Code of Conduct

Default Best Formal Wear Colognes ( For Suit and Tie, or Tuxedo )

I'v always been on the search for a GREAT formal and sophisticated cologne that could worn to a special occasion like weddings or a banquet, where you really want to smell great and leave a nice impression. What kind of colognes do you think would best fit this situation? (Older or newer fragrances)
    -Sincerely, Chewbacca

Default Re: Best Formal Wear Colognes ( For Suit and Tie, or Tuxedo )

in my opinion, the answer really depends on who you are.
    personally, i would go for something very distinctive.
    if you want to be on the safe side, most classic colognes that are on the market for over 3 decades will do. chanel pour monsieur for example.
    if you want something less well known, you might want to take a look at the niche market.
    whatever you are going to wear, wear the right amount, do not overdo it!

Chanel pour monsieur sounds great and has great review, besides the Chanel house never lets down. I only have one cologne I would say has a sophisticated smell and not very common for some reason, Canali for Men ( AMAZING but very modern ). I will definitely be looking more into the older scents like you said and come back with some finds.
    Last edited by Chewbacca; 13th April 2010 at 07:13 AM.

Apart from seconding Chanel pour Monsieur

Floris No. 89, Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, Knize Ten, even Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain seem very appropriate to me

Sur la Plage

Tiffany for Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Can you be perhaps more specific about the type of sophistication and impression you wish to leave, so our recommendations can fit specific criteria?
    Or do you think it'd be a better tactic for us to just provide a huge bulk list of only the most impressive, formal, distinguished scents,
    for you to test all of them ?

Canali, bois du portugal, royal english leather, paco rabanne ph, aramis, tuscany, obsession and green irish tweed just to name a few

I can think of nothing more appropriate for this sort of thing than the well-judged rose-saffron of Washington Tremlett's Black Tie.

If you are interested, I posted a mini-review in this thread a few days ago.

well I'm not really looking for something specific in the notes, but aspects that I would appreciate are something with a very nice and complex pyramid of notes and nice dry down ( Projections is defiantly a priority ). So basically when at first whiff you don't instantly relate the whole cologne to a particular note. something more for weddings, and very formal dances is what I would expect to use these for.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My six staples for evening attire (black tie) are:

Chanel pour Monsieur (not Concentrée)
    Guerlain Vétiver
    Chanel Antaeus
    Acqua di Parma Profumo
    Hermès Bel Ami
    MPG Parfum d'Habit
    Last edited by JaimeB; 15th April 2010 at 08:00 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Thanks alot, I will be looking into theses for the next few days, hopefully get some samples. And on a side-note I was in JCpennys the other day and stopped in Sephora and took a whiff of Polo's Modern Reserve... WOW!!! it took a little for me to really figure it out, but it is truly must be one of the most sophisticated scents out there.

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Egoiste Platinum is perfect for a black tie affair.

I also came across Bvlgari's Pour homme Extreme, its the best of the classy frags ive ever had the opportunity to try... BEAUTIFUL.

I second Tremlett's Black Tie and Floris No. 89 (but only in the vintage version) and would add Czech & Speake No. 88 (particularly, but not exclusively in the vintage version), if you'd like a little more flamboyance. Generally I'd agree that most any classic scent from the 80s or earlier will qualify, depending on your personal style and preference - whether Antaeus, Habit Rouge EdC, Chanel pour Monsieur or a classic Hermes.

If you want great complexity and uniqueness, I'd go for some discontinued classics:
    Versailles pour homme
    Patou pour homme
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I second Tremlett's Black Tie and Floris No. 89 (but only in the vintage version) and would add Czech & Speake No. 88 (particularly, but not exclusively in the vintage version), if you'd like a little more flamboyance. Generally I'd agree that most any classic scent from the 80s or earlier will qualify, depending on your personal style and preference - whether Antaeus, Habit Rouge EdC, Chanel pour Monsieur or a classic Hermes.

If you want great complexity and uniqueness, I'd go for some discontinued classics:
    Versailles pour homme
    Patou pour homme
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Some of my favorite formal scents include Kiton Men, Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar, and Chanel Platinum Egoiste.

Vera Wang for Men seems well suited (pun intended) for formal occassions. Also Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM Pour Homme for warmer weather formal occassions.

My choices:

Habit Rouge (EDT, EDP or the extrait) by Guerlain
    Bel Ami by Hermes
    Equipage by Hermes
    Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain
    Richard James EDT by Richard James
    Le Troisieme Homme by Caron
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My black tie standbys are Vintage Tabarome and Bois du Portugal. Roger Gallet Extra Vielle is nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    My black tie standbys are Vintage Tabarome and Bois du Portugal. Roger Gallet Extra Vielle is nice, too.
    vt and bdp for me too, and rel

I forgot to add Guerlain's Derby to my list...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
    Vera Wang for Men seems well suited (pun intended) for formal occassions.
    i just read this after reading another review of vera wang for men. please take no offense,

Vera Wang for Men (Vera Wang) ★ soapy nightmare $
    Smells like something that might be called Mountain Glen, which you’d plug into a wall socket. LT

i just thought it was kind of funny that one person thinks it's great for formal wear, and another thinks of it as the smell of one of those nasty room plug ins. :)

Tactics by Shiseido, Amouage Gold, Boucheron pour homme EDP, Eau de Patou, Iris Bleu Gris MPG
    aldehydic (soapy-powdery) citrus chypres
    Vetiver The Great!!!