Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hillaire

Default Unsung Treasures

They might be former one-hit wonders, forgotten discontinued beauties, treasures from smaller, more obscure houses, quality scents that never got their due press and fizzled quickly,or even stuff that wasn't considered elegant in its time...

What are the really excellent "secret" scents you have in your collection know about that never get discussed here on basenotes?

A few of my right-now underrated fabulosities are:

Bogner Woman - First of all, the whole Bogner line was superb (If you actually see one, BUY it!), a sort of smaller Jil Sander. Woman is a perfectly smooth rose chypre with depth and subtlety both. It's the more refined, more reserved sister of Jil Sander 4.

Bogner Deep Woods - Gentlemen, this is just so excellent it hurts! A truly refreshing green fougere that is as sophisticated as it could be. Suitable for both sexes. I recommend investing in this if you are seeking a discontinued marvel for your collection.

Capucci Capucci - Perhaps this is my favorite 'eighties' scent. Fitting in somewhere between EL Beautiful and Ungaro Diva, Cappuci Cappuci is a perfectly-conjured, seamless, deep-honeyed chypre with a heated, spiced drydown that lasts and evolves and lasts and evolves. You'll ask "who's Natori?" Perfumey in the best possible sense of the word. Diva devotees might think twice! And it's still widely available and affordable (though it is discontinued.)

Marina Picasso Chapeau Bleu - A very niche-like single offering from Picassos "other" daughter, Marina. A really cool fruity wood scent that is refreshing and sensual. And the bottle is freaking amazing.

Nino Cerruti Pour Femme - WOW, this was an eighties scent to die for! Left in the shadow of La Nuit, a really potent, remarkably-dark leather scent. Very sexy, and in a funky bottle.

Pierre Cardin Original Pour Homme
    - This is discontinued now, a very pleasing basic, men's chypre with a warm powdery drydown.

Gabriela Sabatini by Gabriela Sabatini
    (Who was she, again?) - I kind of adore this subtle, sweet, warm floral. No one will know you are wearing an eighties scent! It's mature, cozy, and very silky.

Gala by Loewe - I think this is what Rumba was supposed to be. A soapy, powerhouse, spicy Oriental with a brash dose of aldehydes and a zesty, heated drydown. This one really does scream voluptuous Latina in low cut black satin. And it's awfully well done. Right on the money, this one. Oh, and Loewe is a great house to look into as well.

Looking forward to hearing about your under-lauded favorites, too!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 27th June 2010 at 04:41 AM.

Default Re: Unsung Treasures

I have some "secret" scents too, things I enjoy for a variety of reasons.

Priscilla Presley's Roses and More...which I wear when I need a scent I can spray recklessly and need a rose (can't be reckless with Sa Majeste, at least I can't)

Balenciaga's Cialenga: a spicy chypre of a sort

Jacomo's Silences: a very green mossy floral, don't know why anybody would name this "silences"

Weil de Weil: Always loved Weil and this greeny in a summer fave, but far less known than Zibeline or Antilope

and while I'm on a green tangent, AL Moss, is rarely among the Serena scents I read about here, but never ever fails to attract loads of admiration from women, never men.

Oh, and Senso by Ungaro, I'm the only one I know who likes it.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 11th April 2010 at 02:37 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Hillaire,

As usual you are truly a fount of perfume knowledge. Great thread!

The very obscure scent I own (can only find on one database) is Vallee des Rois by Mira Takla, an Egyptologist. 1989 dc'd in the 90's. I think it was only sold a few places like Harrods and the Cairo airport. A floral oriental with a heartnotes reminiscent of Chergui.

Looking forward to everyone's posts on this subject......
    Last edited by knit at nite; 11th April 2010 at 02:32 AM.

Hillaire

Zibeline, I love Cialenga, too. It's my 'other' Rive Gauche . I am glad you mentioned Weil Weil because I have wanted to try it so badly! Now I will.

Knit at nite, OMG that sounds incredible! DROOLING!! Is it smoky like Chergui, too?

Also glad you mentioned Priscilla Presley because I also adore her Moments and Indian Summer! (Adding those now)-

Moments is a really heady rose leather chypre that is closest to Knowing but sweeter and more leathery. Not a bad scent at all, but loud as hell; a drop will do ya! Indian Summer is a light, gentle very sophisticated fresh scent with a feminine "clean" drydown that lasts.A more refined., more modern 5th Avenue.

