Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea by Guerlain

So I wore this from a sample, last week - several times.

It reminded me initially, of honeysuckle. Vividly, as if you're sucking on a flower, in a garden, with pollen and bees swirling all around me. Then there's this fascinating half-note of orange blossom...kind of like what JC Ellena did with lavender in his Hermessence Brin de Reglisse...it's as if the orange blossom has been split in half and I could only smell a segment of it. Really neat. Not indolic at all, very fresh and slightly fizzy. Like orange blossom soda, if there was such a thing. Eventually I could smell the honey, but it's a very subtle honey accord...not urinous at all.

Longevity is abysmal, but then that's the nature of most of the 'modern' AA scents.

I am considering a bottle of this, when I see it discounted. For now, I'd love to hear from others who've smelled it.

Oh and BTW Guerlain actually made a short animated film about the scent, which is very cute (and very French). You can see it here: http://www.aqua-allegoria.com/aqua-allegoria.html

Default Re: Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea by Guerlain

Thanks for the review - I'm so glad it's a nice one! I love the sound of it - vivid honeysuckle then non-indolic orange blossom soda (!) and non-urinous honey you say? What's not to love?! And I'll admit that I was completely taken in by the charming marketing the moment I saw it - I'm such a sucker for anything "pretty pretty" so it's extra gratifying when it's actually a good product!

I tried it in Paris last month. I think it's the first AA in recent memory that actually smells of quality. A truly lovely and soft honeyed white floral. Le sucre du printemps!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th April 2010 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    orange blossom soda
    Now *there* is a million-dollar idea. I don't even drink soda but...hell, I could start.

I have avoided the AA series, like the CDG Parfum series, because there are so many of them and I just know that sampling even one would make me feel obligated to try them all. The AA line doesn't really sound like my sort of thing anyway but I liked your review just the same.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 9th April 2010 at 02:42 AM.

Sur la Plage

It was way too light and floral for my liking.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I forgot to mention: I remember someone saying that it smelled like Apres l'Ondee, but I don't think it smells like it at all.

Emlynevermore: There are some real winners in the AA line, but there are also some real duds. Start with the oldest ones and work your way forward, is my advice. I am seriously in love with Winter Delice and Lavande Velours.

Another thing that has troubled me about these periodic releases is the widely-varying availability within the series, i.e. falling for a girl vanished into the night, like Lavande Velours, which sounds wonderful, by the way, and right up my alley (And the notes list for Winter Delice reads like Christmas morning!).

Eventually attempting to track down a bottle after my current vetiver sampling kick concludes might become much more difficult than it is now. In any event, the lavender is definitely going in my next sample order, so much obliged for the suggestion.

Pity I don't care for honeysuckle.

It's a charming scent. Love the name in particular -- beautiful.

I didn't care for it at first; I found it inspid. It didn't take too long, however, before I found myself enjoying it more and more. It gets well into its stride by the time it reaches its middle, and (on my skin) is quite transformed by its drydown, by which time it is very beautiful.

I shall not purchase, but it's one of those "I'd be happy to be offered this as a gift" scent.

My fave AAs are Pamplelune and Gentiana. Both delightful.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Smelled this today for the first time - really nice. Got a sample and will give it a real wear, but on paper it is very, very natural and fresh. Easily the most impressive thing I tested today.

I also like Pampelune quite a bit. I think this one could be a contender for my #1 AA.

This perfume has rocketed to the top of my wife's "love" list... only one of two Guerlain fragrances that my wife is wild about.

I actually sniffed this today! A nice scent but not unique enough to make me buy a bottle. Very floral and sweet, so I think they are reaching for the under-25 female market.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

I hope to get a bottle this coming Spring, if I can find it at a discount, or a decant.

Dimitri, do you smell any similarities to this and L'Abeille de Guerlain?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    This perfume has rocketed to the top of my wife's "love" list... only one of two Guerlain fragrances that my wife is wild about.
    Your wife is probably like mine about Guerlain. Mine has several of them, from classic to modern, but she tends to find their scents heavy and (her words) "cosmetic" in feel. Which goes along with the fact that she's a fan of several JCE scents - she loves light, natural, and EDC-ish. This could be her favorite Guerlain. I got the sample for both of us, actually, but I'll have to get my wear in first, because my wife has no problem emptying a sample in three days if she loves it, and this one is light enough to disappear in two.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I actually sniffed this today! A nice scent but not unique enough to make me buy a bottle. Very floral and sweet, so I think they are reaching for the under-25 female market.
    Agreed - I did not drop coin on it, but if the sample impresses, this could complete my six-pack when I visit the boutique.

Yes, probably will be popular with the young-uns. It was sitting on the "hot-sell" pedestal at Sephora, on the women's aisle, labeled as the "fun and flirty" option, or something like that. WHAT....EVAH. It smells great.

(Guess what was on levels 2 and 3 of the pedestal? BLEU DE CHANEL. TONS of it. The Bleu Blitz continues.... )