Code of Conduct

Cool I think I like aquatics...?

There. I said it.

After searching through niche perfumes like crazy, I think I finally found a fragrance that is comfortable, wearable, doesn't hurt my bank account, and enjoyed by my wife.

Davidoff's Cool Water....

Reminiscent of my once beloved GIT, this fragrance takes me back. It was one of the first fragrances that I wore (bought for me by my late grandfather). And while it doesn't remind me of water (more like sweaters and green fields), I think I like this genre next to my citruses. I just never ventured into this territory because I considered it too modern, too passe to enjoy.

Perhaps it was because as a former teacher, my adolescent students would spray aquatics on themselves with wild abandon. I had one student who wore a cologne (an aquatic, most definitely) that it smelt like he washed his hair in it. It was awful.

Any other fragrances I should focus on in this genre? I considered giving Polo Sport a try. I remember liking that particular fragrance in a set of Ralph Lauren samples I got one Christmas.
    Last edited by Texican; 13th April 2010 at 01:24 AM.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: I think I like aquatics...?

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie

Can't beat a nice aquatic for versatility and this one has character in spades. Starts about Magnolia, then includes the garden and the pond, somewhere in the Mediterannean.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

That's okay... you can like, you can even LOVE aquatics. (Cool water reminds me of a fellow I used to know who looked like Tom Cruise when TC looked good. So I associate that scent with that fellow.)

The AdP Blu Mediterraneo line seems to be of the aquatic, or at least of the salt-air-plus-Mediterranean woods/herbs/flowers... some of them are quite nice. And aromatherapeutic too! (I have Mirta de Panarea and Cipresso di Toscana and they're both very nice. Not aquatics per se, but both have that quality. Nicely crafted)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122764.html

To quote Tedster's review:
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta and Green Irish Tweed are my two favorite frags as of Dec. 2009. Assoluta is the type of fragrance that can work for just about any climate and situation. Sophisticated, yet restrained. Clean, but won't make you smell like the typical fresh aquatics that rule the world today. Luxurious, and confident. These are qualities I associate with Assoluta.
    Also check the Colonia Intensa.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 13th April 2010 at 01:37 AM.

Hugh Parson's Blue

Millesime imperial, virgin island water, acqua di gio, versace fraiche, chrome

Also check the Colonia Intensa.[/QUOTE]

I have both. The Assoluta didn't impress me on first blush but I think with warmer weather, I'll give it a try as my SoTD tomorrow. (The Intensa is lovely) ... I can definitely recommend Intensa.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Aquatics are really hard not to like, wearing them can be questionable though. Aquatics just make you feel youthful, they're often vibrant and go right up your nostrils and make them tingle. I just noticed most don't last long enough.. I'd love to find an aquatic with perfume power, or like the ideal aquatic AdG which is basically the definition of aquatic amongst the means of fragrances -- this I would love to see in an EDP. Imagine the success that would have.

Givenchy pour homme Blue Label
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 13th April 2010 at 05:32 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

A different type of aquatic : Hugo Boss Elements Aqua
    you can also try: Acqua Di Gio (too common but nice) , L'eau par Kenzo Pour Homme , Hugo Boss XY
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I don't know that they're at all "aquatics," but I go for a family I might call "rain waters." Halston 1-12, maybe a little of PdN's Nicolai Pour Homme, and even Mario Valentino's Ocean Rain. There's another of this water family that I'm not remembering now too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Boss (not Hugo) Elements, a fresh fougere, smells like a polished Cool Water, IMO.

Guy Laroche's Horizon is a must-try. Another fresh fougere which was ahead of the aquatic genre.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Are Cool Water and Polo Sport really aquatics in the sense that say Halston Unbound/Paris Hilton Just Me/ Jill Sander Pure/ Eternity Summer are aquatics? I've always puzzled over this.

Aramis New West I'd suggest as something worth checking, if Cool Water is to your liking.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 13th April 2010 at 01:00 PM.

Texican, I believe you and I have a lot in common w/r/t frags, and life circumstance, based on previous posts, threads, and reviews. I, too, have discovered of late that there are some aquatics I don't mind, some that I even really like, in fact, though it runs counter to what I thought my tastes and aesthetic preferences would dictate. Cool Water is near the top of my list, as it works better on my skin than GIT. You have some really nice aquatic suggestions here. I would offer a couple of others:

Bvlgari Aqva for a salty aquatic with some longevity
    Montale Fougeres Marines for an EdP with a really bright fresh fougere approach (T_C, you might dig this one as an EdP, too, but it's pricey, as is Boise Fruite, Montale's melon-y aquatic EdP entry)

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 13th April 2010 at 01:08 PM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    There. I said it.
    Out of our sight!!!

j/k, there are some good aquatics out there. It's just that the genre has been so taken advantage of and cheapened since the release of decent scents like Cool Water, Kenzo PH and even AdG.

Have you looked into what I like to call "fresh water" aquatics? L'Eau Par Kenzo, Agua de Loewe, 212, etc.? They are watery without that strong marine note (which you may like)...just throwing it out there.

You might also look into Heely's Sel Marin...it's at the top of my test list (haven't tried it). I've heard it's a very natural-smelling alternative to the caloney traditional "marine" note. Salty dunes with seaside trees. Mmmm, want.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Are Cool Water and Polo Sport really aquatics in the sense that say Halston Unbound/Paris Hilton Just Me/ Jill Sander Pure/ Eternity Summer are aquatics? I've always puzzled over this.

