Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Unsung Treasures

I agree with the recommendations for Del Pozo's In Black and In White - very good and a bit unusual, long-lasting and very well-priced. In Black reminds me a bit of Black Orchid ...maybe with a bit of Poison (?) thrown in. It's dark and sexy with juicy cherries and licorice over sultry florals, musk, cedar and patchouli. And I agree with sophi, In White is very similar to Pure Poison, but I actually prefer In White - it seems rounder and a lot less shrill to me. I've never really gotten along with Pure Poison so I was pleased to find In White to be a more refined and wearable version of it.

Halloween is interesting...reminiscent of Alien, maybe, but with violet instead of jasmine. I need to dig out my mini and give it a sniff to remember exactly, but I don't think the name really fits the fragrance which isn't dark or spooky or even very incensey (although incense is listed in the notes) at all. It's a sweet and creamy floral oriental, maybe with a touch of an aquatic something or other going on. On Ella is the other one I've tried and like, but would need to resniff to really recommend it. I can say that it's a nice green floral with a hook....I think it was the freesia that was the stand-out note. And now I'm wondering if it's Gucci's Envy that it reminds me of...!?

They're certainly affordable, but I wouldn't really recommend buying Del Pozos blind - they can be sort of weird and somewhat polarizing...then again, if you come across them in a bargain bin I'd say go ahead and grab one. No matter which you find, it probably won't set you back more than $20. And the bottles are pretty cool.

Does anyone know Duende or Ambar? Duende is from 1992 and was created by Olivier Cresp, so that's pretty interesting! Ambar is new and I like the bottle and the notes - cardamom, bergamote, tangerine, iris, tea, peony, virginia cedar, sage and amber. Here's the bottle -

I recently stumbled upon a couple of old minis of Montana's first fragrance, Parfum de Peau. I used to think it was amazing, so I bought one mini each of edt and edp. It's even better than I remembered it!

Bold, tangy, fruity, spicy, leathery, animalic, delicious. I'm stocking up on vintage bottles of edt, edp and parfum...

I like Parfum de Peau too, tott - I'm glad to hear it's still good! It reminds me a bit of Diva and L'Arte di Gucci with more leather and less rose. Another Montana worth mentioning is Parfum d'Elle, a luscious fruity-floral chypre from 1990.

eta - For anyone interested, Parfum de Peau was created by Jean Guichard, the nose behind a few of my personal favorites, namely Donna Trussardi (already mentioned on this thread) and Cartier's So Pretty, as well as Cacharel's LouLou and Eden and CK's Obsession.

eta2 - I just noticed Twolf's recommendation earlier in this thread for yet another Montana, Suggestion Eau Cuivree. It seems the house of Montana might be needing further research!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 16th July 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Nice to hear there are more fans of this little gem! And I must say that I am curious about both Diva and l'Arte di Gucci...

There is a store here that stocks the new PdP, so I will swing by and test it to see if it's worth investing in, or if it has been destroyed by reformulations...
    Last edited by tott; 16th July 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I like Parfum de Peau too, tott - I'm glad to hear it's still good! It reminds me a bit of Diva and L'Arte di Gucci with more leather and less rose. Another Montana worth mentioning is Parfum d'Elle, a luscious fruity-floral chypre from 1990.

eta - For anyone interested, Parfum de Peau was created by Jean Guichard, the nose behind a few of my personal favorites, namely Donna Trussardi (already mentioned on this thread) and Cartier's So Pretty, as well as Cacharel's LouLou and Eden and CK's Obsession.

eta2 - I just noticed Twolf's recommendation earlier in this thread for yet another Montana, Suggestion Eau Cuivree. It seems the house of Montana might be needing further research!
    OOh, I have to interject. I have a bottle of vintage Parfum de Peau pure parfum, and it's up there in my top three of leather chypres, absolutely DIVINE: Deep, Rosey, Smokey, like old Cabochard with SKANK!

