Code of Conduct

Default Summer/Winter? I don't get it.

I've been wearing Mama Bear's "Dragon's Blood" lately, which is an incense/amber/vanilla scent with floral notes like rose and jasmine, and a touch of citrus blood orange and grapefruit in the very background.

It's a very deep, very warm scent.

I wear it going out at night.

And mind you, the summer days here have recently been hotter than hell. A couple of my friends (most of my friends are girls) have been all over it.

It's been brought to my attention recently that this isn't exactly summer wear; in fact, people wear different stuff during the summer. Citrus, apparently. I've been exploring this; I have a couple good citrus and spice things from Saint Charle's Shave, and am grabbing more from Mama Bear's.

My best guess is that the deeper, warmer, smokier and headier notes of thick floral (like strong rose) and vanillas or incense are offensive to the senses when it's hot and humid and the mucus membranes are moistened. Crisper citrus, spices, and light floral should be more tolerable and alluring.

Just a guess.

Can anyone explain?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Summer/Winter? I don't get it.

Fragrances have a texture to me, like fabric - they can be enveloping and cuddly like cashmere sweaters and woolen blankets, or cool and crisp like breezy linen blouses and silk scarves. Warm and cozy fragrances for me tend to be opulent orientals and heady florals, or very earthy and deep green mossy chypres, and most incense fragrances and rich and sweet gourmands. Others make me feel refreshed and invigorated - sheer florals, bright green chypres, citrus, aquatics...you get this idea. But you might find that some of your heavier scents work fine in warm weather if you just apply a bit less. Not everyone experiences scent the same way, so you really should wear what makes you feel good no matter what time of the year it is.

Nods, that's ... a more abstract way of putting what I said about mucus membranes I guess, but it makes more sense.

This is interesting.

You can’t (or at least i can’t) tell from the notes if a fragrance goes along well with hot weather. Though, of course the things you already mentioned are a hint in the right direction: citrus, aquatics, etc. But that’s not exclusive. Anything else might also work, but you will have to try it. Ice tea is great as a refreshment on a hot summer’s day, but so is hot tea or coffee. If you feel comfortable with your scent and you even get compliments, it’s perfect, isn’t it. You maybe don’t want to smell fresh but attractive.

Another point is that normally in hot weather sillage is much ... erm ... better. So an already rich and powerful scent can become overpowering and annoying. And sweat could add to what the fragrance would smell normally like which isn’t necessarily great. This is why fresh scents are more safe, f.ex. when you go to work or visit a client.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    Another point is that normally in hot weather sillage is much ... erm ... better. So an already rich and powerful scent can become overpowering and annoying.
    Due to the increased evaporation of EOs and FOs?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't think those cooler weather fragrances are offensive to my senses (or mucous membranes) in the heat, they're just not exactly appealing to me, even if I think the scent is a nice one.

And yes, the sillage is stronger on warmer skin because the molecules actually jump off (burn off) hot surfaces faster than from cool surfaces. It's just like boiling water - the steam is more vigorous when you turn the heat up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the way I've always figured it, since it hot weather fragrances project much stronger the 'summery' scents are often considered weaker. Winter scents are usually quite potent and almost give the feeling of warmth with spices that remind you of warm months (like cinnamon, nutmeg, leather, or vanilla).

That's just my take on it, anyway.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Post Thanks / Like

What are summer scents? Flowers, citrus fruits, aquatic freshness...

What are winter scents? Woods, incense, port wine, cinnamon, amber...

Think of the difference between a sunny field off the coast of a tropical ocean and a fireplace burning in a mountainbound cottage.

Post Thanks / Like

Summer? Winter? Yeah, axial tilt - what is UP with that? Dude, when your planet's off-kilter, what can go right with your day?

As for me, my home town never gets hot enough for me to exile my heavier scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Summer? Winter? Yeah, axial tilt - what is UP with that? Dude, when your planet's off-kilter, what can go right with your day?

As for me, my home town never gets hot enough for me to exile my heavier scents.

So up in Canada I guess it's hard to be Mr. Cologne guy, then?
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    So up in Canada I guess it's hard to be Mr. Cologne guy, then?
    It's more a west coast thing than a Canada thing. The same is true where I'm visiting just now, San Francisco, but not true of, say, Toronto, which gets muggy and miserable in the summer ( Ontario only has two seasons - snow, and smog ).

