Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Unsung Treasures

I have always said Jacomo with the second syllable accented, just like you used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Tonight, I'd like to sing the praises of a totally overlooked dark, dry chypre. Falling somewhere on the spectrum between Soir de Lune and Eau du Soir is:

La Perla La Perla
    Aha - it finally gets some attention! I've been singing the praises of La Perla for ages! It was actually my sotd last Wednesday when I did a week of rosey chypres. I can see the connection to the Sisleys, but La Perla also reminds me a bit of Rose Cardin and Donna Trussardi - another mutual favorite. I just seem to adore this whole category and everything in it!

La Perla's vibrant younger sister, Parfum Prive should also get a lot more attention. It's a gorgeous, radiant, chypre-y green floral that recalls 1000 de Patou (due to the osmanthus, I think) and also a bit of Donna Trussardi (I've actually had the idea that Donna Trussardi is the love-child of La Perla and Parfum Prive!) But Parfum Prive seems more cheerful and lighthearted, somehow...it's very beautiful, but maybe a bit less elegant than some of the others, and more casual. It's readily available and extremely inexpensive - I bought a few bottles from an eBay vendor for $15 each!

Those are the only two from LaPerla that I know, but I've been very curious about Blue and Io, and now I have especially high hopes for them!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 22nd June 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: so many typos...

Don't let the fact that it's from an underwear company throw you off, I think it's a total must have for lovers of the dark chypre. Especially if you are already a fan of Sisley scents, L'Arte, Knowing, Diva... and the lot.
    Yes, yes, and yes! I just wanted to add my agreement to this assesment of La Perla, too. I love all of these rich and opulent beauties, and La Perla is really one of the best.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    An inglorious offering to this lofty thread: vintage Ambush by Dana. I wore this as a teenager and still love it; it can be found for not too much money on eBay.

I told my husband that when he wears Canoe, I'll wear Ambush and we can be scent twins.

Who knows why, but when they reformulated, they made no attempt to make the new one anything like the old scent. The notes are completely different now. They might as well have given it a new name.
    I bought a vintage Ambush from ebay about five years ago as it was my favorite scent wehn I was like TINY. To me there is something VERRRY like Bandit in it. Anyway, it was the really old, PINK melamine bottle, and it was pretty good. Not like the freshest, but So nostalgic!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by bookshop88 View Post
    Well, Hillaire, you being an addict to the "Y" by YSL, try "Io" by La Perla....it is a sister to your signature!!!
    Love,
    B.
    Oh, boy!! I cannot wait!!

Hillaire

I have contemplated not adding this perfect chypre for some time. Because I wanted to personally acquire all bottles of this discontinued beauty for myself.

But it's time... IMO, the finest scent I have praised on this thread (save Sabi). A perfect leather chypre and a true Italian classic.

Luciano Soprani by Luciano Soprani

The original women's fragrance from the amazing house of Soprani. This one reminds me of the fist version of Cabochard, but has the sexiness, perfumey-ness and headiness of Diva. Unlike Diva, though, it is very dry and unsweetened.

I cannot describe this any better. It's pretty easy to find on Amazon and ebay -- and I have enough now -- so, if you love old leather chypres of the classic, stately variety, like the original Cabochard (if you only know the new Cabochard, don't use this a gauge!) and Parure, you would be well-advised to invest in this one!

This one would great on a man, too!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 23rd June 2010 at 07:29 AM.

Hillaire

Ladies and Gentlemen....

I am seriously so impressed with house of Soprani, I am dizzy with delight. It's like discovering a secret, inexpensive old-school YSL or Dior. Such quality and character to these scents!!

So, this one Strass, I bought blind, convinced that it would at least be good. And knowing it was a leather chypre, and how well they have made that work in the past (see above)...

But it arrived today, and I was absolutely floored!

It's a heady, character-driven perfume-lovers perfume, along the lines of L'Arte di Gucci:
    Dark, mysterious, rosy, sylphine, and glossy.
    But this one has a rich, modern-esque sweetness to it as well. One of those chypres that borders the Oriental. I think of Natori (Yes, that's a fairly decent comparison).

I personally love that perfumey 'sharpness' some mistakenly refer to as "hairspray" ("hairspray" is a different accord to my way of thinking; think Norell.), and this one has that in spades.

I would think If you like Diva, Natori, or the new beauty form La Prairie Life Threads Gold, a you will LOVE Strass by Luciano Soprani.

Loads of these available on ebay, and ever-so-affordable. A perfect, vintage-inspired, yet-wholly-modern vamp scent!

