Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Unsung Treasures

Is vintage Chantilly by Houbigant unsong?
    I have a big splash bottle and I like it more and more, flowery, spicy, and sexy...

Post Thanks / Like

I adore the original Zen Shiseido. It is such an elegant dark smoky rosey-woody chypre. Extraordinary!

Now, Murasaki Shiseido is the opposite of Zen. A transparent and tender green floral on a light but sensual vetiver and musk base.

Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin. Wow, I just got this wonderful Christine Nagel creation yesterday. A warm, juicy oriental, very similar to Hermes Ambre Narguilé, but at a fraction of the cost. I'm not crazy about the bottle, the less plastic involved is always better in my book, but its 60s retro modern look is kind of amusing.
    I'm having longevity issues, but this may just be my nose adjusting to it. Anyone else have any love for this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not discontinued or even vintage, but a fragrance that gets little discussion is Amber Gris by Balmain. I liked this fragrance at first sniff and have it as a permanent part of my wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Kev, I do! My discovery of 2007. I know Marlen (PerfumeCritic) also does.

In this link below, I am #18.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/201...gt-gt-gt-Spicy

Post Thanks / Like

I love Krizia's Krazy for a mega-patch day - delicious and very strong.

reine

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness, Twolf - what a fabulous post! Histoire d'Eau came to my attention recently when I was searching for spicy and ambery perfumes, but you've sold me on it! I'm not sure I've ever seen it in stores, but I'll know to look for it now. Thanks, and thanks to you too Kevin, for bringing it to our attention again.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Is vintage Chantilly by Houbigant unsong?
    I have a big splash bottle and I like it more and more, flowery, spicy, and sexy...
    And that little hint of evergreen, lovely and indeed "unsung".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone88 View Post
    I adore the original Zen Shiseido. It is such an elegant dark smoky rosey-woody chypre. Extraordinary!

Now, Murasaki Shiseido is the opposite of Zen. A transparent and tender green floral on a light but sensual vetiver and musk base.
    Hi Persephone, I love the Zen too! And, it looks like you've got the parfum version of the Murasaki... I'd love to smell that, the current edp version is so light it's just about not there at all! (And I love those two bottles you're showing! Soooo pretty....)

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Oh my goodness, Twolf - what a fabulous post! Histoire d'Eau came to my attention recently when I was searching for spicy and ambery perfumes, but you've sold me on it! I'm not sure I've ever seen it in stores, but I'll know to look for it now. Thanks, and thanks to you too Kevin, for bringing it to our attention again.
    Nice post Twolf, thanks for the link. Evangeline, www.1stperfume.com has it for $8.99 - money well spent!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th October 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    And that little hint of evergreen, lovely and indeed "unsung".
    And I have just scored a big box of body powder on Ebay.... Delicious!
    I had no idea it would be this good!

• Parce Que! by Roberto Capucci
    • Anne Klein I
    • Maxims de Paris

I have some "secret" scents too, things I enjoy for a variety of reasons.

Priscilla Presley's Roses and More...which I wear when I need a scent I can spray recklessly and need a rose (can't be reckless with Sa Majeste, at least I can't)

Balenciaga's Cialenga: a spicy chypre of a sort

Jacomo's Silences: a very green mossy floral, don't know why anybody would name this "silences"

Weil de Weil: Always loved Weil and this greeny in a summer fave, but far less known than Zibeline or Antilope

and while I'm on a green tangent, AL Moss, is rarely among the Serena scents I read about here, but never ever fails to attract loads of admiration from women, never men.

Oh, and Senso by Ungaro, I'm the only one I know who likes it.
    Definitely agree with Antilope. Also another oldie but goodie is Detchema be Revillion.

