Code of Conduct

Default Terre d'Hermes - What Gives it that Thick, Masculine Spice?

Is it geranium or bergamot? I notice bergamot in a lot of frags and I like it, but it's never thick and spicy like this. Same with geranium. Is it maybe a high concentration of one of these or a combination of one of these 2 scents along with some sort of musk? Opinions?

Also, is there anything yuze guyz can suggest to me that is similar to that factor in Terre d'Hermes but maybe a bit of a more exotic or less common edge? Or just something similar and not necessarily superior? You know... just to check out.

Thanks.

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes - What Gives it that Thick, Masculine Spice?

Oh and Perfumes - The Guide (book) says it's a delightful mix of grapefruit & geranium with "no terre in sight", and that it is "delightful and pleasant at all times" yet they gave it 3 stars. Strange. Also, the short description of the scent is "fresh bergamot".

So perhaps it's the grapefruit that gives it that edge?

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely a combination of geraniol and citronellol.

For starters, try:
    Dunhill for Men (1934)
    Monsieur Balmain
    Creed Bois de Cedrat

Post Thanks / Like

What gives Terre D'Hermes that rotting garbage/bug spray/B.O. smell? The few negative reviews that mention this scare me off. Obviously I would sample on my skin before I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    What gives Terre D'Hermes that rotting garbage/bug spray/B.O. smell? The few negative reviews that mention this scare me off. Obviously I would sample on my skin before I buy it.
    Terre d'Hermes may be a pretty popular scent, which may turn some people off, but it certainly does not smell like bug spray. If there is a bug spray that smells like Terre d'Hermes, sheeeeit... let me know so I don't have to spend the $$$ on TdH!

You can chalk that up to people with "damaged olfactory senses", in my opinion. By that, I mean people who have had some sort of negative sensory experience that causes similar smells to produce a warped interpretation of the scent(s). Like someone who was held down and tickled by uncle Larry who happened to work at a slaughterhouse part-time, and a sewage plant the rest of the time, and insisted on skipping showers to conserve water and re-using toothpaste.

Or it could be an actual genetic trait. You know, there is a small percentage of people on this earth who perceive fresh cilantro as tasting skunk-like or soapy. It's related to genetics, which is unfortunate since cilantro is only the most beautiful-smelling/tasting green in existence (which, through much research and studying, I've found to be fact and not opinion---weird, huh?).
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 11th April 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virabhadra View Post
    Terre d'Hermes may be a pretty popular scent, which may turn some people off, but it certainly does not smell like bug spray. If there is a bug spray that smells like Terre d'Hermes, sheeeeit... let me know so I don't have to spend the $$$ on TdH!

You can chalk that up to people with "damaged olfactory senses", in my opinion. By that, I mean people who have had some sort of negative sensory experience that causes similar smells to produce a warped interpretation of the scent(s). Like someone who was held down and tickled by uncle Larry who happened to work at a slaughterhouse part-time, and a sewage plant the rest of the time, and insisted on skipping showers to conserve water and re-using toothpaste.

Or it could be an actual genetic trait. You know, there is a small percentage of people on this earth who perceive fresh cilantro as tasting skunk-like or soapy. It's related to genetics, which is unfortunate since cilantro is only the most beautiful-smelling/tasting green in existence (which, through much research and studying, I've found to be fact and not opinion---weird, huh?).
    I prepared a reply to this diatribe but in the end i just reported it.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Yeah...the imagery was a bit disturbing. Good call TwoRoads.

Seriously? You guys are sensitive. Excuse the hell out of me. I guess only clean, grandma-friendly humor flies with you? I wasn't being offensive, I was joking. (Oh yeah, and also making a valid point. Hard to see that from way up there on that horse, huh.) Damn.
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 11th April 2010 at 06:43 PM.

By the way, the word "diatribe" is used to reference AGGRESSIVE expression in the English language. You got that from my post? Enough to submit it as a violation of the Terms of Service? Wow. I would not hesitate to disappear from the BN forums completely if that was the case. I'm sure you wouldn't mind that though.

Post Thanks / Like

^ lmao I thought Virabhadra's post was quite funny... I don't necessarily agree, but I'm quite amused.

Anyhoo,

I think the spicy masculine notes in TdH are not bergamot or geranium, as those notes are not spicy at all on their own. I believe the "masculine spice" is a mix of cedar, vetiver and a touch of pepper, cumin and cardomom, or something along those lines. It's more of an amalgamation than a note on its own.

If you'd like to try a fragrance with a little bit of the same "spice" vibe, you might want to try Declaration by Cartier, which was created by the same perfumer (Jean Claude Ellena).

The new Voyage by Hermes is also similar, but in terms of the mineral accords and a bit of the spice, sans vetiver. Voyage, on the other hand, doesn't smell masculine (or feminine for that matter) and comes off quite unisex.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 11th April 2010 at 07:02 PM.

Thank you for bringing this thread back to the topic. Glad to hear not everyone takes things that way.

I haven't tried Declaration yet, but I've heard similar things. Also your point about the cedar, vetiver and pepper makes sense.

By the way, is the Voyage frag a dark/black, short bottle with a leathery/solid topper? If so, I think I have tried it and it smelled great but had really poor sillage. I could be confusing it with something else though.

C'mon that's a bit excessive. He wasn't even implying in a sexual manner.

The spiciness in TdH to me comes from the vetiver and a long lasting peppery note, which serves to act as the "flint note." Atlas cedar is also contributing body to the spice accord.

And L'Aventurier, bergamot itself can be rather spicy in a peppery way, although the presence of the note only lasts rather briefly so bergamot is definitely not responsible for any long lasting spiciness. It's just that bergamot is one of the spiciest citrus notes and I think it's fair to consider it spicy.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, the word "diatribe" is used to reference AGGRESSIVE expression in the English language. You got that from my post? Enough to submit it as a violation of the Terms of Service? Wow. I would not hesitate to disappear from the BN forums completely if that was the case. I'm sure you wouldn't mind that though.
    A diatribe is a long-winded denunciation. It does not imply aggression, certainly not how I meant it.

No, I don't want you to disappear from the forums. In my mind, it is okay to describe your own views and opinions but not okay to ascribe reasons or motives, fancied or real, behind the views and opinions of others.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    C'mon that's a bit excessive. He wasn't even implying in a sexual manner.
    I wasn't even thinking along those lines.

Others have commented that they thought the remarks were humorous. If they are, I must be really dense as I did not take them that way.

Maybe I'm just grumpy today. If so, carry on...
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TwoRoads for acknowledging an obvious misunderstanding. I don't think anything mean-spirited was intended on anybody's part. Once again, Basenoters have made me proud and shown just how civilized we can be. Cheers, fellas. Proud to be a part of this wonderful group of like-minded individuals. On the topic, though, I get both sides of the TdH "argument." I, too, get that little bit of stinky orange but rather enjoy the fragrance. If you REALLY want to get that note, try Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if anyone should be reported it should be Kingpin, Virab is asking for help from fellow basenoters and gets this guy throwing in his negative input.. if he wanted feedback on the fragrance itself he would have asked -- rather he's looking for something similar in style. Aside from the dramatic people blowing things out of proportion, I love TdH.. and haven't quite found anything that can replace it. To me it comes off more of as a perfume than a cologne which would explain its "thickness" and its high price tag. Worth every penny IMO.

What do you guys think of "Sel de Vetiver" by The Different Company? The "Perfumes - A Guide*" book says it's similar to TdH and even formulated in the same year (2006) by the creator of TdH' daughter, Celine Ellena (I excluded the accented "e"s 'cause I don't know an easy way to put those little dashes above them).

I'm off to read the reviews for Sel de Vetiver.

*An excellent book, by the way, for those of you who don't own it! I picked up a copy at Books-a-Million here in Gainesville, FL. Definitely a great supplement to the reviews here, albeit a bit vague at time---the book, not the reviews here.
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 11th April 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Sel de Vetiver is a nice vetiver but I don't really think it's much like TdH. It's lighter, grassier, saltier, far less spicy, and has orange note to speak of (nor benzoin).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    To me it comes off more of as a perfume than a cologne which would explain its "thickness" and its high price tag. Worth every penny IMO.
    The "thickness" description is a good one, to be sure. It has a really nice weight to it which some people describe as "earthy". I take the "earthy" description more as a reference to its weight and not a reference to any soil-like qualities.

Also, yes, as long as I'm allowed to stick around, you guys will find my expressions to be a bit "edgy" I guess, which is my humor coming to the surface. I often laugh at myself rather than try to make others laugh, but it's really just my way of making people cringe and smile at the same time---certainly not meant to outright piss people off. I am glad that the diversity of BNers here can appreciate that dynamic and understand that everyone likes to express elements of individuality without drawing too much attention to themselves in a shallow sense.