Oh, and speaking of Jacomo! I'd like to add Silences Purple and Anthracite. Anthracite is a plummy chypre with loads of galbanum an green that dries down fougere-like, It'd suit men VERY well. It's excellent and I see lots of it on ebay not too much.,
    Silences Purple is a little too sweety-pie at first but dries down quickly to a very sexy tonka-sweet, ambered Oriental in the modern style that is really rather expensive-smelling.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 11th April 2010 at 03:11 AM.

Hi my gorgeous Hillaire,
    FANTASTIC thread! I have some more Unsung Treasures to add to the list:

1. Iceberg Universe
    2. Luciano Soprani '2 by Soprani'
    3. Enrico Coveri Enrico Coveri (for women the original)
    4. Enrico Coveri Firenze
    5. Leonard original (for women)
    6. Lancetti Suspense
    7. Lilith by Callaghan
    8. Pierre Cardin original for women
    9. Marbert Women
    10. Marbert Scarf Taormina
    11. Brooksfield Nuance
    12. Morabito Mon Classique
    13. Yves Rocher vintage 8e jour
    14. Molyneux Le Chic
    15. Trussardi Fresh for Women
    16. Trussardi Light Her
    17. Trussardi Action
    18 Olivier Strelli for Women
    19. Capucci Opera III (especially if you adore NOA from Cacharel!)
    20. 'G' from Gigli (especially if you like cherry in a perfume from the master Sophie Labbe)
    21. Donna Borsalino (hard to get sadly)
    22. Soprani Solo Rosa
    23. Yves Rocher (almost all vintages) and not to forget 'Rose Ispahan'
    24. and the gorgeous gorgeous Nazareno Gabrielli original.

The list is not complete yet, but just to get you started...
    Love,
    Bookshop
    Last edited by bookshop88; 11th April 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Hillaire: Gabriela Sabatini by Gabriela Sabatini[/B] (Who was she, again?) - I kind of adore this subtle, sweet, warm floral. No one will know you are wearing an eighties scent! It's mature, cozy, and very silky.

Hillaire, I am one of the BIGGEST fans of the Sabatini original!!!! It is just so lovely and warm, it really touches me in a way little perfumes do! I cannot recommend that one enough!!!
    Thanks for getting our attention in the right direction!!
    Bookshop
    Last edited by bookshop88; 11th April 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Excellent thread!

Signature pour Homme by ST Dupont
    Le Roy Soleille Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo
    Lanvin for Men (discontinued)
    Diva by Ungaro
    Kors by Michael Kors

I loved Gabriela Sabatini as a tennis pro, but I never went out of my way to sniff any of her fragrances, and she has a bunch! I'm so pleased to hear at least one is worth seeking out.

In addition to the aforementioned Capucci and 8e Jour (which has been a top-ten favorite since the 90s,) I have a few other surprisingly obscure beauties to name -

Yendi by Capucci - a zesty and fresh hyacinthy green floral, imo a high-end sister of Faberge's Babe, which I also adore.
    Sinan by Jean-Marc Sinan - gorgeous, deep green dry chypre. I always thought it was so sophisticated and stylish, and I loved that nobody seemed to know it even back in the day.
    Kif by Lamborghini - spicy, incensey, soft oriental
    Bat Sheba by Judith Muller - another smoldery soft oriental, sexy and exotic
    Parfum Prive by La Perla - very elegant, very beautiful and radiant floral chypre
    Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein - his first, a stunning rosey floral chypre, his best ever imo and very few people seem to know or remember it.
    Privilege by Parfums Privilege - a crisp and bright floral in the same family as Lauren, Pure White Linen and Womenswear by Alexander Julian...which could also make the list.
    Galanos by Galanos - I don't like the Nancy Reagan association so much either, but this lush green and mossy chypre transcends all that.
    Detchema by Revillon - beautiful, elegant aldehydic rosey floral, charming and ultra lady-like.
    Prelude by Balenciaga - my favorite from this house, for me it's all about fresh, herbal mountain air over warm amber.
    Quartz by Molyneux - a bright, citrussy and minerally floral chypre, so much better and more interesting than Cristalle, imo.
    Vivre by Molyneux - another sleek and stunning green chypre, I put this in the same family
    as Givenchy III
    K de Krizia by Krizia - not quite as obscure-seeming as some of the others, but I don't think it
    gets the attention it deserves.

