Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default New seismic imaging technology will help loggers tap optimum sandalwood supply

One of my new tasks involves trolling science headlines to create briefs for Homemade Wilderness daily news service. (There. That's my plug for the day. Go bump up my numbers by visiting, and tell your friends.)

An article from Science Daily describes combining seismic imaging with enhanced computer science to assess which trees contain a worthwhile supply of sandalwood oil in their heartwood—saving time and the unnecessary destruction of trees not ready for harvest.

“If you've ever been transported by a breath of L'Air du Temps or Chanel N°5, then you know something of the sandalwood tree. The oil found in its heartwood forms a base note in some of the world's great perfumes, and, at about a thousand dollars a pound, it's one reason why they are so dear.”

Read more here.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: New seismic imaging technology will help loggers tap optimum sandalwood supply

Yay, Quarry! I bookmarked the site so I can read more. I'm glad to hear about this new technology. I remember when I actually had about 1/2 oz of mysore sandalwood oil in my possession. It was amazing smelling stuff. This was back in the day when quality essential oils were relatively affordable. Sandalwood doesn't smell the same today in perfumery, I suppose because the real stuff is so prohibitively expensive that synthetics are now used.

Default Re: New seismic imaging technology will help loggers tap optimum sandalwood supply

Wow, Quarry, thank you for sharing this article.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I found this article very hopeful, thanks for the link Quarry.

Oh, this is VERY interesting! Thanks for posting about this!

What good news! Perhaps they can start rebuilding the Indian sandalwood forests soon!

Reine