Code of Conduct

Question A scent like Magnetism for Men, but with more projection ?

Hey guys/gals,

last week I was sampling my vial of Escada Magnetism for Men. I have seen bottles around where I live, so I was pondering going full bottle on this interesting fragrance. I decided, though at the time, that I would hold off. I just do not feel it has good enough projection and that Magnetism will only be leaving me dissapointed.

However, this morning, I sniffed a shirt that I was wearing the last time I sampled Magnetism and it smelled really good. I know the longevity is there, but I suppose on fabric, any scent can last a week.

The best part of Magnetism is the drydown. Sometimes I feel the scent is kinda gaudy, but other times ( most times) I feel the scent as a whole is alluring in a way.

So what I would like to ask you is whether you have come across any scent that shares a similar dry down to Magnetism for Men ?

I would love to hear some recommmendations. Thanks in advance !

Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Default Re: A scent like Magnetism for Men, but with more projection ?

supposedly it's strong as it is. armani code smells similar , fleur du male, opium,pi, bvlgari black, perhaps even joop. check those out and see if they have any similarity and if they work better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    supposedly it's strong as it is. armani code smells similar , fleur du male, opium,pi, bvlgari black, perhaps even joop. check those out and see if they have any similarity and if they work better for you.
    Thanks for the reply David

I can see where you are comming from with Armani Code, but I really think where Magnetism lacks in projection, Code lacks in longevity. I also find Code to be uninteresting and lackluster. Arpege pour Homme is better than Code ( to me) in all ways.

JPG Fleur du male...hmm...I will give this another sampling. My only testing was on a card at the mall.

YSL Opium. No way Jose. I admire this creation, but a) it is not for me b) doesn't remind me of Magnestism in any way c) Opium is a scent that doesn't sit well with me. One of a few YSL's I am not to fond of.

Givenchy Pi ? Get outta town.

Bvlgari Black is another I can see where you are comming from. I do have this in my wardrobe. Although it is not similar to Magnetism for Men, at least enough for me. I find it only works well in the not so warm weather or not so cold weather. Joop! Homme is not for me, although I do see the similarities ( in a way) as well.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

no problem man. i hope i helped out a bit.

You can try Jacomo Rouge but I don't think there is anything similar enough, and that spraying more Magnetism would be my "solution."

get a body butter or oil that would help with the projection

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    You can try Jacomo Rouge but I don't think there is anything similar enough, and that spraying more Magnetism would be my "solution."
    Thanks Bigsly. I have a sample of Jacomo Rouge and find it closer to JPG Le Male or even a semi gourmand fragrance than Magnetism. I don't really liket to wear Jacomo Rouge either. My only SotD with it left me quite dissapointed. I'm actually quite surprised at how close the smell Rouge is to another Jacomo fragrance...Ambro. I do feel Ambro lasts better than Rouge, however.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

In a strange way the drydown of APOM homme reminds me a *bit* of Magentism, as both seem to feature a strong tolu balsam note in their amber accord during their drydown. Magnetism is more grapey, though.

If it's the grape elements you want, you could check out Romance Silver for Men, although I find it to be a completely different scent in regards to weight, density, etc.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thanks SoS. I have never tried anything from Maison Francis Kurkdjian , but will seek this one out....or at least read up more on it.

I know that you are pretty high on Romance Silver lately. For some reason, I dismissed it a couple of years ago as just too "light". I picked up Romance Men instead . Too bad, because I think Romance Silver would still be with me today had I chosen it. I'll head to a department shop next weekend to sample it again

More HERE
    Please PM me !

More projection, really? Magnetism is a stronger and spicier version of Armani Code already, I can't do more than one spray of this on myself. I used to wear this a lot but it's really quite overpowering. When I would wear it many of my friends would insult me for putting too much on even when I was only wearing one spray. I guess it isn't a good scent to wear in Florida. Perhaps try applying this one to the chest when your shirt is on, it will project significantly more than the wrists and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    More projection, really? Magnetism is a stronger and spicier version of Armani Code already, I can't do more than one spray of this on myself. I used to wear this a lot but it's really quite overpowering. When I would wear it many of my friends would insult me for putting too much on even when I was only wearing one spray. I guess it isn't a good scent to wear in Florida. Perhaps try applying this one to the chest when your shirt is on, it will project significantly more than the wrists and neck.
    Perhaps climate makes a difference in regards to Magnetism. I have not sampled it in hot or really warm weather. 12 Degrees Cel was the warmest I tried it in.

Also, I do find the opening notes somewhat harsh and strong. But after one hour it dries down to a very nice sensual amber sent. And it wears very close to the skin on me.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I've worn Magnetism for a few years, and I've learned that it's a deceptive scent. Like you, Surfacing, I always had thought that it had poor projection and longevity. I used to douse myself with it. But other people told me they could smell it on me about 8 to 10 feet away, several hours after I applied it, even though I could barely smell it at all. After hearing that, I went back to normal sized applications, and even my wife told me then that she could still smell it a few feet away from me, four or five hours after I put it on, and I still could barely smell it. Magnetism, I think because of its low-hum deep amber or vanilla base notes, has deceptively huge sillage. I easily get olfactory fatigue with scents that have "low pitched", rich deep base notes like this, so I always have to be careful with applying these. This may be the case with you.

Azzaro Pour Homme is another that I find is deceptively strong, in this same way.

I must be the odd man out, but I do not think Code smells like Magnetism. That's odd to see that comparison. Hmm... >.>
    Last edited by Geikamir; 12th April 2010 at 07:30 PM.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

^ I agree with you. Code ≠ Magnetism.

And unfortunately, I can't think of anything that really smells like Magnetism. It is a surprisingly unique scent. Others are correct in saying that it has deceptively strong sillage. Try spraying it somewhere further from your nose (stomach) to prevent olfactory fatigue.

Also - and I know you already know this, but - remember to moisturize with an unscented lotion! This can work wonders with the sillage and longevity of any scent!!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th April 2010 at 07:42 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Yeah, I used to own it. I like the general smell of it (kind of like a soda smell) unfortunately it was actually too strong for me and the sweet smell became cloying.

I actually would prefer a watered down version of it, lol.

Also, I agree. I feel this is a very unique smell. I can't think of anything similar.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I've worn Magnetism for a few years, and I've learned that it's a deceptive scent. Like you, Surfacing, I always had thought that it had poor projection and longevity. I used to douse myself with it. But other people told me they could smell it on me about 8 to 10 feet away, several hours after I applied it, even though I could barely smell it at all. After hearing that, I went back to normal sized applications, and even my wife told me then that she could still smell it a few feet away from me, four or five hours after I put it on, and I still could barely smell it. Magnetism, I think because of its low-hum deep amber or vanilla base notes, has deceptively huge sillage. I easily get olfactory fatigue with scents that have "low pitched", rich deep base notes like this, so I always have to be careful with applying these.....
    This was quite insightful. Thanks Shamu. I will think about this for sure. Most times I want to smell my fragrances throughout the day, but perhaps I would be okay with an exception to Magentism. I definetly do not want to be known as "the cologne guy". "low pitched"....something to consider for sure.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ^ I agree with you. Code ≠ Magnetism.

And unfortunately, I can't think of anything that really smells like Magnetism. It is a surprisingly unique scent. Others are correct in saying that it has deceptively strong sillage. Try spraying it somewhere further from your nose (stomach) to prevent olfactory fatigue.

Also - and I know you already know this, but - remember to moisturize with an unscented lotion! This can work wonders with the sillage and longevity of any scent!!
    Good of you to bring up the lotion. I do know about it, but I just do not "use" it. I'm kinda lazy and feel that adding one more thing to do in the morning will be a "hassle". But I will try my sample of magnestism over unscented lotion.

Thanks LJ

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I can't think of anything that really smells like Magnetism. It is a surprisingly unique scent.
    Agree.

This is really good advice. I've been doing this for about six months diligently every day, and I do notice that at least longevity increases a lot, if not sillage. The key is that you do it every day. You may not notice any difference in longevity or sillage for several weeks, but it does work. Skin can take a really long time to get used to being moisturized. I put on Aveeno because my skin is usually dry, not to improve fragrance performance, but I have definitely noticed improvement with the fragrances I wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    Yeah, I used to own it. I like the general smell of it (kind of like a soda smell) unfortunately it was actually too strong for me and the sweet smell became cloying.

I actually would prefer a watered down version of it, lol.

Also, I agree. I feel this is a very unique smell. I can't think of anything similar.
    Grape soda!! That's it. The scent itself I don't really care for. It's too synthetic smelling and cloying, reminds Code but is made the same way Dunhill Desire is.. impacted if you will. Kind of hard to explain but a lot of it is where I live, this stuff projects like crazy to me, and FL weather is just gonna make it project more.

As others have stated though -- factory fatigue, the nose playing tricks on the mind. Perhaps ask others if they can smell it on you, spray it away from your nose as suggested and another great suggestion to use an unscented lotion! This will allow for a slower absorption of the cologne. Jojoba oil is said to work miracles too. All this may seem like kind of a hassle.. but hey if it does the trick for a fragrance you truly adore, then go with it.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 13th April 2010 at 02:04 AM.