One that is discontinued that is great is L'Artisan Oeillet Sauvge. Why oh why was that discontinued?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad this thread keeps going strong-
    Another Histoire D'eau fan here- indeed the Mauboussin house is very strong all around. I've also heard Histoire D'eau compared to Tabac Blond
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned " Cachet " by Prince Matchabelli- I loved that and wore it all the time in the 70's and 80's..
    One of my long since discontinued favs is Azzaro 9....

This excellent thread has led me to Balenciaga Talisman, which I now love unreservedly, both juice and bottle. . Thanks to the BNer who brought it to us here.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to revive this thread because I recently discovered Joop! Femme. Don't know why I haven't bought a FB yet; it's dirt cheap on thEbay. It has the 80s quality of being very loud if over-applied, but the the bold florals, woods, and incense are marvelous. It's so unlike anything in production today that I dare say if a niche house released it, I'd be tempted to hand over $$$$ for it!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Knowing by Estee Lauder a gorgeous dark rose chypre that I just recieved for Christmas.

Due to recomendations from this thread :La Perla LaPerla and Roberto Cavalli Oro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reviving this great thread

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding Sculpture by Nikos
    floriental
    Top: Peach, Freesia, Tarragon, Lemon
    Heart: Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Cyclamen, Muguet
    Base: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedar, Benzoin

Hope it's not already been mentioned...
    A Scent Rescuer

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Adding Sculpture by Nikos
    floriental
    Top: Peach, Freesia, Tarragon, Lemon
    Heart: Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Cyclamen, Muguet
    Base: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedar, Benzoin

Hope it's not already been mentioned...
    Thank you so much for adding this one! I haven't heard it mentioned in ages.

Hillaire

I am adding a couple of men's scents tonight. I enjoy men's scent for myself, and hopefully you do, too. But if not, be advised these might make wonderful gifts! And gentlemen reading this, I hope you'll look into these totally looked-over masterpieces.

The first is from a little-known fragrance house called 'Fragrances of Ireland'. All of their scents are pretty good and classic in theme ,but one is a stand out and a classic. It is called Patrick.

Patrick is a very old-school fougere, in the vein of Penhaligon's English Fern or the original Paco Rabanne. But it goes beyond any other scents I know of in this soapy fougere genre , in that it's lush and 'expensive' smelling. It's also totally natural-smelling and loaded with mossiness. It has just the right amount of 'sweet' to make it a little more than clean; I'd say it's sexy. This is the sort of smell I think a man should smell like. I also enjoy wearing it; like English Fern, it's a clean, ferny traditional scent in a way that is unisex. Just an incredible deal, too: it costs about forty dollars. When I hearb Houbigant was re-releasing Royal Fougere... in an expensive, 'precious' bottle, I was excited; I imagined it might smell something like Patrick actually does (I smelled it before I discovered Patrick.) but it's total crap to my nose, and very synthetic. I felt redeemed to discover Patrick shortly after my disappointment with Houbigant, though; somebosy was actually doing a proper, high-end, modern fougere!

The next unsung treasure is Nemo by Cacharel. It's discontinued, but still easy to find on ebay. And it's still affordable; I bought a big bottle for sixty dollars, and you wont find a niche offering for two hundred dollars in its class. Nemo is another very natural-smelling perfume, but this one is a deep, woody-spicy Oriental. It's very curious, in that its notes all sing out, and somehow would not strike me as being right together (cinnamon, mint, pine, leather), and yet work together in total harmony. I cannot understand how this one got axed other than it must have become too expensive to produce. I cannot compare it to anything really (maybe Opus II?), but it was WAY ahead of its time in 1999, and is on par with the latest Amouage offerings in artistry, quality, elegance and longevity. This brooding nighttime scent rates in my top five men's scents of all time.

This thread is just the most wonderful resource. After reading it, I've managed to acquire Talisman and Vendetta; Parfum Prive and Gabrielle Sabatini will be on their way soon (unsniffed) via swaps.

Hillaire

Red nails! I am so glad you like it! Talisman and Vendetta are my best fruity Oriental sillage BOMBS.