BUUUTTT..this sucker is still in production, and the latest is REALLY BAD (to me), a thin, ginger-dominant mess, with an overdose of aldehydes. Unrecognizable.

Do be cautious, shopping for this beauty.

Sooo... Today I tested what I believe is the most current PdP; the typical (Montana) blue box with the bottle depicted.

It is recognizable as PdP, but it's not as complex and thinner. It feels like it has less sillage and rapidly turns into a skin scent.
    Last edited by tott; 17th July 2010 at 07:37 PM.

Basenotes Institution

We are still on the road and I am logged in from the Motel, but there is one scent that I have never known was so good (on a female!) and that I spotted in Miss Tao's collection -- Zirh Ikon in an impressive black bottle -- and Miss Tao said she paid like $13 at TJMaxx.

eta: spelling
    Last edited by Twolf; 22nd July 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Last edited by pluran; 27th July 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Unsung Treasures

Jean Nate: As luscious as Aqua di Palma at a fraction of the cost; JN lasts much longer , too,

Two recent discoveries: En Avion by Caron; wonderful carnation, spice, cedar and civet. Great in cold weather; kin the Jicky. Also, Or et Noir...also by Caron. A creamy, softly sensual rose with spice. Some say this is a dark rose; I think it's more like a rich and mellow Merlot laced with absinthe. Both have good sillage and longevity.
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaLovesScent View Post

I keep hoping the Jacomo Art Collection series will make it to the U.S. but no luck so far, not even on Evil Bay.
    It's actually available at Henri Bendel in NYC. They haven't joined the rest of us in the 21st century as far as e-commerce goes, but they accept phone orders, so you can give them a call (Giuseppe the manager of the perfume department is absolutely wonderful).

Anne Klein & Anne Klein II

Hillaire

I'm back!

I simply have to sing the praises of this five-star, very-affordable scent from Fragonard!

gorgeous bottle

Caresse is a flawless,complex, elegant, bright little peachy-floral chypre. Falling somewhere between Henry Dunay's Sabi and MDCI Promesse de L'Aube. It's gentle but in no way a mere skin scent.
    What I adore most about it is that it does not put on airs or "try" to do anything out of the range of predictable classicism. Yet it still manages to feel both new and "modern".
    And what I am most excited about is that I have discovered a scent of this obvious quality that costs a mere 70USD. It's incredible.

I really cannot recommend this scent to lovers of the peachy chypre genre enough!

http://www.fragonard.com/parfums_gra...esse-c-168.htm

nice bottle, too, Hillaire.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

This thread seems kind to my wallet but I'm afraid it's bad for my addiction...

Molto Missoni by Missoni

Youth Dew by Estee Lauder

Farouche by Nina Ricci

I have some Unsung Treasures that I have to share!!

For lovers of Diorissimo (one of my favorite Dior's)
    Nina Ricci Fleur de Fleurs (AMAZING!!!!)

For lovers of THICK HEAVY WHITE flower perfumes:
    Caesar Women original (and what a GREAT price!!!)
    Nazareno Gabrielli original (WAUWWAUWWAUW)

For lovers of 'purple & spicy' perfumes:
    Dali Purplelips Sensual (really fantastic!).

For the Classic originals:
    Pierre Cardin original (sooo fantastic!)
    Revillon Detchema

For subtle vintage perfumes:
    Yves Rocher vintage Chevrefeuille ( Citrus & Honeysuckle)
    Yves Rocher Milrose (splendid subtle rose aldehydes, old school).

This thread is a goldmine, makes my heart beat faster - literally!! I'm taking notes and trawling the internet at the same time, and all of a sudden I feel like buying stuff that I never heard about, just because it might be... it could be... a forgotten gem. OH the excitement!!

I don't know if they were already mentioned:
    Jardins de Bagatelle, everybody is raving about Guerlain, but noone ever mentions this one, and it's so PRETTY? It's young, sweet and ever so floral, but there is like a fresh breeze blowing all the way through it, that makes you (well me!) feel soothed.