And I love the bottle and box!

Last edited by Hillaire; 26th June 2010 at 04:41 AM.

Hillaire

Please note, I cannot undo the bigness above and did not want to re-write. Apologies for the DRAMA~

Basenotes Plus

A Travers le Miroir by Thierry Mugler is most definitely an unsung treasures. It's a wonderfully bitter and herbaceous Tuberose. It works as a great masculine too.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I'm glad you're talking about Luciano Soprani. Strass is the only Soprani I know besides Soprani 2, which I found disagreeable at the time. I sort of wrote Soprani off without trying anything else, but I gave Strass a go when it came out and it gave me new hope for the house, but I still haven't tried anything else since then. And now I want to see if I can find the other one you recommend...that's the original Luciano Soprani from 1987, right?

Are you familiar with any of the others? I noticed that D Luciano Soprani was created by Pierre Bourdon, so that got my attention. DSoir also looks interesting.

eta - I just saw a brand new one from 2010 - Solo Soprani Rose. Sounds nice!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 27th June 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Hillaire

Thank you Candy Perfume Boy, (Libertine, is that you?), for your recommendation!!

Evangeline, it's the one from 87, yeah. And these are the only three I know yet, I am learning the house. The DSoir looks gorgeous. I hear this house is the big S&%$ in Italy but rarely gets exported.
    I have heard Flirtissimo is great and the Solo Rosa one, too.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Candy Perfume Boy, (Libertine, is that you?), for your recommendation!!

Evangeline, it's the one from 87, yeah. And these are the only three I know yet, I am learning the house. The DSoir looks gorgeous. I hear this house is the big S&%$ in Italy but rarely gets exported.
    I have heard Flirtissimo is great and the Solo Rosa one, too.
    Yes, Tis I!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Plus

Thread bump to report on more juice I've acquired due to this thread ......Miss Arpels is absolutely lovely...see Hillaire's spot -on description.

I've got Lilith by Callaghan and Parfum Prive by La Perla on order now.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I've ordered blind the D by Soprani... by Pierre Bourdon and a Soprani, how could I not like it? (I'll report back when I get it...)

EDIT: How could I not like it? WELL, I'LL TELL YA HOW!
    Sadly, just a pleasant, but diluted, pale, ordinary fruity floral.... :-(
    Last edited by C Rose; 17th July 2010 at 09:27 PM.

I would like to nominate Hillaire as Basenotes' Number One Perfume Pusher!
    (and of course I mean that in a good way.)

LOLS... It is so dangerous reading your posts about perfumes, I want every one you rave about!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Plus

The Parfum Prive by La Perla EDP (Originally mentioned by Evangeline) arrived today- It's opulent, sweet, happy, and rich! Hmmm...... all attributes i am not, well maybe the happy And it was only $15 on Evil Bay- such a bargain for such quality!
    Last edited by knit at nite; 3rd July 2010 at 11:43 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer

My Jacomo love affair continues. My bottle of Parfum Rare arrived today. Swoon! So gorgeous!

(For the record, I've always pronounced it with the accent on the first syllable, but who knows?)

I keep hoping the Jacomo Art Collection series will make it to the U.S. but no luck so far, not even on Evil Bay.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I would like to nominate Hillaire as Basenotes' Number One Perfume Pusher!
    (and of course I mean that in a good way.)

LOLS... It is so dangerous reading your posts about perfumes, I want every one you rave about!
    Thank you, thank you very much!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    I've ordered blind the D by Soprani... by Pierre Bourdon and a Soprani, how could I not like it? (I'll report back when I get it...)
    I really cannot wait for a report on this one! The notes look really nice. The DSoir is enticing, too.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Thread bump to report on more juice I've acquired due to this thread ......Miss Arpels is absolutely lovely...see Hillaire's spot -on description.

I've got Lilith by Callaghan and Parfum Prive by La Perla on order now.
    I am so glad you like it. It's such a just-right achievement to have slipped away from us like that.

I am also getting some Parfum Prive soon; and I am excited.

Hillaire

Just curious, as anyone tried Bertrand Duchafor's 'Leonara' for Leonard?

Speaking of Duchafor. ..

If you want a great deal, look on evilbay for Flora Bella. It's one of my favorite 'youth' perfumes. A sweet floriental. With a creaminess. I like this one more than Love In Paris, actually. The famed metallic edge is not in the league of say No.19, but it does make it interesting.

And it's like 15USD??

from beautysupplies

Can't believe I haven't found this thread sooner! Great initiative, Hillarie!

I'm also a fan of Ysatis, which I wore religiously in my twenties.

My favourite rose along with Agent Provocateur is the discontinued Baroque from Fragonard. I got a bottle last summer, and when I visited their website this year it was gone. It's a luscious red rose teamed with ginger, very sexy indeed.

I also think Galimard fragrances aren't discussed that often. My fave is Gelsomino which is a fantastic tuberose/vanilla with fresh citrus top notes.

I don't know if it is mentioned before but today i wear Shafali fleur rare by Yves Rocher(discontinued):

Fragrance Notes:
    top notes
    Citruses/Floral Notes
    middle notes
    White Flowers/jasmine
    base notes
    Vanille/Resin
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    I don't know if it is mentioned before but today i wear Shafali fleur rare by Yves Rocher(discontinued):

Fragrance Notes:
    top notes
    Citruses/Floral Notes
    middle notes
    White Flowers/jasmine
    base notes
    Vanille/Resin
    Quite nice !I have a mini of it .

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post

Fragrance Notes:
    top notes
    Citruses/Floral Notes
    middle notes
    White Flowers/jasmine
    base notes
    Vanille/Resin
    That's a great addition! I do not know how easy it is to come by .

But, I'd like to add that it's a dead-ringer (but better) of Mandarine Mandarin from Lutens.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 12th July 2010 at 06:50 PM.

Well, i was lucky enough to have two bottles of Shafali fleur rare ...now, i have left only one ..
    LOVE IS BEST
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Do you like juicy, thick and slightly gourmand rose scents like Noir de Noir? If so, have you tried J. del Pozo's In Black? Ridiculously cheap on line, $15 for 1oz at Scentmonkey.com - beautiful black globe bottle, too.

Basenotes Plus

Agree! IN BLACK is a dynamite sleeper scent. IN WHITE is also a good deal.
    A Scent Rescuer

In White by Del Pozo is very close smell to Dior Pure Poison
    Last edited by sophi; 12th July 2010 at 10:28 PM.
    LOVE IS BEST
    -- Martin Buber

Haven't tried any Pozos, but looking at the line on eBay, I'm loving the bottles!

I agree with the recommendations for Del Pozo's In Black and In White - very good and a bit unusual, long-lasting and very well-priced. In Black reminds me a bit of Black Orchid ...maybe with a bit of Poison (?) thrown in. It's dark and sexy with juicy cherries and licorice over sultry florals, musk, cedar and patchouli. And I agree with sophi, In White is very similar to Pure Poison, but I actually prefer In White - it seems rounder and a lot less shrill to me. I've never really gotten along with Pure Poison so I was pleased to find In White to be a more refined and wearable version of it.

Halloween is interesting...reminiscent of Alien, maybe, but with violet instead of jasmine. I need to dig out my mini and give it a sniff to remember exactly, but I don't think the name really fits the fragrance which isn't dark or spooky or even very incensey (although incense is listed in the notes) at all. It's a sweet and creamy floral oriental, maybe with a touch of an aquatic something or other going on. On Ella is the other one I've tried and like, but would need to resniff to really recommend it. I can say that it's a nice green floral with a hook....I think it was the freesia that was the stand-out note. And now I'm wondering if it's Gucci's Envy that it reminds me of...!?

They're certainly affordable, but I wouldn't really recommend buying Del Pozos blind - they can be sort of weird and somewhat polarizing...then again, if you come across them in a bargain bin I'd say go ahead and grab one. No matter which you find, it probably won't set you back more than $20. And the bottles are pretty cool.

Does anyone know Duende or Ambar? Duende is from 1992 and was created by Olivier Cresp, so that's pretty interesting! Ambar is new and I like the bottle and the notes - cardamom, bergamote, tangerine, iris, tea, peony, virginia cedar, sage and amber. Here's the bottle -

I recently stumbled upon a couple of old minis of Montana's first fragrance, Parfum de Peau. I used to think it was amazing, so I bought one mini each of edt and edp. It's even better than I remembered it!

Bold, tangy, fruity, spicy, leathery, animalic, delicious. I'm stocking up on vintage bottles of edt, edp and parfum...

I like Parfum de Peau too, tott - I'm glad to hear it's still good! It reminds me a bit of Diva and L'Arte di Gucci with more leather and less rose. Another Montana worth mentioning is Parfum d'Elle, a luscious fruity-floral chypre from 1990.

eta - For anyone interested, Parfum de Peau was created by Jean Guichard, the nose behind a few of my personal favorites, namely Donna Trussardi (already mentioned on this thread) and Cartier's So Pretty, as well as Cacharel's LouLou and Eden and CK's Obsession.

eta2 - I just noticed Twolf's recommendation earlier in this thread for yet another Montana, Suggestion Eau Cuivree. It seems the house of Montana might be needing further research!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 16th July 2010 at 08:50 PM.

Nice to hear there are more fans of this little gem! And I must say that I am curious about both Diva and l'Arte di Gucci...

There is a store here that stocks the new PdP, so I will swing by and test it to see if it's worth investing in, or if it has been destroyed by reformulations...
    Last edited by tott; 16th July 2010 at 09:10 PM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I like Parfum de Peau too, tott - I'm glad to hear it's still good! It reminds me a bit of Diva and L'Arte di Gucci with more leather and less rose. Another Montana worth mentioning is Parfum d'Elle, a luscious fruity-floral chypre from 1990.

eta - For anyone interested, Parfum de Peau was created by Jean Guichard, the nose behind a few of my personal favorites, namely Donna Trussardi (already mentioned on this thread) and Cartier's So Pretty, as well as Cacharel's LouLou and Eden and CK's Obsession.

eta2 - I just noticed Twolf's recommendation earlier in this thread for yet another Montana, Suggestion Eau Cuivree. It seems the house of Montana might be needing further research!
    OOh, I have to interject. I have a bottle of vintage Parfum de Peau pure parfum, and it's up there in my top three of leather chypres, absolutely DIVINE: Deep, Rosey, Smokey, like old Cabochard with SKANK!

BUUUTTT..this sucker is still in production, and the latest is REALLY BAD (to me), a thin, ginger-dominant mess, with an overdose of aldehydes. Unrecognizable.

Do be cautious, shopping for this beauty.

Sooo... Today I tested what I believe is the most current PdP; the typical (Montana) blue box with the bottle depicted.

It is recognizable as PdP, but it's not as complex and thinner. It feels like it has less sillage and rapidly turns into a skin scent.
    Last edited by tott; 17th July 2010 at 08:37 PM.

We are still on the road and I am logged in from the Motel, but there is one scent that I have never known was so good (on a female!) and that I spotted in Miss Tao's collection -- Zirh Ikon in an impressive black bottle -- and Miss Tao said she paid like $13 at TJMaxx.

eta: spelling
    Last edited by Twolf; 22nd July 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Last edited by pluran; 28th July 2011 at 12:35 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Unsung Treasures

Jean Nate: As luscious as Aqua di Palma at a fraction of the cost; JN lasts much longer , too,

Two recent discoveries: En Avion by Caron; wonderful carnation, spice, cedar and civet. Great in cold weather; kin the Jicky. Also, Or et Noir...also by Caron. A creamy, softly sensual rose with spice. Some say this is a dark rose; I think it's more like a rich and mellow Merlot laced with absinthe. Both have good sillage and longevity.
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaLovesScent View Post

I keep hoping the Jacomo Art Collection series will make it to the U.S. but no luck so far, not even on Evil Bay.
    It's actually available at Henri Bendel in NYC. They haven't joined the rest of us in the 21st century as far as e-commerce goes, but they accept phone orders, so you can give them a call (Giuseppe the manager of the perfume department is absolutely wonderful).

Anne Klein & Anne Klein II

Hillaire

I'm back!

I simply have to sing the praises of this five-star, very-affordable scent from Fragonard!

gorgeous bottle

Caresse is a flawless,complex, elegant, bright little peachy-floral chypre. Falling somewhere between Henry Dunay's Sabi and MDCI Promesse de L'Aube. It's gentle but in no way a mere skin scent.
    What I adore most about it is that it does not put on airs or "try" to do anything out of the range of predictable classicism. Yet it still manages to feel both new and "modern".
    And what I am most excited about is that I have discovered a scent of this obvious quality that costs a mere 70USD. It's incredible.

I really cannot recommend this scent to lovers of the peachy chypre genre enough!

http://www.fragonard.com/parfums_gra...esse-c-168.htm

nice bottle, too, Hillaire.

Basenotes Plus

This thread seems kind to my wallet but I'm afraid it's bad for my addiction...

Molto Missoni by Missoni

Youth Dew by Estee Lauder

Farouche by Nina Ricci

I have some Unsung Treasures that I have to share!!

For lovers of Diorissimo (one of my favorite Dior's)
    Nina Ricci Fleur de Fleurs (AMAZING!!!!)

