Code of Conduct

Thread: Smitten

Default Smitten

I must confess: I have the biggest crush on Luca Turin. It's kind of embarrassing, really. But he writes so well! I'm completely smitten by the breadth of his knowledge and by his eclectic tastes. Tania Sanchez is a lucky gal indeed!

Am I the only one suffering from this affliction?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Smitten

I enjoy his writing as well. Even managed to make the chemistry stuff in 'The Secret of Smell' seem more 'approachable'... But no, his charms don't work on me.

I know what you mean, but he makes me too mad too frequently to completely love the guy! Sometimes I'd like to bonk him on the head with a huge bottle of whatever hot mess I'm wearing and he's dissing!

Seriously though, he's extremely articulate, very clever and so very witty - he makes me laugh out loud, especially when I agree with him!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I know what you mean, but he makes me too mad too frequently to completely love the guy! Sometimes I'd like to bonk him on the head with a huge bottle of whatever hot mess I'm wearing and he's dissing!
    My sentiments exactly ,Evangeline. Sometimes he makes me mad !
    You know Luca Turin is a basenoter too - he sometimes comes online here - so watch out Effluve !!! *LOL*

Luca Turin is so very bright and intelligent and I am one of those women who loves intelligent , really cerebrally smart men so yeah , he is sexy in his own right !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd April 2010 at 09:11 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

"Luca Turin is so very bright and intelligent and I am one of those women who loves intelligent , really cerebrally smart men so yeah , he is sexy in his own right !"

That's exactly it: cerebral is sexy! I just can't resist!

Hmm...is Tania also a member here?

Hillaire

Is Tania his partner in love as well as publication? I did not know that. I think she is especially clever, and has the sort of acid with that is tersely effective.

I am sure thinking men have inspired adoration as long as there has been the written word.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 23rd April 2010 at 03:02 AM.

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Is Tania his partner in love as well as publication? I did not know that. I think she is especially clever, and has the sort of acid with that is tersely effective.

I am sure thinking men have inspired adoration as long as there has been the written word.
    Tania is his wife... - but - apart from the written words, there is also a photograph of the couple on the cover of the book... - and when I look at Mr Turin on the picture, his "attraction" instantly fades away. Of course he's is a kind of "perfume pope" - and I'm always interested in what he has to say.
    His wife seems very clever, too - but I find her comments less knowledgeable and her sense of humour is too "acid" for me to enjoy.

I enjoy Luca Turin's reviews (and his wife Tania's, as well) very much and look forward to whatever it is he has to say. Does that mean I agree with everything he says? Of course not. He trashes a few of my favorites, but that doesn't lessen my enjoyment of his reviews. Most of the time I find myself in agreement with him, and I tend to seek out his opinions. But, no, I don't have a crush on him.
    Last edited by VintageVogue; 23rd April 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalé View Post
    when I look at Mr Turin on the picture, his "attraction" instantly fades away. Of course he's is a kind of "perfume pope"
    No doubt about it: one fugly guy, pope or not.

Ha, the pongtiff cracks wise! I'd love to sit with LT & TS someday and chit-chat about anything, perfume or otherwise. They seem like delightful people.

and I love their snarky wit.

Basenotes Institution

Hmm...is Tania also a member here?
    I don't know ,Evangeline but Mr. Turin certainly is and maybe she reads basenotes too - I wouldn't be surprised. I think both husband and wife make a great pair and both are very smart.
    I think that if I met Luca Turin , I would be quite intimidated by him - he is a character .

The LT/TS combination of writers is wonderful to read, and I have a well-worn copy of "The Perfume Guide." Be aware, their razor-sharp wit is very, very sharp. Some observations are hilarious in their diction.

I truly like a sharp wit as it is a sign of a very sharp mind. Not all can appreciate this. (Check out my avatar on this...)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The LT/TS combination of writers is wonderful to read, and I have a well-worn copy of "The Perfume Guide." Be aware, their razor-sharp wit is very, very sharp. Some observations are hilarious in their diction.

I truly like a sharp wit as it is a sign of a very sharp mind. Not all can appreciate this. (Check out my avatar on this...)

