Code of Conduct

Default I like Cool Water but not as a scent I want to smell like, would I like GIT?

CW comes off as a green soapy fresh scent much like Mugler Cologne to me (not as strong though). As I do think they smell great they aren't something I am looking for in a cologne. So my question is would I like GIT as a scent to wear?

Default Re: I like Cool Water but not as a scent I want to smell like, would I like GIT?

No.

Default Re: I like Cool Water but not as a scent I want to smell like, would I like GIT?

No.

Maybe.

Probably not, they are quite similar upon first comparison. Maybe get samples of GIT, Chez Bond and Cool Water and see which one you prefer?
    Last edited by Anthony87; 12th April 2010 at 04:07 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Track down some Garrigue by MPG as well if you want another good option in this category....

no.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Tough question, but i would think you would not, especially at the price.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I can`t think of enyone that don`t like GIT. But if this is not your type of scent, you will probably not wear it. GIT is probably the most natural smelling fragrance I`ve tried.

No. If you don't like Cool Water you will not like GIT, period. People argue about whether they're really "the same", but they are so close together in scent space that the chance of your reacting to them differently is just about nil. (I would love to be proven wrong, though -- that would be really interesting!)

As for the post above, I do not like GIT. I think I smell something in there that many people do not. It's actively unpleasant for me.

Only one way to know...
    ...go to your nearest Creed retailer and test it.
    Try one arm with just a few sprays, the other arm with 10 sprays.
    spray some on an item of fabric also, to smell in the following days.

No way.

No.

No. They smell identical for the most part. People just have a preference for GIT coz its niche and its "slightly" different.

Blog Entries

I honestly believe that if someone sprayed Cool Water on one of my arms and GIT on the other with me blindfolded, I could not tell you which was which. They are that similar. So my answer is "No" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    I do not like GIT. I think I smell something in there that many people do not. It's actively unpleasant for me.
    I have the same experience.. for whatever reason I get extremely nauseous with either Cool Water or GIT.

Probably not, while GIT doesn't really smell like CW.. it's still the closest comparable fragrance.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks they smell quite a bit different about 30 minutes after application.

Must be my chemistry, although my ex-girlfriend was able to tell the difference also.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

In a nutshell, yes, you would like it.

GIT is pretty much Cool Water without that cologne-ish vibe, if you get what I'm saying.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 13th April 2010 at 01:52 AM.

CW - GIT - Garigue are almost identical to my nose.

Although they are similar, I can see (outside of price) how someone would not like Coolwater but like GIT

Though I don't hate Cool Water, I think it's a bit dull and I don't wear it. Green Irish Tweed, on the other hand, is an extraordinary fragrance; it does smell similar to Cool Water, but it's a Lamborghini Murcielago compared to the Toyota Camry that is Cool Water. It's got a sparkling complexity that Cool Water lacks.

I don't wear Cool Water, but I do wear Green Irish Tweed.
    Last edited by shamu1; 13th April 2010 at 04:20 AM.

God i'm sick of the Cool Water connection to GIT.

they aren't even close. not the same league, not the same ballpark, not even the same freakin sport.

Cool Water = cheap, alcoholic Macy's cologne

Green Irish Tweed = master perfumery

it's like people constantly comparing the Hyundai Sonata with a Mercedes Benz just because they kinda look alike. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    I honestly believe that if someone sprayed Cool Water on one of my arms and GIT on the other with me blindfolded, I could not tell you which was which. They are that similar. So my answer is "No" as well.

The general overall consensus is that these are probably two of these most similar frags in the ongoing search for a cheaper version of Xxxxxxxx.

There are debates about quality, longevity and such, but if you don't like Cool Water overall, I don't see that you would like GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I can`t think of enyone that don`t like GIT. But if this is not your type of scent, you will probably not wear it. GIT is probably the most natural smelling fragrance I`ve tried.
    I think it's a 5-Star fragrance, but I don't like it. Weird huh?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    No. They smell identical for the most part. People just have a preference for GIT coz its niche and its "slightly" different.
    Wrong. As I said in the previous post, I think GIT is a 5-star fragrance because it's beautifully composed, smells buttery smooth, has seamless transitions, smells natural, and attractive. Yet, I don't care for personally. Cool Water, I rate as a 1-star fragrance, because it's noxiously chemical, smells haphazardly put together, and is a clear and blatant rip off of the vastly superior predecessor, GIT. And I don't like it either. Nothing to do with niche vs. designer, it has to do with one being good and the other being terrible.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post

they aren't even close. not the same league, not the same ballpark, not even the same freakin sport.

it's like people constantly comparing the Hyundai Sonata with a Mercedes Benz just because they kinda look alike. Please.
    They are actually very alike. My dad owns Cool Water and I have a small bottle of Green Irish Tweed and the differences are so small it's hardly noticeable. Cool Water is a bit stronger with a slightly sweeter synthetic aquatic vibe to it while GIT is less potent and slightly more natural, less sweet and more green. GIT is a little better but not worth the price difference. On someone's skin you or someone else wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

On my body, I burn through the more synthetic notes of Cool Water and leave with a baser, milder smell than most have described in this thread. Green Irish Tweed, the ambergris makes for all of the difference on me.

I actually have both, wear both; travel with GIT more though. I'm willing to try Garrigue by MPG now though since I was not aware of it. I've tried Chez Bond; not willing to pay MORE for it than GIT.

