Code of Conduct

Default My Water Damaged Purchases

Last month we had very severe storms down here in Melbourne, and a set of shops a 150 yards from where I work got flooded. Today I went by the perfume shop in there, browsed aorund, and was scratching my head.

I spotted gift sets of :
    Nautica Voyage (100ml EDt, 30ml EDT, Aftershave Balm 75ml and Deodorant stick) going for A$30 (US$27) and
    Polo Original (118ml EDT, Aftershave Balm 100m and deodorant stick) going for A$44.50 (US$40.50).

I asked what the story was, as I'd never seen Polo original that cheap down here. The girl replied that the gift sets' top covers had been water damaged, and hence the heavy discount. So I bought them, as well as a Polo Double Black deodorant stick for A$3, which had slight damage on its cover.

And this all took place after I'd just bought some nifty pairs of Diesel and Morrisey sunglasses, with their authentic cases, a few shops down from the perfume shop - and they were reduced by 85% (to about the same price as their equivalent knock-off sunglasses).

That was a pleasant way to spend a half hour's lunch time walk.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 13th April 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Default Re: My Water Damaged Purchases

It depends on how "pristine" you like your scents. If I pay premium, I want my boxes sealed with cellophane and bottles in perfect condition. It sounds like only the *boxes* were damaged and the inside scents were undamaged. If you don't want the boxes, be happy with your savings.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Its a shame we haven't had anything like that in Perth after our hail storm two weeks back. Unless you want a damaged car, that is...
    The cheap sunnies sound like a steal too!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    It depends on how "pristine" you like your scents. If I pay premium, I want my boxes sealed with cellophane and bottles in perfect condition. It sounds like only the *boxes* were damaged and the inside scents were undamaged. If you don't want the boxes, be happy with your savings.
    If one is buying them as a present, I agree. But only the top cover was damaged, the contents totally untouched.

Polo was the classic that I'd never bought - mainly because I didn't used to like it much, but for some weird reason it's been growing on me every time I've tested it the last three months - but I was never going to pay around $100 for a bottle.

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Its a shame we haven't had anything like that in Perth after our hail storm two weeks back. Unless you want a damaged car, that is...
    The cheap sunnies sound like a steal too!
    Hi Anthony,
    I've been scratching my head lately at prices around that former Direct Factory Outlet place. The three pairs of sunglasses were reduced from a notional $650 to $98. A month back at the Fletcher Jones store in the same complex I paid $100 for a Fletcher Jones suit that fitted me perfectly, reduced from $550. Last week at another Fletcher Jones in another DFO, I bought a Navy Fletcher Jones reefer jacket (gold buttons etc) reduced from $435 to $80, and four pairs of pants reduced from around $120 each to $30, as well as another Fletcher Jones suit for $100. What's amazed me is not just the heavy discounts, but that they all fit perfectly. I normally have a devil of a time finding clothes that fit me. But at Timberland, the shoes I bought were reduced only from $200 to $60, so the percentage reduction wasn't as great.

Funny thing those hail storms we've been having. According to one radio station, hardware stores have been doing a good trade in those hammers with the round heads. But apparently the hail stone dents in cars are nowhere near as symmetrical as those delvered by the hammers. Could be some interesting insurance disputes coming up.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I've seen a 3.4 Voyage for 24.99 at TJ Maxx. I've also seen Polo in a 4 oz for under 30 bucks but not in many years since its become more popular again. Enjoy those though, nice finds indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I've seen a 3.4 Voyage for 24.99 at TJ Maxx. I've also seen Polo in a 4 oz for under 30 bucks but not in many years since its become more popular again. Enjoy those though, nice finds indeed!
    Thanks. You have to remember though - most consumer items in America are a lot cheaper than in just about any other advanced economy (except for car insurance, health insurance, health care and prescription drugs). When I can get scents at prices anywhere near what you can get them for at T.J.Maxx or Marshall's, I'm a happy person.
    I'm not that happy when I go to Europe. Italy sometimes discounts its scents by 20%, and the situation didn't seem much better in the numerous otehr countries I've visited there. The only worse places I know are the so called Duty Free stores at airports.
    Renato
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hi Anthony,
    I've been scratching my head lately at prices around that former Direct Factory Outlet place. The three pairs of sunglasses were reduced from a notional $650 to $98. A month back at the Fletcher Jones store in the same complex I paid $100 for a Fletcher Jones suit that fitted me perfectly, reduced from $550. Last week at another Fletcher Jones in another DFO, I bought a Navy Fletcher Jones reefer jacket (gold buttons etc) reduced from $435 to $80, and four pairs of pants reduced from around $120 each to $30, as well as another Fletcher Jones suit for $100. What's amazed me is not just the heavy discounts, but that they all fit perfectly. I normally have a devil of a time finding clothes that fit me. But at Timberland, the shoes I bought were reduced only from $200 to $60, so the percentage reduction wasn't as great.

Funny thing those hail storms we've been having. According to one radio station, hardware stores have been doing a good trade in those hammers with the round heads. But apparently the hail stone dents in cars are nowhere near as symmetrical as those delvered by the hammers. Could be some interesting insurance disputes coming up.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I could imagine some very 'intelligent' Aussie's trying this!
    I believe in WA the government implemented a change so that cars that are written off, but still road-worthy, are returned to the original owner.

By the way I sent you a PM regarding the water damaged sales- I have a friend in Melbourne there for the week from Perth, and I'm sure she'd like to know where you got some of these bargains.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576