Code of Conduct

Thumbs up My impressions on Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent (1981)

This is a complex review of my favorite fragrance.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120917.html
    Kouros was launched in 1981, almost 30 years ago, that is, by the design house of Yves Saint Laurent.
    The perfumer was Pierre Bourdon.
    Now I remind you that there are more positive reviews then negative and neutral combined.

I bought this fragrance about 40 days ago, but I used it almost every day till now.
    I remember, I couldn't believe how big the box is first time I saw it. Then I opened it, and without even spraying, I felt the scent. The bottle was also unbelievably big. I started spraying. The first time you feel this scent you only get incense. And a ton of incense. What I want to say is that the smell I felt the first time is totally different from what I feel now. It isn't the same thing.

Anyway, seems to be highly complex, like all the Yves Saint Laurent scents. They never bore you. You never get tired of them, and they are unique. So unique, that if there are 1000 people in front of you, each wearing a different cologne, you will know which one is Kouros. Even if you hate it. The thing that strikes you most is that this does not have anything you find in a normal fragrance. That's why I give all my respect to this house. The same thing happens with Opium, Rive Gauche, M7 or Live Jazz.
    You will never forget this, no matter how much you drink or how much drugs you use.
    Back to the scent : after you spray it, it will instantly become very strong. Only my JOOP! beats this at that chapter. The whole room will be filled then. Here, please take my advice and don't spray it before getting out of your house. It is better if you spray 30 minutes before you go somewhere.
    After the incense gets you, the mean civet will take you. At this stage, you will probably be confused, asking yourself "what's that", but don't worry, be happy. Here is where you people get the urine, poo or urinal cakes or something note. I have to make a confession : I don't like Kouros the 30 minutes or the first hour. This is very hard to take, even for experienced people. Here's why : because I use 2 sprays. Using only one can solve this problem. Simple.
    I can tell you this now : With every hour it stays on, Kouros gets better. My favorite period: after 8 hours.

The first 4 or 5 hours you will be bombarded with civet, incense and very spicy notes.
    After 5 hours, Kouros instantly transforms into a totally DIFFERENT scent. If Kouros was like this in the beginning, then most people loved it. I guarantee that. You can feel Vanilla,Coriander, Musk, Tonka, Honey, and other sweet notes. You won't believe how sweet this can get. Just how many strangers gave me compliments about this one, especially in the bus !

OK, now I will talk about the longevity.
    This isn't a joke, Kouros can last 2 days, if you don't shower. On me, it normally lasts 18 hours. After 24, I can still feel the scent, but I often become a victim or olfactory fatigue.
    How many sprays : Well, for me 2. For you, please, take my advice, only use 1 spray first time you try it. If you like it, then spray twice.

I may be young for this one, but I don't care. I am very happy with it. You can't take this away from me. It will always be a part of my wardrobe. I love it. You need a lot of confidence and a delicate hand to pull of wearing this beast ? Well, not for me. It is just a fragrance. I would take this with me to heaven, hope God lets me do that.

Alternative : Antaeus (Chanel), Ungaro II, Jicky, Body Kouros

Ratings:
    The smell : 8.5 (I do not really like civet)
    Longevity : 9.5 (More then you need. Everybody will be satisfied about the longevity on this.)
    Projection : 9 (Fills the room instantly, but not as good as Le Male)
    Compliments : 9 (People will notice you, be sure about that)
    Wearability : 8 (I heard many people complaining that they can't safely wear this every day)
    (I wear it every day)
    Final Rating : 8.8 (Very good fragrance. Well above other designer fragrances)

That's all, folks.
    Last edited by Jimi Hendrix; 14th March 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Default Re: My impressions on Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent (1981)

Urina..........

Quote Originally Posted by Abakus View Post
    Urina..........
    Read the review + try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
    Read the review + try it.
    Good job on the review, it surprised me that you gave it relatively high grades, while I understood that you're only 14?

Anyway, I dont like this one, and never will. Sprayed it on once and all I smelled was this chemical, sort of urinal, sweet-sweat smell

Sorry, not for me

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Excellent review.
    Have you added it to our directory?
    I can take several days to get cleared!

Good job!

