Code of Conduct

Question Pant fitting problems

I don't think I've ever posted in this sub-forum before, but I'm in need of some specific fashion help!

I am constantly frustrated when shopping for pants. You see, I have massive thighs, thanks to a constant diet of biking, skiing, running, hiking etc. Overall, I do not have a thick build and do not like loose-fitting clothing.

When I try on many pairs of pants, my thigh width causes the upper areas just below the waist to flare out, particularly when the pockets are along the outer seam (i.e. most dress pants, chinos, etc. Jeans, with their pockets on the front, don't give me this issue). I think the problem is that my thighs are thicker than my waist, so if I want the pants to fall evenly and not flare out on top, I have to get a loose-fitting waist size (obviously a problem), or a "relaxed fit" pant (which I find tacky, and are too loose in other areas).

Is there any way around this? Can tailors alter pant leg widths or do anything else that might help? Anyone else have this problem? I just want my pants to fall naturally!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th April 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pant fitting problems

My dad was a tailor. Tailors can work wonders, but there has to be enough material in the seam.

Buy pants that fit your thighs, and get the waist taken in an inch or two. This is a simple procedure that any tailor should be able to do. Always buy pants that fit your legs, and get the waist altered accordingly--not the other way around.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by davedude11 View Post
    Buy pants that fit your thighs, and get the waist taken in an inch or two. This is a simple procedure that any tailor should be able to do. Always buy pants that fit your legs, and get the waist altered accordingly--not the other way around.
    +1 Excellent piece of advice.

Alternatively just have the tailor custom make your pants...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 21st April 2010 at 02:10 PM.