Code of Conduct

Default Dirty (literally) English

I know I can't be the only person who thinks that Dirty English doesn't even smell like a fragrance. When I say it doesn't smell like a fragrance, what I mean is that it doesn't smell like something one should wear.

It just smells like an overdose of cardamom, bitter/dry woods and pepper. As it develops it reminds me of the smell of a crayon. The opening (which reminded me of Corduroy's dry down a tiny bit) is a little better than the dry down, and I get no more than 2-3 inches off the skin for projection.

Dirty English lacks any character, but is surely unique.. I'll give Couture credit on the bottle and the ability to stain my clothes.. but what a disaster this is. I got a 1 oz bottle (thank goodness) and I'm trying to use it up some how or another, I can never throw away a bottle with juice in it.

Default Re: Dirty (literally) English

I actually adore Dirty English.
    I think as a mainstream offering, its actually a rather well-constructed scent - those rich woods and peppery qualities stand a head and shoulders above much of the stuff on the current market.

I like it too. And the security guard where I work went and bought it for himself after he caught a whiff of it on me. He said it reminded him of the cedars on the terrain "back home" (he is from Sudan.)
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 10th April 2010 at 07:53 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Top notes smell like dirt and potting soil to me. I didn't stick around for the mid and base.

I think it's a fantastic fragrance and wear it often!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I wish I smelled all the filth and drama others smell. I smell a generic woody fragrance, no "dirty" at all.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 10th April 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I wish I smelled all the filth and drama others smell. I smell a generic woody fragrance, no "dirty" at all.
    Ditto.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Wasn't too crazy bout Dirty English the first time and was even thinking of getting rid of my bottle.
    Glad I didn't...
    I really enjoy this.
    Not really the kind of scent that I would wear to the office, but I wear it in the evenings after my second shower, or in the weekends.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I actually adore Dirty English.
    I think as a mainstream offering, its actually a rather well-constructed scent - those rich woods and peppery qualities stand a head and shoulders above much of the stuff on the current market.
    + 1

I like it a lot. I rate it at the same level of Gucci pour Homme.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I like it a lot. I rate it at the same level of Gucci pour Homme.
    Blasphemy!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

It is my SotD this AM. Initial sour note mellows nicely in a few minutes to usher in a very enjoyable experience.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Me, too. I like the frag, but I don't get the dirty part of it, either,

I didn't like DE on my first two samplings, but the last two were good. It's a variation on Tommy Bahama. Gucci PH is simpler, but perhaps a bit more "natural."

I enjoying DE because opening similiar with Gucci PH. DE is spicy, smokey incense wood and Oud is great blended. The drydown has a dirty attitude which remind me herbal and medicine chinese shop. This make me dirty when wore it. Awesome...

I tried Dirty English and thought it was pretty good but was somewhat underwhelmed. Then again I had just tried Guess by Marciano which was very similar so I may revisit it.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I agree - while I find it nice enough, it has a mainstream woody thing going on with a pop of "fresh" that almost seems like a dose of Calone. I actually bought it to spray in my car, but the GF likes to wear it herself from time to time, so it earned a spot inside.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I find it a more 'user friendly' Gucci pour Homme mixed with a touch of M7, and some of the incense from Dunhill's Pursuit.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I'm another one of those "hated it the first time I smelled it, then it hit me" people. To be honest, the first thing that I didn't like about it didn't have anything to do with the scent itself. I saw the bottle, then I read the name... "Juicy Couture". I got the mental image of the type of person that would wear this... spoiled, snobbish, self-important, trendy, follower, etc. I gave it a go anyway, and my facial muscles contorted. I may have even made an audible "ack!" sound. Then, a few days later, (after I learned the art of patience from some other frags) I tried again. Only this time I waited til the initial blast died down.

In the end, I liked it. Wait... that sounds like something a perverted Yoda would say---let me rephrase it: After some patience and tolerance, I found that I could appreciate it if I wasn't so judgmental. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that I like. Suffice to say there are ingredients in the formula that actually do not smell cheap and tasteless, regardless of my initial impressions.