I'm not familiar with the others you mentioned Diamondflame, but Diva gets a good amount of love here - I thought it was an all-time favorite!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 11th April 2010 at 06:18 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bookshop88 View Post
    FANTASTIC thread!
    + 1

Not so much hidden treasures, as just neglected ones;

Dune pour Homme, Dior. Extremely rarely mentioned here on BN,
    and when it does get mentioned, it's probably by me!
    Spellbound, Estée Lauder. Same as above.
    Ysatis, Givenchy. A true 80s power house, rarely talked about.
    Sun Moon Stars, Karl Lagerfeld. An all but forgotten gem. Where is the love?!
    Narcisse, Chloé. The Queen of Great Britain's signature scent. Must mean something!

Basenotes Institution

Mine is Raffinee by Houbigant ( now owned by Dana )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Evangeline has mentioned some I would have mentioned. Also:

Germaine by Germaine Monteil -- sparkling green floral, rather like Le Temps d'une Fete, but with a more "70s chic" feel. Long gone.

Unter den Linden by Berlin Kosmetik -- this one always got me compliments, always. Only available for about two years around 1995 or so. It reminds me of nothing else I own.

Megara by Le Galion -- one of those "I wish I had purchased some when I had a chance" scents. Somewhat like Ivoire or Chanel No. 19, but with an exquisite restraint neither of those scents has ever shown on my skin.

Basenotes Plus

Hillaire,
    Vallee des Rois doesn't have the smokiness in Chergui to my untrained nose- but it does have that resinous, honeyed, but still dry feel. Maybe the notes in common help reflect the "desert" theme?

This thread is going to eat up my perfume budget QUICKLY- BRING it!
    I have Silences and it grows on me with each wearing. So I've ordered samples of Anthracite and Silences Purple, and Cialenga.

I've already got some of KdeKrizia, Quartz and Yendi and Ispahan (not the rose). So if someone (in the US) wants to trade samples of some of these scents, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Mine is Raffinee by Houbigant ( now owned by Dana )
    Is the Dana version as lovely...the Dana version of Demi-jour is not as beautiful as the Houbigant scent, nor is their Chantilly. I love both of the originals.

Hillaire

I am so glad to see so many other greats being brought up here! YEAH! And so many I am dying to try!

I was trying to keep Soprani 2 under wraps, bookshop, as I only have found one for sale on earth and I am saving for it. It's the best thing ever, a perfected CK Obsession (the older version of that is quite under-appreciated too.) A bright soap-bar aldehyde over sexy tobacco and musk...Except Soprani 2 wears like an Amouage, pure elegance.

Narcisse by Chloe is divine, Duc! I have always admired its sillage, and still it captivates me from afar.

Diamondflame, I like ST Dupont generally; I am so eager to try the men's!
    Evangeline agreed on Privilege! It's cheap, too! As well as the others.

My apologies, my friend, I don't have the depth and scope of perfumery that you do to do this question justice, but little gems I've recenlty found are Absoluto by anotonia's flowers, and Ma Faute, by Galimard. (I wore Ma Faute this morning, spritzed at 2:30 a.m.!!!, for my bike ride down Mt. haleakala in Maui, for 8 hours it wore beautifully!!!)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

012407fragrance-us-1.jpgNot really a hidden treasure, but one of my favorites is the impossibly retro, Norell. I have the parfum extrait. Love the dry, galbanum top over the slightly soapy, amber base. The bottle/packaging is as perfect in its simplicity as that of No. 5 and Joy.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th April 2010 at 02:15 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Is the Dana version as lovely...the Dana version of Demi-jour is not as beautiful as the Houbigant scent, nor is their Chantilly. I love both of the originals.
    You know Zibeline- I reckon it's been redone ( haven't they all ? ) but I can't be sure. I remember first trying this one when I was a teenager and wow ! it was love. It smells the same to me ...but you never know.

Yay - Hillaire's excellent thread is still going strong! I'm so glad to see all the new posts, and I'm taking notes.

I totally agree with Norell, Mr. Guyer - I tend to overlook it now, but there was a time when I always had a touch on perfume of it in my purse. Hillaire recently compared it to another favorite of mine, Gucci No. 1 (which I actually feel guilty about neglecting to mention earlier.) I thought the comparison was odd at first, but naturally I gave them a side by side sniff from the bottles (a skin test wasn't even necessary) and I was shocked, but I got it! The Gucci is a bit less casual somehow...it's a bit more tailored and elegant with sparkling aldehhydes on the top - I hoard it.

Ysatis is one of my favorites too, Duc! I saw your comment about the kid saying someone smelled like his grandma when you were wearing it, but that's not an insult. My grandma wore it too, and that just means we all recognize an opulent and glamorous fragrance when we smell one, including that kid! (Btw, my "Momo" also wore Poison, Coco, Opium, Chloe, Dolce Vita, Giorgio, Cabochard and Angel, and she wore them all beautifully.)

Another one I forgot to mention is Marilyn Miglin's Pheromone. I realize how polarizing it is/was, but I just love it. I think it's a chypre, although I have a hard time categorizing or even describing it, but it's certainly unique, and very luxurious.

I think Fragonard is an underrated house. They have beautiful and very well-priced perfumes, edps and natural edts, almost all of which (of the ones I've smelled - they're prolific) I'd recommend. Fleur D'Oranger (I know someone else here loves this one, too....kewart?!), Cerisier en Fleurs, Belle de Nuit, Belle de Soleil, Fantasque and Miranda are all wonderful.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 12th April 2010 at 02:36 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Ysatis is one of my favorites too, Duc! I saw your comment about the kid saying someone smelled like his grandma when you were wearing it, but that's not an insult. My grandma wore it too, and that just means we all recognize an opulent and glamorous fragrance when we smell one, including that kid! (Btw, my "Momo" also wore Poison, Coco, Opium, Chloe, Dolce Vita, Giorgio, Cabochard and Angel, and she wore them all beautifully.)
    Wow, that is one stylish momo ... so cool!

Hillaire

Evangleline, you are so right; Fragonard is also nice and forgotten, may I add Rendez-Vous to the list? I don't even think it's in the database.

Oh, and Evangeline, may I also recommend Crown Perfumery's Malabar, since you are such a fan of Gucci 1 ? It's available for really good prices.

Adding the great Moschino Moschino (original one with the Italian flag ribbon) - what a dynamite impeccable chypre. It's bone dry, salty, not at all sweet, and another that dries down fougere-like. I'd think men would be re-visiting this one like crazy, as a green galbanum aromatic chype with whiz bang sillage. Especially since it's widely available. SO, guys, try out the original women's Moschino.

The original men's Moschino (Does this get any press on the men's forum?) I also have, and it's one of the truly best, too. Not too loud, youthful and natural-smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Oh, and Evangeline, may I also recommend Crown Perfumery's Malabar, since you are such a fan of Gucci 1? It's available for really good prices.
    Yes, of course - thank you!! The Moschino sounds good, too.

Evangleline, you are so right; Fragonard is also nice and forgotten, may I add Rendez-Vous to the list? I don't even think it's in the database.
    I've never seen Rendez-Vous and it's not in their current line-up, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for it now. Thanks again!

Adding the great Moschino Moschino (original one with the Italian flag ribbon) - what a dynamite impeccable chypre. It's bone dry, salty, not at all sweet, and another that dries down fougere-like. I'd think men would be re-visiting this one like crazy, as a green galbanum aromatic chype with whiz bang sillage. Especially since it's widely available. SO, guys, try out the original women's Moschino.
    I just ordered a bottle from FragranceX.com - this one sounds great. Fingers crossed.

Hillaire

Wonderful, I know you'll love it! I'll stand behind my recommendation, too, Kevin. If you hate it, I'll buy it off you. I am wagering it's going to disappear with the new regulations,if it has not already been axed.

Great thread, Hillaire. Thanks! I don't have any unsung treasures to add at this time, but I'm furiously taking notes!

+ 1 for the Moschino! Everyone is going nuts about Glamour and Couture (me too by the way!) but they do NOT hold the candle to the original! The Orginal has not yet been surpassed! In the same style as the Soprani 2, SUPER polished and that is quite an accomplishment knowing we are talking about a hard core Galbanum!!
    Bookshop

I remember original Moschino. I had a bottle back in the day. It reminded me a little of Shalimar at that time. I haven't smelled it in ages.