You'll love Gabriele Sabatini. It's such a sensual lovely scent.

Hillaire

I am inspired by the fruity thread today, and its lack of replies.

I happen to be a fan of some fruity florals... not the high-school ones, per se, but the more refined and versatile ones. I have been revisiting FFs lately, in order to find the 'HG' fruity floral of them all (It may be Montale Roses Elixir or HdP Collette). Anyway, I have run into a some really decent and ageless compositions, which use more naturalistic fruit smells (real, ripe, tart fruit is one of the finest things our noses experience in life, n'est ce pas?). I do not personally lean toward the shampoo-and-candy FFs, with a couple of exceptions.

I will be adding to this thread as I keep testing, and some FFs I will mention would hardly b considered 'unsung' on other, boppier sites. But since they don't get a lot of press here, I think they'll fit into this concept!

I shall start with the rather sophisticated, subtle Japanese house Masaki Matsushima

Masaki Matsushima 'Mat' - If I were only allowed to give one same gift to every woman I know, and it had be a fruity floral, I would give this. That's not to say it's it's an innocuous pleaser as much it's a really pleasant treat in both its naturalness and bamboo-ey, wise sort-of Eastern elegance.

Black Currant Melon Bamboo Mango
    Middle Notes
    Tea Mint Lotus

Masaki by Masaki Matsushima - A sensible FF for the subtle-yet-sensual, refined urbane type. It's fundamentally a clear and well-composed light floral, but the fruitiness makes it vaguely 'luscious'.

Passionfruit Litchi Red Apple Watermelon
    Middle Notes
    Magnolia Rose
    Base Notes
    Patchouli Raspberry Musk Cedar

Masaki Cherry - Warm, perfumed cherry-pie cherries! Not the scary-cherry cleanser scent of urinal-mints or 'Cherry Certs'.

Black Currant Blueberry Cassia Cherry Blossom Raspberry Musk Sweet Pea Watermelon Lotus

Masaki M - A bolder, edgier version of the original Mat. This very fruity FF does not scream 'young' as much as unique, foodie, and funky. I love it.

Top Notes
    Apricot Litchi Mandarin Orange
    Middle Notes
    Iris
    Base Notes
    Musk
    Last edited by Hillaire; 9th February 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've heard great things about Sabatini now and then here on BN. Unfortunately, the two reviews in the directory don't give me much to go by. I'd love to see some info about notes and comparisons to other fragrances, if someone can provide that. I'm tempted to buy a bottle unsniffed, but I'm trying so hard to stop doing that sort of thing!

Also glad to see I'm no longer the only one loving Oro. The first thread I ever started here (and probably my first post) was one asking for opinions on Oro. I had received a sample at a Nordstrom fragrance event, and by the time I got around to trying it, it was already gone from their store (and pretty much all stores everywhere). I had been lurking on BN for a year (most often reading the directory), and finally gathered the courage to post because I couldn't find any mention of Oro anywhere on the site. I received one reply from dear Pellen saying it sounded wonderful and she was going to try to hunt some down. I think it was another full year before I found a discounter who still carried it.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hillaire~ Thank you for the reminder about Masaki by Masaki Matsushima. I've long felt that my wardrobe falls short in the floral dept., and I sampled this in Sephora a couple of summers ago. It really is nearly perfect for someone who is extra picky about their florals.

Now that I have all the big floriental lovers scooping up their Oro, here's one for the woody incense fans: Hiroko Koshino by Hiroko Koshino. Another one I discovered by sample from a Norsdtrom event. Rich and complex woods and incense with a sheer veil of well-blended florals. I'm a big fan of agarwood, and it lends its mystery to this smoothly and beautifully. Basenotes lists the notes as: Blackcurrant, Tea, Camelia, Ambrette Seed, Olibanum, Tonka Bean, Lotus, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Muguet, Freesia, Cedar, Guaiacwood, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Agarwood. This sounds accurate to me. They read like a possible powerhouse scent, but HK is actually very serene and composed in what seems to me a characteristic Japanese way. I read once that it is supposed to evoke the feeling of a Japanese tea ceremony. Hiroko Koshino has been a haute couture designer in Japan for many decades, and her fragrance smells like a quality niche/couture release.