But to the OP, I'd say no. Don't get GIT if you don't like Cool Water. They start way too similar on most/for most.
    Last edited by gerbick; 13th April 2010 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post

Well, actually.. since you put it that way. The Sonata is considered a low end luxury sedan which has been in competitions with lower end Mercedes sedans, in certain magazines (Car & Drive, Motortrend) As it pertains to the argument about Cool Water and GIT, they are in the same category.. both of these are green fragrances. Cool water is arguably placed in many categories though. The openings are similar, but GIT changes a bit after that. To say they are world's apart might be an exaggeration. Cool Water is simply the closest comparable scent to GIT, because of such similar openings. I wouldn't quite say Cool Water is cheap especially if its sold at Macy's -- cheap compared to GIT is acceptable. As for "alcoholic" well aren't all colognes (or EDT's) 90+% alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Cool Water...is a clear and blatant rip off of the vastly superior predecessor, GIT.
    I had always assumed that GIT was a clone of Cool Water, but according to the BN database, you're absolutely right: GIT in 1985, Cool Water in 1988.

Interesting that Cool Water always gets the credit for being "the scent that launched a thousand ships", given the similarity. They are both Pierre Bourdon creations.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 14th April 2010 at 12:23 AM.

I guess it is to be decided only once you extensively tested GIT. Anyway, the weird thing with me is that, while I cannot stand Cool Water, and I do detect some similarities with GIT, I just love the latter (and no, not because of the price or the snobbery effect, it is rather because, to my note, GIT comes of as more complex and more smooth than Cool Water)

I had always assumed that GIT was a clone of Cool Water, but according to the BN database, you're absolutely right: GIT in 1985, Cool Water in 1988.

Interesting that Cool Water always get the credit for being "the scent that launched a thousand ships", given the similarity. They are both Pierre Bourdon creations.
    Lol, yep man. This is a major point IMO. I think, as the story goes, Pierre Bourdon created GIT, and then on a much smaller budget, attempted to recreate it for the masses in Cool Water. Now, I may be paraphrasing this a bit, but I think that's how it went.

Interesting that Cool Water always get the credit for being "the scent that launched a thousand ships", given the similarity. They are both Pierre Bourdon creations.
    D'OH! GIT came out in '85. I have read that Bourdon created GIT, as well as Cool Water and I wouldn't be surprised. But I undertand Creed's company line is that Oliver created it.

I remain convinced that whoever created GIT, it was inspired by Grey Flannel. Something with the violets and grey cistus...
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th April 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    On my body, I burn through the more synthetic notes of Cool Water and leave with a baser, milder smell than most have described in this thread. Green Irish Tweed, the ambergris makes for all of the difference on me.

I actually have both, wear both; travel with GIT more though. I'm willing to try Garrigue by MPG now though since I was not aware of it. I've tried Chez Bond; not willing to pay MORE for it than GIT.

But to the OP, I'd say no. Don't get GIT if you don't like Cool Water. They start way too similar on most/for most.
    Don't get your hopes up expecting something exactly the same with Garrigue. It's good, very good actually, and I guess I sort of understand putting it in the same genre as GIT and Cool Water, but they are significantly different.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 14th April 2010 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I remain convinced that whoever created GIT, it was inspired by Grey Flannel. Something with the violets and grey cistus...
    Quite possibly. Luca Turin diagnoses the main components in GIT as ambroxan, dihydromyrcenol, and octin esters, adding that the latter are responsible for the "green violet leaf" note. He doesn't draw an explicit connection, but I believe Grey Flannel is based on violet leaf. Also in GIT, according to LT: "a touch of apple up top and sandalwood below."
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 14th April 2010 at 12:28 AM.

GIT is a wonderful smell, better smelling than cw in my humble opinion. But, GIT only lasts about four hours on my skin. I actually carry a small decant with me to re-apply later in the day.

While I agree that GIT & Cool Water don't smell that much alike, they are from the same fragrance family, and they would serve the same purpose in someone's wardrobe... Since you (the o.p.) already stated that you like CW but "it isn't what you are looking for in a cologne", I would have to think that you would have similar feelings towards GIT. GIT is certainly worth testing, but I think you started this thread with the thought of a possible blind buy... I would strongly recommend against that, as I think there is a high probability that you'll end up making a mistake (at 10x the price of CW)...

probably not

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    Then you should go back to smelling Brut. I don't care for either of the two much, but they're worlds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    They are actually very alike. My dad owns Cool Water and I have a small bottle of Green Irish Tweed and the differences are so small it's hardly noticeable. Cool Water is a bit stronger with a slightly sweeter synthetic aquatic vibe to it while GIT is less potent and slightly more natural, less sweet and more green. GIT is a little better but not worth the price difference. On someone's skin you or someone else wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I guess some of us have much different standards when it comes to fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Well, actually.. since you put it that way. The Sonata is considered a low end luxury sedan which has been in competitions with lower end Mercedes sedans, in certain magazines (Car & Drive, Motortrend) As it pertains to the argument about Cool Water and GIT, they are in the same category.. both of these are green fragrances. Cool water is arguably placed in many categories though. The openings are similar, but GIT changes a bit after that. To say they are world's apart might be an exaggeration. Cool Water is simply the closest comparable scent to GIT, because of such similar openings. I wouldn't quite say Cool Water is cheap especially if its sold at Macy's -- cheap compared to GIT is acceptable. As for "alcoholic" well aren't all colognes (or EDT's) 90+% alcohol?

I guess some of us have much different standards when it comes to fragrance.