Code of Conduct

Default Demeter : irresponsible marketing?

This feels wrong to me, am I looking too much into it?

2p5.jpg

Default Re: Demeter : irresponsible marketing?

I'll admit, I laughed out loud as soon as I saw this.That being said, it's clearly an exercise in black humor rather than in genuine charity, akin to releasing fragrances like "Desolation Row" for homelessness or "Flowers For Algernon" for dementia.

As a bartender I may be biased... but the wussification of the world continues...

Honestly, I rarely drink anymore. It slows me down. However I do like to drink to celebrate good times and I do it responsibly, making sure I don't wind up driving. That being said, Demeter can cram it with this stupid marketing. I'm pretty much tired of everything I see in advertising these days and this "socially responsible" BS. And that goes for all this "green" nonsense too. The size of my "carbon footprint" is my own g*ddamn business. I just wish ads would get back to the point of trying to sell their products and make money. It's honest and there's nothing wrong with it. I don't like this approach of trying to give people a sense of guilt or appeal to some stupid humanitarian half-baked "rock the vote" mentality.

Bottoms up yours Demeter!

Edit: OK, maybe this was supposed to be tongue in cheek, I can't tell. Well, if it was, then forgive my post. It's impossible to tell these days. Sigh.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 16th April 2010 at 10:47 PM.

Wow, Indie Guy. You seem to have a lot of built up angst.

Please forgive companies that try to make a buck AND attempt to keep people safe/the world livable. They know not what they do.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

It doesn't bother me.

And a fair amount of advertising does.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 17th April 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'll admit, I laughed out loud as soon as I saw this.That being said, it's clearly an exercise in black humor rather than in genuine charity, akin to releasing fragrances like "Desolation Row" for homelessness or "Flowers For Algernon" for dementia.
    Watch out GB, they may adopt those ideas. If so, you'd better get development credit/royalties.

IMO, not in the best taste but they fulfilled their PSA obligation with it.

Clever but not in good taste. I'll admit I chuckled, though.

Blog Entries

I think this was an advertisement in bad taste both on the part of the ad agency and Demeter. Good fragrance ads should invoke class and sophistication.

These products really belong in Joke Shops. There is nothing wrong with the scents per se, but they really have little value outside of the world of whimsy. They are cute and charming and good for a quick laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    Wow, Indie Guy. You seem to have a lot of built up angst.

Please forgive companies that try to make a buck AND attempt to keep people safe/the world livable. They know not what they do.
    Lol. I guess I was a little grouchy earlier. Still, I think this advertising campaign is par for the course in terms of the lameness of the ad world in general.

But come on, if one thinks that Demeter is going to keep people safe by telling people not to drink but to instead gaily spritz themselves and their coworkers with a pink squirrel scented eau de cologne in lieu of happy hour...

I've figured out what really bothers me about that ad. I've finally distilled it down (ha-ha)... It's that word "awareness". Kind of sick of that word. Everything has to have some kind of "awareness" attached to it. That word is there THREE times. Wow. I'm glad. Because I haven't seen enough drunks in my life to know that some people can't handle their booze. But NOW... My eyes are opened and I'm aware. Thanks Demeter!

lol, that's a pretty good point. Yeah, I agree with that. Maybe the best way for them to go about attempting to make a difference would be to actually donate a % of the money made from these fragrances to DUI prevention or something of the sort.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

I am undecided. Satire via the use of smellz-like-cocktail-scents, or sheer opportunism? How about six of one, half a dozen of the other?

Not really a humorous ad to my mind, whatever the truth may be.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I don't see humor in it either. It's exploitive and an idea that an amateur could easily come up with.

I'll admit, I smiled.

However, Demeter may have shot themselves in the foot here: If alcohol awareness increases enough, no one would ever have sex on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    As a bartender I may be biased... but the wussification of the world continues... Sigh.
    IndieGuy, I'm with you on this one. Political correctness, "awareness" of everything under the sun, no more oakmoss or other natural products in perfume, danger labels on everything so that idiots can't sue if they hurt themselves by misusing a product, and on and on and on ... gimme a break.

Having said that, I see the Demeter ad as just a gag like most of their products are. Or maybe they were trying to do a preemptive strike against criticism of their cocktail scents. Who knows? Some wussificationists may have been criticizing their products as "glorifying alcohol consumption" or some such nonsense.

This is pretty tame.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    IndieGuy, I'm with you on this one. Political correctness, "awareness" of everything under the sun, no more oakmoss or other natural products in perfume, danger labels on everything so that idiots can't sue if they hurt themselves by misusing a product, and on and on and on ... gimme a break.

Having said that, I see the Demeter ad as just a gag like most of their products are. Or maybe they were trying to do a preemptive strike against criticism of their cocktail scents. Who knows? Some wussificationists may have been criticizing their products as "glorifying alcohol consumption" or some such nonsense.

I don't see the ad as "irresponsible marketing".