Interesting coincidence: both HK by HK and M by MM were created by perfumer Jean Jacques.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Heartwood, Hiroko Koshino sounds lovely!

I finally bought that bottle of Molyneux Quartz. I really like it, and if it's reformulated from better days then it still smells very good to me. It reminds me most of Diorella in its peachiness, but it's a bit drier than that, and not as herbal as Cristalle. It has a character of its own, perhaps a tad greener but in the same family as those two. I bought mine inexpensively on ebay.

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    I've heard great things about Sabatini now and then here on BN.
    Do you mean the very first Gabriela Sabatini? It always reminds me of the classical Joop!

Anybody familiar with CARMEN by Victorio&Lucchino, Sevilla?
    Very original, totally "unsung" - so it seems.

I also enjoy STRASS by Luciano Soprani - it's on one level with Miss Balmain.

Oh, another fume on its way is Krizia Moods; I think it's mentioned on this thread, too. Today I'm wearing the original Trussardi. it is such a grand daytime chypre and hardly ever gets a mention. it's cheap, too! Also, did you know that the original Scherrer got discontinued? That's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    ......here's one for the woody incense fans: Hiroko Koshino by Hiroko Koshino. Rich and complex woods and incense with a sheer veil of well-blended florals. I'm a big fan of agarwood, and it lends its mystery to this smoothly and beautifully. Basenotes lists the notes as: Blackcurrant, Tea, Camelia, Ambrette Seed, Olibanum, Tonka Bean, Lotus, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Muguet, Freesia, Cedar, Guaiacwood, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Agarwood. This sounds accurate to me. They read like a possible powerhouse scent, but HK is actually very serene and composed in what seems to me a characteristic Japanese way....
    Wow, this sounds great, do you think it could be a unisex fragrance? Can you compare it to anything else you've smelled? I like the fact that it has all those woods without any spices. But all those florals could tip it towards a very femminine accord.

The bottle is so beautiful, I'm tempted to buy it just to have as an object.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I am inspired by the fruity thread today, and its lack of replies.

I happen to be a fan of some fruity florals... not the high-school ones, per se, but the more refined and versatile ones. I have been revisiting FFs lately, in order to find the 'HG' fruity floral of them all (It may be Montale Roses Elixir or HdP Collette). Anyway, I have run into a some really decent and ageless compositions, which use more naturalistic fruit smells (real, ripe, tart fruit is one of the finest things our noses experience in life, n'est ce pas?). I do not personally lean toward the shampoo-and-candy FFs, with a couple of exceptions.

I will be adding to this thread as I keep testing, and some FFs I will mention would hardly b considered 'unsung' on other, boppier sites. But since they don't get a lot of press here, I think they'll fit into this concept!

I shall start with the rather sophisticated, subtle Japanese house Masaki Matsushima

Masaki Matsushima 'Mat' - If I were only allowed to give one same gift to every woman I know, and it had be a fruity floral, I would give this. That's not to say it's it's an innocuous pleaser as much it's a really pleasant treat in both its naturalness and bamboo-ey, wise sort-of Eastern elegance.

Black Currant Melon Bamboo Mango
    Middle Notes
    Tea Mint Lotus

Masaki by Masaki Matsushima - A sensible FF for the subtle-yet-sensual, refined urbane type. It's fundamentally a clear and well-composed light floral, but the fruitiness makes it vaguely 'luscious'.

Passionfruit Litchi Red Apple Watermelon
    Middle Notes
    Magnolia Rose
    Base Notes
    Patchouli Raspberry Musk Cedar

Masaki Cherry - Warm, perfumed cherry-pie cherries! Not the scary-cherry cleanser scent of urinal-mints or 'Cherry Certs'.

