Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vintage Kouros

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Kouros

I've read this blog and know the contributor's reviews well. Overall, a lot to offer...but I disagree strongly here.

The composition has not only been 'watered down', but ingredients have been entirely taken out (oakmoss) and dialed down (honey, civet, patchouli, incense, leather, and more), primarily in the base. Spray it on 15 times - have fun. Waste your time, money and try to convince yourself.

Simply put, you cannot substitute quality and depth of actual ingredients with spraying a vast amount more of the heavily reformulated juice. Period.

I admire this individual's writing and contributions, usually - but have to agree to disagree here.

Good post, smellgood4u...in relation to what has been put forth - I concur and add even more. What you have now is "dissonance", metaphorically, in a L'Oreal-bottled reformulation of a classic masterpiece by YSL and Pierre Bourdon.

However, as I have clearly stated, for some...the current juice may be more suitable. They certainly will not smell like Vintage juice and that may be preferred by the 'next generation'. That said - it will never satisfy me. I will only wear (and own) Vintage Kouros.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    Interesting blog. Thanks for posting it.

I disagree with the review saying 15 sprays of reformulated Kouros gives the same smell of vintage Kouros.

First, who will spray 15 times? I spray a lot, but that is wasting juice. 15 sprays and a 100ml bottle is gone in no time.

Second, there is no civet in reformulated Kouros. None. This plays a big part of the genius of having a dirty smell phase in and out.

Third, 3 out of 10 ingredients listed in the 2FYF02-2 formula are not listed in the top 10 of the reformulation. There are another three ingredients that were in the old formula that are absent from the newest version. That is a significant change for a parfum with onnly 23 ingredients listed.

The killer for me is that there is no civet. That made the old Kouros great. Also, one of the ingredients that Kouros dropped was a natural substance made by the sweat glands of bees. Part of the rich honey scents of vintage Kouros must have come from this. Now it is gone.
    Last edited by ericrico; 25th February 2013 at 03:38 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

If that is the blogger I think it is, he seems to get fixated on certain ideas that nobody else, including experts, agree with. In this case, why would one spend a lot more for the new formulation, since it can only be "worse" (unless you don't want the heavily animalic elements and higher quality of ingredients, I'd guess). Using 15 sprays as opposed to one, relative to the cost of a new bottle versus what vintage ones sell for on ebay is just plain stupid.

Note that I recently did a comparison between oldest and the one before the no chrome on shoulders version. My conclusion (always tentative with scents) is that the newer of the two is closer to Sung Homme, in terms of being more blended and with more distinct patchouli. The oldest actually has a kind of "clean" smoke/musk that acts as counterpoint to the animalic elements. The honey seems stronger in the newer of the two, but the oldest has a kind of vanillic/honey, which again keeps it from being too heavy. Of course with a bottle that old it's impossible to know if some elements have weakened but I like the oldest version best by a wide margin. However, probably only a few people would notice these differences, and again it may be due to the effects of time.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 25th February 2013 at 02:31 AM.

On one of my bottles of Vintage Kouros the ingredients on the box say Alcohol, Fragrance, water. Nothing more. I very much agree with Enrico in his post. Simply put IMHO, the newer formulations don't even come close to the vintage of this. It is an entirely different scent altogether. I just wore this to a club yesterday believe it or not and received 3 compliments from people that were not even half my age (I'm 49) One of them even asked where he could find a bottle! I wished him luck

Basenotes Plus

Hey Bigsly -

Yes - it is the blogger we all know (From Pyrgos)...

I read your comparison on true Vintage Kouros (with Eau de Toilette directly under the KOUROS label) versus the metal-shouldered and base plate with Eau de Toilette moved toward the bottom of the bottle, just above the "Yves Saint Laurent" logo. I find it interesting - very well written. Kudos!

It is a bottle I have test-sprayed, but never purchased. It would be advised for people new to the classic scent to perhaps start here. Getting actual Vintage Kouros is difficult & expensive (and will only go up). I, too, enjoy the old juice the most. It is as it was meant to be. Bottle-age (incorporated with some air in the bottle) actually integrates and strengthens the juice. I have a bottle of Original Vintage (80's formulation)...wonderfully kept, about 60% full, 100ml bottle. It is incredible. This is when actual civet was used in the Bourdon creation, prior to the use of civetone. Later Vintage juice I have is still wonderful and, being totally honest, more wearable. My favorite wearing is a nice layered wearing of Vintage juice (from the 90's) with a couple of shots of the Original Vintage. Sublime and so rich. The depth of the base notes is accentuated and the oakmoss, cloves, incense, leather, patchouli, honey, musk and civet are in a word, magnificent. Polarizing scent - but for those who appreciate it in all its glory - undeniably a classic masterpiece.