Spellbound, used to own, never could forget its rich creamyness. Must. Buy. Again.

Nocturnes de Caron, another used to own - must buy again. Smells like you (well I) would want to smell when you're meeting someone for a late dinner. In Paris. In November.

Thought I would bump this thread by mentioning 8e jour by Yves Rocher a discontinued and not in the directory spicy oriental with some vetiver .It smells similar to YSL Nu edp but without the big orchid topnote.

bookwyrmsmith - Holy cats! Not only do I love 8e Jour, it's my sotd, which is a pretty unlikely coincidence! Your take on it is interesting - I don't get any vetiver, it's just soft florals with warm and vibrant cinnamon, honey and myrrh to me - no green. I've never smelled anything like it, not even remotely. However, I might have to revisit Nu (you're talking about the edt, right?) as I suppose the iris and jasmine combo plus some vanilla and myrrh might seem similar.

Btw, it is known and loved around here but only by a seemingly very small minority - it's mentioned on the first page of this thread!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

No I meant the edp Nu that's what I have (blackish-blue hockey puck shaped bottle in a dark plastic box not the silver and bright blue edt) .
    Hmm maybe my 8e jour has turned (at least partially)?or maybe my skin brings that note out.

Hillaire

Boy I sure don't get any similarity between 8e Jour and Nu edp, but they are both amazing!
    And great additions to this thread.

Oh, You have mentioned so many of my faves! I used to wear Moschino original but it was too fougere and manly to my liking. I agree a guy could wear it with ease. Here are some of mine:

Trussardi Donna
    (1984 white snake skin like bottle) - great animalic chameleon - dry and green when it's hot, rosy and sultry in cool weather. I smell quality ingredients, not the sinthetic new ones and think it has not changed. Hard to find, but still in production.

Donna Trussardi (1994 in clear bottle) - fresh, but sultry chypre.

Montana Parfum de peau (original) - the greatest animalic ever made. smoky, powdery, soapy, greenish chypre. Even the reformulated version still makes my heart skip a beat. Very true to the original, but less fierse

Rumba - My all time favourite. Similar to Montana, but a tad sweeter and has more fruits and insense.

Diva was a great animalic too, but the new version leaves me cold, Sweeter and milder, sillage is a bit like Knowing

Gucci III - a green, fruity, rosy, powdery leathery chypre. My daytime fave. Impossible to find.

Miss Balmain - classy rosy insensey chypre. Preder it to Jolie Madame

Narcisse Chloe - best floriental ever. Even my mum grew to love it and it's among her faves now. I get so many compliments when I wear it.

Sublime by Jean Patou - fresh insense. Love it.

Rive gauche
    - cold metallic aldehide, my HG in hot weather. Like a cold shower.

Farouche - best aldehide ever

Calandre
    - green and cold aldehide composed by Michael Ho who composed Rive gauche and Farouche as well

Fleur de fleur
    - a nice flowery aldehide by Nina Ricci
    Replique by Raphael - not a chypre, but nice green dry fragrance. Also like the original by Irma Shorell.

Stephanie by Bourjois - little known chypre composed by Polge. Some of the best ever made

Evasion, Flamme, Premier muguet by Bourjois. Evasion is a tarty jasmin composition with lots of moss and lilly of the valley. Premier muguet is dry, bitter and mossy lilly of the valley, Flamme - an old school chypre

K by Krizia - a nice crisp floral. I wear it today mixed with Grey flannel

Creation
    by Lapidus - a wet chypre with monster sillage. Does not suit me though

I bought unsniffed Capucci by Capucci and it is awfull. Stinks of carnation and has nothing, absolutelu nothing in common with the original. No point buyng this one.

I have a question. Has any of You recently bought Cachet by Prince Matchabelli? I remember the original as a dry, bitter, green chypre, similar to Alliage by EL. How is the new version.

I'm interested in revisiting Norell, but am not sure it is the crisp old version. How do they differ?