Black Currant Blueberry Cassia Cherry Blossom Raspberry Musk Sweet Pea Watermelon Lotus

Masaki M - A bolder, edgier version of the original Mat. This very fruity FF does not scream 'young' as much as unique, foodie, and funky. I love it.

Top Notes
    Apricot Litchi Mandarin Orange
    Middle Notes
    Iris
    Base Notes
    Musk
    I had/Think I still have a partial sample of the top one shown. mat; I really like it it is on my "gotta get a bottle one of these days list" unfortunately that list is often "bumped" by the OOOOoooHH !!! of the moment or the Crazy steal deal! or the Back-up-bottle list or worst of all the "I just want to buy a perfume NOW ToDAY!(without much regard as to what it is)"
    Ouch .Gotta do better.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if someone has mentioned it before ,there is a real catch SWEET COURREGES!Thi is a wonderful floral with an orangy -fresh top notes ...
    i have listed this to my all time favorites!

Fragrance information :The pink version of Sweet Courreges became sweeter. Refreshing top notes are created of mild citruses, aldehydes, juicy peach and green notes. The heart includes gentle flowers and the base is sweeter thanks to vanilla, Tonka and civet.
    The perfume was launched in 1993.

LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

So my Parfum Prive arrived. As a chypre, this is a very modern, sunny one. It reminds me of another transparent, modern chypre that doesn't get mentioned much -- Trussardi Skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rednails View Post
    So my Parfum Prive arrived. As a chypre, this is a very modern, sunny one. It reminds me of another transparent, modern chypre that doesn't get mentioned much -- Trussardi Skin.
    Parfum Privé is a favorite of mine rednails - I hope you enjoy it! I don't think it's a chypre at all however, "modern" or not (but "modern chypre" translates to "not a chypre" as far as I'm concerned!) As far as I know it's an almost straight-up floral (osmanthus, rose, iris, et al) on a musky base - I doubt there's any moss in it at all. I have seen a blurb going around describing it a "refined, woody, mossy fragrance with cedar and tobacco and dry resins..." but I'm pretty sure this was done in error and is meant to describe La Perla which is more of an actual floral-chypre.

It's interesting that you mention Trussardi - it actually reminds me a bit of Donna Trussardi! Also of Patou's 1000 due to the osmanthus I think, but it's much more wearable without the indoles of the Patou.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

If anybody is looking for a pretty inexpensive MOSSY floral think about Scaasi EDP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Wow, this sounds great, do you think it could be a unisex fragrance? Can you compare it to anything else you've smelled?
    The bottle is so beautiful, I'm tempted to buy it just to have as an object.
    Kevin~ I gave this a full wearing yesterday to be sure to answer you as accurately as possible. I do think it's unisex, but the black currant is definitely there in the opening, and woods and incense are balanced beautifully with the floral accord. I think one would not be inclined to say, "This is a floral scent." Rather, it's all about the woods and incense, highlighted by florals. I suppose the opening with the black currant reminds me of a refined Black Orchid, but not as loud and minus the chocolate. However, the degree of unisex-ity (how do you like that new word?!) is about the same. Also, the black currant isn't as Hiram Walker prominent as in BO, which I appreciate (I'm not a fan of BO). I could also compare it to Black Cashmere, but again softer, without the lively spices, and a touch more floral and sweet. Chaos is softer than HK, though, and less unisex. The incense and woods in HK do feel Japanese somehow. The incense is burning and the wood is almost charred, a bit like Le Labo Vetiver 46, but not nearly as house-on-fire. As the black currant and florals recede during the dry-down, the fragrance becomes drier and I think any man who enjoys unisex scents like Gris Clair would appreciate this very much. I haven't visited GC in a while, but it might be the best comparison for the fully developed HK. Hope this helps!

