Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a good vetiver scent

Hey guys/gals I'm looking for a good vetiver scent hopefully something of the fresh side and lasting. I have guerlain vetiver and it doesn't last very long at all. I'm not overly concerned with price although i'm in canada so more than likely have to buy blindly online unless i can find it in sephora/holts renfrew etc.

Default Re: Looking for a good vetiver scent

Although getting much less public exposure than the famous vetiver scents by Guerlain, Givenchy or Creed, there is Lanvin Vetiver, a slightly more contemporary and easygoing, yet also surprisingly elegant and understated reinterpretation of this classic ingredient, plus also available at quite affordable prices at most online retailers

Mugler Cologne.

Lorenzo Villoresi - Vetiver
    Tauer Perfumes - Vetiver Dance
    i Profumi di Firenze - Vetiver di Giava (Vetiver of Giava)

Since you are in Canada, The Bay (larger stores in your location) carry Givenchy Vetyver. And Holts carries Jo Malone Vetiver. Both of these are cheery, basic and enjoyable vetivers.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

My number one is Vétiver Extraordinaire On me it lasts an eternity (at least twelve hours).
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Carry a small atomiser of your favorite scent. There's no reason for lack of longevity to limit your enjoyment.

Some of my favorite greener vetivers:-

Chanel Sycomore - deep, foresty even resinuous
    Chanel No.19 - green floral dry vetiver
    Paul Smith Story - green, vegetal
    F Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - excellent all rounder
    Lanvin Vetyver - understated casual vetiver
    Kenzoair by Kenzo - airy uplifting vetiver
    Creed Original Vetiver - clean green elegant vetiver

M; Men dries down to a similar frag as Guerlain's Vetiver, except that it has a tea note rather than the clove (or whatever it is) in the most recent Vetiver formulation. M; Men is the only vetiver frag I now look forward to wearing once in a while. There is Vetiver de Puig, but I find that the aldehydes up top irritate me and ruin it for me. Perhaps one day I will be able to appreciate it again.

I'll have to ditto the Tauer Vetiver Dance. To me it "resembles" Guerlain's Vetiver but lasts much longer. I don't detect much vetiver at all in Lanvin's version and I have a similar reaction to either of Creed's, although I think Original Vetiver is decent and certainly "fresh." I will also second Givenchy's Vetyver, which is a solid composition, a classic that in its current formulation is not a far cry from its original.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Dependent

French Lover / Bois d'Orage (Edition de Parfums, Malle) is a rather bright, clear and fresh (crisp) vetiver scent. Encre Noire to my nose, is not as dark as the name potrays. It is vetiver-y but done in a clear, fresh-modern way. The freshness in these 2 do not rely on citrus. Both are pretty lasting on my skin...
    Last edited by MFJ; 8th April 2010 at 08:48 PM.

I second the pocket atomizer. I LOVE Guerlain Vetiver and have the same problem, it just doesn't last... but if I spray a couple times throughout the day, it gives me the whole round of top mid base again and is lovely. It's "light green"

And for "dark green"... Sycomore is long-lived AND wonderful. Some think of it as linear, I rather think the linearity is a gorgeous, seamless drydown. It is different in the middle and bottom, but subtly so.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

U already have an answer. But before u buy, try this one: L`Occitane en Provence - Eau de Vétyver, that is really nice scent. It is not assailant as others can be, and definetively try Profumum Roma - Fumidus. That is a very complicated and difficult perfume. That perfume will show u a dry, strong, barely dressable vetiver.

Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Tauer Vetiver Dance is the bomb!

Some more good suggestions. L'Occitane should have an outlet near wherever you are. And Encre Noir is at Holts.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

For a bright sharp vetiver I would suggest Montale Red Vetyver.

Another vote for Encre Noire if you really want a "full on" vetiver or Mugler cologne if you want something much lighter.

Vetiver by Fragonard

I like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. I just wish it lasted longer. Others have remarked on 8+ hours whereas I seem to only get 3-5. It all amounts to a persons skin chemistry though, I'm sure. It easily lasts days on my clothes.

Would recommend Givenchy Vetyver http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121665.html

Great all-rounder, lovely. Not wildly expensive either.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - Masculine and sexy

My thoughts:
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire is probably the best, brightest vetiver available, but it isn't cheap. Lasts for a good long time.
    Chanel Sycomore is a warm, smoky take on vetiver, like a bright sun on a foggy day. It is my favorite vetiver fragrance.
    Lalique Encre Noire is a cooler, smokier, grassier take on vetiver, but similar to Sycomore in many ways. The top notes are truly reminiscent of the smell of black ink. And some folks are drawn to the Iso-E super, which EN has by the bucketful. Also the most affordable of all recommended thus far.
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, to my nose, is a more subtly vetiver-y scent. It is not a bad scent, mind you, but the vetiver is part of a bigger construction. And if longevity is your goal, this one is middling in that regard.
    Mugler cologne, same deal... vetiver is there, but it's part of a broader soapy/floral fresh scent.
    Hermessence Vetiver Tonka is exactly what it says... two classic notes blended carefully with a few dashes of complimentary scents. If you like grassy vetiver mixed with the vanilla/hay accord of coumarin enough to spend the money, this is your juice.
    I've only given Fragonard's Vetyver a cursory examination, but it seems to be a well-constructed classic cologney vetiver with a nice woody finish. Can't speak to its longevity.
    Parfums di Nicolai makes a Vetyver too. Has a spicy, mildly bitter herbal quality to it, which contrasts nicely with the sweet warmth of the base. Also doesn't last that long.

Edit: And now I notice that this thread was started over a year ago... Look at the dates before you respond, people!
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2