I concur as well - 15 shots to achieve the effect of 1? Wow. I had to step back and laugh as well.

Cheers, my friend.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If that is the blogger I think it is, he seems to get fixated on certain ideas that nobody else, including experts, agree with. In this case, why would one spend a lot more for the new formulation, since it can only be "worse" (unless you don't want the heavily animalic elements and higher quality of ingredients, I'd guess). Using 15 sprays as opposed to one, relative to the cost of a new bottle versus what vintage ones sell for on ebay is just plain stupid.

Note that I recently did a comparison between oldest and the one before the no chrome on shoulders version. My conclusion (always tentative with scents) is that the newer of the two is closer to Sung Homme, in terms of being more blended and with more distinct patchouli. The oldest actually has a kind of "clean" smoke/musk that acts as counterpoint to the animalic elements. The honey seems stronger in the newer of the two, but the oldest has a kind of vanillic/honey, which again keeps it from being too heavy. Of course with a bottle that old it's impossible to know if some elements have weakened but I like the oldest version best by a wide margin. However, probably only a few people would notice these differences, and again it may be due to the effects of time.
    - - - Updated - - -

djm -

Thank you, my friend. Enjoy the real stuff. I do believe it. I am complimented all the time while wearing Vintage Kouros. It just smells amazing and so unique!

Cheers!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    On one of my bottles of Vintage Kouros the ingredients on the box say Alcohol, Fragrance, water. Nothing more. I very much agree with Enrico in his post. Simply put IMHO, the newer formulations don't even come close to the vintage of this. It is an entirely different scent altogether. I just wore this to a club yesterday believe it or not and received 3 compliments from people that were not even half my age (I'm 49) One of them even asked where he could find a bottle! I wished him luck
    Last edited by ericrico; 25th February 2013 at 06:19 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

I just did a test. 1 spray versus 3.

On my left wrist, I did one spray of the 2YF02-2 Kouros.

On my right wrist, I sprayed modern Kouros, waited for it to dry, sprayed it again, and repeated it for 3 sprays. Each spray was on top of the previos to maximize projection of all the smells.

They smell nothing alike.

The right wrist is a light clean smell. It smells like soap.

The left wrist has a deeper and richer smell of dirty and clean.

I can only imagine what Kouros jucie smelled like when it first came out. I wish I had a bottle!

I am going to order a bottle of Horus, the "our version of Kouros" imitation, and see if it is anything like vintage Kouros.

There is no reason to buy modern Kouros. It's a lost cause. I hope the imitators are closer to vintage than modern Kouros.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

the latest reformulation does not have powerfull projection & sillage as a Vintage version
    The good Kouros is dead, the latest reformulation is just a shadow from the original...sadly, very disappointed:

What can the modern reformulated Kouros be used for?

Perhaps I can use the modern Kouros as a prespray before applying the older Kouros?

I'm also thinking what can I layer with Kouros to make it project and smell more dirty. Perhaps a spray of Keihl's musk added to modern Kouros?

I have 200ml of modern Kouros and have to think of ways to use the juice up.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Basenotes Plus

I would NEVER layer the two, personally. It only takes a few sprays of Vintage to be in a full and wonderful wearing.

I would use it, perhaps, as a gym scent. Adding Kiehl's Musk...hmmmm. I would have to really step back on this one. IF you try it and like it - then it works for you. I love Vintage Musk scents but would never think to layer them into current Kouros. However, I was gifted some incredibly powerful Ajmal Gazelle Musk from a fellow Basenoter. Please read this - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/260...is-this-a-joke

I have to say - it is wicked power. A small vial is like a nuclear weapon! However, blending it with other oils or, just maybe, current Kouros, could revive the richness. Look into it.

Another idea is to add a pure essential oil musk. Get a 7-15ml decant spray and fill it 95% with current watered-down, powdery Kouros from L'Oreal. Then add some rich musk from a great store - Attar Bazaar...http://www.attarbazaar.com/category-s/35.htm

Egyptian Musk is a great base. You can go to others as well. The India Musk Connoisseur has a Nag Champa incense note along with the animalic notes. So, this will take the composition into another dimension. Perhaps, closer to Furyo. However, that is damn good thing.