By the way, here's some food for thought. Sometimes fragrances are not named for how they smell, instead they are named for the type of person the perfumer got inspiration from or who the perfumer imagined would wear them (ie., a name that suits the way a certain stereotype would smell). In this case, perhaps a rugged, hard-working, albeit poor English man (maybe the gentleman type but with a bad mouth) from back when not everyone had running water and perfume was a the only viable substitute. In fact, from what I understand of certain cultures, some people actually preferred perfume over a shower. *cough-french-cough* What?!? I didn't make that up!
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 12th April 2010 at 01:59 AM.

The Dirty English ads usually feature a very young, British punk type of guy. Not exactly a gentleman. One example:

http://www.perfumewave.com/images/dirty_english_ad.jpg

Aaaaah, yes. Okay, that makes sense as well. Actually, that proves my point about fragrances not being named as a description of their smell, but more as a perfumer's inspiration as it comes from a specific type of person. The thing is, I personally know people like that, and they DO NOT smell anywhere near Dirty English. All of the ones I know smell like urine layered on top of old urine. I'm not trying to be funny---I'm dead serious. Also known as "gutter punks" from where I am. Usually live on the streets by choice. Strange group of people.

I actually really like DE when I first tried it, but that was before I realized that it didn't smell like anything. As SirSlarty wrote in his review.. something along the lines of "This is good if you enjoy fragrances that don't really smell like fragrances"

It smells sorta "oily" to me and to me, that's what makes it dirty. I get a lot of the leather note when I was sampling it. Glad I never bought a bottle of it. The opening is just too cheap smelling for me.

Maybe the deep scents of Dirty English are a bit strange for men accustomed to all the aquatics out there. To each his own.

Dirty English is made by Juicy Couture, a women's clothing company (also making costume jewellery, perfumes, shoes, handbags, etc.) and is aimed a young crowd.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Maybe the deep scents of Dirty English are a bit strange for men accustomed to all the aquatics out there. To each his own.

Dirty English is made by Juicy Couture, a women's clothing company (also making costume jewellery, perfumes, shoes, handbags, etc.) and is aimed a young crowd.
    Which is strange, because Dirty English seems to be worn by the older crowd. It's more of a chypre almost, maybe a more modern chypre though it stays very close to the skin.

Basenotes Institution

This one really bored me, and did not smell dirty at all to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Which is strange, because Dirty English seems to be worn by the older crowd. It's more of a chypre almost, maybe a more modern chypre though it stays very close to the skin.
    Good point. Once a company releases a scent, the true audience will come out. Time after time, scents marketed to men wind up worn by women and the other way around.

An unusually large number of older women wear Vera Wang Princess.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don't remember much about DE. I remember first sort of liking it, but my second test brought out a SERIOUS note of..... ehm...... unwashed man ass. Really there's no other way to put it, I got a similar accord in CDG Ouarzazate. I started a thread regarding what it could be, and I'm not sure I remember what the answer was, but perhaps it's sage? Either way, I DO agree, that there is something definitely "dirty" about DE.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I sampled this a few times and really liked it, just not enough to buy a bottle. It smelled like expensive leather and tobacco IMO, nothing really dirty at all. Not a bad addition to the wardrobe if you can get it cheap.

I think Dirty English smells disgusting.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

It must be me. Maybe i am too set in my preferences, but i just could not get along with Dirty English. Tried it twice, gave both away. The name must be powerfully suggestive because, to me, it came across as a watery Gucci pour Homme, with nothing in it olfactorily suggesting dirt.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    ... it came across as a watery Gucci pour Homme, with nothing in it olfactorily suggesting dirt.
    To me, too. There are several who feel this way, it seems. I would have really liked some dirt, but it's mostly Iso E Super, and not the best use of that chemical. Just not a lot of complexity. I have nothing against linear scents as long as they are really beautiful, but for the very short life of this frag, it is just dull, flat wood.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man