Code of Conduct

Default Happy with my collection

I think I am finally happy with my collection. Not that I don't think it's weak in summer scents. But I am finally happy. Here's what happened. For a long time I was hemming and hawing about whether to buy certain fragrances. Well, I decided to just get them all. First I got Castile. Then picked up a couple bottles Original Guess Men. Happily age has not hurt them. And I got Jaipur Homme EDT and EDP. What the heck. I also bought a bottle of Creed Bois du Portugal. Most expensive juice I've bought. And a bottle of Clubman Bay Rum, which is a fun scent to have. I got some other Clubman scents as blind buys just to get that nostalgia out of my system. But they don't cost much, so no big loss.

Anyway, I did this over a few months. I know this is not mega collecting, but it was big for me. And now I'm feeling better about the collection.

Default Re: Happy with my collection

Sounds nice. I'm still trying to zero in on a good signature summer scent. I thought AdP's Colonia Assoluta might be it but alas, I've had a change of heart and am looking for something more youthful.

I'm still a long way from being happy with my collection. I'm still in 'search and destroy' mode.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

One thing that helped is I gave up on finding a perfect fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B. View Post
    One thing that helped is I gave up on finding a perfect fragrance.
    Real cognition....
    Congratulations.

Other than a few things I'd like to sample, I'm quite content at this point as well. What I actually need to buy soon, though, is some high proof vodka so I can dilute some frags that are way too strong for me.

Im happy with mine too, I just need to buy some Musc Ravageur as a cold weather fragrances and buy another bottle of kenzo power, cause the one I have is the eau de toilette FRAICHE, didn't notice the fraiche so I got the wrong version lol

I will need to sell 5 or 6 fragrances that I don't use too.

So my wardrobe is gonna be like this:

Winter cold weather scents: Musc Ravageur, Dirty English, Cuba Gold, GIT

Fall scents: Gucci pour homme 2, GIT

Spring summer scents: Kenzo Power, GIT

Gonna have to sell my Rochas man, Body Kouros, Angel Men, John Varvatos, Kenzo power eau de toilette fraiche

Still on the fence concerning Lolita Lempicka au masculin and Sugar Lychee.
    Last edited by _FP_; 27th April 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Andrew, so good hearing from you. At some point it seems alot of people hit that plateau where we are happy with our wardrobes, and have found that balance we were looking for. I need to do some house cleaning in my wardrobe, just lazy I guess, but at any rate I find myself in a good place with what I have, and do not see anything on the horizon anytime soon in the way of purchases. Perhaps a backup bottle or two of a few hard to find fragrances that I like, but beyond that I'm pretty satisfied.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    I'm still a long way from being happy with my collection. I'm still in 'search and destroy' mode.
    my sentiments exactly. i am zeroing in on my favorites and have narrowed things down quite a bit but i am not done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Real cognition....
    Congratulations.
    i agree there is no such thing as a perfect cologne i think one can have a nice diverse wardrobe for all occasions but there isn't 1 perfect fragrance. Green Irish Tweed is close but even that doesn't get the cigar.

Congratulations. When I first joined Basenotes, I bought every scent that I read good reviews about. I was very impulsive with my buying habits back then. If I could do it all over again, I would have sampled more and only bought the ones that I really loved. I've trimmed my collection down quite a bit over the past few years and I still have a lot of stuff that I don't wear. My ideal collection would be 10 or less.

I think my collection is pretty good, because I think I have several fragrances for each season. However...I feel like I need more light citruces for spring/summer. I enjoy the ones I have though, but I would like one or two more. Also, I don't have a lot of niche fragrances, so I don't think I will be fully content with my collection until I have tried and acquired a few more niche fragrances.

This is where I'm at, finally. I went back and forth about Terre d'Hermes, GIT and Gucci PH II before I bought each one. This puts me at 10 (tossing the remnants of Ambre), which will take me an eternity to use up. IMHO I have the some of the "best of the best" in my wardrobe, with thanks to this site for the great reviews and knowledge the members possess. Folks here do have good tastes!

It is great to have a decent rotation as I have learned this weekend after wearing M7 and Egoiste for the first time in months. It was like discovering why I liked them all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I think my collection is pretty good, because I think I have several fragrances for each season. However...I feel like I need more light citruces for spring/summer. I enjoy the ones I have though, but I would like one or two more. Also, I don't have a lot of niche fragrances, so I don't think I will be fully content with my collection until I have tried and acquired a few more niche fragrances.
    I'm with you Larwiz, three or four more niche scents and maybe a little trimming of some designer duds I bought and I'm good to go. It has taken me a couple of years to get to this point.

I think my earlier quest for the perfect fragrance might have caused me to pass on some fragrances I might have enjoyed now. And with my new attitude, maybe I would buy them. But I'm not going to worry about this too much now.

Anyway, I do occasionally get samples just for the fun of it. But I'm no longer in quest mode.
    Last edited by Andrew_B.; 30th April 2010 at 03:02 AM.

I seem to be leaning toward Creed lately, I feel they are classy fragrances for all sorts of diff occasions. I my quest is to sniff all the Creeds and get all the ones I want, with all the other products I want lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    my quest is to sniff all the Creeds and get all the ones I want
    Sounds like a fun quest, don't tempt me. :-)

That's great.

I feel like I need to work through a lot of my samples right now. I like them all, but need to figure out which ones I really like. Plus, I'm really averse to wasting and so I'll use up all of my samples (or give them away, sell a few, etc.). I should probably take a break from sampling for a while...

I think by the end of this year I wont need to buy anything for years to come.

Andrew, I'm joining you in being satisfied.

I have recognized in myself an impulse toward perpetual exploration and its corollary, perpetual dissatisfaction, and I have realized that, with the exception of two bay rums, one lavender water, and five other fragrances, my collection has been a revolving door for ages now. I am back to just being in love with what I have, and I still feel that a couple of these are more or less holy grail caliber for me anyway. Perfect? No, but lovable even in their flaws, very wearable, and each of them is something I feel like I could wear every day. I am getting off of the crazy train while I can, having sold off countless bottles in recent months. I still have 10-12 samples from LuckyScent, Soivohle, Atelier, etc. to unload, but then it's just about enjoying what I have. The quest is grand, but for me it always ends in hoarding and heartbreak, so why not quit while I'm ahead?

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man