Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Looking for some new spring and summer recommendations

I am currently looking for some new fragrances for this spring/summer (casual bars, clubs, class, day at the beach etc. obviously different ones for different occasions). Does anyone have any recommendations specifically for day and night wear in these two hot Los Angeles seasons? Since it can't hurt to add, I am 22 and a pretty casual t-shirt and jeans kind of guy (or I guess shorts/flip flops for summer). I have approximately $200 to spend via Amazon giftcard.

I currently use:
    Lacoste Essential for day wear (Works great for my day classes at UCLA)
    Armani Code for night wear (seems to work great for casual nights or more romantic nights)
    CK Euphoria (Use it at my internship)

I also just picked up Nautica Voyage which I really like, as do most women, though I am still deciding what situations it works best for. I also picked up Tuscan Soul which really smells great, but has terrible longevity (I guess that is expected for $18).

I received a few fragrances from a friend, but do not think they really fit Spring or Summer: Joop Jump and Azzaro Visit.

I read through through the forums and picked up a few ideas, but would like more insight as to which fragrances would best fit my situation in these two upcoming seasons. Some of the ones people have mentioned for my age group:

Le Male
    Musc Ravageur
    Rochas Man
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine

I have not had a chance to smell any of these yet, I hope to hit up the mall this week to do some testing, but I still am new to fragrances and would love some pairing assistance. Essential and Code were found by dumb luck and I love them and get huge compliments, but I don't know how luckily I will be again buying blind

I oddly enough remember my first cologne being D'issey Pour Homme and thinking it smelled great, but I was 14 and bought a bottle of it at the mall to impress my first girlfriend, and after seeing people mention it here I am wondering if I should go back and revisit it.

Anyways, I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Edit: Since it may get recommended, I have Acqua di Gio and Coolwater (gifts), and despise them. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but in LA the connotation of these two fragrances definitely clash with the type of person I am. My Persian friends think I'm crazy to say the least haha.
    Last edited by buyza54; 8th April 2010 at 08:14 PM.

Default Re: Looking for some new spring and summer recommendations

Mugler Cologne
    Creed Imperial
    L'eau d'Issey Summer
    Terre d'Hermes
    Acqua di Parma Assoluta
    Gendarme
    Jo Malone Grapefruit

It's just a matter of time before somebody mentions it, so I'll go ahead and say it...Thierry Mugler's AMen Sunessence. There.

For day wear a good one to look into is Tommy Bahama: Set Sail St. Barts or L'eau Par Kenzo. For night time events, I would say Lacoste: Pour Homme (Gray) or Kenneth Cole: Black.

Hope you like
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

The ones listed for your age group are very nice scents but I would not suggest them for summer and hot weather. They are far to potent and will become annoying and obnoxious to you and the people around you. I would suggest:

chanle allure homme sport
    versace man eau fraiche
    mugler cologne
    lacoste style and play red

Yachting and/or Beach by Pascal Morabito

I highly suggest True Religion for a great summer scent. It takes a lot of the aquatic nature from Bvlgari Aqua and adds a citrusy / floral edge to it - very fresh and very unique.

http://www.fragrancegarage.ca/assets...Religion_M.jpg

If I had some money, I'd buy Creed's Green Valley for the summer! Probably the most underrated fragrance EVER!!
    Also:

L'eau D'Issey and Bond no. 9 Bleecker Street!

All the posts above give GREAT advice, too! As always...
    Last edited by boosh; 8th April 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Judging by what you wear, it looks like longevity won't be an issue for you.. Which leaves us with a ton more options. The ones people recommended to you listed in your OP are all basically gourmands. Since you'll be ordering from Amazon, and I'm a long time buyer with them.. I basically know their inventory by heart, so I'm gonna give some recommendations based on your OP. Cool Water of course which can be worn during any season, Curve - versatile citrus frag, Fuel for life by Diesel - this one like most Diesel frags lasts long. Tommy Bahama is one of my favorites of all time, it's a summer fragrance easily but can be worn during any season.. It has a completely different twist than your typical citrusy summer fragrances.. TB goes more for unique with all of his fragrances. Many of the Perry Ellis 360's are good. Judging by what your used to wearing and maybe wanting to take a jump to Le Male, you may actually wanna go with the much cheaper slightly lighter version of Le Male which is PE 360 White - a very good fragrance at a low price. Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine is a light gourmand IMO, though some would disagree.. it starts off like licorice then turns into vanilla wafers - very sexy from beginning to end. Set Sail St Barts by TB.. I know Amazon sells this one and as recommended earlier. It's an amazing scent on the one side but on the other it's not that versatile and has poor longevity -- imagine tequila and fresh limes, and you have this. Michael Jordan is a sporty/summer scent to me, it smells like fresh cut grass and a little pepper.. projects well.. lasts fairly long for its price.