Aramis New West I'd suggest as something worth checking, if Cool Water is to your liking.
    Renato
    See I think of Cool Water as more of a green fragrance than an aquatic. to me aquatics are Hugo, AdG, Unbound, Paris Hilton as you mentioned as well as Just Me, Nautica Voyage, and many Aqua by Bvlgari. (amongst others)

Cool Re: I think I like aquatics...?

Here we go!:

1.Acqua di Parma Colonia-----------------------------------For the sophisticated gentleman.
    2.Set Sail South Seas for Men--by Tommy Bahama------Get in touch with your "inner adolescent."

OTHERS:

Erolfa by Creed-------------------------Because it's spectacular by the seashore.
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo---------------------Because it's one of a kind.
    Himalaya by Creed---------------------Because it's better than 99% of all Aquas. Including other Creeds.
    Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali-----To swim in a pond in Tahiti
    Infusion by Bombay Sapphire--------To swim in gin. Most refreshing.
    Quasar by J del Pozo------------------Insane but fun. Like Laguna but more interesting (or weird)
    Salt Air by Demeter -------------------Poor longevity, but great price, so re-apply! Good stuff.
    Vétiver by Annick Goutal--------------The saltiest vetiver, ever. Good for Seadogs and elegant pirates!

I'd skip Acqua di Gio, Aquaman, Baldessarini Del Mar (not bad, a kind of improved Chrome) Chrome, Beyond Paradise for Men (Beyond Masculinity?) Bulgari Aqua and Aqua Marine, Insense Ultramarine (unlike the others this is not mediocre or overused, it's terrible!) L'Eau par Kenzo and L'Eau D'Issey and other Zzzzzz's.

I hope this helps.
    Please note that, as always, this is simply my subjective, personal and infallible opinion.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 13th April 2010 at 07:21 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Just promise you won't abandon your love of incense scents!!! We need supporters of that type.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    2.Set Sail South Seas for Men--by Tommy Bahama------Get in touch with your "inner adolescent."

I'd classify this more as citrus/fruity and even somewhat floral. It actually smells like Fruit Loops, which smells identical to Kenzo Power IMO (minus the rum note)

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Just promise you won't abandon your love of incense scents!!! We need supporters of that type.
    I love incense. Just not incense fragrances too much. It is probably because I am so spoiled being Eastern Orthodox, and being around Athonite incense all the time. Most incense fragrances I've encountered doesn't do them justice.

I like pine though - In fact I wore Polo before I met my wife. Then she told me to change my fragrance. Either way, my taste tends to go for subtle and understated fragrances. For example, I love 4711 despite all the bad press about it.

That is one of the reasons why I'm surprised that I like Cool Water. After wearing 4711, Caswell-Massey's Number Six, and Santa Maria Novella's eau de cologne for two years now, I'm stunned that I would enjoy this.
    Last edited by Texican; 13th April 2010 at 08:29 PM.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

I like pine though...
    GOOD MAN! Long live pine scents.
    Hmmm... acquatic pine? Well, if you can ever try Fragonard Cyprien you would experience an acquatic cypress (coniferous). It is pretty good stuff.
    Coneheads can accomodate almost anything!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    GOOD MAN! Long live pine scents.
    Hmmm... acquatic pine? Well, if you can ever try Fragonard Cyprien you would experience an acquatic cypress (coniferous). It is pretty good stuff.
    Coneheads can accomodate almost anything!
    Unfortunately, the wife doesn't care for pine (see my signature quote by JP Guerlain. It's true. If she don't like it, then it isn't going to be a pleasant night).

One day when I get my own office or study, I'll burn pine/evergreen scented candles. Then no one can say anything.
    Last edited by Texican; 13th April 2010 at 08:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I don't know that they're at all "aquatics," but I go for a family I might call "rain waters." Halston 1-12, maybe a little of PdN's Nicolai Pour Homme, and even Mario Valentino's Ocean Rain. There's another of this water family that I'm not remembering now too.
    Speaking of rain water, Ineke's Derring-Do does a pretty solid job of it. It's a small niche house out of San Francisco, CA.

Peace be unto thee, and thy house...
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Millesime imperial, virgin island water, acqua di gio, versace fraiche, chrome
    All excellent aquatics although VIW and Fraiche barely last which is rather unfortunate. Also, VIW's coconut note tends to fade while on paper it's always there. On my skin the lime is far more noticable. Overall, Set Sails to Barts is a better purchase overall regarding price and overall value.
    For Fraiche, I'd just get Light Blue Pour Femme since the differences are small and it lasts a lot longer.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Unfortunately, the wife doesn't care for pine (see my signature quote by JP Guerlain. It's true. If she don't like it, then it isn't going to be a pleasant night).

One day when I get my own office or study, I'll burn pine/evergreen scented candles. Then no one can say anything.
    My girlfriend cannot stand pine either. Maybe it's more of a smell men prefer since I like it. I own Polo Modern Reserve and that gives off a pine like smell among the various other notes.

I haven't smelled many aquatic/coniferous fragrances and it seems that it'd be an excellent combination.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I like aquatics too. I only started trying them recently; I wasn’t into fragrances back when they came onto the scene, so they are new to me. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I like Bulgari Aqua and Nautica Voyage just fine, but my most recent favorite is Oltre by Laura Tonatto. I think that counts as an aquatic.

I also like Cool Water, Millesime Imperial, and Hugh Parsons Blue, but none of those seem aquatic to me.

There are others I want to try but haven't gotten to yet.
    Last edited by buzzley; 13th April 2010 at 11:05 PM.

wow, i wonder what that ocean rain smells like.
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

Sur la Plage

Guy Laroche Horizon
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hugh Parsons Blue
    Heeley Sel Marin
    Profumi di Pantelleria Maestrale
    Eau d'Italie Magnolia Romana
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Yachting