Code of Conduct

Smile Love it or Hate it :your pet's reaction to a fragrance

I was wondering if anyone had a funny story about their pets reaction about a fragrance.My poor cats (3 ) and dogs (2) have had some amusing reactions to my SOTD or latest trials and I wanted to hear other stories .P.S. BTW Anyone find a bottled scent that the pet liked(especially cat liked -other than catnip)?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Love it or Hate it :your pet's reaction to a fragrance

This is exactly like one of my cats looks like,
    when he accidently sniffs my newly applyed
    perfume.

[Not only the facial expression, but this cat
    looks spot on like mine
    ...]

But strangely enough, he likes Midnight Poison,
    he actually licked my wrists once, a couple of
    hours after I'd applyed the juice. He hasn't done
    it since, though, so it could have been something
    else he liked?
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 11th April 2010 at 07:53 AM.

My Norwich Terrier is totally indifferent to my fragrances, but she goes nuts over chicken and cheese.

as far as I've noticed, pets are indifferent to fragrances.

they only care about food smells.

When I apply close to my pet (same room), he sneezes and gets out of that room (actually, most of the times, he gets out of the room as soon as I take a bottle of perfume in my hands). Never likes it. After that, acts indiffrent, no perfume repells him, but no perfume attracts him either.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

My black labs like to 'snuffle' my wrists and neck every morning when I first let them into the house - I think they are enjoying the scent! When they were puppies, the dog training books suggested wearing NO fragrance for about 4 months so the animals would become accustomed to the owner's particular scent - I said forget you! and my dogs could probably find me by tracking sillage!

reine

I have two dogs - when I burn frankincense the female rolls on the ground a little bit like a cat with catnip, she is also interested to sniff my arm if she's in the room when I put on perfume. If I hold out my recently-scented arm to the male dog he makes an unhappy expression and gets ready to run away if it looks like my arm will get too close. There is one exception so far for him - he loves lyric woman, and wants to roll in it.

Basenotes Plus

My dogs usually bark when they see a scent bottle coming out of the wardrobe - and a couple try to lick it all off as soon as it's dry (in a very manic way - that mostly happens with attars 'though, but it's pretty annoying as they are very single-minded - they seem to like the taste, rather than trying to remove the smell).
    Anyone else have this problem?

Basenotes Institution

My mother's fave dog Barney - licks his chops if he like something I wear and turns his head away if he doesn't like something I am wearing . Mostly he licks his chops .
    I do offer my wrists to Barney often, to smell - he's quite intelligent ,I think. I think he's partial to Shalimar and tuberose/gardenia /sweet smells.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Our dogs just sniff and ignore my scents. For animals with such sensitive noses, what a waste.

They prefer smelling other animals, people...or food.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I have two dogs one of which is named Charlie (the fragrance dog). Morning routine is that Charlie, in anticipation of going for a walk, greets me when first I get up, then checks his food dish and stands by his leash. Once I pick up his leash he sniffs me and off we go unless the fragrance I am wearing has civet. He then pays much more attention before we go for a walk. Otherwise he takes note of the fragrance and goes on with life. Charlie is a border collie mix and quite a character.

My King Charles Cavvy always comes and has a sniff when you've sprayed something

I have two kitties, one male and one female. My girl kitty definitely notices perfume. She tries to lick it off my wrists whenever she can. My little boy sometimes sniffs my throat or wrists if I have recently applied scent but otherwise shows no interest in it. My best friend's cat, a male, specifically adores the scent of Ormonde Woman on me. If I put some on and he is around he will seek me out pronto.

Basenotes Plus

hiya bookwyrmsmith,
    Some folks seem to have extraordinary pets. Sadly, my two male cats are totally indifferent to my use of any scents and completely ignore the query "Do you like the way mama smells?", unbelieveable as that may be. If the scent bottles made the same sound as popping the top off a can of cat food I would likely get more joy. They can hear that sound three rooms away and come running.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I have two dogs one of which is named Charlie (the fragrance dog). Morning routine is that Charlie, in anticipation of going for a walk, greets me when first I get up, then checks his food dish and stands by his leash. Once I pick up his leash he sniffs me and off we go unless the fragrance I am wearing has civet. He then pays much more attention before we go for a walk. Otherwise he takes note of the fragrance and goes on with life. Charlie is a border collie mix and quite a character.
    Charlie likes civet, D ?! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Banned

My cat Ramses likes Bal Versailles. He keeps sniffing and sniffing whenever I wear it, and he also purrs.

He is also quite the apt burglar. He opens all doors and closets; and if he gets hold of a boxed perfume, he opens it.
    That's why my boxes are either scruffed or non-existent.
    Last edited by Madame du Barry; 12th April 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Eva Pasco

My two cats seem indifferent to fragrance. However, my Hope will occasionally lick my wrist--wonder what she's trying to tell me.

I have a cocker spaniel. He loves sweet scents and wants to lick my wrists particularly if I'm wearing Burberry or some other fruity vaniila thing. He's never behaved negatively towards a scent. My mom had a cat for 14 years and if he did not like a scent, he would bite - could be lotion or air freshner or anything other scented thing. On the other hand if he liked a scent, he loved to cuddle and would do that pawing thing and purr like a refrigerator. The most usual scent related thing he ever did was when my grandpa ended up in the hospital, my mom took his clothes home to wash and threw them in the washer. She left the lid open and we found the cat in the washer. I guess he was looking for my grandpa or missed him or something.

I have two dogs, a Sheltie and a Lab mix.... the Sheltie is pretty much stupid, and completely indifferent to any fragrance. The Lab on the other hand, is always snorfling my wrists. He licks them when I've spritzed Shalimar! Obvious good taste!

My Female cat loves Angel and my male cat loves mugler cologne xx

My cat reacts the same as the one in Le Grand Duc's photo above. She hates all perfumes, period. I haven't found one yet she likes. And I've tried!

My cats seem to really dislike them all. But I have a vial of (synthetic) civet, and I let them smell it once, and both really got kind of aggressive over it.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Civet seems to be the big attention-getter for pets. When I opened some (synthetic) civet, my cat started running around the room, playing with random objects as if he were on a catnip high x 10. Otherwise he doesn't seem to care much about my scents. However, he will spend long periods of time carefully sniffing a spot on the floor or a plant outside.