I find Ghost Man reminds me a lot of Magnetism. It seemed a bit more "powerful" on me, though it lasted roughly the same time.

Edit: Way to notice dates, Slamwich.
    Last edited by Slamwich; 22nd November 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: So I can type anything here and it shows up?

Diesel Zero Plus could very well be Magnetism amped up to max. just a reference. i dont see a similarity.

From what I'm remembering of Magnetism, John Varvatos (original) seems to come from the same stock. It has a fruity-oriental vibe (in this case fig and something sweet) and finishes with an amber and leathery base. While Magnetism's base is more of a tolu balsam, it also has its fair dose of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamwich View Post
    I find Ghost Man reminds me a lot of Magnetism. It seemed a bit more "powerful" on me, though it lasted roughly the same time.

Edit: Way to notice dates, Slamwich.
    LOL, no worries about the thread bump. At least it was a thread bump with a purpose. Most bumps here on the Male Forum are so random it's not even funny.

I actually have got a bottle of Magnestism since. I just really like it. Like alot of others mentioned, it is quite unique. I will certainly look into Ghost Man, which I can find at a shop.

Thanks for the rec Slamwich

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    From what I'm remembering of Magnetism, John Varvatos (original) seems to come from the same stock. It has a fruity-oriental vibe (in this case fig and something sweet) and finishes with an amber and leathery base. While Magnetism's base is more of a tolu balsam, it also has its fair dose of leather.
    I don't get the connection in smell with JV, other than they are both youthful and contemporary scents. Also, both sensual in a way.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

What about Joop! Nightflight? Kind of in the same family, although not that similar.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Nothing really smells/reminds me of Magnetism, its on a pedestal of its own. I LOVE the GRAPE smell!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    LOL, no worries about the thread bump. At least it was a thread bump with a purpose. Most bumps here on the Male Forum are so random it's not even funny.

I actually have got a bottle of Magnestism since. I just really like it. Like alot of others mentioned, it is quite unique. I will certainly look into Ghost Man, which I can find at a shop.

Thanks for the rec Slamwich

I don't get the connection in smell with JV, other than they are both youthful and contemporary scents. Also, both sensual in a way.

I only meant to say that they are definitely from a similar style...I think it's safe to say that nothing out there smells even remotely like Magnetism, with its signature grape cola aroma and sensual base. If you wanna talk about smells, Opium Pour Homme, after the sparkling top notes subside, has that grape cola-like aroma due to its oriental spices and blackcurrant note. This aroma has more of an out-dated feel in Opium, where as Magnetism feels super modern. I would say Opium's the only thing to come close and it has both incredible sillage and longevity.

Ever try "Gucci Eau de Parfum"?
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Romance Silver has some grape notes too, but is more sheer and fresh rather than sweet and sensual like Magnetism. Memoir Woman might be the closest to Magnetism for Men, but it's altogether deeper, richer, smokier, and better.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

YSL Elle and Elle Intense are similar!

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    I only meant to say that they are definitely from a similar style....
    I see what you mean now.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Cerruti 1881 Black might do the trick and Roberto Cavalli Black too.

does such a thing even exist?

And about Silver Scent or Silver Scent Intense. The first one is like these green grapes. Or did you found yet?

Magnetism projects like a fog light on me. It lasts longer on me than big boys like Allure Homme and Joop! Jump.

Magnetism is a sillage beast on my skin with great longevity, it smells so unique and unlike anything I've ever tried. It's a shame it's Been discontinued, I just bought a huge bottle....hopefully it's available for several years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Magnetism is a sillage beast on my skin with great longevity, it smells so unique and unlike anything I've ever tried. It's a shame it's Been discontinued, I just bought a huge bottle....hopefully it's available for several years to come.
    Are you sure it had been discontinued ? In that case, I will pick up a large bottlle. Its good enough, regardless of wearing close to the skin.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Are you sure it had been discontinued ? In that case, I will pick up a large bottlle. Its good enough, regardless of wearing close to the skin.
    I have to agree on Magnetism, it is also a Sillage beast on myself as well (and my skin is most hated place for fragrances). Do you have a winners close by? I got my bottle there for a song.

Really nice fragrance though!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I have to agree on Magnetism, it is also a Sillage beast on myself as well (and my skin is most hated place for fragrances). Do you have a winners close by? I got my bottle there for a song.

Really nice fragrance though!
    Perhaps its just my sense of smell then In any event, I do still like Magnetism. I do have a Winners close by too, although have not seen Magnetism there in about a year.

More HERE
    Please PM me !