Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Talking San Francisco Basenotes Meetup - April 11, 2010

I am currently working on a project near San Francisco, and planned to meet up with some Basenoters who were in the area for the day on Sunday. Allen (rogalal) was kind enough to arrange the gathering. Unfortunately, my airline did not cooperate fully - as my plane was delayed 4 hours. So I was only able to join the group at 5:30PM at Barneys. However, we had a fun time at Barneys - they even stayed open 1/2 later to let us sniff and make purchases.

We then all went to dinner and enjoyed some good Thai food and discussed the adventures of the day, as well as the latest Basenotes news.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone and hope that next time I can spend more time with them.

Pictured from left: an_oud_girl (Jennifer), rogalal (Allen), ROtto (Rich), petruccijc (Joe), JaimeB (Jaime), Galamb_Borong (Aidan), Rawk Lee (Holland) and 959lover (Ashkan)

Last edited by petruccijc; 12th April 2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: San Francisco Basenotes Meetup - April 11, 2010

J - thanks for sharing your sniffing adventures ! Lovely to see all of you and sounds like you had a marvellous time together.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

This sounds fab! Thanks for sharing that photo Joe!
    Galamb, please tell me you are standing on a chair, or are you seriously *that* tall?! :-O
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 12th April 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Great Pic! You guys look like y'all had a blast.

Galamb is reminding me of a younger version of Tim Robbins, who is also very tall.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I thought so too re. Galamb- you are one tall young man !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Oh thanks for the report. Somehow I thought that rogalal is in the second row behind you, between an_oud_girl and JaimeB.

Awww!! You guys look so cute! I wish I could've been there. I would have to fly I don't know 8000 miles or so to see you...but soon someday And Aidan, are you really that tall?!
    One grand bunch of folks right there !!!

Blog Entries

Oh, yes, Aiden really is that tall and so cute! I told my DH, "If I were 20 years younger, not married and pregnant, and if Aiden weren't gay, you'd be in some trouble." He just smiled and said, "That's a lot of 'ifs'."

I also posted a group shot in the Member Pictures forum here.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Oh thanks for the report. Somehow I thought that rogalal is in the second row behind you, between an_oud_girl and JaimeB.
    Nope, I'm the short one with the glasses...

It was great to sniff around with everyone, even if air travel nightmares kept Joe away for most of it
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

How marvelous to get a group of very AVID scent lovers together! It must have been a blast for all of you!

Thank you for sharing this!

Will you be sharing the results of your haul?? Do share!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    How marvelous to get a group of very AVID scent lovers together! It must have been a blast for all of you!

Thank you for sharing this!

Will you be sharing the results of your haul?? Do share!
    Yes! Please do tell, I like to live vicariously through other peoples more informed noses. Somehow that did not sound like what I meant? Anyways, what I mean to say is that I learn a lot from you guys!

And @ rogalal...I think we all look short next to Galamb! At 5'3", I'd be lucky to have my head show up in the picture

Blog Entries

The only one who purchased was Ashkan (FM Musc Ravageur). He also received loads of FM and some SL samples with his purchase. When we had the meet-up last summer, there had been several months' notice before the event iirc, and I was more able to plan and budget and I knew definitively what I wanted to buy. I think most of us were similarly geared up to go SHOPPING! back then.

New(ish) releases that I enjoyed sniffing yesterday were Kilian Pure Oud (better than L'Artisan's new Oudh, imo), 10 Corso Como Uomo (sexy incense), Voyage d`Hermes (actually, I didn't much like this one, but I'm glad I tried it), Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone (a lovely floral vetiver, not that new, but new to me), and Natori (smooth, mature, utterly feminine but not sweet or too heavily floral).

Allen and Jaime B. are great to go sniffing with. They keep up on all the new releases and I was happy to let them point out recommendations or follow their interests as well as my own.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

What a great looking group!
    I am sure you all had lots of fun.
    I am glad you are sharing your experience.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

OMG! What amazing fun....
    Do tell in advance next time, I'm not that far away..............PLEEEEZZZZ

I want to thank everyone for your great hospitality. My first outing with anyone from BN, and DEFINITELY not last. I had great fun and I am sooooooo eyeing a few more bottles from Barneys. I haven't opened my MR yet, but I plan to do an unboxing on YouTube as soon as Holland (Rawk Lee) decides to post his video of our adventure from yesterday.

Special thanks to....well, everyone! I feel like I just fell down a steep, and expensive slope. I love it!

-Ashkan
    "You smell fantastic, what is that?"
    "It's diesel"
    "*nods* Wow, it's incredible"
    "No, you don't understand....it's diesel fuel"
    "Oh, okay, i'll buy that one then"

Yes indeed, 6'8" here - calculate other Bnoter's heights accordingly.

I had a blast with everyone yesterday; I'm so glad I was able to meet all of you, and it was definitely the highlight of this trip.

I smelled literally HUNDREDS of fragrances with Basenoters that day, so it's hard to know what to mention.

Finally got to try some legends like Havana and Aramis 900. 900 is no, but Havana seemed really nice and clovey; I'll revisit it before I go.

Bois Farine - peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter. Sometimes L'Artisan can out-do CDG. Never going to wear this one, though...

Clive Christian X For Men was a favorite - super-intense, herbal, spicy fragrance that starts out redolent of CdG White and quickly morphs into to a very intense and rich cardamon note. Loved it.

Italian lines I've never heard of in Gumps. I need to find out what some of those were! There was an amber that was a lot like L'Ombre Fauve but a touch drier; want to search it out again.

Me attempting to get JaimeB to say a fragrance before I did, trying not to make a fool of myself on the French pronunciation.

Rogalal introducing me to the concept of hidden testers. Yes, the SA's are holding out on you and have new releases in hiding! Badger them and goodies will be revealed!

Shalimar extrait on ROtto. I wonder if Neiman Marcus bottle was vintage, but either way, ROtto sprayed on some Shalimar and it was NOT anything I was expecting once the drydown hit. Super-animalic; almost leathery. A number of us commented on how different it smelled.

Frederic Malle smelling booths - a concept so pretentious it's JAR-esque, yet, they actually work! I think I could happily spend a few hours reading a book inside a Carnal Flower scented one.

I hope we can all do this again someday!

Hey, hey!!! "m near San Francisco too, let's have another meet! :-)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Thank you again for sharing. WHAT fun this must have been! Yes, it IS hard to have a sniff day, going up and down aisles of perfume. The nose is so overwhelmed, and sometimes the wallet so empty...

BTW, Nordstrom stores have occasional Eau de Parties, in which the store closes and then opens to perfumistas who register for the event. Fun to go to, plus lots of sampling and goodies.

They are usu. listed in the "events" section of the Nordstom Web site.
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th April 2010 at 03:32 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.