Also, I both love and don't love the bottle. Its touch is cool to the skin and the rounded pebble shape fits comfortingly in the palm, but it's supposed to stand at an angle on that flat lower left edge, and really it doesn't, or at least my smaller 30 ml size doesn't.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 14th February 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hillaire

I just discovered a lesser-known Laura Ashley scent! (All Laura Ashley scents were phenonmenal.) It's called L'eau.

To my nose, it sits squarely between vintage Cristalle and Molyneaux Quartz. It's a really nice citric chypre with a soft leather base! A definite peach lactone, as in Cristalle. It's worth noting, espcially, since it's not as ridiculously cost-prohibitive as the other discontinued Ashleys. It's actually pretty fair.

Speaking of the harder-to-get 'unsung' treasures from Ashley, my favorite happens to be.... not the gorgeous, aldehydic Emma, but Dilys, a boozy chypre with one of the most unmistakable perfume personalities of all time. It's sort of old-fruity... like prunes and stale roses on wet leather, but utterly intoxicating... at least to my sensibility. A collectible to look into, I suppose.

The Laura Ashley scents were very lovely. I used to like her dresses back in the 80s too, used to buy the mother daughter combos for holidays at my daughters' requests.

Dilys was a favorite, wish I'd have stocked up instead of just picking up samples.

Hillaire

The Laura Ashley scents were very lovely. I used to like her dresses back in the 80s too, used to buy the mother daughter combos for holidays at my daughters' requests.

Dilys was a favorite, wish I'd have stocked up instead of just picking up samples.
    I loved those dresses, too! They were so well-made. My mother always bought me one for Easter. Well into college!
    I wish I had not used my whole big bottle of Dilys, as by the time it was all gone, it was gone...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Un profumo affettuoso View Post
    Do you mean the very first Gabriela Sabatini? It always reminds me of the classical Joop!
    I was excited when I read this because I knew I had some GS on the way, and I had revived this thread last month to give a shout out to Joop! Femme. I definitely see the resemblance, although GS isn't quite as Joop-y as Joop, if that makes any sense. They are very similar though, and so I'm loving the GS!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

This thread needs bumping again .

No it doesn't.
    Reminds me there is this whole list of perfumes here I want to buy....
    Or need to buy....
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

No it doesn't.
    Reminds me there is this whole list of perfumes here I want to buy....
    Or need to buy....
    So, don't buy them, swap for them. That's what I did.

Ah, hum, good idea... but I gave the ones I didn't like away... the ones I have now are the ones I really like...
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have an entire line I think it 'unsung' - Satellite. Ipanema and A La Figue especially. A La Figue is by far the best fig scent I've experienced (I wouldnt call myself a fan of fig but I've tried a lot) and Ipanema is (imo) flawless and possibly suffers from a)the bright colour of the juice and the 'tropical' description - maybe people think it will be OTT/too much/cheap? It (Ipanema) is in permanent rotation in my wardrobe.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

So my Gabriele Sabatini arrived; it is LOVELY. When I first put it on, I thought it smelled like Mackie, but now that it has developed, it's become much more subtle. Really warm, but light at the same time. Nice!

Hillaire

I am so excited about your whole unsung line, LBMN!! Looking into all those now!

Rednails, I am thrilled you like Gabriele Sabatini! It's such a special, sexy true floral!

I'd like to mention another unsung chypre tonight. Though discontinued, it's easy to find and affordable. It's the short-lived Air de Cabochard.

It's such a GOOD peppery, woody chypre. It's modern yet classic like Balmain de Balmain, but no roses int his one. Leather and pepper come out most. It has a classical dark chypre drydown with a touch of barbershop, not unlike La Perla in that phase. It's pretty light and close to the skin, I should mention. And nothing like the original. Still its a fave. I could see this one, with its ver woody presence and leather depths being a recent men's Tom Ford offering.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I see Hillaire is going for the 'enabler" title two years in a row.....hehehe

I've got Masaki's Mat and M on their way to me. I also acquired some 8me Jour, Sublime, minis of Bogner Woman, and Priscilla Presley Moments recently due to this (blasted) thread..LOL!

rednails I LOVE Trussardi SKIN!

