Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Talking San Francisco Basenotes Meetup - April 11, 2010

I am currently working on a project near San Francisco, and planned to meet up with some Basenoters who were in the area for the day on Sunday. Allen (rogalal) was kind enough to arrange the gathering. Unfortunately, my airline did not cooperate fully - as my plane was delayed 4 hours. So I was only able to join the group at 5:30PM at Barneys. However, we had a fun time at Barneys - they even stayed open 1/2 later to let us sniff and make purchases.

We then all went to dinner and enjoyed some good Thai food and discussed the adventures of the day, as well as the latest Basenotes news.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone and hope that next time I can spend more time with them.

Pictured from left: an_oud_girl (Jennifer), rogalal (Allen), ROtto (Rich), petruccijc (Joe), JaimeB (Jaime), Galamb_Borong (Aidan), Rawk Lee (Holland) and 959lover (Ashkan)

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: San Francisco Basenotes Meetup - April 11, 2010

Wow. Nice shot. Hope you guys had a great time - looks like you did. Nice to put a couple of new faces to names . . .

The basenotes Meet-Up's are pretty special IMO - I have made two new friends here in HK - we connect every few weeks.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Aah, that looks/sounds sooo cozy.
    I wish I could have been there.
    Damn, Galamb ... you're a big boy

So......... who made any purchases

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice photo, Joe!!! I'm sure you all had a wonderful get-together! Had I not had my neck surgery last week, I would have surely loved to have flown out there. Sorry you had a delay/mechanical/etc.... Keep me up-to-date on any other potential get-togethers as soon as you know about them, and I will make every attempt to attend! I'm glad you had such a nice time!!! Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Great photo! How jealous of you guys I am.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify, I didn't plan anything - this whole thing came together in the stretch of a few days! Somehow, in the span of 4 hours, we managed to hit every store that was open on a Sunday: Gumps (where we gave some quality time to Ineke), Prada (who actually had the exclusives out this time), Chanel (for Les Exclusifs), Saks (for Kilians, Bond, and Clive Christian), Neiman Marcus (where we terrorized the Creed counter and the Guerlain boutique before heading downstairs to the mens section where we sniffed the upcoming 10 Corso Como Uomo), and finally Barneys (for everything else, especially the Malles).

Amazingly, the only purchase of the day was Ashkan's new Musk Ravageur (though he really liked Al Aoud, too). But I really liked the 10 Corso Como Uomo and will likely pick it up when it comes out, and Jaime tried on a couple of the Inekes.

I personally enjoyed sniffing through the Le Labo ingredients kit with Galamb and ROtto, which confirmed my deep hatred of civet and explained a couple of notes that I'd never quite understood (galbanum and leaf esters, anyone?), as well as getting caught up in Ashkan's enthusiasm and attempting to avoid ending up in Rawk Lee's YouTube videos... And it's always a pleasure to sniff things and take advantage of having experts around to answer my many stupid questions.

So thanks to everyone for braving the rain to say hi! And it's a tribute to how nice BN is that we can gather 8 strangers together and have a great time...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Galamb - you sure do get around! (wink)

Sounds like fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Man I'f I knew about this I would have came out . Holland I need to give you my number man so you can hit me up for stuff like this

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Just to clarify, I didn't plan anything - this whole thing came together in the stretch of a few days!
    You kept us all together and on the move! I wouldn't have thought to drift back into the store to the Armani Privés at SFA (really loved the Vétiver Babylone), and I'd have probably gotten so absorbed by the Kilians that I'd have missed the divine Clive Christian #1 for women.

I really liked the 10 Corso Como Uomo and will likely pick it up when it comes out
    This smelled amazing on you, and if you hadn't asked the SA to remove it from the hidden vault we'd have all missed it!

So thanks to everyone for braving the rain to say hi! And it's a tribute to how nice BN is that we can gather 8 strangers together and have a great time...
    It's hard to think everyone as strangers when I've known many of you for over a year now on BN. It was a wonderful day!

I also posted a group shot in the Member Pictures forum here.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 12th April 2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It certainly was a pleasure to meet most of these folks again, and Rawk Lee (Holland) and 959lover (Ashkan) for the first time. Even though it was pouring rain for part of the time, we had some very good conversation, both serious and fun! One thing I love about every Basenotes person and group I've spent time with is the easy camaraderie, and the great mix of serious (even technical) perfume talk and getting-to-know-you jokey chat.