Thanks, that's more like it. My review on JOOP! will be twice the size of this one. The JOOP! review will be next week.
    OK, I will add this review now to my directory.
    If I wasn't so tired, the review would have been much, much better. Need to go.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
    If I wasn't so tired, the review would have been much, much better. Need to go.
    Only 14 *tsk tsk tsk* what a prodigy!

Awesome Stuff Jimmi...Look forward to your other reviews mate :P

- Balava -
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

great review. Very impressive

For me, the notes sort of collapsed upon themselves after a while, resulting in a "creamy" public men's room type of scent. It certainly isn't something that I find pleasant in any way. I understand it to be a "manly" frag meant to impress others in a particular way. I do like incense, and my favorite incense frag is Messe de Minuit these days. I have a feeling that if you live in a nation where they don't use sanitary cleaning fluids that smell similar to Kouros, you might appreciate it more. Then it might smell more like Sung Homme does to me. Kouros also seems to be good for those with certain kinds of skin chemistry. Perhaps if you have that skin chemistry, the frag "blooms" in a pleasant way, unlike what happened when I tried to wear it (seems like it "got stuck" in the top notes).

Good review!
    I really like the first 4 to 5 hours of Kouros.
    The drydown is nice the heart of Kouros is my favourite stage.
    In the drydown I mostly get honey and honey just isn't my favourite note.
    It is weird, on a paper strip I get a lot of incense but I never smelled incense on me.
    My skin seems to neutralize it in some way.
    Still, I really like Kouros and I will never be without a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Awesome Stuff Jimmi...Look forward to your other reviews mate :P

- Balava -
    Thanks !
    How are the alternatives ? I understood you like Chanel Antaeus very much. Also, you said that Kouros is better then Chanel Antaeus. Didn't you ?
    Are Ungaro II or Jicky alternatives ? They have civet, so why not ?
    How are the marks ? Are they to high ?
    Also, if you WON'T like this, you will like Body Kouros.

-Jimi Hendrix-
    Last edited by Jimi Hendrix; 14th March 2010 at 01:45 PM.

very good review

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

For some reason I've put off reviewing Kouros and I don't even know why... But that's a pretty impressive review, Hendrix. And the tips to wearing it will be handy to first timers, myself included.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Brilliant and very helpful review, Jimi Hendrix!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Jimi Hendrix, what a good review! It can't be your first "Are you experienced?"
    Last edited by boosh; 14th March 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Jimi Hendrix, thanks for putting up such a well witten review ! I always appreciate threads/posts like these. Certainly not "just another Kouros thread". Great job !

I did have the chance to sample Kouros recently. It did not sit well with me But, I will give it a couple of more samplings for sure. It does not have to be something I need to turn into a full bottle. But the experience and understanding of this Bourdon classic is what is important ( to me).

Thanks again.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

My brother had this perfume 2 years ago,when he visited me and I've tried it too. I felt a strange smell on me and I wasn't sure if I like it or not ,all I remember is that my brother was smelling good. Haven't tried it since then.

I find a similar frag, One Man Show, to be a more pleasant smell. However, at first it has a kind of "root beer" thing going on that I don't like. If I spray it on paper, a few hours later, it smells great. But on my skin the top notes don't dissipate quickly enough and it's not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    My brother had this perfume 2 years ago,when he visited me and I've tried it too. I felt a strange smell on me and I wasn't sure if I like it or not ,all I remember is that my brother was smelling good. Haven't tried it since then.
    Well, go and buy it.
    You live in Romania too ?
    You only need 200 RON for a big bottle (100ml). Really !
    I ordered it online. For some fragrances, like Boss No.6 you can go to Carrefour.

You may try fragrancex.com, I buy all my fragrances from them, never had any problem. And you will save 25% of the 200 RON

Very nice review.

You guys are making me crazy with the raving Kouros reviews and remarks.
    I don't like it a lot on a paper strip, but I really want to give it a full wear now!

So send me a sample before I end up buying it blind!!!

excellent review!

My impressions in few words - very very musculine, complex and full of incesne (dominant note) and with a greatest longevity I have see..

I gotta get another bottle.

it's strong and mature , I like it but I am not sure if I love it enough to buy it yet. I like Paco Rabanne ph better in my opinion.