Code of Conduct

Default Creating my own for the FIRST time. Where do you order?

Im beginning today to create my own fragrances, i ordered a couple of different oils from newdirectionsuk.com...i ordered bottles also.

im beginning my creating a scent ive wanted for a long time now, New Haarlem by Bond no. 9

i read the base middle and top notes on this website and ordered those oils...im assuming theres more to it than this to creating a scent......what is it? and where does everyone here order from?

i am not going to be in the business of copying perfumes, but this is just a beginning place with something familiar......

all tips are welcomed and appreciated!

Default Re: Creating my own for the FIRST time. Where do you order?

first of all, you need to figure out the difference between fragrance oils and essential oils and aroma chemicals, and the difference between fragrance notes and actual ingredients that make up a perfume. mixing fragrance oils of some perfume notes is not going to produce anything near the fragrance you want to replicate. it is a lot more complicated than that.

to answer you other question, i am in the netherlands and i order at hekserij.nl. i can recommend them, especially if you live in europe.
    Last edited by gido; 11th April 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Check out Dimitri's "for sale" thread here on DYI. He has a bunch of things in very small quantities, so you would have a palette to explore and start composing with.

Thanks Doc Elly

How does one become a professional perfumer? Can you be formally trained in this field?

yes, there are perfumery schools. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/perfumer

Thanks for the replies! And the link.....i checked the site, i fumbled a bit through it searching for the list of oils. Ill have a look at them when i place my next order. By the way, im in sweden.....so hello from across the water to the dane!

So.....this is what im trying to begin with to make http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123081.html

Can someone provide some insight as to how to replicate "pretty" close to this? Just for a springboard to begin with scent making

The notes given in the perfume description are more or less useless, since they are all extremely common (except maybe the coffee) and could describe hundreds or thousands of different perfumes. However, they might give some hints as to where to start. You would probably want to include vanilla/coumarin, cedar, lavender, and some sort of citrus. Oh, and a little bit of coffee. This won't recreate the perfume in any fashion, so you'll need to experiment to figure out the relative proportions and what other notes are in it. If you really want to recreate the scent, you'll also have to figure out what type of vanilla, cedar, lavender, citrus, etc. were used in the commercial formula, since all of these materials can vary widely in odor. In the end your own nose is the best guide as to what's in a perfume.
    Last edited by Doc Elly; 13th April 2010 at 05:30 PM.