Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Consistency in style

11 55.00%
  • inconsistency in style

9 45.00%

Default consistency in style vs inconsistency in style

For the past couple of weeks I have been exploring further Montale and Padra. Both have a very similar common denominator.In other words what ever fragrance you smell from those two houses its easly recognized as such. Two other houses that are very linear in their dry down (range wise) are Creed and Guerlain , among others (Andy Tauer as well).

My question is: Do you like better those houses with a "signature" style? or Do you like better houses that change drastically from one fragrance to the next? For instance YSL (first one that comes to mind).Which one do you find more artistic? The one keeping a personal style or the one constantly exploring new routes?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: consistency in style vs inconsistency in style

This is a tricky one. I believe that the house with the greatest consistency in style (from tha ones that I have tried of course) is probably L' Artisan Parfumeur. I have found several fragrances from this house that I like but the more I try the less I feel like actually owning a bottle. There is an opressive underlying accord in every scent and somewhere along their progression one tends to smell different bits and pieces from different other scents of the house. Duchaufour's creations for Eau d' Italie on the other hand share a common style but not a specific accord.
    Serge Lutens on the other hand is quite consistent in style but the core of the consistency is taking several ideas ti their extremes. The sweet spice accord is their in most fragrances but the ones that I consider more impressive are the ones that break from this rule (Borneo, VO, Sarassins, ISM, Tubereuse Criminele).
    To wrap this up, I like consistency in ideas but consistency in use of materials is really boring and sort of drags the entire line in a level of interest which is lower than the level of interest of each individual fragrance.

I prefer houses that tend to keep their own personal style.

Basenotes Plus

Unless the house is known for its bold, trail-blazing culture, I'd rather it maintains a consistent style. But adding one or two off beat releases to their stable is ok, just to push some boundaries...

By the way Basteri, which houses did you have in mind as polar examples of the two choices?

I think YSL is the best sample.
    Kouros
    Body Kouros
    M7
    Rive Gauche
    Opium
    YSL pour Homme
    L´Homme
    Can you tell any YSL DNA?
    Christian Dior can be also a good sample.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I also tend to appreciate the houses with a certain consistency in their style, since they may add a certain distinctive note to the wearer

I like it when every single cologne I smell from a company is different and unique from it's brothers. It makes the search a bit harder, but more rewarding in the end.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

I prefer houses with a signature style and like each of my favourite houses for their particular house notes.

For example Etro for the museum vibes, Serge Lutens for the magic carpet rides, Caron and (classic) Guerlain for the smells of the lost lost world, Annick Goutal for the love & romance oozing from their scents etc.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Oddly enough I like both consistency in style AND inconsistency in style. I think I would like houses to keep producing new fragrances with particular house notes as well as experimenting with altered and/or totally different styles without those particular house notes. Push the envelope! Wonderful things will happen
    Last edited by kbe; 10th April 2010 at 02:17 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I'd rather classify fragrances by perfumer, as opposed to house. That way styles are more consistent. Most houses with a consistent style are those with an in-house perfumer that creates most of, but not always all their fragrances (eg. Serge Lutens = Christopher Sheldrake, Creed = Olivier Creed, Guerlain = Guerlinade [re-interpreted by different Guerlain family members over the years], Hermes = Jean-Claude Ellena, Prada (for men) = Daniela Andrier, Jean-Paul Gaultier = Francis Kurkdjian, etc).

Edit: Sorry, forgot to answer the OP's question. I don't really care whether a house in consistent or not. I do however, prefer one fragrance to smell totally different from the next (regardless of the perfume house).
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 10th April 2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I'd rather classify fragrances by perfumer, as opposed to house. That way styles are more consistent. Most houses with a consistent style are those with an in-house perfumer that creates most of, but not always all their fragrances (eg. Serge Lutens = Christopher Sheldrake, Creed = Olivier Creed, Guerlain = Guerlinade [re-interpreted by different Guerlain family members over the years], Hermes = Jean-Claude Ellena, Prada (for men) = Daniela Andrier, Jean-Paul Gaultier = Francis Kurkdjian, etc).

Edit: Sorry, forgot to answer the OP's question. I don't really care whether a house in consistent or not. I do however, prefer one fragrance to smell totally different from the next (regardless of the perfume house).
    You have a very good point but I believe the prtfolio is more important than the perfumer. Look at how different thw work of Duchaufour is in different houses (L'AP/ EdI/ Amouage) and how strongly the creative direction of Serge Lutens has influenced Sheldrake's work. After all the limitations imposed to a creator is what really makes him push the envelope.
    Last edited by cpk; 10th April 2010 at 06:56 PM.