Code of Conduct

Default overstock.com fake perfumes?

Do Overstock.com Sell Fake Or Authentic perfumes?
    im tryna buy this but dont know to decide if its fake or not
    http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beau.../product.html#

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: overstock.com fake perfumes?

Not likely fake, especially as a 3 piece set.

u sure because these run for $79 retail & they dont accept returns on fragrance

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought of Overstock.com as a reputable and aboveboard merchant. Does anyone have any anecdotal proof that suggests the contrary?

Post Thanks / Like

FYI. I bought the Burberry London For Men gift set which had a suggested retail of like $90.00 for $35.00 at Dillards. Gift sets tend to be priced pretty reasonably (generally just slightly above the cost of the largest EDT) for quick sale.

I'd say you're safe to proceed with your purchase...
    Last edited by stoavio; 11th April 2010 at 03:56 AM.

yea but dillards are %100 legit than overstock
    Last edited by JoKerZ; 11th April 2010 at 04:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Overstock.com is legitimate as far as I know. I've never heard anything questionable about them. Have you? I just checked their website and they have a 30-day return policy just as long as the item is returned in it's original unused condition.
    Last edited by stoavio; 11th April 2010 at 04:22 AM.

they dont accept returns on fragrance
    "Due to the personal nature of this product we do not accept returns."

Quote Originally Posted by JoKerZ View Post
    u sure because these run for $79 retail & they dont accept returns on fragrance
    Price doesn't mean much. Perfumes' full retail price can be ten times or more what it costs to produce and discounters can sell at very low percentages of the tag price and still make their cut.

I think Overstock is just as reputable as any brick and mortar chain store . . .but even those aren't immune from being sold fakes or gray market goods. You could probably get around the returns policy if you were sold an obvious knock off by some phone work and persistence as those policies aren't set in stone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

overstock.com's prices are in line with TJ Maxx and other off-price retail stores. It just gives you an idea about how overpriced fragrances are at department stores to begin with.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I had a good experience with Overstock in the purchase of Cuir de Lancome. It was about $39 or so, while other online dealers were charging up to $95 and $125 for it. And these most assuredly were not fakes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought Bogart pour Homme from Overstock. Granted, it was a blind buy because I couldn't find a single retailer in my locale who sold it. With shipping it cost less than $23 USD, if memory serves. It seemed legit to me and the frag appears to match what other BN reviews say of it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read older theads slamming this e-tailer, but everything I have purchased from them was the genuine article. if you are very concerned that they don't accept returns, you'd probably feel more comfortable buying from a place like TJ Maxx, where returns are accepted.

Edited to add:
    a quick search on e-bay shows the same set for 52 with free shipping or 42 with 8.50 shipping, so Overstock's price is within that range- which to me would not make it more likely it's a fakejust, like an-oud-girl said, shows fragrances are overpriced in the first place.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 11th April 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've purchased many things from Overstock, including a Tommy Bahama fragrance, and I've never been disappointed. I say go ahead with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never bought fragrance from Overstock.com, but I have bought lots of other stuff, including sheets, clothing, and carpets. I've never had a problem with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased many things from Overstock including two bottles of fragrance. No problems...

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry Touch has been around for ten years and is regularly discounted. It is more surprising that anyone would pay retail at this point.
    Last edited by stuigi; 19th April 2010 at 12:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Shop at your own risk ! I just received my Givenchy Gentleman today. It was an obvious counterfeit. The original has a silver cap on it. This one was all black. The scent (whatever it was) lasted for a few minutes then poof...away.

I've ordered low end fragrances from them before. I had a problem with their Giorgio Beverly Hills for men and also the YSL Homme. They use 3rd party distributors. We all know how that game works.

I'm sure some of it is genuine overstock merchandise but I've done this a few times with them and I am tired of it. Good bye Overstock.com forever.

When I called today I let out an emotional rant which included filing with the BBB and other online complaint resources. I was sent a UPS return label and now it's out of my hair.