Anyway, back to the discussion... The_Cologneist: You pointed out that you haven't found anything that can replace it. That's a really good thing about some perfumes, which is why I do like Terre d'Hermes. I suppose that's why I started this thread. Sometimes TdH can be a bit harsh depending on mood (which actually doesn't seem to be a quality it maintains after the dry-down... by then it actually becomes pretty agreeable, in a temperamental sense), so it would be cool to find a more light-hearted "brother" to it, you know? Perhaps an alternative to replacing it would be to layer it lightly with another scent?
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 11th April 2010 at 09:09 PM.

I've heard that Paul Smith Extreme is that "lighter brother." I can't confirm that though as I've yet to try it (though I do plan on getting a sample when I next order, as I too am looking for a similar scent.)

Others to consider - Montale's Red Vetyver and Gianni Campagna's eponymous scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The spiciness in TdH to me comes from the vetiver and a long lasting peppery note, which serves to act as the "flint note." Atlas cedar is also contributing body to the spice accord.
    What is "Atlas cedar"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All I really get from Terre d'Hermes is citrus for awhile and then lots of Cedar.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

The "thickness" description is a good one, to be sure. It has a really nice weight to it which some people describe as "earthy". I take the "earthy" description more as a reference to its weight and not a reference to any soil-like qualities.

Also, yes, as long as I'm allowed to stick around, you guys will find my expressions to be a bit "edgy" I guess, which is my humor coming to the surface. I often laugh at myself rather than try to make others laugh, but it's really just my way of making people cringe and smile at the same time---certainly not meant to outright piss people off. I am glad that the diversity of BNers here can appreciate that dynamic and understand that everyone likes to express elements of individuality without drawing too much attention to themselves in a shallow sense.

Anyway, back to the discussion... The_Cologneist: You pointed out that you haven't found anything that can replace it. That's a really good thing about some perfumes, which is why I do like Terre d'Hermes. I suppose that's why I started this thread. Sometimes TdH can be a bit harsh depending on mood (which actually doesn't seem to be a quality it maintains after the dry-down... by then it actually becomes pretty agreeable, in a temperamental sense), so it would be cool to find a more light-hearted "brother" to it, you know? Perhaps an alternative to replacing it would be to layer it lightly with another scent?
    I'm actually the same way, with my dry sense of humor, and I've already been attacked several times on BN for it. Back to the topic at hand though -- Indeed it is distinguished, but at the same time a high price for a 1.6 oz bottle really kills me since I often find fragrances on sale. In ways TdH reminds me of Fahrenehit.. Distinguished, unique, high quality, lasts long, projects perfectly, inoffensive, and made with love and care. High quality all around, I actually look at TdH as a modern day Fahrenheit, and I think some years to come TdH will become what Fahrenheit is today. There's always gonna be people that hate it, whether they actually hate the smell or just hate the fact that it has such a fan base and is a big hit -- it is beyond me. I find TdH to be potent all the way through to the end and give it very high praise. Though I will say.. ever since I first tried it, I knew the smell from elsewhere.. I had smelled it before. I still can't grasp it and I probably won't ever remember unless that scent is put back in front of my nose, but it is out there.. and it's inexpensive too. This I know because of my budget back then which was much lower than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Though I will say.. ever since I first tried it, I knew the smell from elsewhere.. I had smelled it before. I still can't grasp it and I probably won't ever remember unless that scent is put back in front of my nose, but it is out there.. and it's inexpensive too. This I know because of my budget back then which was much lower than it is now.
    Yep! The same thing happened to me when I first smelled it. I couldn't place it either---I have a feeling that when this happens (and it happens to a lot of us), it's usually because, throughout our lives and including our childhood, we are exposed to a lot of people, be they family members or family friends, or our friend's family members, etc etc. I think the case is that one or more of those people that we had contact with, however regular that contact was, wore a fragrance of their own. I think once you smell that once or twice, it is firmly placed into your memory (maybe even the subconscious memory) and not necessarily well-filed. By that, I mean it doesn't have a "Scent worn by Jimmy Two Times, Two Times. Brother of best friend's mom who was my first crush. Possible Freudian nurture complex. Blah blah blah." label in your brain's wrinkles.

Anyway. I'm rambling. Looks like this thread is wrapping up. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. As usual, quality info!
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 12th April 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I can't think of a single thing in that post that constitutes being reported.

Post Thanks / Like

May that combo of notes that gives TDH that thick masculine spice , never change when its reformulated !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Do you guys also find your TDH EDT changing after a while?
    Like, turning weaker? I store it well away from the sun, and in stable temperatures....