Last edited by The_Cologneist; 8th April 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I would not recommend buying L'eau D'Issey or any other offerings from Issey Miyake before smelling them first.
    Why?
    I feel this fragrance is easily loveable, even to the most amateur nose.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Why?
    I feel this fragrance is easily loveable, even to the most amateur nose.
    Well I removed that after rereading and seeing he used to own it. LD can be extremely overpowering to some. As it is to me, plus I just strongly dislike the smell and I usually and neutral or above average on such praised fragrances.

Awesome suggestions guys and gals, I really appreciate. Any recommendations more for night wear at bars that are more casual? I am going to hit the mall tomorrow to do some testing so the more the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by buyza54 View Post
    Awesome suggestions guys and gals, I really appreciate. Any recommendations more for night wear at bars that are more casual? I am going to hit the mall tomorrow to do some testing so the more the merrier!
    Aside from the two I listed above, you could also try out Victoria Secret: Very Sexy for Him 2.
    Last edited by Geikamir; 9th April 2010 at 06:29 AM.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

I posted similar thread few days ago, and there were many good recommendations. I can advise you to try - Lacoste Style in Play - its nice woody/green apple piece for casual wear, maybe DG pour homme - its sweeter but nice clean,soaply frag with good longevity.
    Hermes Terre is one of the best but I prefer it during winter time, but you can try it too, mabe it will satisfy.

hey dude, here are the ones i use for spring/summer.

day green frag- lacoste essential (good call on that one).

day citrus/fruit frag- lacoste style in play aka lacoste red (girls love this one. it's fruity but not girly).

day acquatic/ocean scent- Polo Blue This one is a nice ocean water scent.

day "other" scent- Curve(original) (This one smells good, what it smells like, I can't pin point).

night club scent-Armani Code or D&G-The One Both are solid club/night scents.

special occasion night scent with my gf- Angel Men: Pure Malt (she goes crazy when I wear this one. but it's about $100+ per bottle, since it's been discontinued).

Also, I was thinking about picking up Voyage... how is the longevity and projection for it? Somebody said longevity is 2-3 hrs for voyage.. which is weak IMO. I don't need something to last me all day, but atleast 4-6 hrs would be nice with moderate projection..

i prefer Versace Pour Hommme over Channel Allure sport...but both are great summer/spring frags

Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas
    Versace Pour Homme
    L'Eau Bleue D' Issey Miyake
    Ice Men by Thierry Mugler
    and this underrated and cheaply frag..Claiborne Sport

Interesting seeing so many Lacoste Style in Play recommendations. I've always liked this one, but never bought it. It's always just been on my "some day" list. This thread is kinda pushing that some day date closer and closer. For spring and summer, I would consider the Cartier's Declaration flankers. My favorite is Essence...I think that would be nice in warmer weather. Try Burberry's the Beat and Burberry classic as well. Jo Malone has a few citrucy fragramces...lime basil and mandarin AND Grapefruit would make for good warm weather fragrances as well. Consider Lancome Hypnose. It's not a citrus, but I use to enjoy it in the spring.

chrome or mugler cologne is nice for freshness. a men, burberry london and joop for winter and night.
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 11th April 2010 at 08:30 PM.

Oh, how could I forget, my favorite fragrance. I think you can wear this one year round: Gucci Pour Homme 2. Check it out!

Check out L'EAU PAR KENZO POUR HOMME

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    Good one here, different to say the least -- Smells like lemonade in the opening, pink lemonade in the middle then mixes with a somewhat synthetic smelling green pepper base. Very refreshing though and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Oh, how could I forget, my favorite fragrance. I think you can wear this one year round: Gucci Pour Homme 2. Check it out!
    I wouldn't recommend this, as nice as it is.. It can be very hard to wear because it's so subtle and doesn't project at all. But it is a very nice smell indeed.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 11th April 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Fantastic stuff! Definitely +1

On top of that I would say you should try out Kenzo Power. I've been wearing the hell out of that lately
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Hmm. I'll have to look into Kenzo Power.

