Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes

News from Now Smell This:

Andy Tauer of Tauer Perfumes will be making a public appearance at Scent Bar (the brick ‘n mortar arm of Luckyscent) in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 17 from 1 to 4 pm for the US debut of his new fragrance, Orange Star.

A rich citrus fragrance with a clean orange flower in its heart.

The natural essential oils of clementine and red mandarine render the fragrance all fresh and natural, and add to the unique vitality of the head notes.

The citrus notes give room to lemongrass essential oil: With its unique hesperidic earthiness it bridges to the heart of the fragrance. There, a clean orange flower chord is central, with a hint of translucent violet flowers that support the vibrant and elegant heart notes.

The base of the fragrance mirrors the vibrancy and clean lightness of the heart. The body of the fragrance is centered on elegant ambergris, with a hint of soft woods. It plays with a fine vanilla line, a hint of patchouli and is enriched with a drop of a natural resin from cistus, known as Ambreine.

A new fragrance from Tauer is always a reason to celebrate IMO.

Default Re: Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes

Normally this note pyramid wouldn't appeal to me, but given it's a Tauer, I'll definitely be interested in trying this. I hope the lemongrass note isn't too dominant, though.

I spent all winter wanting to smell of clementines... I'm looking forward to this.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

"It plays with a fine vanilla line..."

Shouldn't this be: "It tantalizes the wearer with wisps of vanilla," or something like that? What they wrote sounds like somebody tried to finger paint with it !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th April 2010 at 05:47 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I have a silly question. Is 'orange flower' the same as 'orange blossom'?

I cant wait to try it .....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have a silly question. Is 'orange flower' the same as 'orange blossom'?
    I think so, Mike.
    In his blog or somewhere else he has mentioned 'Orangenblüte' which is the German term for (French) 'Fleur d'Orange'. Orange blossom is the the correct translation of it, but I can see why many people would translate this to orange flower, like (someone did for) Robin in Now Smell This .
    Last edited by narcus; 12th April 2010 at 05:24 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Need to get a "sample pack" of M. Tauer's scents. What I have smelled and often wear I really like a lot. Think his L' air du desert Marocain is genius.
    Last edited by fraddicted; 12th April 2010 at 10:30 PM.

On a major orange blossom and citrus kick right now. Honestly, I hope the vanilla is TONED DOWN. It's amazing how I go through phases, but while I was all for vanilla only a couple months ago, I want it as far away as possible right now. Granted, I've only tried (own) L'air, from reading tons of stuff about Andy, I get the impression that the rest of his work is rather heavy handed, leaning towards the oriental side of the fragrance realm. I'm intrigued to see what he can do with something lighter, and hope he keeps the sweets and spices far away from this.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

This sounds good. I hope he keeps the spice load down this time. That's been a problem for me with the last two releases of his.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by PB101 View Post
    This sounds good. I hope he keeps the spice load down this time. That's been a problem for me with the last two releases of his.
    And I hope this isn't too sweet, some fragrances wtih Vanilla make me go into sugar shock.
    Last edited by Ron199; 13th April 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Just for those interested, luckyscent has it up for pre-order. It's in the new style bottle, but the older ones are all still in the old style bottle. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the price is 120$.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ange_Star.html
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Just for those interested, luckyscent has it up for pre-order. It's in the new style bottle, but the older ones are all still in the old style bottle. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the price is 120$.

Thought that would happen. Makes me like the old bottles even better. This better be a great fargrance, or It's bye bye Mr. Tauer!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I'm really digging these new bottles. Really classy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post

Thanks for posting this. Considering the fact that it's a complete redesign of the packaging, I was bracing myself for a larger price increase. I'm pleasantly surprised, and I can't wait to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Considering the fact that it's a complete redesign of the packaging, I was bracing myself for a larger price increase. I'm pleasantly surprised, and I can't wait to try it.
    I completely agree. In the current market, this price is pretty standard fare. His older fragrances had originally (maybe less at some point?) been 90$, then 95$ (I got my bottle at this price back in 2008), and are now 100$ for 50ml. Considering, that the cost of a bottle is generally reflected in the price, and his last bottles are about as amateurish (I hate to use that word) as you can get, a 20$ increase across the board for a more commercialized bottle, seems completely fair to me.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th April 2010 at 11:14 PM.

I can't wait to try this one. Andy's touch to the the magical combination of orange and patchouli should be very interesting. I first stumbled on this combo in Demeter Naturals Patchouli from last spring. These scent notes mingle together nicely.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 14th April 2010 at 03:15 AM.

I'm guessing this:

It would be very interesting to attend the event. I went to the Luckyscent website and saw that the Orange Star is $120.00 for 50 ml. Makes me wonder if the entire line will be raised $20 once the new bottles arrive.
    Last edited by Partagas; 14th April 2010 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    It would be very interesting to attend the event. I went to the Luckyscent website and saw that the Orange Star is $120.00 for 50 ml. Makes me wonder if the entire line will be raised $20 once the new bottles arrive.
    Probably...

I would assume the new bottles cost more than the generic plain ones...

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I think so, Mike.
    In his blog or somewhere else he has mentioned 'Orangenblüte' which is the German term for (French) 'Fleur d'Orange'. Orange blossom is the the correct translation of it, but I can see why many people would translate this to orange flower, like (someone did for) Robin in Now Smell This .
    Awesome - I'm looking forward to trying it. I have an orange blossom soft spot.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Im really looking forward to hearing some reviews come the weekend ..... BN'ers

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I'm guessing this:

I'm guessing not. I have a lot more respect for Mr. Tauer's nose. I'm sure he wouldn't want it to smell like a Dreamsicle either.