I'll take a sharp wit anyday. Better than a dim one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post

This is true in my experience. All my adored men have been thinking men.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post
    LOL

You're anything but fugly Luca...Tania has good taste.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2010 at 04:35 AM.

I've got a lot of time for people who have interesting things to say and, thankfully, Mr. Turin has been generous with his thoughts in a variety of media in recent years. His prose is clear; his metaphors illuminating; his wit understated; his taste unimpeachable.

I also like his beer commercials.

I'm not but I totally could be.

THAT is Luca Turin? Are you sure? I have been laughing at those as they remind me of 'rich corinthian leather' commercials from an auto maker in the 70's or 80's!

I am also one who might smack him on his (admittedly) very bright head for butchering some of my favorites in The Guide, but my copy is well worn and much thumbed!

Reine

This is Luca Turin. This is a very nice photo - very attractive. He look sensitive and intelligent, but you can also see the playful wit.

eta - Dr. Turin, I hope you don't mind me posting your photo. As you can see, you have quite a following of admirers here, so I'd ask that you please indulge us by letting us keep it!

eta2 - Thank you!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 24th April 2010 at 09:37 PM.

^^^^ not fugly at all!! Yes, he seems passionate about what he believes, has a sharp humor, and as we have seen above, can have a good laugh at himself. What is there not to like?

You know what they say about men with a big nose...

That's the best picture of him ever! I think he's adorable! I stand by what I said: he's awesome. In every way. There.

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    THAT is Luca Turin?
    Hell no; just my poor attempt at humor.

I was having a little fun with an earlier poster who very suddenly fell out of love with the good doctor on account of a nice photo on a dust jacket, instead of...you know, something of consequence.

I'll get me coat...

Basenotes Institution

This is Luca Turin. This is a very nice photo - very attractive. He look sensitive and intelligent, but you can also see the playful wit.

eta - Dr. Turin, I hope you don't mind me posting your photo. As you can see, you have quite a following of admirers here, so I'd ask that you please indulge us by letting us keep it!

eta2 - Thank you!
    Oh Luca Turin is cute....

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    "Se on Riki Sorsan veli."

Who's Riki?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    All the better to smell you with my dear??? Oh wait, that was the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood.

---
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 28th April 2010 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks to him I spray perfume up the sleeve of my sweater since he mentioned to do that when he and his wife were on the Today show about a year ago. He's like a teacher figure for me. You know, teacher at a community college or regular college.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post
    Mon Dieu!!! Caro Luca, I never said you were ugly... - and the only pic of you I knew was the one on the cover of The GUIDE.
    The picture posted here is brilliant - and far from "fugly".
    I'm sure you're self-confident enough to cope with the fact that your picture on the cover of the book didn't fill me with instant desire!
    That's all I wanted to say. No harm meant.
    And the comments you received here clearly show that you're the type of man who has so much to offer (brain-wise!) that people fall in love of you just because of your esprit et charme. Peut-etre qu'un jour, vouz mettrez votre essence en bouteille... et voila: 10000 FANS! (And rightfully so).
    All the very best,
    Jalé

I"ve skimmed through 'The Emperor of Scent', which i know was not written by Turin but does cover his work. has anyone else read this? It is a very interesting way to 'see' Turin through the eyes of a well-read reporter (Burr).

I saw that you can't even cover Turin with out being funny! I recommend this book, as it has lots of information on the science of scent, and was more thought provoking than I expected it to be.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

He's got an Anthony Hopkins thing going on:

http://lucaturin.typepad.com/about.html
    -

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    I"ve skimmed through 'The Emperor of Scent', which i know was not written by Turin but does cover his work. has anyone else read this? It is a very interesting way to 'see' Turin through the eyes of a well-read reporter (Burr).

I saw that you can't even cover Turin with out being funny! I recommend this book, as it has lots of information on the science of scent, and was more thought provoking than I expected it to be.
    Well, that was my first "exposure" to Dr. Turin and that's where I succumbed to his charm. He is just brilliant and I'm still smitten. I just can't help it.