Code of Conduct

Default Help a 18 y/o frag newbie pick some frags

Hi there, I'm 18 and a senior in high school, and I'd like to start wearing cologne (EDT technically, I guess... yes, I've been doing some lurking on these boards before this post).

I'm looking for a few things:

A fragrance I can wear everyday to school.
    A fragrance I can wear to parties.
    A fragrance I can wear to dates.
    A fragrance I can wear to prom.

That doesn't necessarily mean I want 4 fragrances... Maybe there's a fragrance suitable for both parties and dates... That's why I'm asking the experts. In fact, the fewer frags the better, being on a high schooler's budget and all. However, I definitely want at least two, one for everyday wear and one for more special occasions.

Being new to frags, I'm not all that sure what I like. So, I could use some suggestions, and then I'll go to the mall and check them out. I won't be buying any of these blind, so don't worry.

Thanks.

Default Re: Help a 18 y/o frag newbie pick some frags

Versace eau fraiche is decent everyday, calvin klein eternity will do it too

parties i would say a men as well as dates

prom i would say issey myaky or even joop

Aqua di Gio/Bulgari Aqua
    Guerlain Homme/L'Eau d'Issey
    Armani Code/Black XS
    Bulgari pour Homme

(respectively)

....Or just wear Bulgari pour Homme on all occasions.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 25th April 2010 at 03:35 AM.
    Sales thread here

Blog Entries

My first advice if you are only buying one or two frags (esp. on a budget) is to sample, sample sample before you make your purchase. Smell everything you can get your hands on, but go about it methodically. Do a search on this forum for sampling methods, there have been several threads on the topic. If you have a Kohls or Ulta near you, they leave the testers out for you to play with. Sephora is also great if you have one near you.

Some places to start. Acqua di Gio is very popular with the younger crowd (probably too popular). Try Versace Pour Homme for something similar but more classy/mature.

Bvlgari Aqva, 212 Men, and L'eau D'Issey are very versatile everyday scents.

Bvlgari Pour Homme, Gendarme, and Mugler Cologne are all different takes on clean, inoffensive scents.

Black XS, Armani Code, and LeMale are sweeter (heavier) scents that are very popular with the younger crowd, especially for going out.

L'eau par Kenzo, Givenchy Blue Label, and Clinique Happy are all great bright, citrusy aquatics.

And finally Paco Rabanne XS is another one that just smells great and is very versatile.

All of these would definitely work for High School/College, and can usually be found online for <$50. Welcome to Basenotes, and good luck with your search. Have fun with it, and let us know how it goes.

Seemingly every young man your age is wearing Acqua di Gio or Fierce. Try something no one else is wearing. That's true elegance.

Try Versace The Dreamer. This can easily be found relatively inexpensively online, although I hear they are phasing it out.

A nice tobacco scent. DO WAIT for the alcohol to drydown, though...then you get a wonderful and unique scent.

Also try YSL L'Homme, which may be easier to find. A fresh floral scent.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th April 2010 at 04:24 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

blvgari black, aramis, azzaro. those are some good ones that will make you stand out. check out creed if you got the money if not stick with designers for now

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I do have an Ulta nearby, and I will go and smell the fragrances mentioned.

I have a few questions though. What's the difference between Acqua di Gio and L'eau D'Issey? Are they different enough to justify owning both?

Also, for prom I'm looking for something more... romantic. I see Bvlgari Pour Homme has been mentioned a few times. Does it fit the bill? Or would Armani Code be better? How about Bvlgari Pour Homme Sior?

So far (from both the input of this thread and from reading around the forum for about a week), I've been leaning toward:

Everyday: Acqua di Gio or L'eau D'Issey
    Nights: Armani Code or Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Prom: Same as nights? Unsure on this one

Also, what are your thoughts on Havana by Aramis and Rochas Man?
    Last edited by qqq123; 25th April 2010 at 05:18 AM.

While I have moved on from these types of scents some years ago, I have to say that the difference is far from being negligible. L’Eau D’Issey is much more complex and interesting than the Armani. The fact that it is a woody aquatic makes it cool for the hotter months and warm in the freezing cold. It is a ‘fuller’ sent. It can also be worn at night and to your prom. You should also look at Davidoff Cool Water (or Creed Green Irish Tweed for am extremely similar but more expensive and natural scent). It’s the perfect kind of fragrance for everyday wear.

I would advise you to try one of the best designer houses in Guerlain. You are more likely to keep them around when you are out of your teens than the aforementioned fragrances. Guerlain Vetiver is a solid all-rounder (I know females that wear it, so don’t be put off by the strength of the vetiver; it is a smooth smell, not harsh). I would encourage you to try Shalimar and Mitsuoko, too. Don’t let marketing tell you what you can and can’t wear. Be confident about what you are wearing and the fragrance will never wear you.

Finally, I would suggest buying a few samples from Lucky Scent or The Perfumed Court instead of buying two full bottles (maybe go one full bottle for regular use and spend the rest on a few small sample vials). You should pick out some scents that kids are not likely to wear at your age for romantic wear. Maybe you can look into getting a sample of a rose like Montale’s Black Aoud (strong and long, long lasting) or L’Artisan’s Voleur de Roses (fleeting).
    Last edited by Potpourri; 26th April 2010 at 04:15 PM.

Rochas Man is a very good goumand which I would classify for night/dates.
    Regarding this category, i would not consider the classic citrus Bulgari as a night frag.
    Two suggestions coming to my mind are the already mentioned Dreamer (quite daring flowerbomb) or the well behaved, more tempered gourmand Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.

For prom I'd recommend something elegant, classy even.
    I wouldnt go with a gourmand or a sensual frag but rather some old school Eau Sauvage (but that might be due to personal preference).

Bvlgari Black would suit all of your needs. Also, L'Eau Par Kenzo.

I won't add to the list of recommendations, but I will say this... generally speaking, and I'm being very general, there is a quality to price ratio in effect. I know you're young and so you're probably not looking to spend a lot, but often, you'll get what you pay for. The difference between paying $50 and $150 may seem like 3x the price, but that extra $100 in other terms is like 2 shirts, or a pair of jeans, etc and you can use this every day. Yes, there are cheap fragrances that smell great, and expensive ones that are crap, but what you'll find the difference between a $50 bottle and a $150 bottle, is that the $150 will usually:

Be more interesting/unique. Often they'll have the liberty to focus on a particular note, or have a lot more ingredients that makes it smell richer, more complex. Plus there's more time, energy, and often just a more creative Nose working behind it that makes what you're getting just that bit higher quality. Also,sometimes, better quality of ingredients and more of them. The biggest difference you'll find is often the more expensive ones will last 8-10 hours instead of 2-3. Even to the point of a low end bottle that sort of opens great, but then just fizzles out and dies whereas the pricier ones generally got through a whole long story over time.

not to discourage cheap goodies, but just to say that if you're willing to pay a little more, there's quite a big difference IMO in terms of the quality of what you get.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Cool Water, Acqua di Gio, or Nautica Voyage for your main fragrance. Cuba Gold, or Diesel Zero Plus for a dating, party, formal fragrance -- both of which can be found online for extremely low prices.

Thanks for all the input again. In my pursuit of knowledge, I have a few more questions:

Does a gourmand literally make you smell like food? For example, I see that A*Men is described as smelling like chocolate... If you're wearing A*Men, do people say to you, "Wow, you smell like chocolate!" Or it is more subtle than that? Same for Rochas Man, which I see described as smelling like coffee... How strong is the coffee smell?

Also, for a date fragrance I'm looking for something sexy and romantic (leaning toward sexy, something that will really get the ladies going). Is a gourmand the right choice for this, or would something like Armani Code be better? Or something different all together? I've seen Body Kouros described on these boards several times as sexy and heavenly, but it seems there's an equal amount of people who don't really like it at all..

Lastly, what's the best place in the US to buy fragrances online? I hear a lot of places sell fakes, but I'm sure you guys have sites you trust.

Quote Originally Posted by qqq123 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I do have an Ulta nearby, and I will go and smell the fragrances mentioned.

I have a few questions though. What's the difference between Acqua di Gio and L'eau D'Issey? Are they different enough to justify owning both?

Also, for prom I'm looking for something more... romantic. I see Bvlgari Pour Homme has been mentioned a few times. Does it fit the bill? Or would Armani Code be better? How about Bvlgari Pour Homme Sior?