Basenotes Institution

If Grant is reading this thread, maybe he'll chime in with some thoughts about the fragrance. I remember hearing, in his video interview of Andy, that Grant was wearing a sample of Orange Star.

I'm definitely heading down on Saturday for this. I will post my impressions if time permits me to, but yes, I'd also like to hear what Grant has to say about the fragrance.
    Mike, I wish you were in the area for a Scent Bar visit repeat!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    I'm definitely heading down on Saturday for this. I will post my impressions if time permits me to, but yes, I'd also like to hear what Grant has to say about the fragrance.
    Mike, I wish you were in the area for a Scent Bar visit repeat!
    Me too sweetie, our meet up was a wonderful scent-filled memory for me.

Hey all of you guys: Turquoisewater is gonna be at Scent Bar!
    She's a real sexy gal - and if you're on your best behavior she'll give you the nicest hug. (wink)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th April 2010 at 02:17 AM.

Looks like it might be fun. Dunno if I can make it, however.

http://journal.illuminatedperfume.co...-lalaland.html

Basenotes Institution

Perfume Shrine reviewed it today: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...ce-review.html

I was at The Scent Bar yesterday and I'm so upset that I'm missing meeting Tauer this weekend. Orange Star sounds like I'm going to really enjoy it. Thanks for posting the link, Mike.

Oh! If Elena likens it to the soap, then I am sure I will adore this!
    The concept of using the delicious soap as the framework for Orange Star excites me!

Nathan Branch and Katie Pukrik both have reviews up and both giving away freebies too

Im chomping at the bit to try it , send some over ere soon Andy

Nathan Branch and Katie Pukrik both have reviews up and both giving away freebies too

Im chomping at the bit to try it , send some over ere soon Andy

I'm actually going to be at Luckyscent on Saturday to meet Andy and see the new scent. I am excited to see the new packaging. The juice inside deserves to be in these new bottles. Beautiful.

Basenotes Institution

Oh what a treat for all of you attending tomorrow. Please report back on this post, when you return from Scent Bar.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's a recent interview of Andy Tauer where they discuss Orange Star and the new packaging and bottles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQUwh...ayer_embedded#
    Last edited by Delmar; 16th April 2010 at 09:18 PM.

Any in-depth reviews of this? I'm seriously looking for something that will replace John Varvatos Artisan - I know, I know... not popular around here, but on me, it works well and it rather inoffensive and light enough to wear during the hotter Southeast USA months without causing nasal aggravation - or The Different Company's Divine Bergamot... which again is an inoffensive, great smell to me; albeit a bit perfume-y sometimes.

And orange blossom? I'm so there, but just wonder what the response has been so far.

I've just tried this today and my first impression is Une Rose Chypree redux (albeit lighter). The sooner someone denies Andy access to the clementine essential oil bottle, the better...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    The sooner someone denies Andy access to the clementine essential oil bottle, the better...
    I agree.
    Its getting redundant.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm so late to the party but I just tried Orange Star and I love it. Without telling my wife what it was, she said "that's amaaazing," which doesn't happen too often. I have to disagree with the notion that Andy should "lay off" the clementine. It's his house signature, no different than Guerlainaide. I found it to actually only be very present in the first few minutes, then dissipate into an incredibly well blended scent with it only playing background. I love that he's established a gorgeous base to build fragrances from. I continue to be a big fan.

It just leapfrogged a bunch on my wish list.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

I honestly can't remember what my sample smelled like. It was one of those instances where when I sampled it I thought, I must sample this again with a larger sample next time.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Purely as a personal experience I was disappointed with Orange Star. I just did not find it to fall into the ahhhhh ummmm category, such as L'air du Desert Marocain did. C'est le vie.

Really want to try this. Andy Tauer has always been known to be really personable in his journey. Really brings a lot of personality to his fragrances.

It's a very nice quality orange scent.

I wrote a mini-review of the first try when I received my sample a few months ago :

This one kept me intrigued all day long. It smells A LOT like a soap I used sometimes but can't remember when or where. Well, it's actually richer and deeper than this soap, though, but I can't get the soap's link out of my head.
    The beginning has a little floral element, and strong orange oils mixed with. Then the floral notes fade away and the "soap" note becomes more proeminent. Base notes add a vanilla element and let the fragrance ends on a soft amber(?) with a little hint of orange oil in the background.
    It lasts a very long time since I just dabbed a very few on chest and one wrist and I had whiffs of it from noon until midnigt.
    Very good blend, but I think I would prefer to smell it on a woman than on me, but I'm still intrigued by it and I'll give it several tries again.

Makes me think I could wear it again btw.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

I thought this was just awful. A strong soapy orange, as alluded to above.

I liked it, but not enough to overwhelm my hate for orange. So over all I passed on this as well.

I'm surprised people get orange in this. The problem might be with me though, considering its name is orange star.
    Just a harsh soap to me. Labdanum heavy amber & orange blossom. If I want amber and orange blossom, I'd go with APOM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I'm surprised people get orange in this. The problem might be with me though, considering its name is orange star.
    Just a harsh soap to me. Labdanum heavy amber & orange blossom. If I want amber and orange blossom, I'd go with APOM.
    Naw, the orange is definitely there. I love orange blossom, but really don't like orange at all. So maybe it's my dislike that amplified the orange quality for me, but to my nose orange was certainly and most unfortunately present.