Play around with the idea of using essential oils blended and I think you may just find a result you like.

Otherwise, a bathroom / room air freshener is what you have 200ml of. But, there is hope! Please report back, my friend.

Best,

ericrico
    Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    What can the modern reformulated Kouros be used for?

Perhaps I can use the modern Kouros as a prespray before applying the older Kouros?

I'm also thinking what can I layer with Kouros to make it project and smell more dirty. Perhaps a spray of Keihl's musk added to modern Kouros?

I have 200ml of modern Kouros and have to think of ways to use the juice up.

only for curiosity, a very good substitute for modern Kouros (in all its chemical glory -ironically said-) is "Reporter the first", the (ugly) relaunch of an old Oleg Cassini's masterpiece.
    Very cheap and full with synthetic civet, is really very, very, very similar to Kouros, at 1/10 of its price.

( for example: http://www.bestflair.it/profumeria/v...0-ml-vapo.html )

I got a 50 ml bottle today and all I can say is King Kouros is dead! Totally DESTROYED.

I put on about 20 sprays in a period of 2 hours and its not even CLOSE to the old formula, with the chrome on the lower part of the bottle. It doesn't smell bad but it's a totally different experience, and with pathetic longevity and projection.

I'm going first thing tomorrow to try to find the older bottle! There should be more rave about this, cause I'm not even that big of a fan of Kouros so I can only imagine how the true lovers of this scent might feel when they try it. How come some people think that this new reformulation is OK?

So sad to see many classics being slaughtered these days

My box ingredients list begins with: 875233 06 and ends with: B45376/1
    Last edited by Rubirosa; 28th February 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ditto

Not sure where to score vintage juice...best place to look has tp be Ebay and/or old pharmacies/discount stores.
    Agreed.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovo View Post
    the latest reformulation does not have powerfull projection & sillage as a Vintage version
    The good Kouros is dead, the latest reformulation is just a shadow from the original...sadly, very disappointed:
    I agree

I have the pre L'oreal 2009 version on one hand and the 1999 pre IFRA version on my other.
    They do have a similar smell, but considerable differences emerge in the drydown. The 2009 version is a cacophony of lavender , incense and musk, like a blob. In the 1999 version, its deep resinous, well orchestrated and sooo smooth. There is this intoxicating honeyed musk which is drizzled over smokey incense and patchouli. Pure perfection! Bourdon is a genius!
    Last edited by vinramani09; 3rd December 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Any reputable places/sellers to get older Kouros? As in, before the non-chrome looking or w/e type that may be the current bottle type, only part that has the chrome/chrome look(?) of it is the sprayer area up top or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    Any reputable places/sellers to get older Kouros? As in, before the non-chrome looking or w/e type that may be the current bottle type, only part that has the chrome/chrome look(?) of it is the sprayer area up top or something.
    Have no idea what that 2nd sentence means, but I've had good success finding some vintage Kouros releases on eBay for reasonable prices. Just need to make sure you know what to look for. A few BN searches for "vintage Kouros" will help.

Just yesterday I posted a link for an ebay listing, where an antique dealer was selling vintage 80s testers for slightly under 50 dollars.

I happen to be wearing 1999 vintage today. Fantastic stuff. I could probably get tired of anything if worn too often, so I sometimes force myself *not* to wear Kouros to circumvent that fear. That's how much I enjoy it.

Vintage Kouros NEVER gets boring for me, its true beauty really comes out in the fall and winter.

I recently got one, 50ml, in-box, with metal shoulders and bottom.

"KOUROS
    eau de toilette"

Serial under the box is 4165, and serial on the back bottom part of the bottle is 41651

995 pesos = around 20 US dollars.

I did 1 light spray to the chest, spraying 6-8 inches away.

It had a heavy vibe, like I've been working out in a hot, humid sweaty gym for a couple of hours, and it has a sweet kind of smell in there too.

It made me feel a little aggressive and restless, kinda pacing up and down the living room.

