Code of Conduct

Default Blind Buy Monsieur Balmain

So I just sold my AdP Colonia Assoluta and bought Monsieur Balmain EDT by Pierre Balmain after researching the following:

• Nina Ricci's Signoricci
    • YSL Live Jazz
    • Paco XS
    • Guerlain Vetiver
    • Penhaligon's Castile

It made a lot of people's TOP-3 Lists for summer frags so I thought I'd try a blind buy. Also, a lot of the more experienced reviewers here weighed in positively so I'm excited about trying this one out. I need a good summer scent! I may even get another one just to have another option. Any suggestions either from the list above or otherwise?

Any Monsieur Balmain wearers getting compliments yet this spring?

Default Re: Blind Buy Monsieur Balmain

You wanted a fresh, elegant, long lasting citrus scent suitable for a early 20 year old, right?

If you haven't, you should give Versace Pour Homme a wearing, not just a card sniff as that will not do it justice at all, with an open mind. It's a distant cousin of Allure Homme Sport and even less so Acqua Di Gio, and is more 'grown up' and elegant than either. I've got a thread with my more detailed thoughts on it here, if you're at all interested: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/218...al-Impressions
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I recently purchased Monsieur Balmain from a Basenote member. After sampling this last year, I finally managed to get hold of a bottle, which I have been told is now discontinued. I'm more than happy with this, lovely Citrus and spice and long lasting for a citrus based scent.
    Other long lasting citrus I would suggest are Limone di Sicilia from i Profumi di Firenze, Din Dan from Lost March and Mediterraneo from Carthusia.

I think Msr. Balmain is pretty low-risk as a blind buy. It 's usually nicely priced and it's an appealing scent on many levels. The lemony notes in are crystal-clear and realistic and the supporting base is woody and elegant. I know you are looking for a dependable summer fragrance, which it is - but Msr. Balmain is actually very good also in cooler weather, imo, so add "versatile" to its list of attributes.

Great feedback all!

@SculptureOfSoul: I actually quite like Versace Pour Homme but after smelling it in the store multiple times always worried that people would confuse it with Acqua Di Gio (which I cannot stand as it is so over-used.) I'll have to give it a sample wear and see what I think.

Glad you picked up a bottle. I like this scent a lot - very refreshing and lemony.

Second day wearing it. So far I'm pretty impressed!

It's a very good lemon scent, especially because it's suitable all year round. The sandalwood in it gives it a dirty, woody edge that in turn gives the fragrance some weight and nails down the lemon note for hours. This is why I think it is suitable in cold weather, as well as the summer. Most citrus frags don't have enough oomph to withstand cold weather. Monsieur Balmain does.

^ Agreed. Also, at 22 years old I don't feel the scent (even though it's old) doesn't tread into "old man smell" territory.

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    ^ Agreed. Also, at 22 years old I don't feel the scent (even though it's old) doesn't tread into "old man smell" territory.
    Oh, God no. This one of those scents that defines what a classic is, and it knows no age or gender boundaries. Plus, you can show off your good taste by wearing it often.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Oh, God no. This one of those scents that defines what a classic is, and it knows no age or gender boundaries. Plus, you can show off your good taste by wearing it often.
    You're damn right I can (and will).

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I recently purchased Monsieur Balmain from a Basenote member. After sampling this last year, I finally managed to get hold of a bottle, which I have been told is now discontinued. I'm more than happy with this, lovely Citrus and spice and long lasting for a citrus based scent.
    Other long lasting citrus I would suggest are Limone di Sicilia from i Profumi di Firenze, Din Dan from Lost March and Mediterraneo from Carthusia.
    Is this the Monsieur Balmain in the tall lemon coloured bottle with the name in script? If so, far from being discontinued it has just gone on sale in Selfridges...

If it's just gone on sale in Selfridges that's great news, I'll know where to restock when my bottle runs out. I was told by numerous shops in America, the UK and two in Germany that this had been discontinued and they were no longer selling it, so it just goes to show you how little some of the so called stockists actually do know.

I'm not particularly impressed by Monsieur Balmain, mainly because it's a straight up lemon scent. The only good thing is that it doesn't smell synthetic like you're wearing Pledge.

I was not impressed either. Somewhere between a light lemon cologne (the top), and the heavy oppressive lemon-stuffed shirt of Boucheron (the base). I could see how some of today's youth might find it old man-ish, though to me it's only borderline at most.

OK, well, if it smells like lemons it's a lead pipe cynch I will be getting it. I have Acqua di Parma Colonia and R&G Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille EDC, so I will be adding a third lemon accord. Hope I can find it...
    jd
    “Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Its definitely a nice scent, just not something I think I'll finish quickly.

I've still got a 99.99% full bottle if anyone's interested - $25 USPS Priority shipping included (yes moderators, I do have it listed underneath "items for sale" lol)