For lovers of THICK HEAVY WHITE flower perfumes:
    Caesar Women original (and what a GREAT price!!!)
    Nazareno Gabrielli original (WAUWWAUWWAUW)

For lovers of 'purple & spicy' perfumes:
    Dali Purplelips Sensual (really fantastic!).

For the Classic originals:
    Pierre Cardin original (sooo fantastic!)
    Revillon Detchema

For subtle vintage perfumes:
    Yves Rocher vintage Chevrefeuille ( Citrus & Honeysuckle)
    Yves Rocher Milrose (splendid subtle rose aldehydes, old school).

This thread is a goldmine, makes my heart beat faster - literally!! I'm taking notes and trawling the internet at the same time, and all of a sudden I feel like buying stuff that I never heard about, just because it might be... it could be... a forgotten gem. OH the excitement!!

I don't know if they were already mentioned:
    Jardins de Bagatelle, everybody is raving about Guerlain, but noone ever mentions this one, and it's so PRETTY? It's young, sweet and ever so floral, but there is like a fresh breeze blowing all the way through it, that makes you (well me!) feel soothed.

Spellbound, used to own, never could forget its rich creamyness. Must. Buy. Again.

Nocturnes de Caron, another used to own - must buy again. Smells like you (well I) would want to smell when you're meeting someone for a late dinner. In Paris. In November.

Thought I would bump this thread by mentioning 8e jour by Yves Rocher a discontinued and not in the directory spicy oriental with some vetiver .It smells similar to YSL Nu edp but without the big orchid topnote.

bookwyrmsmith - Holy cats! Not only do I love 8e Jour, it's my sotd, which is a pretty unlikely coincidence! Your take on it is interesting - I don't get any vetiver, it's just soft florals with warm and vibrant cinnamon, honey and myrrh to me - no green. I've never smelled anything like it, not even remotely. However, I might have to revisit Nu (you're talking about the edt, right?) as I suppose the iris and jasmine combo plus some vanilla and myrrh might seem similar.

Btw, it is known and loved around here but only by a seemingly very small minority - it's mentioned on the first page of this thread!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

No I meant the edp Nu that's what I have (blackish-blue hockey puck shaped bottle in a dark plastic box not the silver and bright blue edt) .
    Hmm maybe my 8e jour has turned (at least partially)?or maybe my skin brings that note out.

Hillaire

Boy I sure don't get any similarity between 8e Jour and Nu edp, but they are both amazing!
    And great additions to this thread.

Oh, You have mentioned so many of my faves! I used to wear Moschino original but it was too fougere and manly to my liking. I agree a guy could wear it with ease. Here are some of mine:

Trussardi Donna
    (1984 white snake skin like bottle) - great animalic chameleon - dry and green when it's hot, rosy and sultry in cool weather. I smell quality ingredients, not the sinthetic new ones and think it has not changed. Hard to find, but still in production.

Donna Trussardi (1994 in clear bottle) - fresh, but sultry chypre.

Montana Parfum de peau (original) - the greatest animalic ever made. smoky, powdery, soapy, greenish chypre. Even the reformulated version still makes my heart skip a beat. Very true to the original, but less fierse

Rumba - My all time favourite. Similar to Montana, but a tad sweeter and has more fruits and insense.

Diva was a great animalic too, but the new version leaves me cold, Sweeter and milder, sillage is a bit like Knowing

Gucci III - a green, fruity, rosy, powdery leathery chypre. My daytime fave. Impossible to find.

Miss Balmain - classy rosy insensey chypre. Preder it to Jolie Madame

Narcisse Chloe - best floriental ever. Even my mum grew to love it and it's among her faves now. I get so many compliments when I wear it.

Sublime by Jean Patou - fresh insense. Love it.

Rive gauche
    - cold metallic aldehide, my HG in hot weather. Like a cold shower.

Farouche - best aldehide ever

Calandre
    - green and cold aldehide composed by Michael Ho who composed Rive gauche and Farouche as well

Fleur de fleur
    - a nice flowery aldehide by Nina Ricci
    Replique by Raphael - not a chypre, but nice green dry fragrance. Also like the original by Irma Shorell.

Stephanie by Bourjois - little known chypre composed by Polge. Some of the best ever made

Evasion, Flamme, Premier muguet by Bourjois. Evasion is a tarty jasmin composition with lots of moss and lilly of the valley. Premier muguet is dry, bitter and mossy lilly of the valley, Flamme - an old school chypre

K by Krizia - a nice crisp floral. I wear it today mixed with Grey flannel

Creation
    by Lapidus - a wet chypre with monster sillage. Does not suit me though

I bought unsniffed Capucci by Capucci and it is awfull. Stinks of carnation and has nothing, absolutelu nothing in common with the original. No point buyng this one.