Kenzo Power
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Mugler Cologne (this one will be my 2010 official summer fragrance)
    L'Eau par Kenzo
    Dior Homme Sport.

By the way, last summer I wore Dior Homme sport and let me tell you that I got a lot of positive comments from woman.

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    I wore this again today. God, it's awesome smelling.

It would be nice if we could somehow consolidate all of these threads. I'm having a hard time keeping up!

A great designer evening bar/casual scent is Romance Silver Men. It's fruity (grapes) and slightly floral (violet) but combined with tobacco, fir/pine and slightly metallic musks. It would blend well with the smoke of a bar, imo. Many reviews claim it to be weak or have bad projection but I think they are suffering olfactory fatigue as I can, as can my g/f and other outside sources, smell this easily hours after application with only 1 spray. It's a great scent for warm (but not swelteringly hot) summer evenings.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Cool Re: Looking for some new spring and summer recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by buyza54 View Post
    I am currently looking for some new fragrances for this spring/summer . . . Does anyone have any recommendations specifically for day and night wear in these two hot Los Angeles seasons?
    Since it can't hurt to add, I am 22 and a pretty casual t-shirt and jeans kind of guy . . .

I currently use:
    Lacoste Essential for day wear (Works great for my day classes at UCLA)
    Armani Code for night wear (seems to work great for casual nights or more romantic nights)
    CK Euphoria (Use it at my internship)

. . .I read through through the forums and picked up a few ideas, but would like more insight as to which fragrances would best fit my situation in these two upcoming seasons. Some of the ones people have mentioned for my age group:

Le Male
    Musc Ravageur
    Rochas Man

I have not had a chance to smell any of these yet . . .

. . .Anyway I appreciate any help you guys can give me me!
    Help is on its way!

Lacoste Essential is perfect for office wear and classes at UCLA, It won't offend anyone.

However since you brought up the age group thing (22) permit me to disclose that I think Lacoste Essential is best suited for pot bellied men in their 50's and up as they walk their dog in the park, or play a round of golf with other pot bellied buddies while wearing their white short sleeve polo shirts with the dumb green crocodile Lacoste logo.

I'll refrain from commenting on the other two.

Naw, I won't, I'll just keep it brief: If you've ever felt that Armani Code may sometimes be a little hard to pull off in clubs or dinner dates if the air conditioner is not working--

---You're headed for big trouble in our wonderful desert land with;

Le Male
    Musc Ravageur
    Rochas Man

These are very heavy and can be very cloying.

(Not to mention that 22 is much too old for Lolita Lampicka Au Masculine)

Seriously, in the category of 'oriental ' scents (or in the case of Rochas Man, gourmand scents) they're best used in WINTER. Especially when you live in our scorched valley of Smog and Sun.

Please take your time when trying them and remember that you're in an air conditioned mall.

Don't trust what the person behind the counter is pushing this week!

If you feel you're being " sold " just smile tell them how much you LOVE Aqua Di Gio, and do they think this will work for a guy that likes it?

Hell, they'll probably tell you how Lolita Lempicka is so much like ADG (sure) Or how nearly everyone who liked ADG also bought Le Male. (sure)

*sigh*

I'm too damned tired right now to offer recommendations but I'll post them at a more convenient time.
    I feel like I've done my good deed for the day by talking you from jumping from a 10 story window.

Please gentlemen, keep posting suggestions and if you can, tell him WHY you think that the juice you suggest might work.

Best of Luck, buyza54

--And welcome to the madness!

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 12th April 2010 at 07:38 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Someone might bash me for this but you should check out Bond no 9's Fire Island for a beachtime scent. It's a very synthetic but not overly sweet sort of glorified sun lotion. Kind of mindblowingly expensive for how linear it is but the more I try it on the more I like it.

Keep in mind it's use is VERY narrow. Beachtime only. But I think it's a pretty awesome scent.

you should try dunhill DESIRE blue..... sure a hit for warm days.

I would also say dunhill desire blue, this stuff is as aquatic as you can get, its like really nice smelling exotic water, but in the best possible way. Poor longevity as with most aquatics though.
    Got Musc Ravageur/Tobacco Vanille?

Fancy sample swapping? PM ME!

Ferragamo F Pour Homme.