Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Re: Unsung Treasures

I am glad you tried and like the Goldleaf, NLS. It is such a great chypre and so (to my way of thinking) underappreciated.

Paco Rabanne's Métal is brilliant, NebraskaLovesScent! +1

Hillaire

Oh, NLS I am glad too that you enjoyed Goldleaf. It's so lovely! And as Leesee points out under-appreciated; I imagine it would be raved about if it weren't the product of a more-or-less "gift shop" line.

Mysticknot, Escada was very unique and I loved it, too! But it was also badly reformulated some years before its discontinuation. A scent that smells much like it used to is Gianfranco Ferre's Essence de Eau (okay, there's another one.).

Lilybelle, Provocative Woman sounds interesting, I want to smell it! Was Waterford like the crystal brand? And they made scents? I'd love to smell those too. But especially the Yardley. Those are hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    The other one which I LOVED and still do but it's discontinued - is the original Escada before they started all the flanker nonsense.

**I loved and owned Ysatis too, Duckie !
    Oh the Escada is indeed WONDERFUL Mysticknot!! It is in PERFECT balance with the exotic notes of Cocos and Frangipani, without being the typical summery fragrance! NO this is SO much in balance with all the classical notes, that it is a category on its own! Not to mentoin the FANTASTIC sillage!!
    Buy this one!

Blog Entries

I have only one recommendation, but like Ubu I'm taking notes! I'll add Roberto Cavalli Oro to the list. I really need to get my thoughts together about this one and add a review to the Directory. I find it to be a smooth oriental; sexy and exotic but not overtly so. The notes I found on the RC website are iris, magnolia, cinnamon, apricot, blond honey, indian sandalwood, and amber. It's rich not too sweet, and the smoothness is a little creamy (likely from the magnolia), but *not* due to vanilla, which is a note that often doesn't work for me.

Of the ones mentioned so far, Gabriella Sabatini has been on my test list for ages! I've also been wanting to try Bill Blass Nude and Givenchy Greenergy. These are scents that I rarely see mentioned, but when they are it's usually with great admiration.

Great thread Hillaire!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I have only one recommendation, but like Ubu I'm taking notes! I'll add Roberto Cavalli Oro to the list. I really need to get my thoughts together about this one and add a review to the Directory. I find it to be a smooth oriental; sexy and exotic but not overtly so. The notes I found on the RC website are iris, magnolia, cinnamon, apricot, blond honey, indian sandalwood, and amber. It's rich not too sweet, and the smoothness is a little creamy (likely from the magnolia), but *not* due to vanilla, which is a note that often doesn't work for me.
    Well, I'm sold - you make this sound luscious! I don't like a strong vanilla note either, but I adore a creamy oriental, especially if it comes with magnolia. Sandalwood, honey and amber are also notes I tend to like. Thanks for posting this one!

Yeah, Hillaire - great thread!

eta: Is the original Escada still available anywhere, or is it now just an eBay find? That's another one I'm itching to sniff due to the recs here.

eta2: I just noticed that there is also iris in Oro and that did it! I rarely make a blind purchase, but a mini is really no risk at all, especially when the bottle's so funky and cool! Thanks again, aogirl!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 13th April 2010 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Lilybelle, Provocative Woman sounds interesting, I want to smell it! Was Waterford like the crystal brand? And they made scents? I'd love to smell those too. But especially the Yardley. Those are hard to find!
    I'll be happy to send you some of these to try if you'd like, Hillaire. Yes, Waterford the crystal brand. It was named Lismore after one of their popular crystal patterns. The bottle is cut glass that converts into a bud vase when the perfume is used up. It was a nice idea, I thought, but it bombed. Not sexy enough probably.

Another unsung treasure I just remembered is Ferre 20. It was one of the first discoveries I made on my fragrant journey, and I still like it but I rarely, if ever, see it mentioned. It's been d/c, as far as I know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    eta2: I just noticed that there is also iris in Oro and that did it! I rarely make a blind purchase, but a mini is really no risk at all, especially when the bottle's so funky and cool! Thanks again, aogirl!
    You're very welcome! I'd be happy to send you some if you'd like to try it first. Although the bottle is cool looking, it's so tall and slender that I worry about it tipping. I keep everything in their boxes anyway, but if I were inclined to display my favorites, I'd reconsider letting that one sit out.

I forget why, but I recently became interested in Fred Hayman Touch. I think someone must have mentioned it here. Does anyone have experience with it and would you call it an "unsung treasure?"
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    You're very welcome! I'd be happy to send you some if you'd like to try it first. Although the bottle is cool looking, it's so tall and slender that I worry about it tipping. I keep everything in their boxes anyway, but if I were inclined to display my favorites, I'd reconsider letting that one sit out.

I forget why, but I recently became interested in Fred Hayman Touch. I think someone must have mentioned it here. Does anyone have experience with it and would you call it an "unsung treasure?"
    Nice! Thanks so much for the offer, but I actually saw it and bought it (and for less than $9, so why not?)

Hillaire mentioned Touch in the Italian Holiday thread - I noticed her wonderful description, too. (She also made Sicily sound incredible so that one's also on my radar now! Hillaire is such a bad influence!)
    Last edited by Evangeline; 13th April 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post

Hillaire mentioned Touch in the Italian Holiday thread - I noticed her wonderful description, too. (She also made Sicily sound incredible so that one's also on my radar now! Hillaire is such a bad influence!)
    Everyone on this thread is a bad influence, I am torking with my paypal now and hunting down Oro!