Orazuli by Dupont - won in a contest here at Basenotes, bought another bottle at TJ Maxx. Actually wearing it today, soft creamy vanilla with a distant citrus by this time of the day.

Adrienne Vittadini by Adrienne Vittadini - beautiful light oriental for the summer. Getting hard to find now.

Pivoine by Yves Rocher - used to wear this a lot in the summer.

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld - beautiful, sleeper oriental.

I came across and bought a slightly used 100 ml EDT bottle of Van Cleef and Arpels Gem in the original formulation, as pictured in this thread. It is really fine and classic perfumery.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Hillaire

Oh knit at nite! I am so pleased you like that one. It's my favorite of that house!

Oh what a horrible, fascinating and dangerous thread!!!!

How about Aperçu by Houbigant.
    It's a lovely Chypre, very not flowery. I got a tester on E-bay!
    Also the first perfume I brought blind.
    The first perfume I brought because of the reviews on Basenotes,
    And the First perfume which brough about a bout of Hillairitis.
    Which affliction is now greatly enhanced by this threat and now I have to get some La Perle, Miss Arpels, Fath de Fath, Capucci de Capucci and Bogner Woman....

I will be good and post .Though a part of me says NNNOOO!!!!! not till you back-up the bottles !!!
    Shush selfish side .
    Golden Autumn by Prince Machabelli -a soapy woodsy
    and
    Golden Woods by Max Factor-spicy ambery probably a cousin or sib to Cinnabar ,Obsession,or Toujours Moi
    Both are delicious

My unsung treasures include:-

Fragonard's Fleur D'Oranger - my all-time favourite summer scent. Nonchalant, carefree,
    uplifting and totally beautiful.

Empreinte by Courreges - this one is a real beauty with notes of peach, artemesia,
    florals, melon, leather, woods and castoreum. It is a little "Femme"-like, dare I say.

Casaque by Jean d'Albret - now sadly discontinued, but available in a re-creation by
    Irma Shorell. A lush floral with real depth.

Lullaby by Jeffrey Dame for Perfume Of Life. This is a poignant, caressing little scent with
    that touching heliotrope note that makes it feel tinged with sadness.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    bookwyrmsmith - Holy cats! Not only do I love 8e Jour, it's my sotd, which is a pretty unlikely coincidence! Your take on it is interesting - I don't get any vetiver, it's just soft florals with warm and vibrant cinnamon, honey and myrrh to me - no green. I've never smelled anything like it, not even remotely. However, I might have to revisit Nu (you're talking about the edt, right?) as I suppose the iris and jasmine combo plus some vanilla and myrrh might seem similar.

Btw, it is known and loved around here but only by a seemingly very small minority - it's mentioned on the first page of this thread!
    Ohhh Evangeline, I DO love 8e jour sooooo much!!! It is my gourmand interpretation of Opium. Where Opium can be a tad too spicy at times, 8e jour has polished all the edges away and made it a WONDERFUL passionate perfume.

I am one of the biggest fans of Yves Rocher vintages. Ispahan as my oriental interpretation of the vintage Miss Dior, Cantate as the gourmand ahead of it's time, Venice as the sensual version of Galbanum, Shafali as the exceptional interpretation of the white flower and honey. I am totally crazy about my jewel Orchidee and her sister Nuit D'Orchidee, I adore the dewy green Nature, the utterly FANTASTIC vintage En Avril Un Soir, the sillage monster Rose Ispahan, the sophisticated vintage Chevrefeuille, the lovely lovely new range Secret Essences, and the stunning woody gourmand Nature Millenaire, the allrounder Nebline, where to begin and where to stop??
    Yves Rocher - masterpiece supplier of all times!

Hillaire

Bookwyrm,I am officially excited about the Prince Matchabelli!

And Kewart, thank you for those lovely recommendations. I am doing searches now! I am so glad you mentioned Empriente! I love it, and it's the ultimate soapy leather!