When our old housekeeper entered the room, (she knew I was testing my new bottles, vintage Eau Sauvage and Kouros)

she commented "WOOOOOOOH! (a la Ric Flair) sir, what is that smell? I could smell it from the garage?! Please wash it off,"

I like it. But not ready to wear this in public right now.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    ...When our old housekeeper entered the room...

she commented "WOOOOOOOH! (a la Ric Flair) sir, what is that smell? I could smell it from the garage?! Please wash it off,"...

And therein lies the deal breaker with Kouros: to wear it publicly will doom one to a solitary life not unlike a Basque sheepherder. Women simply abhor it. Since I don't well entertain a future of monastic masturbation I choose other fragrances to wear.

Some women do like it though, but I admit it is also for them a love-hate fargrance.
    I guess your housekeeper was more used to cheap cleaning smells, lol, than the beauty of Kouros as you wore it right as so it seemed (lightly applied).
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I don't know what your talking about, all the girls I know LOVE it , and im not talking older women, im talking 25-35 year olds, my sister and her friends say it smells great. I work at an MNC and I wear it to work every other day all my female workers have complimented me on it. People can be offended by its blatant sexiness but once it mellows out its a musky honeyed patchouli incense. Yes its an alpha male fragrance but I like fragrances which evoke confidence and power, Kouros epitomizes both.
    Kouros( pre L'oreal) is still light years better than all of the designer releases on the market now.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 4th December 2013 at 11:58 AM.

i agree with you totally most of the modern perfumes are all reformulated even guerlain and chanel are used to it , i didnt recognize at all the new vetiver guerlain or antaeus for example how can people believe that big houses avoid reformulations
    Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    How can you be so sure about it? Are you such a trained nose that you are able to perceive even the slightest changing? Or are you a highly trained chemist that can make reversal engineering to see if they changed the composition? I doubt it.

You cant' change art? I agree, but, unfortunately, the fragrance industry does not think like us, mr. Hendrix. They reformulate everything, even when we can't notice the difference.

There are plenty of old discussions here about why they reformulate. I will not repeat them here, due to lack of time and patience. Do a search if you still didn't, you will be surprised.

Or just forget what I said, and keep on trusting YSL. Ignorance is a bliss, no offense meant.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share with everyone a little something which really intrigued me.

So i love Kouros ALOT!! I have several different batches now from the 80's 90's and 2000's eras.

Anyway i keep my vintage stuff stored in a box with zip lock bags and bubble wrap.

I purchased a bottle of the reformulated Kouros about 3-4 months ago and did not like the reformulation so i decided to wear other colognes.

Yesterday, i was running late and decided to grab the NEW Kouros and take it with me and spray it at work.

I live in Sydney Australia and right now it is very hot and it is summer. Anyway i forgot to take the Kouros out of the car.
    It was about 36 degress Celcius yesterday in Sydney and before i knew it lunch time had come. I walked past a fragrance store and relised that
    i had left the new Kouros in the car and it was HOT and so i rushed back to get it out since it was directly exposed to sunlight.

What happened next really took me by suprise....

I immediately sprayed it on my hand to see if the juice had gone bad, Turns out that the heat actually improved the scent and made it smell like a 2006 batch. So i decided to keep it in there until the days end. In total 9 hours of continuous heat in the car which is exposed to sunlight.

I got home, had a shower and compared the new reformulation that was sitting in the car to a Sanofi version from 1992... They smelt nothing alike.

I then compared it to a 2002 batch and they smelt identical and very nice. Infact im wearing the new reformulation right now and i can say it smells much better than before. I know for a fact that it is not a result of maturing because i purchased 2 bottles of the reformulated 3-4 months ago and compared the two and the one that was left in the heat smells brilliant. (The juice when comparing the two reformulated versions, the one in the car seems to have darkened ever so slightly)

Anyway, i know we shouldnt keep the juices in sunlight etc but i did and it actually worked out well.

Thought to share it with everyone...

Hi Kouros Experts,
    May I ask for your help to identify a vintage edt?
    Since I love the old juice and absolutelly do not the new versions I started to hunt for vintage versions.
    I ordered one 50ml splash with vintage like box but I don't know whitch version is it(have not arrived yet)
    The box has only one silver stripe but the EDT text is right below the KOUROS text. The buttom of the box
    is silver coloured where the Yves Saint Laurent text is.
    Could you please tell me how old is this formula? I am not sure If I purchased the right one.
    Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Shitnose; 15th December 2013 at 10:06 PM.

