Code of Conduct

Thread: Bvlgari PH Soir

Default Bvlgari PH Soir

I have sampled this frag twice now and the second time I've gotten something totally different from it. The first time was a very clean, "citrus/airy/tea" smell. The second time was more of a close to the skin earthy, wet tone. Hard to describe but I dont know if something else I tested on my wrist came in contact with it or what happened. But I didnt like it as much on the second try. Just curious if other people got what I got on the second try.

And who knows, my nose could have been fried last night from all the sniffing.

Default Re: Bvlgari PH Soir

I love this one but my impression is closer to your second experience. To me it is the best of the Bulgari pH line exactly because it manages to couple a dirty eatrhy note with an etherial iris. The result is like seeing Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde sitting in the same room. And the tea note is less strong.

I think I was just taken for a loop there for a while. It's definitely a good smell and I like it better than the original Pour Homme. Im wondering if on the first sampling I got more on my shirt sleeve and not enough on my skin and didnt get the full drydown effect that sometimes happens when the frag is only on the skin. Will definitely be investigating this one more.

...or it could have been mixed with some previous fragrance on the shirt or a citrusy shower gel.

I should give this one another try - I sampled it long ago as was distinctly unimpressed, compared to the other Bvlgari PHs. To my nose at the time it was too soapy. One of the reasons I like PH is because it is one of the better non-soapy masculine fresh scents. Now, my tolerance for soap is up, and I'd probably be able to identify the citrus and iris as distinct qualities, so I might appreciate it more.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I should give this one another try - I sampled it long ago as was distinctly unimpressed, compared to the other Bvlgari PHs. To my nose at the time it was too soapy. One of the reasons I like PH is because it is one of the better non-soapy masculine fresh scents. Now, my tolerance for soap is up, and I'd probably be able to identify the citrus and iris as distinct qualities, so I might appreciate it more.
    Look for the dirt man, look for the dirt.... :-)

Yes, that's it. I sorta smell dirt, ground, green. It's definitely unique. Going to sample this more this weekend.

Just gave this one a whiff the other day, I'm not at all impressed.. I have no desire to even wonder what the middle and base might be like on my skin because I find the top notes to be rather boring. It had a papery smell to me as well

I have this, to me its more like your first sample, but i dont have a very well developed nose so im probably missing a lot. It's 1 of my favourite scents tho.
    Got Musc Ravageur/Tobacco Vanille?

Fancy sample swapping? PM ME!

out of the 150+ bottles I own, this one is unique. That "clean dirt" smell is what gets me coming back every time, alhtough, admittedly, this has been relegated to a "safe work scent."

I know what you mean how it seems to dodge from being "airy" to "earthy" - it can feel light/airy on a sunny day, and earthy/cool on a cloudy day. I'm glad to have it in my collection. I used to own Pour Homme and I prefer Soir due to its lingering, more subtle presence.

i love it. its def dark and bright at the same time. which is weird.
    both earthy and sparkly. i consider it a spring/summer fragrance. possibly fall.
    its kinda minty to me.

the drydown smells wonderful
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

Quote Originally Posted by laroche View Post
    I know what you mean how it seems to dodge from being "airy" to "earthy" - it can feel light/airy on a sunny day, and earthy/cool on a cloudy day. I'm glad to have it in my collection. I used to own Pour Homme and I prefer Soir due to its lingering, more subtle presence.
    Ah, this is very interesting to learn because the day I first sampled it, the weather was quite warm and low humidy. Yesterday for the second time, the weather was damp and cold.

I don't like Soir.. not good. Smells sorta like Azzaro Chrome, which I also don't like. They both have a super metalic note that's so synthetic and bad to my nose.

I just don't like these strong tea frags (and I drink tea every day). They just sit there for hours, lacking any kind of interesting dynamism. I do have have Tommy Girl, and I find that the white floral accord seems to keep the tea from becoming too tedious. I'd like to go back and sample the Bvlgari again, but I hate it when I'm stuck with a boring frag for hours, and yet I can't wash it off because I have to give it a "fair shake." A no win situation! LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 9th April 2010 at 08:44 PM.

I definitely can smell the earthy note in the drydown, like "the smell of roots of a green plant freshly harvested, when a bit of mud is still lingering on, to my nose", as I said in my review on it. I'd bet that's the papyrus note.

Soir smells like the leaves of corn in the field on a damp summer morning. Very impressed.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

smells very sour to me , i am not impressed either. the original ph is better

I have never anderstand all the fuss about the Bvlgari scents.. IMO totaly unoriginal and boring.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I have never anderstand all the fuss about the Bvlgari scents.. IMO totaly unoriginal and boring.
    I agree. I have repeatedly tried Bulgari pour Homme Soir, as well as Bulgari pour Homme and Bulgari pour Homme Extreme. They all just bore me to death. I do however like Bulgari Black and Bulgari Aqua.

BTW - I saw Bulgari pour Homme Soir at Marshalls if anyone is looking for it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Oslo, I must take umbrage with this. You can state they are boring, that's your personal opinion. But, how can they possibly be unoriginal? I've never tried Soir, so I can't comment, but please tell me what out there you find similar to Bvlgari fragrances, to justify the fact that you find them unoriginal?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Double Post.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 11th April 2010 at 01:40 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    The second time was more of a close to the skin earthy, wet tone.
    I think you might be noticing the papyrus note here. Smells like damp old parchment paper. Like some ancient writings taken from an old archive.

I like this scent, and on my skin, it is the longest lasting Bulgari offering. (Maybe other than Extreme, which I cannot abide because of the too persistent grapefruit.)

I also find it to be the most unique of the Bulgari pour homme offerings; sometimes owning multiple Bulgari frags is like opening a Bigelow sample pack...after awhile, tea is just...tea.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 11th April 2010 at 01:51 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Soir smells like the leaves of corn in the field on a damp summer morning. Very impressed.
    Your description made think of CdG Calamus. You can almost see the milky juisces oosing from the green leaves with that one. It has a papyrus note as well.
    Last edited by cpk; 11th April 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Yesterday I tested this frag .Nothing special,is very subtle and it doesn't last more than 1.30- 2 hours on my skin. Good if you like to spray before going to sleep. Bulgari Black is a better variant.