What a great group, and how interesting and fun to spend time together and share a meal. I really look forward to the next opportunity to do a sniff-around with all these friends and any new ones who can join us! I missed cutypi (John), who had to bow out because of the foul weather — well, maybe next time!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 13th April 2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I wish I would have known. I could have met you all up Well I'm sure you wouldn't want a crazy college kid running around anyway.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I wish I would have known. I could have met you all up Well I'm sure you wouldn't want a crazy college kid running around anyway.
    How close are you to SF? If you want to get invited, a good way is to join the S. F. Bay Area Basenoters Permission Group. The we'll know you're around... That goes for any other people on Basenotes within driving distance.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

I love hearing about these BN group events, and have participated in a few small gatherings myself. They are fantastic! Thanks for posting this, it sounds like you all had a great time!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Now I wonder what Thai dishes did you guys have?

Nice photo and I'm sure you all had a good time.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Is Jaqueline closed on Sundays? That would have been a cool place to check out as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    Man I'f I knew about this I would have came out . Holland I need to give you my number man so you can hit me up for stuff like this
    I just decided late on Saturday if I wanted to go and only managed to contact one person. I totally forgot I could have just messaged you on Facebook too.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    It's all gravy. I think Ashkan and I were a couple of the youngest ones there. We goofed off almost the entire time. The guys we were with were very patient with us. Jaime gave some of us some quick French lessons here and there. LOL.

So uh, Ashkan's buying Al Oud in a couple weeks, y'all wanna come through? Haha. The highlights for me were Tea for Two (later on it just smelled pretty nice once I got used to a really pronounced tea fragrance) and oddly enough, Ineke Derring-Do appealed to me, even if I just sniffed it for a few seconds when we were briefly at Gump's. New Haarlem could easily be my favorite gourmand of all time if I wore it. That one kinda blew my mind. Even though I sold Rochas Man a while back, it's that more intense coffee note that made it an even BETTER interpretation of a mocha vibe.

Too bad they didn't have French Lover at the Malle booth for me to sniff. I totally forgot that was the one I wanted to try and I forgot to ask about it. I might want a sample of L'eau d'Hiver though, but it gave me a vibe that it could die on my skin 2 hours later and disappear. LOL.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 13th April 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Now I wonder what Thai dishes did you guys have?

Nice photo and I'm sure you all had a good time.
    Actually, it was Vietnamese. LOL. "Out The Door" is a more casual version of their upper end restaurant, "The Slanted Door" (which is located at the Ferry Building down the street).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Too bad they didn't have French Lover at the Malle booth for me to sniff. I totally forgot that was the one I wanted to try and I forgot to ask about it. I might want a sample of L'eau d'Hiver though, but it gave me a vibe that it could die on my skin 2 hours later and disappear. LOL.
    French Lover was there, they call it "Bois d'Orage" at Barney's for some reason. And you ought to try L'Eau d'Hiver, on me it lasts all day, although it's never very strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, I want to extend my thanks to everyone as a whole for tolerating my goofball'd-ness throughout the day. I had more fun in one day than I've had in a LONG WHILE. I appreciate everyone's hospitality as well as large knowledge base.

Allen, It was a pleasure talking to you. Your consistnency of showing me things that I would like was spot-on and amazing. Thank you for not getting upset everytime I said "I've only ever smelled Millesime Imperial" or "I'm a complete niche noob." Thank you for your patience.

Jaime, hearing you speak French with Hassan at the Saks counter made me want to learn French. And seeing you interact and basically know every SA is a feat I doubt I'll be able to afford in my lifetime. Thanks for letting us piggy-back your spending-train and get to know who's who at the shops.

Everyone else, sorry if I didn't talk to you especially, I was in the heat of the moment and trying to find something I would want to buy for my father for his 61st birthday (in June, so I still have time). I do not know yet! I do think Al Oudh smells exceptional (to my untrained nose) but it is something that I believe am too young to wear. However, my father might appreciate it. I will be giving my sample to see if he likes it. If he does, it's in the bag.

As for my next purchase, I am REALLY liking the sweetness of Safran Troublant by L'Artisan. That and, you guessed it, Muscs Kublai Khan by Serge Lutens. I'll need to actually wear them to see if they fit my purchasing criteria but I do feel I have just sealed my financial fate. What a potentially expensive hobby this is....

Again, it was a pleasure meeting everyone and I do plan on going back in the next month to buy something at Barneys. Anyone is welcome

-Ashkan
    "You smell fantastic, what is that?"
    "It's diesel"
    "*nods* Wow, it's incredible"
    "No, you don't understand....it's diesel fuel"
    "Oh, okay, i'll buy that one then"

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edelzwicker View Post
    Is Jaqueline closed on Sundays? That would have been a cool place to check out as well.
    Yes, Jacqueline is closed on Sunday, so we didn't get to go there. Last time we did a sniffathon, back in August of last year, we went on a Saturday, and we did manage to go inside Jacqueline and look around for a bit.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca