Code of Conduct

Default Halston Z-14 reforumulated? when?

I hadn't worn this stuff in years, but I have several bottles dating as far back as the early 1980s and as recent as this Christmas (from clearance gift sets I got for 75% off). In a hurry I grabbed the most recent bottle yesterday because it was a spray (all the others are splash), sprayed it on and it is different than it used to be. Not drastically so, but noticable enough. It is either weaker than it used to be (seems most likely), or has been reforumlated sometime (when?). It seems to have more lemon in the more recent stuff, either that or its just weaker and the piney smell just isn't there up front like it used to be. It didn't seem to last near as long. I'll wear an older sample today or tomorrow but I'm certain they watered this stuff down at the very least.

Default Re: Halston Z-14 reforumulated? when?

Oakmoss is gone or at least greatly reduced. Tree moss has replaced it, and not for the better. Less depth, less complexity, less longevity. Just as great a risk of skin irritation. Hooray.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

It is Quite "softer" than it used to be, but I still wear it. Not that bad

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    It is Quite "softer" than it used to be, but I still wear it. Not that bad
    Agreed. Retains the essential Z-14 spirit. sillage and longevity are still respectfully good.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I received a bottle of Z-14 as a gift in the early 1980s and wore it until the bottle was dry. I always thought it was a gutsy scent, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I hadn't given it much thought until about a year ago, when I purchased a bottle on the cheap at TJMaxx. Sea is probably right in saying that it is perhaps a bit 'softer' now than it originally was, but I am also in complete agreement with perfaddict in that the present formulation retains the spirit of the original. To me, it is not noticeably different now than it was 28 years ago. Once again, the Elizabeth Arden company is to be applauded for buying he licenses for Z-14 as well as for Sung Homme, Giorgio for Men, Bijan for men, and Grey Flannel, keeping them alive, and not tampering with the original formulas. Hats off to Elizabeth Arden!!!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    .....Once again, the Elizabeth Arden company is to be applauded for buying he licenses for Z-14 as well as for Sung Homme, Giorgio for Men, Bijan for men, and Grey Flannel, keeping them alive, and not tampering with the original formulas. Hats off to Elizabeth Arden!!!
    Hear! Hear!!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Agreed. Retains the essential Z-14 spirit. sillage and longevity are still respectfully good.
    correct perfaddict. i own the reformulation version...

I'm going to hop on the bandwagon here. I'm going purely on memory on what the early version smelled like. But when I bought my current bottle about a year ago, I remember thinking the first time I sprayed it on, "Oh yeah. It's still Z-14". Great juice here.

I noticed that you said that the old bottles were a pour style(splash). I have been wondering if using the splash method instead of the spray may drop the top notes down a little, because most of the older colognes used a pour style bottle, but now use spray.

The older variant and the newer variant are different enough. I have a bottle from around 1996 or so, smaller one, a half full smaller one from earlier in the 1990s and a big 4.2 oz one from the 80s, then the two I just bought. The new stuff is definately different. Not bad, just not so dark to me as the old stuff. Its not something you'll immediately notice unless you've recently smelled the old version or done a side by side.

I noticed a difference for sure, and could sense a lemon scent that was much stronger than I remember. I just thought that maybe there was something to the spray vs. pour thing that made that change so obvious. When I was in Jr. High and early high school years I had a bottle, but it was the pour version.

Don't think it was the pour version that made that much of a difference. It is more lemony and less dark. It also seems to have gotten cheaper cost wise in the last few years but used to be a lot more expensive. As I said I have maybe half a little bottle which I will use and will leave me with about 6oz left of the old version. The problem is unlike some fragrances where you can just as easily pick up an old version, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to differentiate this stuff when trying to buy it online. I'd personally rather have the old stuff, and after not buying it in years I was expecting the same when I bought the clearnace gift set.

I would take the old stuff too, but the new stuff ain't too bad. I can't complain for that price.