Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Hillaire

Default Re: So I want to smell like an old man - maybe 'mature' is the right word

Some affordable, absolute classics that would suit your age:

Penhaligon's Douro
    Floris Elite
    YSL Pour Homme (original)
    Estee Lauder Lauder for Men

Default Re: So I want to smell like an old man - maybe 'mature' is the right word

I can't believe, that I'm the only one who
    has suggested Antaeus!

It screames ooooold man!

Blog Entries

Pinaud!! It's probably what your grandfather or his father were exposed to when going to a barbershop after receiving a haircut, shave and a short shoulder massage at the end.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

+1 on RL Polo, Azzaro pH & Aramis for the classic old school vibe.

Also try the 'mature but younger':
    Esencia by Loewe
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene
    Eau Pour Homme by Armani
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

I'm with you, Le Grand Duc--Antaeus or Derby is what came to mind for me.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I can't believe, that I'm the only one who
    has suggested Antaeus!

It screames ooooold man!
    I simply don't recommend this former fave anymore, the reformulation is a travesty. Old Antaeus is hard to find!

Ha ha. Love this question. Before I found basenotes I used the same line with sales associates whenever I wanted something rich and expensive-smelling. "I want to smell like a stuffy old man. What do you have?" Some stuff SAs picked out for me: Cartier Pasha, Acqua di Parma Colonia, Vintage Tabarome, Bois du Portugal. Love them all. Creed Vetiver, the 1948 version, is maybe the epitome of stuffy old man. The barbershoppy smell reminds me of the horrid hair tonic that older guys wear. Ick. That might be going a little too far. . .

+1 for Antaeus!!!!! Sophisticated, woody, dry, spicy...all things that scream mature! And this does it better than any other I've yet encountered.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    The barbershoppy smell reminds me of the horrid hair tonic that older guys wear. Ick. That might be going a little too far. . .
    Ah, yes, the beautiful, lasting aroma of Jeris hair tonic. Be sure to get the varietal with extra oil! I'm kidding, as much as I enjoy a fresh haircut and shave, I dislike that particular product. Their talcum powder is pretty good, though.

Speaking of which, a good dusting of barbershop talcum with the proper brush will give you part of the old guy scent immediately. It doesn't last very long, so it isn't "dangerous" to try in that if someone around you dislikes it, it will be gone on its own before you could finish a shower to wash it away. It will save the neck of your shirts from stubble-fraying somewhat, and in hot, humid weather it's a nice finishing touch to a cool shower. Just make certain that your neck and face is completely dry before applying.

More generally, if you want that CEO scent, then think about how someone of that generation and personal power is likely to start his day, and then how they prepare for a night out, and you have your answers. (I think the talc factor is overlooked, it's one of those finishing touches that's only apparent when omitted.)

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Bois du Portugal.
    Love this one. I've been sampling it all week and it definately has an "old man" type of vibe.

Canoe, Old Spice, Pinaud Bay Rum, Rive Gauche...

Equipage...

JHL...

Original Aramis... (but yes the newer Aramis is also kind of old-school)

Old Spice...

All get +1s.

I'm sure the Pinaud is a good old-school thing too. And any Bay Rum.

Also, see if you can find some Lucky Tiger Rose Hair Oil. My dad used to swear by it. (wonder if he still does?)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 13th July 2010 at 02:13 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Bois Du Portugal.

It's definitely mature, but some people complain about it smelling too mature.

Perhaps for you it won't be a problem. Good luck!
    Body Kouros, La Nuit de L'Homme, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

You won't go far wrong with New York by Parfums de Nicolaï.
    Spray it very lightly, IMHO this is in a world of it's own, class and elegance in a bottle !

Equipage
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Giorgio for Men
    Grey Flannel
    Obsession

Bois du Portugal

If I may suggest, Blue Jeans (Versace) is oddly mature but not old. My intuition says this is perfect for the original poster.

Blog Entries

Aramis 1966

Fabrege Brut

Guerlain Derby

Ralph Lauren's Polo.

Van Cleef & Arpels' Pour Homme.

Anything by Caswell-Massey.

Aramis