I'm also sick of people, like the poster I quoted, for criticizing "political correctness". I feel like that term is being really bastardized as well. "Wussificationists" ? Is that a new term to criticize anyone who speaks out against anything ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Plus

"Irresponsible" is a pretty strong word. I gotta admit the ads are kinda lame and cliched by today's standards but I still get the tongue-in-cheek vibes nonetheless. Businesses will ride on the "IN" bandwagon like 'carbon footprints' etc. just to get a 'leg up' over their competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I don't see the ad as "irresponsible marketing".

I'm also sick of people, like the poster I quoted, for criticizing "political correctness". I feel like that term is being really bastardized as well. "Wussificationists" ? Is that a new term to criticize anyone who speaks out against anything ?
    Yeah, well I'm sick of you too.

Why do I suddenly feel the off topic "Take Offense - Corrupt a Statement" is bleeding over here? (grins)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Yeah, well I'm sick of you too.
    Thank goodness for the ignore list. I have not been utilizing it, so I will now.

Too bad a guy as old as you cannot learn some maturity and respect ( for mods). Last time I checked, this was a fragrance site. Not a hostile conservative American venting website
    Last edited by Surfacing; 18th April 2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thank goodness for the ignore list. I have not been utilizing it, so I will now.

Too bad a guy as old as you cannot learn some maturity and respect ( for mods). Last time I checked, this was a fragrance site. Not a hostile conservative American venting website
    See, what did I say about anything "conservative"? And what does my being "American" have to do with anything. I didn't attack Canada. You're projecting big time. I recall that awhile back, I had the audacity once to "speak out against" something and you had to send me a very smug, nasty PM about how stupid I am for my politics. I did nothing to disrespect the mods, (and if I have, they'll let me know and I'll take the lashings graciously) but I'm not going to take it from you. I've been here for a very long time and have always done my best to be mature and respectful. Once in a while you're bound to have a heated disagreement with someone--and even then, I've usually been quick with an olive branch... but you, you're just a piece of work.

You're the one who made a pointed remark at another member in your original post. You could have worded it differently, but you didn't. Yet you lecture me about my forum decorum. I'd be proud to make your ignore list. Big loss.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 19th April 2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: punctuation, etc.

As a bartender I may be biased... but the wussification of the world continues...

(Snip).
    +1!

It's a stupid ad. What next? Support Obesity Awareness Month? 'Spray it...Don't Eat It!' Demeter has quite a few 'edible' type fragrances.

See, what did I say about anything "conservative"? And what does my being "American" have to do with anything. I didn't attack Canada. You're projecting big time. I recall that awhile back, I had the audacity once to "speak out against" something and you had to send me a very smug, nasty PM about how stupid I am for my politics. I did nothing to disrespect the mods, (and if I have, they'll let me know and I'll take the lashings graciously) but I'm not going to take it from you. I've been here for a very long time and have always done my best to be mature and respectful. Once in a while you're bound to have a heated disagreement with someone--and even then, I've usually been quick with an olive branch... but you, you're just a piece of work.

You're the one who made a pointed remark at another member in your original post. You could have worded it differently, but you didn't. Yet you lecture me about my forum decorum. I'd be proud to make your ignore list. Big loss.
    I pointed out the term conservative, because that is what you are about. I don't have a problem with that Indie, but when you bring it in such a hostile tone to this site, that is what upsets me. Alot of my post has to do with your history of disrespectful posts.

I get it. You have a certain social view point. It would just be nice if the constant hostility that you show with regards to social and political viewpoints would be changed. That doesn't mean you cannot be you. But, this is a fragrance website. Save the energy for the Tea Party conventions.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I pointed out the term conservative, because that is what you are about. I don't have a problem with that Indie, but when you bring it in such a hostile tone to this site, that is what upsets me. Alot of my post has to do with your history of disrespectful posts.

I get it. You have a certain social view point. It would just be nice if the constant hostility that you show with regards to social and political viewpoints would be changed. That doesn't mean you cannot be you. But, this is a fragrance website. Save the energy for the Tea Party conventions.
    See, you couldn't just say what you had to say without making some crack about "Tea Parties".

My "history of disrespectful posts"... Wow. You've really got me there. And you talk about my hostile tone? I have no more hostility than anyone else on these boards. Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by joxer96 View Post
    +1!

It's a stupid ad. What next? Support Obesity Awareness Month? 'Spray it...Don't Eat It!' Demeter has quite a few 'edible' type fragrances.
    Joxer, you thought you were making a joke? Check this out: http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/die...vor-sprays.asp.

These flavor sprays appear to be the grandchild or great-grandchild of Susan Schiffman's "Better than a Diet" sprays and scratch n sniff kits that were being marketed back in the 1970s: http://books.google.com/books?id=uRJ...%20kit&f=false

They must not have worked, because she never pursued the idea, but I guess the concept keeps recurring.

What will they think of next?
    Last edited by Doc Elly; 19th April 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Doc,

That's some funny stuff. I'd completely forgotten about it, but I remember an old coworker used a Strawberry Cheesecake spritzer many years ago while trying to lose weight. I never tasted it, but it smelled good!

I have seen worse, I would not say irresponsible though, maybe just a bit inappropriate to a few people.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

See, you couldn't just say what you had to say without making some crack about "Tea Parties".