My unsung treasures are nostalgic for me. Among my nostalgia frags, I have a long discontinued fragrance from Yardley called Springflowers (and I can't believe I actually found a bottle) that is a green floral chypre - the style of its day, 1968. I received a gift set of that scent when I was a child. Today, no one would find a chypre an appropriate scent for a child, but I wore it and loved it then. I still love Yardley's Lavender cologne, too. More recently, I've been enjoying a bottle of Waterford's Lismore that I found at Marshalls (discount store). It was created by Harry Fremont, and it is a lovely fragrance. It didn't do well, I suppose because Waterford went bankrupt and all those bottles went to the discounters. And I confess (blushing) that I am a big fan of Elizabeth Arden's Provocative Woman, which I think is pretty much despised everywhere. It smells great on me, though.

Wonderful thread!

I have to echo the mentions of Silences. I often wear it in the evening.

An unsung treasure is Nina Ricci's Farouche. I've only recently tried a sample, but all I can say is wowza.

Similar to Silences is Ivoire de Balmain. I don't see it mentioned too often. Ditto for Laura B's Roma.

Basenotes Institution

The other one which I LOVED and still do but it's discontinued - is the original Escada before they started all the flanker nonsense.

**I loved and owned Ysatis too, Duckie !

+1 for Norell, Silences, Ivoire de Balmain! All three are lovely and affordable.

I will add Paco Rabanne's Metal, another gorgeous green floral that has one of the prettiest musky dry-downs I've ever encountered. .

Also, Hillaire, you suggested Thymes Goldleaf in a different thread, and I got a chance to try that last weekend. It's beautiful! I purchased the foaming bath powder and body cream for now, but I will probably go buy a bottle of the perfume, too. What a lovely floral chypre!

Thymes Moonflower and Kimono Rose are also quite nice.
    Last edited by NebraskaLovesScent; 13th April 2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: edited to correct boldface type

I am glad you tried and like the Goldleaf, NLS. It is such a great chypre and so (to my way of thinking) underappreciated.

Paco Rabanne's Métal is brilliant, NebraskaLovesScent! +1

Hillaire

Oh, NLS I am glad too that you enjoyed Goldleaf. It's so lovely! And as Leesee points out under-appreciated; I imagine it would be raved about if it weren't the product of a more-or-less "gift shop" line.

Mysticknot, Escada was very unique and I loved it, too! But it was also badly reformulated some years before its discontinuation. A scent that smells much like it used to is Gianfranco Ferre's Essence de Eau (okay, there's another one.).

Lilybelle, Provocative Woman sounds interesting, I want to smell it! Was Waterford like the crystal brand? And they made scents? I'd love to smell those too. But especially the Yardley. Those are hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    The other one which I LOVED and still do but it's discontinued - is the original Escada before they started all the flanker nonsense.

**I loved and owned Ysatis too, Duckie !
    Oh the Escada is indeed WONDERFUL Mysticknot!! It is in PERFECT balance with the exotic notes of Cocos and Frangipani, without being the typical summery fragrance! NO this is SO much in balance with all the classical notes, that it is a category on its own! Not to mentoin the FANTASTIC sillage!!
    Buy this one!

Blog Entries

I have only one recommendation, but like Ubu I'm taking notes! I'll add Roberto Cavalli Oro to the list. I really need to get my thoughts together about this one and add a review to the Directory. I find it to be a smooth oriental; sexy and exotic but not overtly so. The notes I found on the RC website are iris, magnolia, cinnamon, apricot, blond honey, indian sandalwood, and amber. It's rich not too sweet, and the smoothness is a little creamy (likely from the magnolia), but *not* due to vanilla, which is a note that often doesn't work for me.

Of the ones mentioned so far, Gabriella Sabatini has been on my test list for ages! I've also been wanting to try Bill Blass Nude and Givenchy Greenergy. These are scents that I rarely see mentioned, but when they are it's usually with great admiration.

Great thread Hillaire!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I have only one recommendation, but like Ubu I'm taking notes! I'll add Roberto Cavalli Oro to the list. I really need to get my thoughts together about this one and add a review to the Directory. I find it to be a smooth oriental; sexy and exotic but not overtly so. The notes I found on the RC website are iris, magnolia, cinnamon, apricot, blond honey, indian sandalwood, and amber. It's rich not too sweet, and the smoothness is a little creamy (likely from the magnolia), but *not* due to vanilla, which is a note that often doesn't work for me.
    Well, I'm sold - you make this sound luscious! I don't like a strong vanilla note either, but I adore a creamy oriental, especially if it comes with magnolia. Sandalwood, honey and amber are also notes I tend to like. Thanks for posting this one!