I have a question. Has any of You recently bought Cachet by Prince Matchabelli? I remember the original as a dry, bitter, green chypre, similar to Alliage by EL. How is the new version.

I'm interested in revisiting Norell, but am not sure it is the crisp old version. How do they differ?

Orazuli by Dupont - won in a contest here at Basenotes, bought another bottle at TJ Maxx. Actually wearing it today, soft creamy vanilla with a distant citrus by this time of the day.

Adrienne Vittadini by Adrienne Vittadini - beautiful light oriental for the summer. Getting hard to find now.

Pivoine by Yves Rocher - used to wear this a lot in the summer.

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld - beautiful, sleeper oriental.

Basenotes Plus

I came across and bought a slightly used 100 ml EDT bottle of Van Cleef and Arpels Gem in the original formulation, as pictured in this thread. It is really fine and classic perfumery.
    A Scent Rescuer

Hillaire

Oh knit at nite! I am so pleased you like that one. It's my favorite of that house!

Oh what a horrible, fascinating and dangerous thread!!!!

How about Aperçu by Houbigant.
    It's a lovely Chypre, very not flowery. I got a tester on E-bay!
    Also the first perfume I brought blind.
    The first perfume I brought because of the reviews on Basenotes,
    And the First perfume which brough about a bout of Hillairitis.
    Which affliction is now greatly enhanced by this threat and now I have to get some La Perle, Miss Arpels, Fath de Fath, Capucci de Capucci and Bogner Woman....

I will be good and post .Though a part of me says NNNOOO!!!!! not till you back-up the bottles !!!
    Shush selfish side .
    Golden Autumn by Prince Machabelli -a soapy woodsy
    and
    Golden Woods by Max Factor-spicy ambery probably a cousin or sib to Cinnabar ,Obsession,or Toujours Moi
    Both are delicious

My unsung treasures include:-

Fragonard's Fleur D'Oranger - my all-time favourite summer scent. Nonchalant, carefree,
    uplifting and totally beautiful.

Empreinte by Courreges - this one is a real beauty with notes of peach, artemesia,
    florals, melon, leather, woods and castoreum. It is a little "Femme"-like, dare I say.

Casaque by Jean d'Albret - now sadly discontinued, but available in a re-creation by
    Irma Shorell. A lush floral with real depth.

Lullaby by Jeffrey Dame for Perfume Of Life. This is a poignant, caressing little scent with
    that touching heliotrope note that makes it feel tinged with sadness.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    bookwyrmsmith - Holy cats! Not only do I love 8e Jour, it's my sotd, which is a pretty unlikely coincidence! Your take on it is interesting - I don't get any vetiver, it's just soft florals with warm and vibrant cinnamon, honey and myrrh to me - no green. I've never smelled anything like it, not even remotely. However, I might have to revisit Nu (you're talking about the edt, right?) as I suppose the iris and jasmine combo plus some vanilla and myrrh might seem similar.

Btw, it is known and loved around here but only by a seemingly very small minority - it's mentioned on the first page of this thread!
    Ohhh Evangeline, I DO love 8e jour sooooo much!!! It is my gourmand interpretation of Opium. Where Opium can be a tad too spicy at times, 8e jour has polished all the edges away and made it a WONDERFUL passionate perfume.

I am one of the biggest fans of Yves Rocher vintages. Ispahan as my oriental interpretation of the vintage Miss Dior, Cantate as the gourmand ahead of it's time, Venice as the sensual version of Galbanum, Shafali as the exceptional interpretation of the white flower and honey. I am totally crazy about my jewel Orchidee and her sister Nuit D'Orchidee, I adore the dewy green Nature, the utterly FANTASTIC vintage En Avril Un Soir, the sillage monster Rose Ispahan, the sophisticated vintage Chevrefeuille, the lovely lovely new range Secret Essences, and the stunning woody gourmand Nature Millenaire, the allrounder Nebline, where to begin and where to stop??
    Yves Rocher - masterpiece supplier of all times!

Hillaire

Bookwyrm,I am officially excited about the Prince Matchabelli!

And Kewart, thank you for those lovely recommendations. I am doing searches now! I am so glad you mentioned Empriente! I love it, and it's the ultimate soapy leather!