My "history of disrespectful posts"... Wow. You've really got me there. And you talk about my hostile tone? I have no more hostility than anyone else on these boards. Give me a break.
    Indie, I wasn't making a crack about the Tea Party. Isn't that a political rally group ? I thought you mentioned in another thread that you attented one ( recently). That is why I mentioned it. No wise crack intended at all.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I doesn't bother me. It's marketing, and I can't imagine that the Powers That Be at Demeter would let Alcohol Awareness Month go by without making what I'm sure they see as a somewhat noble (and probably very responsible) gesture and a way to sell their product in a savvy and topical way. I highly doubt that this was intended to suggest an alternative for anyone struggling with alcoholism.

I'm curious though - for those who find this ad irresponsible or even inappropriate, who is it that's being negatively influenced by it, and what are the potential ramifications? (I'm really not trying to be argumentative - I'm sincerely wondering if I'm missing something.)
    Last edited by Evangeline; 20th April 2010 at 03:06 AM.

I don't find it irresponsible, just not very funny. And Demeter's scents in the main seem as though they'd go over well at a Bourbon Street venue as a novelty scent ... but irresponsible, no.

I don't think they're trying to be funny either...addiction's not funny, and that would be offensive. I think novel is exactly what they're going for.

Indie, I wasn't making a crack about the Tea Party. Isn't that a political rally group ? I thought you mentioned in another thread that you attented one ( recently). That is why I mentioned it. No wise crack intended at all.
    Ah, screw it. Not worth arguing over. You and I obviously have different political outlooks on things, but I don't make or break my friendships over political ideology. it's funny, one of my good buddies at work chides me all the time about my political leanings, and I come back and zing him for his. And our friendship never suffers. The internet can be a weird thing. I'm sure you're a good guy and if we talked about these things in person, it would probably be a lot more lighthearted than it's been over the internet. So let's forgive and forget, whaddya say?

Oh, please, not here too! Haven't we all had enough of this?
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Not irresponsible, just lame. Demeter does make some pretty scent, like Wet Garden, that deserve a nudge...

Reine

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I think this was an advertisement in bad taste both on the part of the ad agency and Demeter. Good fragrance ads should invoke class and sophistication.
    I agree that this is in bad taste. I don't think Demeter is looking for the same market as the Guerlian buyer. The Spring Break crowd, more likely.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ah, screw it. Not worth arguing over. You and I obviously have different political outlooks on things, but I don't make or break my friendships over political ideology. it's funny, one of my good buddies at work chides me all the time about my political leanings, and I come back and zing him for his. And our friendship never suffers. The internet can be a weird thing. I'm sure you're a good guy and if we talked about these things in person, it would probably be a lot more lighthearted than it's been over the internet. So let's forgive and forget, whaddya say?
    Totally agree. I know I get carried away as well. Sounds good, Indie

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Well for me, since I have no alcoholic struggles it isn't as offensive...though If one was on the verge of a competent recovery...then happened to see this...I believe he'd be fairly aggravated bias of the fact that he wonders how much money can replace ones sense of morality...though as always, it is only my personal belief.

Kk, take care my Basenotes Family!!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I think it's just a lame advertisement and nothing original. Whatever anyone says or does will offend someone in the world.

The ad goes along with the cheesy designed bottles.

I think its a pretty creative idea considering its play on words. N_Tesla has a point, but i think that's what makes this ad so different considering so many advertisements all follow the same whimsical, classical look and feel to it.

As an alcoholic and ad person and a lover of all things Demeter I think the ad is cute. And I LOVE Grant for being so protective.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Very aptly spoken

Grant, you touched a point: sense of humour is so personal that one man's joke might be one man's insult. In my case, should I be a marketing manager, I'd rather be picky in that sense.

Now, I can't deny irreverence works. An unknown brand specialized in informatic gear sold under a certain brandname found out that it rhymed with "whore", so they hired a plane in order to air a tag line that was plain rude. Authorities censored it whithin days, but it worked marvelously: the brandname is in the mouth of everybody, they are selling a lot and, besides, people joke around with the tagline. Besides, they launched an ad in the radio in which the guy tries to say the tagline, but it censored by his wife. Everybody loves the ad.
    Last edited by Pollux; 1st May 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Honestly, I rarely drink anymore. It slows me down. However I do like to drink to celebrate good times and I do it responsibly, making sure I don't wind up driving. That being said, Demeter can cram it with this stupid marketing. I'm pretty much tired of everything I see in advertising these days and this "socially responsible" BS. And that goes for all this "green" nonsense too. The size of my "carbon footprint" is my own g*ddamn business. I just wish ads would get back to the point of trying to sell their products and make money. It's honest and there's nothing wrong with it. I don't like this approach of trying to give people a sense of guilt or appeal to some stupid humanitarian half-baked "rock the vote" mentality.

Bottoms up yours Demeter!

Edit: OK, maybe this was supposed to be tongue in cheek, I can't tell. Well, if it was, then forgive my post. It's impossible to tell these days. Sigh.
    Sounds like you need a drink!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976