Code of Conduct

Thread: Bois des îles

Default Bois des îles

I've had a sample of BOIS DES ÎLES laying around for probably a couple of years, and I must not have sniffed it until now. Wow, what a beautiful scent, and absolutely appropriate for men or women. This has jumped into the top handful of fragrances I've smelled. Running off now to purchase a bottle.

Any other Bois des Iles fans out there?

smeller

Default Re: Bois des îles

Could you enlighten us about the similarities with Égoïste, if you see any?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I really, really wanna try this out.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 11th April 2010 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I would be a poor one to compare Egoiste to anything since my nose dose not react well to it. Egoist I am told is a sandalwood fragrance, but it is so very strong to my nose that I simply cannot tolerate it. I must be very sensitive to an ingredient or combination of ingredients; to me it smells like honey and mosquito repellent. I am sorry if that offends anyone. Bois des Iles smells like some well blended aldehydes on top, which merge seamlessly into Ylang in the middle, and sandalwood and tonka on the bottom. It is quite sweet, so it's definitely oriental. I don't know if I would call this "floriental", or a woody oriental. It's just a well blended, smooth sandalwood scent I guess. Very enjoyable. BTW, I tested the edt version.

I like BdI EDT very much, and actually find it different enough from Egoiste. The sheer amount of aldehydes and the gingerbread note are the major differences. The drydown is somewhat similiar to Egoiste. BdI parfum is very similiar to Egoiste's drydown IMHO.

Wonderful fragrance. I won't embarass myself by attempting to describe it, but it's been towards the top of my "to buy" list since I sampled it last month. Thanks for the reminder. Such a soaringly beautiful fragrance. Just wonderful.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Any other Bois des Iles fans out there?
    Definitely a fan here. If it had been given a number, it could have very well been Chanel's top seller instead of No.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Definitely a fan here. If it had been given a number, it could have very well been Chanel's top seller instead of No.5.
    I tend to agree with you. Though I can't claim to have sniffed every Chanel fragrance, BdI is my favorite by far.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    yep I see clearly the dry down of egoiste here , with that smell of clove and sandalwood.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Basenotes Institution

I think both Egoiste and Bois des Iles handle sandalwood in the same way, however they do NOT smell alike.

I love both. I find the BdI is a bit more 'lightweight' and of course it's more aldehydic. So for me this makes it easier to wear here in South Florida. The Egoiste, because of it's dense, fruity sweetness is lovely - but I have to make sure it's cool outside when I wear it.

Off topic: I wish Chanel made a 'light' version of Egoiste (Platinum Egoiste is horrible, IMO).

I have heard that BdI parfum, is quite exquisite, but I've never had a chance to sample it.

This thread was born and died before I joined BN, but now that it has been resurrected, I'll add my name to the esteemed list above. For Bois des Iles hath charms to soothe a savage breast...

I am also a big fan of BdÎ. The parfum is wonderful, particularly vintage. It's fairly quiet, but oh so smooth, luxurious, buttery sandalwood.

I find this to be a good unisex scent with a pretty prominent sandalwood zing.

Ever since I have been giften a BdI parfum from a dear friend, I am smitten with it and now I eat my words on it being extremely similar to Egoiste. The parfum is heavier, and richer than both BdI EDT and Egoiste. What surprised me the most about BdI parfum is that seven hours in, it gets extremely animalic and I suspect a civet heavy base.

Blog Entries

BdI is a beautiful scent that I agree far supasses Chanel No.5. My three favorites from Chanel are Coromandel, Bois des I'les and No.22.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Ever since I have been giften a BdI parfum from a dear friend, I am smitten with it and now I eat my words on it being extremely similar to Egoiste. The parfum is heavier, and richer than both BdI EDT and Egoiste. What surprised me the most about BdI parfum is that seven hours in, it gets extremely animalic and I suspect a civet heavy base.
    Sounds so good. Is the parfum more sandalwood prominent than the EdT of BdI, in your opinion?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think both Egoiste and Bois des Iles handle sandalwood in the same way, however they do NOT smell alike.

I love both. I find the BdI is a bit more 'lightweight' and of course it's more aldehydic. So for me this makes it easier to wear here in South Florida. The Egoiste, because of it's dense, fruity sweetness is lovely - but I have to make sure it's cool outside when I wear it.

Off topic: I wish Chanel made a 'light' version of Egoiste (Platinum Egoiste is horrible, IMO).

I have heard that BdI parfum, is quite exquisite, but I've never had a chance to sample it.
    My thoughts exactly. Recently sampled BdI for the first time, and was quite blown out of my socks.