Yeah, Hillaire - great thread!

eta: Is the original Escada still available anywhere, or is it now just an eBay find? That's another one I'm itching to sniff due to the recs here.

eta2: I just noticed that there is also iris in Oro and that did it! I rarely make a blind purchase, but a mini is really no risk at all, especially when the bottle's so funky and cool! Thanks again, aogirl!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 13th April 2010 at 08:21 PM.

Lilybelle, Provocative Woman sounds interesting, I want to smell it! Was Waterford like the crystal brand? And they made scents? I'd love to smell those too. But especially the Yardley. Those are hard to find!
    I'll be happy to send you some of these to try if you'd like, Hillaire. Yes, Waterford the crystal brand. It was named Lismore after one of their popular crystal patterns. The bottle is cut glass that converts into a bud vase when the perfume is used up. It was a nice idea, I thought, but it bombed. Not sexy enough probably.

Another unsung treasure I just remembered is Ferre 20. It was one of the first discoveries I made on my fragrant journey, and I still like it but I rarely, if ever, see it mentioned. It's been d/c, as far as I know.

Blog Entries

eta2: I just noticed that there is also iris in Oro and that did it! I rarely make a blind purchase, but a mini is really no risk at all, especially when the bottle's so funky and cool! Thanks again, aogirl!
    You're very welcome! I'd be happy to send you some if you'd like to try it first. Although the bottle is cool looking, it's so tall and slender that I worry about it tipping. I keep everything in their boxes anyway, but if I were inclined to display my favorites, I'd reconsider letting that one sit out.

I forget why, but I recently became interested in Fred Hayman Touch. I think someone must have mentioned it here. Does anyone have experience with it and would you call it an "unsung treasure?"
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    You're very welcome! I'd be happy to send you some if you'd like to try it first. Although the bottle is cool looking, it's so tall and slender that I worry about it tipping. I keep everything in their boxes anyway, but if I were inclined to display my favorites, I'd reconsider letting that one sit out.

I forget why, but I recently became interested in Fred Hayman Touch. I think someone must have mentioned it here. Does anyone have experience with it and would you call it an "unsung treasure?"
    Nice! Thanks so much for the offer, but I actually saw it and bought it (and for less than $9, so why not?)

Hillaire mentioned Touch in the Italian Holiday thread - I noticed her wonderful description, too. (She also made Sicily sound incredible so that one's also on my radar now! Hillaire is such a bad influence!)
    Last edited by Evangeline; 13th April 2010 at 08:49 PM.

Hillaire

Hillaire mentioned Touch in the Italian Holiday thread - I noticed her wonderful description, too. (She also made Sicily sound incredible so that one's also on my radar now! Hillaire is such a bad influence!)
    Everyone on this thread is a bad influence, I am torking with my paypal now and hunting down Oro!

I think yes Touch is a great unsung treasure. It's a bit of a latecomer to the big loudies, considering it arrived in the mid-nineties...it has such a syrupy, indolic tuberose note, ala Gigli, but it also combines interesting fresh-linen-y, aldehydic top bit and dries down skin-salty-sweaty -- almost coconutty. I am in love with it, actually, but it's not for the meek. The good news is it's like 10 USD a pop these days.

As for Escada, I do not know how one might detect the pre-washed-out version, as the packaging stayed the same. (Color, perhaps?) That was why I mentioned Essence de Eau, too, as it can still be found, and it's a fabulous alternate.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 14th April 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Are there two versions of Touch, male and female? I had what I thought was the male version and it smelled exactly like Neutrogena's Rainbath shower gel. I love it as a shower gel.

Hillaire

The men's Touch is very soapy and "clean". The women's version has a "touch" of that aspect, too -- the Rainbath. But it's more intensely floral, for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Are there two versions of Touch, male and female? I had what I thought was the male version and it smelled exactly like Neutrogena's Rainbath shower gel. I love it as a shower gel.
    That's it! I love Neutrogena Rainbath! I, well, I literally bathe in the stuff, don't I? I couldn't remember why it was on my test list (not my BN list, but another on my computer), and had assumed I wanted the feminine version.

And, hmm, Rainbath with tuberose? Sounds like I need to just try both!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Does this one qualify, Terracotta Voile D'Ete? I really love it and rarely see much written about it. I think Guerlain finally axed it.