Edited to add- forgot I have 30 ml of Hiroko Koshino coming too

2nd edit to add- The Mat and M have already arrived. The Mat is indeed lovely- fresh, elegant, and versatile. However, the M is an absolute knockout! Juicy boozy fruits, over a darker middle and base- Intoxicating and sensual. Thank you Hillaire!
    Last edited by knit at nite; 26th February 2011 at 11:07 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer

Here's another unsung wonder -- S de Scherrer. Smooth, feminine and long-lasting. You must like Tiare, however. I like it especially here -- much smoother than in 80s stonker Loulou.

BTW, does anyone have any experience with the Micallef feminines, esp. Sashka Gold?

I've just tried Sinan, which Evangline mentioned, and it is indeed a stunning , green chypre.
    Great thread!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I have succumbed to this thread and am awaiting my ''Bogner Woman'' and laura Ashley's ''Dilys''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

This is wonderful and very easily a unisex scent.

I thought this one was on this thread but when I searched I didn't find it. ( If I missed it, my apologies).
    Bambou by Weil the EdC ,which can be had for a song at Parfum1.com, is fantastic if you love chypres in all forms.
    I picked it up after reading Hilliare's fabulous review and was not disappointed.

PS. Those of us who find Hilliare's treasures irresistable need to form a group and split up some of these bottles before we go broke.

The problem is, a soon as I hear ''Chypre'', my ears perk up, my nose starts to quiver, and I start calculating what budget I have left!
    This is a horrible thread!!!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rednails View Post
    Here's another unsung wonder -- S de Scherrer. Smooth, feminine and long-lasting. You must like Tiare, however. I like it especially here -- much smoother than in 80s stonker Loulou.

BTW, does anyone have any experience with the Micallef feminines, esp. Sashka Gold?
    I have a bottle of that. It's a fruity floral bouquet, a bit heady with fresh top.
    Opens with aldehydes, fruits and aromatics and already lots of flowers. It's a very strong opening to my nose.
    Flowers are the heart. I think there are too many in there but I get rose, jasmine and lily of the valley.
    Perfumey.

I like sashka sun (yellow bottle) better but I can't really describe it. It is also a fruity floral but is very intriguing to my nose.

Hope it helps a bit.

The ''Chypre-effect'' and excellent price seduced me to try Pecksniff's Green Chypre, and as it is unsung...
    It's a very fresh, very green and citrussy semi-chypre. Semi because it doesn't list oakmoss, which in my opinion is a must.
    But so citrussy! And it doesn't disappear as a fleeting topnote. I have never had a citrus smell hang on for so long! And a lovely subtle musky dry down, which is still citrussy! It's not very complicated, but very satisfying. I think this will be brilliant in hot weather.

And keeping with green chypres, I think Balmain the Balmain is dreadfully neglected. Actually the whole house of Balmain is dreadfully neglected. They don't even sell any of the Balmains anymore in the shops in my town! (as far as I know)
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

And keeping with green chypres, I think Balmain the Balmain is dreadfully neglected. Actually the whole house of Balmain is dreadfully neglected. They don't even sell any of the Balmains anymore in the shops in my town! (as far as I know)
    I have never seen a Balmain in a regular store (only the perfume store Jacqueline in San Francisco) Bought all mine on-line. When we had the Balmain theme on a Friday sync a few weeks ago, I was really surprised how few folks had Balmain in their collection. Neglected and all reasonably priced!
    A Scent Rescuer

I'm in the Netherlands. Mostly. I think they still had some Balmains last year...
    Balmain definitely belongs in this thread!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com