KOUROS_grande.jpeg
    That's how my purchased one looks like.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Shitnose; 15th December 2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shitnose View Post
    KOUROS_grande.jpeg
    That's how my purchased one looks like.
    Thanks again!
    Hi,

Im assuming you purchased this from ebay or an online store? Yes that seems to be a possible vintage box but not true original vintage. It maybe Sanofi era (1992-1999) or it could be very early YSL Parfums/Gucci Group stuff between (1999-2004). In 2004 the packaging changed and the silver stripe at the bottom was removed to the best of my knowledge.

The best way to be certain is to ask questions from the seller before you buy, i learnt this over the last few months when trying to procure vintage Kouros.

Questions you should ask the seller are:
    1. Is the item i am purchased EXACTLY the SAME as the one in the picture? If yes, then thats a positive sign.
    2. Can you please tell me if at the bottom of the box under Yves Saint Laurent if you what is written? is it Sanofi, Parfums, BRI, YSL Beaute or Parfums Corp. this information may sometimes be at the back of the box also.

If they say YSL Beaute - this is the L'Oreal stuff that many of us are no longer purchasing due to the reformulation. No baseplate or chrome shoulders.
    If it says B.R.I this will have metal Shoulders and baseplate and chrome shoulders and the juice in my opinion is good. Something i would definately purchase but not pay too much for.
    If it says "Parfums" grab the bottle you wont be disappointed, just be sure not to pay too much.
    If it says Sanofi or YSL Parfums Corp then buy and dont think! The juice is really excellent!!

Another thing to look at is the wording "Eau de Toilette" if it is directly under the Kouros name then its something to get. If Eau de toilette is just above the Yves Saint Laurent name towards the bottom of the bottle then its reformulated, but it maybe still good juice depending on the distribution. - Refer to point 2.

If you do some research on the many Kouros threads in this forum it will help educate your knowledge and you will better understand what i am saying. Im certainly no expert, but this is what i have learnt from this forum and from some really helpful fellow basenoters!

Like many have helped me in the past on this forum, if you have any questions i will be more than happy to help you out too.

Its either a 90s bottle or early 2000s, Check the ingredient list on the box. If it has only 4 ingredients its the late 90s if has an exhaustive its post 2000-1.

[QUOTE=neilk83)
    [I]
    Another thing to look at is the wording "Eau de Toilette" if it is directly under the Kouros name then its something to get.
    [/I]

+1 If it really looks like the picture you posted and "Eau de Toilette" if it is directly under the Kouros then buy without hesitation!
    It must be actually as you say it is a splash edt formulation which was (imo) ony the case with vintage bottles from the 80's! (and maybe early 90's; not sure)
    Last edited by Slayerized; 16th December 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Thank you guys for all the helpfull replies!
    Yes I have asked the seller and the purchased one looks exactly like the pic in my post. With the difference that my one will be a splash edt.
    I already learned on this forum that we should avoid buying the newest formula without metal on the bottle.
    Then later I learned on my own experience that the latest pre-loreal
    formula is something to avoid purchasing too. It is a day and night compered to my Sanofi mini. Especially in the opening. It feels so syntetic.
    But I wasn't sure about the one which I purchased.
    Btw do you guys have a good source for vintage formulas in EU?
    Thanks again!

No problem at all!!
    Unfortunately i dont, i live in Australia and try to source what i can through mainly ebay although a few fellow basenoters may have some suggestions.

To be honest with you, ive been looking real hard for Kouros Vintage if thats what you are talking about and it is hard stuff to find although it does pop up on ebay.

If you are interested, maybe you can contact the seller on ebay. I purchased this bottle not too long ago, its from the Sanofi era and the batch is from around 1992 - its excellent stuff. This is the seller i purchased it from and it seems this is his last one for sale:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORIGINAL-...95bf93d&_uhb=1

By the way in my opinion the pre L'Oreal stuff aint bad as long as it says Parfums under the Yves Saint Laurent name and not B.R.I or YSL Beaute.

I believe just before the takeover or during the transitioning period they used B.R.I which means Beaute Research Industries (L'Oreal) I think they used the last of the Gucci juice, the bottle has chrome baseplate and shoulders and that juice is not too bad either but certainly not worth paying too much money for. Ofcourse the B.R.I version would have been through reformulations too but not as bad as the stuff without the metal base and shoulders...

Quote Originally Posted by Shitnose View Post
    Thank you guys for all the helpfull replies!
    Yes I have asked the seller and the purchased one looks exactly like the pic in my post. With the difference that my one will be a splash edt.
    I already learned on this forum that we should avoid buying the newest formula without metal on the bottle.
    Then later I learned on my own experience that the latest pre-loreal
    formula is something to avoid purchasing too. It is a day and night compered to my Sanofi mini. Especially in the opening. It feels so syntetic.
    But I wasn't sure about the one which I purchased.
    Btw do you guys have a good source for vintage formulas in EU?
    Thanks again!

Thanks for the link.
    This version looks exactly the same like the one I purchased.
    So I might love it. Awaiting to receive it.

Let us know what you think as soon as you have tried it!

Will do of course!

Quote Originally Posted by neilk83 View Post

Questions you should ask the seller are:
    1. Is the item i am purchased EXACTLY the SAME as the one in the picture? If yes, then thats a positive sign.
    2. Can you please tell me if at the bottom of the box under Yves Saint Laurent if you what is written? is it Sanofi, Parfums, BRI, YSL Beaute or Parfums Corp. this information may sometimes be at the back of the box also.

If they say YSL Beaute - this is the L'Oreal stuff that many of us are no longer purchasing due to the reformulation. No baseplate or chrome shoulders.
    If it says B.R.I this will have metal Shoulders and baseplate and chrome shoulders and the juice in my opinion is good. Something i would definately purchase but not pay too much for.
    If it says "Parfums" grab the bottle you wont be disappointed, just be sure not to pay too much.
    If it says Sanofi or YSL Parfums Corp then buy and dont think! The juice is really excellent!!

Another thing to look at is the wording "Eau de Toilette" if it is directly under the Kouros name then its something to get. If Eau de toilette is just above the Yves Saint Laurent name towards the bottom of the bottle then its reformulated, but it maybe still good juice depending on the distribution. - Refer to point 2.
    What I got is the one with metal base plate and shoulders, with serial code 41651.

Baseplate says:

Dist, N.Y., N.Y, 10019 USA
    YvesSaintLaurent
    Parfums Corp
    50ml - 1.6oz 80% vol.
    Paris Made in France

Checkcosmetic says it was made 2004, but basenotes forum about YSL batch code says it's from 1994.

Which one's the right year of prduction?
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

That would be 1994, Sanofi Produced, its the good stuff!!

May i ask where you got it from? I wouldnt mind getting my hands on more stock...

What I got is the one with metal base plate and shoulders, with serial code 41651.

Baseplate says:

Dist, N.Y., N.Y, 10019 USA
    YvesSaintLaurent
    Parfums Corp
    50ml - 1.6oz 80% vol.
    Paris Made in France

Checkcosmetic says it was made 2004, but basenotes forum about YSL batch code says it's from 1994.

Which one's the right year of prduction?

That would be 1994, Sanofi Produced, its the good stuff!!

May i ask where you got it from? I wouldnt mind getting my hands on more stock...
    Thanks.

I live in the Philippines, and we have this older, gone out of fashion shopping mall where I live. Used to be a "cool" mall, 20 something years ago. Not anymore.

It's like a time warp there. Like a shopping mall Cuba. Heh.

They got VC&A PH, Jacomo Silences, Joop Homme vintage, all the vintage Bruts, Jovans and Charlies, etc.
    80's and 90s stuff.

I got a 50ml black with gold trim Chanel No.5 EDT for around 12 US dollars.
    And the YSL Kouros for about 20 US dollars.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

WOW!

Do they have a website? i would love to buy some of the Kouros, like i said im trying to stock up, its my favourite scent and more recently ive started collecting all the different flankers too...

Thanks.

I live in the Philippines, and we have this older, gone out of fashion shopping mall where I live. Used to be a "cool" mall, 20 something years ago. Not anymore.

It's like a time warp there. Like a shopping mall Cuba. Heh.

They got VC&A PH, Jacomo Silences, Joop Homme vintage, all the vintage Bruts, Jovans and Charlies, etc.
    80's and 90s stuff.

I got a 50ml black with gold trim Chanel No.5 EDT for around 12 US dollars.
    And the YSL Kouros for about 20 US dollars.

As an aside, fans of the legendary fragrance may like to read about its introduction in February 1981.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/1...00b3f3f8_b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    As an aside, fans of the legendary fragrance may like to read about its introduction in February 1981.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/1...00b3f3f8_b.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for the link.
    (1724)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

WOW!

Do they have a website? i would love to buy some of the Kouros, like i said im trying to stock up, its my favourite scent and more recently ive started collecting all the different flankers too...
    No website. Sorry. My Sotd now, Sprayed it on, 1 spray to the chest, around midnight, after a long bath (it spits out a good mist, even at 8-12 inches away)

It is 10:30am right now and it still projects well, people at an arms length can smell it well. And it is not as challenging at this stage. Likeable to many now,
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Interesting launched the same year and month my parents got married and Kouros was the first fragrance my mom gifted my dad a year later in 1982. Its one of my top fav 5 fragrances.
    Thanks for the article!

Hello my friends, i read this thread in awe and could gather good informations about one of my favorite Oldis. As i am collecting mostly Vintage and old smelling Colognes Kouros grabed my attention very soon.

Recently i acquired some bottles of Kouros but on one i am not sure if its a real bottle or a fake.
    I made some pictures showing a Vintage splash bottle, one 50ml spray bottle from maybe after 2000 and the one i am not sure if its real. I will list everything that made me suspicious and upload some pics these could help others identify Vintage and fakes (if its a fake) hopefully.

My Vintage Bottle is a 100ml Splash bottle, on the left it was slightly used as i got it, the second is a new shrinkwrapped vintage listing Sanofi Beaute Inc. on the package, only three ingredients on the back but to my suprise the bottom is silver and the upper top too. Normaly i just saw packages with the lower end in silver.
    The bottle inside has a gummy pungent smell if you touch it like ranzid cheap gummi toys from china. Maybe thes will go away after staying for some time outside the packages but i am not sure. Second when i touch the word Kouros in front or the rest of the letter it feels rough like etched in words but these are on top not etched in. On the other bottles it feels soft like gum. When i lay the bottle down i have to switch the sides to read the label not like on the other bottles as you can see on the picture.
    Testing the juice it smells like Kouros with a loooong animalic/urinal smell for about 2 hours and the drydown is very very slow and there is really no or hard to detect sweetnes as on the newer 50ml bottle that has a more powdery smell. Longevity is high sprayed on 10pm and smelled it close to the skin at 10am in the morning. As i never had used Kouros before its hard for me to say the smell is right or not. The Splash bottle has a similar animalic note but is a tad sweeter from the begining but not powdery. From the 100ml Spray its really harsh anmialic urinal note and stays for a long time.
    So i am up to you letting me know if it might be a fake bottle or a real one i dont have to worry about.

Btw which serie is my 50ml bottle as i have to say this is my favorite of the three smells and i wanna get one more bottle of this one.

Many thanks to you all

All look real to me....................Mind that Kouros has no urinal smell................maybe urinal cakes but not urine itself; there is no note of ammonia in Kouros either, lol. The animalic part is civet(one)!

Your bottle on the left is the oldest imo and the 50ml is the pre-L'Oreal bottle or, in other words, the pre-current (current = all white) bottle. Still ok (imo) but the 100ml's u have are older and better/deeper/more animalic/less powdery/more civetone/less cloves smelling.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 26th December 2013 at 01:11 PM.

Okay, so nas2000, The Kouros on the right is the B.R.I version which stands for Beaute Research Industries aka L'Oreal. That bottle would be from around 2009 and Juice is decent compared to the new stuff.

That still had metal on the base and shoulders and they started stamping B.R.I on the baseplates around 2009 when L'Oreal started to completely takeover. this was the transitioning period.

So yes its real, just not the best stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by nas2000 View Post
    Hello my friends, i read this thread in awe and could gather good informations about one of my favorite Oldis. As i am collecting mostly Vintage and old smelling Colognes Kouros grabed my attention very soon.

Recently i acquired some bottles of Kouros but on one i am not sure if its a real bottle or a fake.
    I made some pictures showing a Vintage splash bottle, one 50ml spray bottle from maybe after 2000 and the one i am not sure if its real. I will list everything that made me suspicious and upload some pics these could help others identify Vintage and fakes (if its a fake) hopefully.

