Code of Conduct

Default Help me find a dark oriental

Hey guys

I'm attempting to find a scent for my gf's birthday, but she (like me) is a fussy perfume-wearer.
    I need something not overly floral, and she hates rose scent.

What I'm after is something smoky, leathery or perhaps spicy and woody, something along the lines of Burberry London for men, but for women, but not London for women.

the current candidates are
    Tom Ford's Japon Noir
    Bulgari's Jasmin Noir (she seems to like this, although she usually doesn't like jasmine - wtf?)

anyways, cheers in advance guys!

edit - more specific details
    Last edited by Mondrian; 9th April 2010 at 01:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help me find a dark oriental

Buying fragrance for a lady is like buying her clothing or shoes. Your chances of getting it exactly right are slim. I would first have flowers delivered with a card with your genuine sentiment, then take her to fragrance sources and let her choose her own fragrance, then take her out for dinner and dancing. This is a sure way to make her birthday especially memorable. Show her chivalry is not dead.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 9th April 2010 at 03:54 AM.

Hillaire

The dark Oriental I love that is new is Natori. It's a classic Oriental, very heady and sexy.

If you want a smoky Oriental I recommend Chergui by Lutens. It's unisex, and not at all floral.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Buying fragrance for a lady is like buying her clothing or shoes. Your chances of getting it exactly right are slim. I would first have flowers delivered with a card with your genuine sentiment, then take her to fragrance sources and let her choose her own fragrance, then take her out for dinner and dancing. This is a sure way to make her birthday especially memorable. Show her chivalry is not dead.
    This is the best suggestion ever for showing your SO appreciation!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

YSL's Opium parfum extrait. Get it before it's reformulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    The dark Oriental I love that is new is Natori. It's a classic Oriental, very heady and sexy...
    Is Natori so new that it is not in the basenotes directory?

Uh, yeah, thanks.

So what fragrance would you recommend again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    YSL's Opium parfum extrait. Get it before it's reformulated.
    Sorry for being a copycat, but I have to second this (since I didn´t answer to your question, either).
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Hillaire

It's called "to be announced" in the basenotes directory. From Josie Natori

N_Tesla said it BEST....+1 for Chergui, PERFECTION.

Blog Entries

I agree with your gf about Jasmin Noir, and I don't like many jasmines either. I can't think of many things to top Japon Noir, but if you can, try Michele Bergman Black Amber and Donna Karan Black Cashmere. Also, with the weather warming up (at least for those of us on the top half of the globe), she might enjoy Jo Malone Dark Amber Ginger Lily. It's not especially "dark" but it is unusual and just marvelous imo.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Oh...coooooooooomeooooooon..just marry me,Tesla, please!!!

Anyway..what comes to mind right now is Habanita (smoke-leather-powder oriental!) you can get it pretty cheap online, and the bottle's very classy!

+1 on YSL Opium extrait. That's the first thing that came to mind when OP mention "dark oriental, no roses".

I might also consider compositions like:

By Kilian Cruel Intentions
    Sonoma Scent Studio Ambre Noir
    Le Labo Patchouli 24
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 9th April 2010 at 11:59 AM.

All you need is "7 Sens" by Sonia Rykiel - dark, very dark, mysterious ... but if you can find it ))))

Bulgari Black maybe?

Un profumo affettuoso

How about Noir Epices by Michel Roudnitska for F. Malle?
    Or Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens?
    I'd also think Organza Indécence by Givenchy would suit your girl-friend.

Opium is great, but a bit too conventional/trite if you want to make a special present! I'd opt for s.th. which is more exclusive.

Blog Entries

I highly second Jalé's recommendation of Fumerie Turque. I have it and should have mentioned it myself. After a glance at my wardrobe, I realize I also should have named Feminite du Bois (I have the original Shiseido, which is preferred by some here to the recent Serge Lutens release), Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon (pay no attention to my review; I must edit my old impressions), Armani Privé Ambre Soie, and Idole de Lubin.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Chergui is stunning...Sweet...Rich...Warm...Enveloping...I love the stuff.

I totally agree on Fumerique Turque.

have her smell a bunch of frags, get her lots of samples. and later on get her the one she likes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    have her smell a bunch of frags, get her lots of samples. and later on get her the one she likes.
    +1, I like that one...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Banned

Sonoma Scents "Fireside" or "Fireside Intense" - the latter has a great leather note.
    Last edited by Madame du Barry; 11th April 2010 at 10:16 AM.