Basenotes Plus

Does this one qualify, Terracotta Voile D'Ete? I really love it and rarely see much written about it. I think Guerlain finally axed it.
    yes, it was discontinued by Guerlain.
    I like it too. .

Hillaire

That's such a unique warm scent, Terracotta! Wonderful one. I have seen it for really low prices, too.

Another no one ever mentions is Fath de Fath, a classic Oriental that I find very beautiful and sophisticated.

Also Eau de Campagne, the bitter green chypre from Ellena. A more evolved, more timeless, less citric Cristalle. Stunning. And it has not been reformulated.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, surely there are more unsung treasures to be rediscovered and championed! hello? .......

Hillaire

Well, ookayy...

I'd like to mention the totally overlooked Acqua di Biella line. My personal favorite from this line is called Kid Mohair. It's a warm, flannely, creamed floral with a musky base. It's kind of impeccable actually. I fantasize about having some soon. Another really luxe offering is Cashmere Twill, almost a 'masculine' counterpart to KM -- though totally unisex: it's another wool scent, but instead of smelling like scratchy grey wool (GIT), it really does recall a warm cashmere sweater on a scrubby, groomed man. I LOVE it. Moreover the whole line is gorgeous. And the BOTTLES are GLORIOUS!

012407fragrance-us-1.jpgNot really a hidden treasure, but one of my favorites is the impossibly retro, Norell. I have the parfum extrait. Love the dry, galbanum top over the slightly soapy, amber base. The bottle/packaging is as perfect in its simplicity as that of No. 5 and Joy.
    I always liked Norell also, been wondering if the ones on ebay are real, but I think I have seen it sold somewhere.

Basenotes Plus

Kid Mohair??? One of my favorite fibers to knit, Hillaire! Must check out.

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Kid Mohair??? One of my favorite fibers to knit, Hillaire! Must check out.
    And Hillaire's pic had AH in the background!

(I have to add Jacomo Anthracite, (which Hillaire mentioned, by the way) ... I've been reveling in its vintage awesomeness all day.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 18th April 2010 at 06:24 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Hillaire

Okay I am adding another I just discovered due to a VERY generous, lovely basenoter. I did not even know this floral chypre existed, and it is PERFECTION. I haven't been this excited about a new thing since I discovered Amouage Jubilation, I kid you not. And I NEVER see it mentioned here; in fact it only has three reviews. It's so complex, so enticing, so plush, and very elegant. SIGH!

Sabi
    by Henry Dunay

Oh yes, Hillaire. Sabi was introduced to me by a smart sales associate one day, when I told her that I was looking for a great green floral. Isn't it special? Sigh...

I also agree that a couple of others mentioned, Terracotta Voile d'Ete and Eau de Campagne, may not get the attention they deserve. They are two of my favorites!

I will bring up another of my favorites, Embruns d'Ambre by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan. Its listed notes are ocean notes, sand, lemon, wood, and amber, and I find it to be a wonderful juxtaposition of cool and warm elements.

Wow. (wishing I had some... but it seems RARE)

WHICH seems rare is unclear to me... (sighs) wish I recalled which scent in particular I deemed rare!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 18th April 2010 at 06:27 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Oh, yes, Sabi! I was just about to post about it when I saw Hillaire's post. I was turned onto it by either Haunani or Quarry, I honestly forget which darling lady, but what a scent. What a scent. It has recently been elevated to the top of my wish list, so Hillaire's mentioning it is especially noteworthy to me.
    Last edited by Leesee; 18th April 2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typos

Hillaire

Oh, Leesee and Haunani, I am so glad you concur. Sabi has more than risen to the top of my list -- in just one evening -- I am feeling that this is "the one" as the night wears on; it's developed into something that is so sumptuous, luxuriant, and unmistakable, it just might displace Dia as my best scent.. My HG? Perhaps! Of course it costs as much as an Amouage! Now I just need to figure out what to SELL....

I hope you're happy now!!!

I read this thread and bought Silences spontaneously on ebay, just because...

;)

Hope, it's really that good. Got quite a deal, though.

Gosh, I received Silences today. It's a true gem and it only cost me 8€. Incredible. Thank you thread, thank you all.

Amouage Gold Gentlemen's Gologne. This is long discontinued, and almost competely forgotten about. Can you imagine an Amougage take on a traditional Eau de Cologne? This is it