After finishing this post I will order directly from Givenchy for an extra $23 dollars !

Yes even The big O is full of - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to be fake, maybe old stock but not fake for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey if you are comfortable receiving bottles that don't look like anything photographed on the web or the Givenchy site then be my guest.

If you want to risk getting old stock that you don't know where it has been or how it has been kept BE MY GUEST.

I on the other hand have bought numerous bottles from Overstock. In the past The Caron Por Un Homme was legit overstock but in 2011/2012 the tides change. This shipment came from a 3rd party distribution center in Miami. It had the name on the retun label...all looks rick rack/wishy washy to me.

Do what you like.

I guess no place is immune to deception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I guess no place is immune to deception.
    lol

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Never bought from Overstock, but I've never heard anything either way about them. I HAVE heard, however, that Bluefly sometimes stocks fakes (unknowingly?)

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think overstock is just one entity, I think they have something like amazon with other distributers/manufactures that are able to list there, so there is a chance that you'll get old stock or even a possible counterfeit...

that being said, I've never had a problem from overstock and I've bought maybe 10 or so fragrances off there. A gift set though, that's pretty unlikely to be fake

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article online recently that said many Ebay sellers who sell counterfeits will also sell a few originals to throw people off. If you see good AND bad reviews you are more likely to think the negative reviews are a fluke or a personal disagreement.

The only online fragrance store I feel comfortable with (besides online versions of Dept stores) is Sephora. I have dealt with them before buying skin products and fragrances. I was very impressed with how generous the sales people are with their time and samples. On several occasions staff have given me a weeks supply of a product to test before I bought it. Most Sephora staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. They don't seem like the type of company out to take people for granted. IMO of course.

Amazon has slime ball written all over it for the most part. Allowing 3rd party sellers ruined their credibility with me. Ebay is "jump at your own risk ! " Overstock.com was always "questionable" to me. The same goes for their clothing and furniture..."hit or miss". Add to that 3rd party drop shipping and I no longer have interest in them anymore.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 14th March 2012 at 03:04 AM.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    The only online fragrance store I feel comfortable with (besides online versions of Dept stores) is Sephora. I have dealt with them before buying skin products and fragrances. I was very impressed with how generous the sales people are with their time and samples. On several occasions staff have given me a weeks supply of a product to test before I bought it. Most Sephora staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. They don't seem like the type of company out to take people for granted. IMO of course.

+5 million

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i just got an yves saint laurent l'homme tester from this website and it DEFINTELY was not the real deal. The one i have smells like a cheap adidas cologne. Maybe its way passed its shelf life? who knows? im returning this ASAP. I knew 50 bucks for an 80 dollar product was too good to be true

Quote Originally Posted by mvhooper2 View Post
    i just got an yves saint laurent l'homme tester from this website and it DEFINTELY was not the real deal. The one i have smells like a cheap adidas cologne. Maybe its way passed its shelf life? who knows? im returning this ASAP. I knew 50 bucks for an 80 dollar product was too good to be true
    thats funny because I must have bought from the same seller. I have a bottle from macys and then got the one from overstock. The bottle is spot on however the scent lasts half the time the one from macys lasts. I sprayed one on each wrist and asked random people (sought of a pick up routine in bars/clubs actually works) and like almost everyone said that they smell slightly different. Oh well now im stuck with a 3 plus ounce of watered down l'homme or a bottle that sat in a 100 degree warehouse for a year. Live and learn I just wish I would have put that money towards something else I sent them an email and they told me they will respond in 2-3 business days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Overstock is legit, as far as I know. They do sell testers, open boxes, dented boxes, etc. In other words, they are an online TJ Maxx or Marshall's.

Burberry Touch is not very expensive on eBay or discount stores, so the price on Overstock is not questionable to me.

edit: Just realized the original post is oooooold, haha

Post Thanks / Like

Overstock always seemed legit to me, but I've never bought any high end stuff from the site either.