My Vintage Bottle is a 100ml Splash bottle, on the left it was slightly used as i got it, the second is a new shrinkwrapped vintage listing Sanofi Beaute Inc. on the package, only three ingredients on the back but to my suprise the bottom is silver and the upper top too. Normaly i just saw packages with the lower end in silver.
    The bottle inside has a gummy pungent smell if you touch it like ranzid cheap gummi toys from china. Maybe thes will go away after staying for some time outside the packages but i am not sure. Second when i touch the word Kouros in front or the rest of the letter it feels rough like etched in words but these are on top not etched in. On the other bottles it feels soft like gum. When i lay the bottle down i have to switch the sides to read the label not like on the other bottles as you can see on the picture.
    Testing the juice it smells like Kouros with a loooong animalic/urinal smell for about 2 hours and the drydown is very very slow and there is really no or hard to detect sweetnes as on the newer 50ml bottle that has a more powdery smell. Longevity is high sprayed on 10pm and smelled it close to the skin at 10am in the morning. As i never had used Kouros before its hard for me to say the smell is right or not. The Splash bottle has a similar animalic note but is a tad sweeter from the begining but not powdery. From the 100ml Spray its really harsh anmialic urinal note and stays for a long time.
    So i am up to you letting me know if it might be a fake bottle or a real one i dont have to worry about.

Btw which serie is my 50ml bottle as i have to say this is my favorite of the three smells and i wanna get one more bottle of this one.

Many thanks to you all

Okay, so nas2000, The Kouros on the right is the B.R.I version which stands for Beaute Research Industries aka L'Oreal. That bottle would be from around 2009 and Juice is decent compared to the new stuff.

So yes its real, just not the best stuff...
    Thank you for your replys but my question was for the one with the silver lined Box in the middle from Sanofi not from BRI. I did read the whole thread so i know its a bit pre Loreal one but i am more curious if the Sanofi one is real but as Slayerized thinks it should be real i am happy that i bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by nas2000 View Post
    Thank you for your replys but my question was for the one with the silver lined Box in the middle from Sanofi not from BRI. I did read the whole thread so i know its a bit pre Loreal one but i am more curious if the Sanofi one is real but as Slayerized thinks it should be real i am happy that i bought it.
    I have a 200 ml splash bottle of the Sanofi-era juice and I think it's excellent. I find it to be a bit richer and smoother than the 'BRI' juice, of which I also own a couple of bottles.

Its Real! im 100% confident

Of course! This frag is hardly copied anyways and the rare ones I saw were done very badly!
    Now you go cleaning that left splash bottle with the blood stain on it! ()

Slayerized, never knew there was copies of Kouros I know that there were replicas like Horus, is this what you were referring to? I would love to see if pics of the original if it was faked as I am about to start a very large review on every varient of Kouros produced so please let me know.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If anyone has a reliable source for the metal/metal looking shoulder(s) and bottom type Kouros, please PM me!
    (Formerly Jouho)

ILikePeeps, I have stock of the B.R.I version and Parfums version from 2007... pm if u r interested

Me neither and actually nothing to worry about. I remember I saw a bad copy (not an imitation) in a thread somewhere with the 'Kouros' letters in blue and slanting. In that thread it was said there are copies of it now and then but I never faced one.

Slayerized, never knew there was copies of Kouros I know that there were replicas like Horus, is this what you were referring to? I would love to see if pics of the original if it was faked as I am about to start a very large review on every varient of Kouros produced so please let me know.

Hi Andre

I saw one with a long 2 white/3 silver stripes at the back and a list of only 3 ingredients. The batch no is 81100. Is this vintage as well?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by amat gamat View Post
    Hi Andre

I saw one with a long 2 white/3 silver stripes at the back and a list of only 3 ingredients. The batch no is 81100. Is this vintage as well?

Cheers
    Yes that is, does it say Sanofi or YSL Parfums?

Hi Vinramani09
    It says Sanofi Beaute Inc, Made in France.
    I first used this perfume way back in the 80's. But after many years of switching brands, I finally bought one bottle in 2008. To my dissapointment, the smell wasn't the same as before. My wife also noticed of the smell change. I have to give it away....
    Now, I am looking over Ebay hoping to get a bottle of vintage at a price that I can afford. Wish me luck
    Last edited by mat kepoh; 16th April 2014 at 11:46 AM.

hi all,
    number "81100" is not a batch.
    batch number is painted / engraved on the box
    anyway, look here for more infos about all Kouros bottles:

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...t-of-gods.html
    Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.