Code of Conduct

Cool need a kick ass summer scent!

hey there i just joined and m looking for some suggestions on what to get for summer, all responses will be appreciated (actually, any response at all would be just freakin awsome! )

so , what i have at the mo summer wise...

M7 Fresh
    Mugler Cologne
    Black XS
    ck1 (dunno if this is really a summer scent, i wear it all year round tho)

m looking for something different, something that will stand out (but not in a weired , freakish, sending ppl scattering in every direction kinda way ), something exciting, fresh, think, "What would a rock star wear in summer?"

yes, i know..delusions of grandeur...but hey, if these one thing the world needs more of, its freakin rock stars baby!!!

Default Re: need a kick ass summer scent!

Welcome to Basenotes! You're a few months behind (most people would inquire about autumnal scents) but some nice summer fragrances I enjoy are:

Creed Millesime Imperial
    Paco Robanne XS
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    YSL Kouros (worn VERY VERY lightly, this one is amazing in the heat)
    Tommy T

Hey voodoo.

Acqua di Parma colonia,
    Creed Bois de Cedrat,
    Creed selection Verte,
    Guerlain vetiver,
    Miller Harris Citron Citron,
    Geo F Trumper GFT,
    Roberto Capucci R de Capucci,
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

My summer arsenal includes:

Terre d'Hermes
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Armani Eau PH
    Green Irish Tweed
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Eau Sauvage
    Bvlgari PH

My favourite at the moment is TdH - it is simply stunning, fresh. clean but sharp and deep, easily appealing (unlike, say, VE or GV, which I love, but are less "crowd pleasing"). The noyl criticism is moderate longevity (4 hours) but it seems variable - lately it hasn't been great but initially it was 6+ hours. Maybe fatigue?

Anyway, you MUST buy TdH..and maybe Guerlain Vetiver or Bvlgari which you can get on the cheap.

ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I guess the NZ flag is not always recognized on sight thoughout the Commonwealth

Some that I like:

Creed: Selection Verte, MI, Citrus Bigarrade

L'Artisan: L'Eau de l'Artisan

Diptyque: Philosykos

Annick Goutal: Hadrien Absolu

Serge Lutens: Gris Clair

Santa Maria Novella: Citta di Kyoto

Comme des Garcons 3

Acca Kappa 1869

Three in particular say "summer" to me: Selection Verte, L'Eau de l'Artisan and Philosykos. The sophisticated rock star would wear Selection Verte, I think.

Welcome to BN:wave: .

I'd recommend Geir and/or H.M.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

H.M.? Bold choice for summer, I must say.

I would like to add:

For interesting ones:

Live Jazz

Terre de Bois

Riviere de Janvier

For less interesting ones but ones that are cheap and smell good:

Benneton Sport

Bulgari Aqua

Welcome to the board!

This summer, I was mostly wearing:

M7 Fresh - (carry a bottle if you've got a long day, as it does wear off after some hours (well, with me anyway))
    Aqua Motu - (this lasts all day for me)
    Happy for Men - (this sometimes lasts, sometimes it doesn't - v.odd)
    Pi Fraiche - (lasts all day for me) and
    Vetiver Hombre - (a bit like M7 Fresh re. lasting power).

There was one really hot sweaty day (about 34C) where I had a meeting with someone I can't stand who was due to apologise for instructing me incorrectly and making my department look silly. I wore 1965 Aramis (v.heavily layered) just to make the experience even more unpleasant for him (I have an olfactory block on this one, so I was fine). Retribution by scent! MUHAHAHA!

But yes, any of the others I can heartily recommend.

Vetiver by Guerlain
    Eau Sauvage by Dior
    Neroli Sauvage by Creed

Hey, some of the recommendations seem to be too strong for what he wants!
    Go for Azzaro Chrome!

L'Anarchiste by Caron was made with your voodoo in mind, Voodoo!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    I guess the NZ flag is not always recognized on sight thoughout the Commonwealth
    Ha! I bet most members of the Commonwealth don't even know they're in the Commonwealth, let alone recognize all of each others' flags.

Here's my summer list. If you're looking for unique:
    -Terre d'Hermes
    -Cuiron (yes, I said Cuiron. Even though it's leather, its dry and light, and it works wonderfully in the heat).
    -Bulgari PH is good, but I don't think a rock star would wear it for some reason.
    -Bulgari Black (once again, not really fresh, but light enough that it works. DEFINITELY something a rock star would wear IMO.
    -L'Eau par Kenzo. No summer thread would be complete without it.

I recommend some of those less typical summer scents because I know it rarely breaches 30 In New Zealand, so they'd work well the majority of the time. It's going to be fun posting on here when your seasons are all backwards from most of ours

OK, i'm done. Sweet as
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 18th October 2006 at 08:35 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Wow! so many suggestions, thanks you all so much, its much appreciated, i have been thinking about L'Eau par Kenzo, Terre d'Hermes, i also saw a few by Santa Maria Novella, they seem really interesting, will definately have a look at the other suggested scents.

Bulgari Black - i was really interested in this one, tho i have never smeled it before, i know it isnt really a summer scent, but as "LiveJazz" mentioned, it almost never reaches 30 in New Zealand, its just, from the reviews, the "burnt rubber" note which is supposed to be quiet strong, has got me a little apprehensive.

Azzaro Chrome sounds interesting, so does L'Artisan: L'Eau de l'Artisan (although, i think i like the name more than the thought of smelling like a fresh cut lawn :P ) i actually have Happy for Men, but i think its a little synthetic? dunno, i dont really use it anymore.

thanks again for all this, will be checking them out, please keep them coming.

Rock on ppl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    My favourite at the moment is TdH - it is simply stunning, fresh. clean but sharp and deep, easily appealing (unlike, say, VE or GV, which I love, but are less "crowd pleasing"). The noyl criticism is moderate longevity (4 hours) but it seems variable - lately it hasn't been great but initially it was 6+ hours. Maybe fatigue?
    I'm really quite fond of Tdh too, (and find the longevity very good, incidentally, so maybe it is fatigue). My only disappointment (and yes I realise it sounds snobby/pretentious) is that they've really mass marketed this one (in Australia, imagine it could be similar situation in NZ), it's in all the Dept stores and I've seen glossy ads in local mags. They're relative exclusivity was one of the things that once set Hermès apart from other designer scents (I mention this, VoOd00Ch!LE, because you said you wanted something that would stand out). I was going to buy it but my flatmate came home with it one day and that kind of killed it for me. Sad.

Another vote for Tdh

I second the recommendation for L'Eau par Kenzo.

Also, look into Tommy Bahama: Set Sail St. Barts & Bulgari: Aqua
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Terre D'Hermes

Just tested L'eauParKenzo Pour Homme today at Sephora and think I might be going back to buy it.

New summer favorite for me is Dior Homme Cologne. Not the EdT, not the intense version, not the sport version. The Cologne version is closest to the EdT, but lightened up in an "eau" kinda way. You still get a little of the "lipstick" topnotes, but not much of the cocoa. Enough of the EdT middle and base remains so you know they're first cousins. The Cologne is the more elegant, wealthier cousin. You'll want to spend time enjoying the tone. So sophisticated and enjoyable. Short longevity, but you'll happily reapply. It's great stuff.