So far (from both the input of this thread and from reading around the forum for about a week), I've been leaning toward:

Everyday: Acqua di Gio or L'eau D'Issey
    Nights: Armani Code or Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Prom: Same as nights? Unsure on this one

Also, what are your thoughts on Havana by Aramis and Rochas Man?
    I purchased Aramis Havana about a month ago and recently have worn it twice. My take on it is it's a very manly fragrance. I smell nothing sweet about this at all. The opening will surprise you as it is MUCH different from the AdGs and Le Male's out there. I have gotten compliments from women and men. The women seem to love it calling it "a turn on scent". I am assuming that you are in high school so I don't know how everyone would react. I am only a bit older than you so maybe there wouldn't be much of a difference with peoples reactions. For me Havana is definitely NOT an everyday scent. It could be pulled off as a prom/party/club/date scent if applied correctly. Just don't over spray. I became very ansomic towards it and could not smell it at all but others said it was going on strong. Sillage is wonderful. If going on a date I suggest no more than three sprays. If going out to a club I would do anywhere between 5 and 8.

Just don't be like me and when you first spray it and become "immune" to it slap on about 15 spritzes. That was an interesting night! The opening may turn you off (it did for me at first as well but now I love it) but trust me, if you sample this and give it a full wearing the dry down is simply amazing.
    Last edited by mike1990; 26th April 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Also, for a date fragrance I'm looking for something sexy and romantic (leaning toward sexy, something that will really get the ladies going).
    That would be the fragrance that shows up, gift-wrapped, on your birthday or a relationship anniversary.

Lastly, what's the best place in the US to buy fragrances online? I hear a lot of places sell fakes, but I'm sure you guys have sites you trust.
    I've been happy with my LuckyScent orders.

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    My first advice if you are only buying one or two frags (esp. on a budget) is to sample, sample sample before you make your purchase. Smell everything you can get your hands on, but go about it methodically. Do a search on this forum for sampling methods, there have been several threads on the topic. If you have a Kohls or Ulta near you, they leave the testers out for you to play with. Sephora is also great if you have one near you.

Some places to start. Acqua di Gio is very popular with the younger crowd (probably too popular). Try Versace Pour Homme for something similar but more classy/mature.

Bvlgari Aqva, 212 Men, and L'eau D'Issey are very versatile everyday scents.

Bvlgari Pour Homme, Gendarme, and Mugler Cologne are all different takes on clean, inoffensive scents.

Black XS, Armani Code, and LeMale are sweeter (heavier) scents that are very popular with the younger crowd, especially for going out.

L'eau par Kenzo, Givenchy Blue Label, and Clinique Happy are all great bright, citrusy aquatics.

And finally Paco Rabanne XS is another one that just smells great and is very versatile.

All of these would definitely work for High School/College, and can usually be found online for <$50. Welcome to Basenotes, and good luck with your search. Have fun with it, and let us know how it goes.
    Only problem with testers at frag counters is that they're not always a) where they should be or b) labeled. Ask for samples.

I second Bvlgari Black and Aramis as nice, because the BB is unusual and smells good, and Aramis won't likely be found in your age group but smells wonderful. (the Aramis you can get a spritz of at your local drugstore and is about $40 for a bottle.)

Bvlgari Black is a really interesting scent, a little different as one of its accords smells to me just like new tires, leather, and... it would smell very good on a high school/college kid.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Http://www.parfum1.com

Lots of good input here. An old guy's observations -suggest for test:

L'Eau de Issey (better than Aqua di Gio by a lot. Pottpouri notes above are dead on. Both are used a lot and generally popular with women).
    Rochas Man (a more subtle gourmand than A*Man).
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme (impossibly sophisticated and mature on a man of your age. And appropriate).
    Bvlgari Black (a classic that could work for you).
    Body Kouros (another great sweet scent).
    Guerlain Vetiver (a good "work a day" scent for someone your age).

Gourmand scents are more a suggestion of food rather than smelling like exactly like a candy bar. Many are popular with young women. Try some.

At your age there are advantages to wearing the most popular frags- women you know are familiar with them and like a lot of them. But by coming here, you're going to get some input for stuff that is not as commonplace as AdG, Le Male, A*Men, Fierce, Code and others.

Strongly suggest you set aside a couple of bucks and buy a bunch of samples. Your nose counts most.
    You seem a bit new to frags so watch the dosage. I was in a bar the other night and I smelled Le Male on a guy 12 feet away. School and work call for some moderation.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th April 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    currently they have a 20% off sale. Not majorly compelling, but on the right frag that's already discounted it's even better!
    Note - I had to pay 10% taxes... quelle surprise
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads