Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Chanel. Only two.

There are only two Chanel fragrances that I find work for me so far. Pre-reformulated Chanel 19 and one that I find amazing, and that is Bois des Iles.
    Based on this revelation are there any others I should try? Please note that I detest Chanel #5.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 2nd April 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Default Re: Chanel. Only two.

My personal faves are 31 Rue Cambon and Coco...but I don't think they're for you. I do think you should give Cristalle a try - the original. Possibly Sycomore as well.

Sur la Plage

Definitely check out Cristalle and Coco (I prefer the EDP of both). Also Coromandel.

Did you try and detest Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere?
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd April 2010 at 06:06 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

+2 on Sycomore.
    Last edited by Dennard; 2nd April 2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: misspelling.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Please note that I detest Chanel #5.
    That's borderline blasphemy ... be mindfull of your words!

No. 19 stands pretty much alone in the Chanel frag line,
    but anyway, try out Coco Mademoiselle.
    I, myself, am dying to try out Cuir de Russie, which should
    fit men as well as women!

Mademoiselle and Sycomore (have the seasons covered then.) :-)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

Sycomore is worth a try. Although it's fairly linear. It's a powerful dry wood you may like more than I did. It may be more suited to men.
    Cuir de Russie is a beautiful floral leather that is just wonderful as it constantly changes. The extrait is best. Sometimes I give this a spritz (next to) of Montale Lime Oud and it gives the leather a boost away from the floral.
    Coromandel is a dry, light patchouli, which is also pleasant but fairly linear.
    #19 in the extrait is very nice, if you've ever tried it, you will be very spoiled by it.

Seconding vintage Crystalle... The modern stuff has been murderized and smells totally different.

Given your love of soft, creamy scents I think you and Coromandel would really get along, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 2nd April 2010 at 07:33 PM.

For me, the extrait of Cuir de Russie (very much a unisex) and also the Coco Mademoiselle in the EDP and the eau scintillante gel.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

There is only one and it bears the number 22.

Gardenia and Eau Premiere are also really tasty, but.... Let's just say, Tesla, that 22 is my Mitsouko.

I like No. 5 as well, but I didn't really get it until I tried EP (which I do prefer). So you might try EP, which is much lighter on the aldehydes (and if that is your aversion, you wouldn't like 22 at all).

I used to not like No. 5 either, but now enjoy it in the EDT formulation (can't stand the EDP). I also love vintage No. 19 and Bois des Iles. I was a fan of Coco from long ago (before I officially became addicted to fragrance), and like that only in the EDP formulation. I also surprised myself by liking Beige.

I've tried, but don't love, Cristalle, Gardenia, Allure, Chance, and Coco Mademoiselle (although Allure smells amazing on a friend of mine whose skin eats fragrances.)

I vacillate on 31 Rue Cambon and Cuir de Russie. Some days I love them others they don't float my boat.

I also hate with a passion No5, infact for years I actually thought I could not wear aldehydes because of it.
    Yes I can it seems.

Well Cuir de Russie is a must to try. Now I do own the parfum. But CdR is like an old well worn leather jacket soft and over years has picked up hints of herbs and floral notes from fragrances. It is gentle but oh so beautiful, not in your face leather.

I would say Coco as well and No22 are ones to try. As I said I cannot wear No5 which turns into some strange plastic jasmin thing. But No22 though aldehydic and white floral is far superior.

Coromandel is patchouli and beautiful, so yes from me on that one.
    DONNA

I have to agree with Sunny here. #22 is #1 for me too.

Chanel No 19 (vintage) and Cuir de Russie are my absolute favourite Chanels. They are quite distinctive, but transform into a kind of second skin after a while.