I think yes Touch is a great unsung treasure. It's a bit of a latecomer to the big loudies, considering it arrived in the mid-nineties...it has such a syrupy, indolic tuberose note, ala Gigli, but it also combines interesting fresh-linen-y, aldehydic top bit and dries down skin-salty-sweaty -- almost coconutty. I am in love with it, actually, but it's not for the meek. The good news is it's like 10 USD a pop these days.

As for Escada, I do not know how one might detect the pre-washed-out version, as the packaging stayed the same. (Color, perhaps?) That was why I mentioned Essence de Eau, too, as it can still be found, and it's a fabulous alternate.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 13th April 2010 at 11:46 PM.

Are there two versions of Touch, male and female? I had what I thought was the male version and it smelled exactly like Neutrogena's Rainbath shower gel. I love it as a shower gel.

Hillaire

The men's Touch is very soapy and "clean". The women's version has a "touch" of that aspect, too -- the Rainbath. But it's more intensely floral, for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Are there two versions of Touch, male and female? I had what I thought was the male version and it smelled exactly like Neutrogena's Rainbath shower gel. I love it as a shower gel.
    That's it! I love Neutrogena Rainbath! I, well, I literally bathe in the stuff, don't I? I couldn't remember why it was on my test list (not my BN list, but another on my computer), and had assumed I wanted the feminine version.

And, hmm, Rainbath with tuberose? Sounds like I need to just try both!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Does this one qualify, Terracotta Voile D'Ete? I really love it and rarely see much written about it. I think Guerlain finally axed it.

Does this one qualify, Terracotta Voile D'Ete? I really love it and rarely see much written about it. I think Guerlain finally axed it.
    yes, it was discontinued by Guerlain.
    I like it too. .
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Hillaire

That's such a unique warm scent, Terracotta! Wonderful one. I have seen it for really low prices, too.

Another no one ever mentions is Fath de Fath, a classic Oriental that I find very beautiful and sophisticated.

Also Eau de Campagne, the bitter green chypre from Ellena. A more evolved, more timeless, less citric Cristalle. Stunning. And it has not been reformulated.

Oh, surely there are more unsung treasures to be rediscovered and championed! hello? .......

Hillaire

Well, ookayy...

I'd like to mention the totally overlooked Acqua di Biella line. My personal favorite from this line is called Kid Mohair. It's a warm, flannely, creamed floral with a musky base. It's kind of impeccable actually. I fantasize about having some soon. Another really luxe offering is Cashmere Twill, almost a 'masculine' counterpart to KM -- though totally unisex: it's another wool scent, but instead of smelling like scratchy grey wool (GIT), it really does recall a warm cashmere sweater on a scrubby, groomed man. I LOVE it. Moreover the whole line is gorgeous. And the BOTTLES are GLORIOUS!

Attachment 5232Not really a hidden treasure, but one of my favorites is the impossibly retro, Norell. I have the parfum extrait. Love the dry, galbanum top over the slightly soapy, amber base. The bottle/packaging is as perfect in its simplicity as that of No. 5 and Joy.
    I always liked Norell also, been wondering if the ones on ebay are real, but I think I have seen it sold somewhere.

Kid Mohair??? One of my favorite fibers to knit, Hillaire! Must check out.

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Kid Mohair??? One of my favorite fibers to knit, Hillaire! Must check out.
    And Hillaire's pic had AH in the background!

(I have to add Jacomo Anthracite, (which Hillaire mentioned, by the way) ... I've been reveling in its vintage awesomeness all day.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 18th April 2010 at 05:24 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Hillaire

Okay I am adding another I just discovered due to a VERY generous, lovely basenoter. I did not even know this floral chypre existed, and it is PERFECTION. I haven't been this excited about a new thing since I discovered Amouage Jubilation, I kid you not. And I NEVER see it mentioned here; in fact it only has three reviews. It's so complex, so enticing, so plush, and very elegant. SIGH!

Sabi
    by Henry Dunay

Oh yes, Hillaire. Sabi was introduced to me by a smart sales associate one day, when I told her that I was looking for a great green floral. Isn't it special? Sigh...

I also agree that a couple of others mentioned, Terracotta Voile d'Ete and Eau de Campagne, may not get the attention they deserve. They are two of my favorites!

I will bring up another of my favorites, Embruns d'Ambre by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan. Its listed notes are ocean notes, sand, lemon, wood, and amber, and I find it to be a wonderful juxtaposition of cool and warm elements.

Wow. (wishing I had some... but it seems RARE)

WHICH seems rare is unclear to me... (sighs) wish I recalled which scent in particular I deemed rare!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 18th April 2010 at 05:27 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Oh, yes, Sabi! I was just about to post about it when I saw Hillaire's post. I was turned onto it by either Haunani or Quarry, I honestly forget which darling lady, but what a scent. What a scent. It has recently been elevated to the top of my wish list, so Hillaire's mentioning it is especially noteworthy to me.
    Last edited by Leesee; 18th April 2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: typos

Hillaire

Oh, Leesee and Haunani, I am so glad you concur. Sabi has more than risen to the top of my list -- in just one evening -- I am feeling that this is "the one" as the night wears on; it's developed into something that is so sumptuous, luxuriant, and unmistakable, it just might displace Dia as my best scent.. My HG? Perhaps! Of course it costs as much as an Amouage! Now I just need to figure out what to SELL....

I hope you're happy now!!!

I read this thread and bought Silences spontaneously on ebay, just because...

;)

Hope, it's really that good. Got quite a deal, though.

Gosh, I received Silences today. It's a true gem and it only cost me 8€. Incredible. Thank you thread, thank you all.

Amouage Gold Gentlemen's Gologne. This is long discontinued, and almost competely forgotten about. Can you imagine an Amougage take on a traditional Eau de Cologne? This is it