And yes, I agree: Platinum Egoiste isn't worthy of the Chanel name.

Similar to Egoiste, you say??? I have to try this now.

Did everyone get the email from Chanel that ALL exclusifs are available in the 2.5 oz size now??

Bois Des Iles is in the Chanel Les Exlusifs collection as an EdT. Where is the parfum version available?

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    Bois Des Iles is in the Chanel Les Exlusifs collection as an EdT. Where is the parfum version available?
    Chanel boutiques and online from Chanel.

to my nose, BdI is a slightly toned down Egoiste, softened with plenty of iris. I love it even more than egoiste!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sounds so good. Is the parfum more sandalwood prominent than the EdT of BdI, in your opinion?
    To me the EDT projects the creamy, warm side of sandalwood, while in the parfum it quickly transitions from creamy, to warm to woody and stays woody for mid-heart notes to an animalic base. It truly is something special.

I use Egoiste Cologne Concentree but I wear the Bois des Iles parfum (non-vintage). The EdT from the Les Exclusifs is too chalked full of aldehyde for me... the vintage EdT is also much nicer. BdI is lighter with a more vanilla dry-down than Egoiste Concentree, which is smokey, woodsy and even a bit metallic.

Bois des Iles is a 5/5 fragrance for me from the moment I tried it.

@gandhajala -- Where on the website do you see the Parfum version? I searched all over and didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    @gandhajala -- Where on the website do you see the Parfum version? I searched all over and didn't see it.
    Hi djron91,
    Well, it looks like it isn't available on the Chanel USA site. I was just going by the Chanel UK website, where it is available here:

http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragranc...ES-ILES-118643

Perhaps you can contact your local Chanel boutique and ask them. Or perhaps some other US based Basenoter can help.

Sorry!

Basenotes Plus

To me the EDT projects the creamy, warm side of sandalwood, while in the parfum it quickly transitions from creamy, to warm to woody and stays woody for mid-heart notes to an animalic base. It truly is something special.
    This is a very good description. I have both & love both. My preference is for the parfum version, LOVE the base.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Thanks for the info. It looks like I might have to wait until my annual European trip to pick up the parfum version. I will probably get a sample from The Perfumed Court to see if I like the eDp more than the eDt.

Basenotes Plus

BdI's is not made in an EDP, only an EDT or a parfum. Sorry, if I wasn't clear.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Hi djron91,
    Well, it looks like it isn't available on the Chanel USA site. I was just going by the Chanel UK website, where it is available here:
    http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragranc...ES-ILES-118643
    It's not really available there, either. It's just a notice that it's "available exclusively in the Fragance Boutique at Selfridges London and in the Fashion Boutiques."

^ ah, my bad. Well spotted though I'd never really looked that closely at the website - I just remembered seeing the 15ml bottles and assumed you could buy them online. Cheers ROtto for clarifying that.

Does any one know the cost for the 15ml bottle of parfum?

15ml parfum costs 110 British Pounds and I think they are $200 in America

15ml parfum costs 110 British Pounds and I think they are $200 in America
    I paid 148 euros/15 ml last year in Paris.

I was lucky to score my Bois des Iles parfum (15ml) from a BN member here - he was a total pro and it was shipped to me for $140. Cheers to him if he's reading!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I was lucky to score my Bois des Iles parfum (15ml) from a BN member here - he was a total pro and it was shipped to me for $140. Cheers to him if he's reading!
    Good price! I paid 116 British Pounds in London late last year. Today, that's worth approx. 136 euros or 186 US dollars.

Bois des Iles parfum is very potent - I am wearing some now on one wrist (three small sprays from parfum I decanted into a tiny glass atomizer)... for the potency of this parfum I would actually say $186 USD isn't too bad. I wouldn't pay that for the Cuir de Russie parfum again though, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Good price! I paid 116 British Pounds in London late last year. Today, that's worth approx. 136 euros or 186 US dollars.

Basenotes Institution

I finally got the opportunity to sample Bois des Iles parfum, and I got to smell vintage juice. I had been saving it for a special occasion, since it was just a teensy amount, probably 1/4 of a milliliter.

The aldehydes are evident but they are not so sparkling, they seem to darken the florals (which enhance them, IMO) and then of course it's much more deeper woody, with that classicly velvety sandalwood. There is nothing resinous or medicinal about this sandalwood, all of the harsh edges have been softened and so the 'creamy' aspects of the real Mysore sandalwood are clearly evident.

The next morning, after wearing it the day before, when I took a shower as soon as the hot water hit my chest and skin I could clearly smell sandalwood everywhere in the air. This stuff is the REAL DEAL. I would love to have more of it. (sigh)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac