Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Osmanthus, with a masculine twist?

I did a bit of searching without much luck (at least of anything less than 4 years old )

I love the smell of Osmanthus... enough that I have a big plant outside my back door so it smells strongly of it when I come or go.

It seems that many Osmanthus soliflores are aimed at the female market by adding a touch of sweetness, other white flower notes, and the like.

Does anyone know of any fabulous Osmanthus centered scents (and I mean really a star rather than just a note in the listing) that have supporting notes that are more traditionally masculine, such as leather, patchouli, etc?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Osmanthus, with a masculine twist?

Well, Mr. Moderator, you seem to have totally stumped the panel !! Surely someone out there can provide a little insight.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you smelled Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale?

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes wonder if there if is Osmanthus in Daim Blond helping with the 'apricot' accord - best I can do . . .

Luca Turin believes that the Patou's osmanthus centered 1000 'would make a great masculine'. I love it, but what do I know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you smelled Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale?
    I have, but I tend to get a spicy, warm vibe from it, not too unlike Tea for Two or SL 5o'clock. I do really enjoy it though!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I sometimes wonder if there if is Osmanthus in Daim Blond helping with the 'apricot' accord - best I can do . . .
    An apricot accord sounds kinda delicious I think I have a sample of that at home - I'll give it a few squirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Luca Turin believes that the Patou's osmanthus centered 1000 'would make a great masculine'. I love it, but what do I know?
    That sounds awesome, from reading reviews. I'm definitely going to track down a sample. Thanks!
    Last edited by jrd4t; 23rd April 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Parfum d'Empire's Osmanthus Interdite is a beautiful Osmanthus with enough musk to make it unisex to my mind, it surely smells gorgeous on DH's skin. It lists rose and jasmine in notes, but I think it is much more Chinese tea, Osmanthus and musk.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    If you sample 1000, try to source vintage EdP or parfum. My God, what a knock-out that stuff is. Quite a beast of a floral. But honestly, I do NOT think it smells like an osmanthus bush (which I have smelled, and love). 1000 smells like nothing else in the planet. The civet, the darkness of the floralness...it's its own creation.

Post Thanks / Like

If you sample 1000, try to source vintage EdP or parfum. My God, what a knock-out that stuff is. Quite a beast of a floral. But honestly, I do NOT think it smells like an osmanthus bush (which I have smelled, and love). 1000 smells like nothing else in the planet. The civet, the darkness of the floralness...it's its own creation.
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'll try the parfum and EDP at the store this week.

I have a sample of Osmanthus Interdite that I've only swiped once - I'll try giving it a spray wearing within the next few days.

I’m fortunate to have osmanthus in my frontyard and a pomelo tree in my backyard. Perfumers will never capture their dynamic and ethereal qualities. Sillage would also be a problem with osmanthus if they present it as is because it projects like crazy. Jrd4t, what are your thoughts on the osmanthus scents that you have tried?
    Last edited by Potpourri; 23rd April 2010 at 08:36 AM.

Didn't Luca Turin also state Habit Rouge has osmanthus? I don't have The Guide in front of me....
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I find The Different Company's Osmanthus rather masculine, which is why I gave mine away to a man. I suppose some would find it non-gender, but for me it's just not feminine enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I think so too, Mr. R

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Asha just made my day . . . so I'll pipe up again and say I'm also with lilybelle on the TDC Osmanthus. I bought one of those small travel bottles and really enjoy it - it is bright but I can wear it comfortably much like a simple Neroli / Orange Flower Eau de Cologne style scent. I see it as a light summer / outdoors kind of thing if you're feeling good . . . it may be too sweet for some guys.

The Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan (also JCE) is beautiful but this one is more 'femme' for my personal taste - I have bought it for a couple of women who appreciate it so I get to experience it from time to time.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, now I must try The Different Company's...everyone's comments have me intrigued.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, now I must try The Different Company's...everyone's comments have me intrigued.
    Me too - I think I had a travel spray at one point a long time ago, but never really gave it a chance and ended up selling it thinking I'd never wear it much. Pity Now I have to revisit!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pancks View Post
    Parfum d'Empire's Osmanthus Interdite is a beautiful Osmanthus with enough musk to make it unisex to my mind, it surely smells gorgeous on DH's skin. It lists rose and jasmine in notes, but I think it is much more Chinese tea, Osmanthus and musk.
    +1 on this one. My favorite Osmanthus based fragrance. Osmanthe Yunnan is a close second, but it smells more like tea.
    Evenstar