I really like No.22, Cuir de Russie, No.19 and Bois des Iles. I was quite surprised that I liked No.22 so much. It may be a big aldehydic floral, but in spirit I think it is quite close to Bois des Iles. There's something soft and luxrious about Ernest Beaux's work that makes me want to purr

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    There are only two Chanel fragrances that I find work for me so far. Pre-reformulated Chanel 19 and one that I find amazing, and that is Bois des Iles.
    Based on this revelation are there any others I should try? Please note that I detest Chanel #5.
    I hate No.5 too! But when i write that here i usually end with " now running for cover"
    But recently tested No5 Eau Premiere and really loved it. Go figure.

I was at the Chanel Boutique in Las Vegas yesterday- here are the notes i wrote on the scent cards as I sniffed- they may or may not be helpful:

Beige- gentle flowery
    Cuir de russie- excellent Deep and masculine but wearable by a woman (in other words unisex)
    Coromandel- excellent, my first pick
    No 18 - not for me, weird topnotes
    No 22- flowery, powdery (most like orig #5)
    Sycomore- VERY woodsy, unisex

Edited to add: also sniffed Bois des Iles and 31 Rue cambon but had nose fatigue by then, so no notes written, In my drobe LOVE Coco, don't like Coco Mademoiselle, like #19, love Cristalle.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 4th April 2010 at 02:47 AM.

I can't argue with any of the suggestions, but am adding Bel Respiro to the mix. It is whisper light and practically perfect.

Hillaire

The only Chanel I am crazy for is vintage Cristalle.
    I also like old 19, Rue de Cambon, and Coco Mademoiselle.
    All the others I could live without.

Coco EDP and Pour Monsieur all the way...
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'll add my vote to Cuir de Russie, Cristalle, Coco EDP and Sycamore. I don't enjoy No.5 EDT but the parfum is another animal altogether...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 4th April 2010 at 03:53 PM.

I like almost all Chanels, with the exception of Chance in all its incarnations (the latest one would be fine if I were 14 years old), Coco Mdml (although I like the extrait), and Allure, the femenine version.

Another vote for Bel Respiro.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 4th April 2010 at 07:09 PM.
    Evenstar

I wonder if there's something wrong with me, but I didn't like Sycomore at all. There's no question it's of very high quality, but I find the smoky note too intense and the whole things smells strangely minty to me to the point where it spoils the vetiver effect.

What have they done to Chanel no 19? It seems no one likes the new (slimer green) version... everyone has been voting for "vintage" no. 19?

Bois des Iles is definitely the winner, IMHO.
    Last edited by granola357; 5th April 2010 at 05:06 AM.

+1 vote for Coromandel. A real stand-out cocoa-like patchouli oriental.

also

+1 vote for Cuir de Russie. I bought it for my girlfriend, but I would gladly wear it myself if she ended up not liking it. As it is, she loves it and wears it often...and it smells great.
    Last edited by andylama; 5th April 2010 at 05:14 AM.

N_Tesla, I can't remember what your feelings are regarding patchouli, but I definitely +1 Coromandel. I prefer it over Borneo 1834, its sort-of scent twin, which is just too chocolate laden for me. 28 Rue La Pausa is another fine choice.

Actually, all of the scents in the Les Exclusifs line are outstanding; it would be hard to choose one above the rest. It's a shame they're not offered in smaller sized bottles...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Blog Entries

I am wearing Vintage Chanel #19 today and it is VERY nice. My favorite still is Bois des Iles though. It is so smooth. I am going to have to get some samples of the other Chanels especially Coramandel and Cristalle.

As many as I like in the Chanel line, thus far my two favorites are No. 19 and Bel Respiro. Love the greens! As much as I wanted to love Sycomore, after a few minutes it just smelled like pot on me.

Basenotes Institution

I love Chanel No.5,No.19 ,Cuir de Russie. Cristalle is so so to me.
    D- I am interested to know why you detest No.5 ?
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th April 2010 at 12:33 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

OK ladies and gentlemen, I ordered the Chanel Cristalle and it will be here on Friday. Stand by for my reaction to this buy based on your suggestions.