Post Thanks / Like

It's more a west coast thing than a Canada thing. The same is true where I'm visiting just now, San Francisco, but not true of, say, Toronto, which gets muggy and miserable in the summer ( Ontario only has two seasons - snow, and smog ).
    And to think, I've heard so many good things about Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

And to think, I've heard so many good things about Canada.
    Tastes vary. Some folks actually like winter. As for me, I've sequestered myself into the mildest spot in Canada, and usually the worst I have to face is rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Tastes vary. Some folks actually like winter. As for me, I've sequestered myself into the mildest spot in Canada, and usually the worst I have to face is rain.
    So what is the average Summer temp and what is the average Winter temp? What kind of extremes do you have to deal with? I've toyed with the thought of moving up there.

And to stay on subject, do citrus or aquatics project up there in that kind of temperature at all?

Post Thanks / Like

So what is the average Summer temp and what is the average Winter temp? What kind of extremes do you have to deal with? I've toyed with the thought of moving up there.

And to stay on subject, do citrus or aquatics project up there in that kind of temperature at all?
    Victoria's weather from the Gonzales weather station ( the airport is a ways out of the city and has different weather ):

January ( coldest month ): 37.4F min 44.6F max
    August ( warmest month ): 53.1F min 68.2F max
    December ( wettest month ): 4.29inches
    July ( driest month ): 0.55inches
    Yearly rainfall: 23.9inches
    Annual sunshine: 2223 hours

Snow isn't even. We'll get one year with a week with a big dump of snow then two or three years with next to no snow, in my experience. It can get over 90F, I've seen it near 100F, but these are extreme, record-breaking events not typical of the cool climate.

I noticed in the south fragrances just EXPLODE off the skin in the summer heat and humidity. There is nothing like that up here; summers are mild and dry, winters are cool and wet.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 14th April 2010 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rotate my frags out by Summer/Winter seasons either...it's usually very mild year round here in western WA, lotsa rain and nowhere near enough sunshine

Post Thanks / Like

January ( coldest month ): 37.4F max 44.6F min
    August ( warmest month ): 53.1F min 68.2F max

It can get over 90F, I've seen it near 100F, but these are extreme, record-breaking events not typical of the cool climate.
    I'm confused by these numbers. In January the highest it gets is 37 and the lowest it gets is 44, lol? Also, confusing heat numbers, like max 68, but then you said up to 90-100.

Either way, I expected cold all year around almost, lol.

Here in Summer anywhere between noon and 6 pm, it is 85-100 every day of summer basically. I don't know the exact statistics, but summers are rough. I live in Georgia.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused by these numbers. In January the highest it gets is 37 and the lowest it gets is 44, lol? Also, confusing heat numbers, like max 68, but then you said up to 90-100.

Either way, I expected cold all year around almost, lol.

Here in Summer anywhere between noon and 6 pm, it is 85-100 every day of summer basically. I don't know the exact statistics, but summers are rough. I live in Georgia.
    I fixed it now. I gave the average temperatures, versus the extremes. I was here on the record hottest day, and Victoria and surrounds recorded temperatures in the upper 90sF, but this is extremely rare for here.

Summers get much hotter inland, away from the sea, and also colder in winter. The seas keep us moderate.

As for Georgia, I've been in Savannah at 102F, so I know what that feels like.

PS: Apologies to the OP for thread derailment.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 14th April 2010 at 07:51 AM.

Is it just me or does it seem like every 'summer note' listed is feminine?
    Last edited by Asmo; 15th April 2010 at 02:58 PM.

I really don't get the concept of "summer" and "winter" fragrances, just as I don't get the concept of "men's" and "women's" or "old" and "young" fragrances. It reminds me of the antiquated rules about when you could wear white shoes, what colors you could wear when and with what, and all that other 20th century nonsense. Wear what you like, whenever you want to.

GalambBorong, we had temperatures of 100-105F here in Seattle last summer! That must have been when you Canadians had temps in the 90s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    I really don't get the concept of "summer" and "winter" fragrances, just as I don't get the concept of "men's" and "women's" or "old" and "young" fragrances. It reminds me of the antiquated rules about when you could wear white shoes, what colors you could wear when and with what, and all that other 20th century nonsense. Wear what you like, whenever you want to.
    EXACTLY, well said Doc Elly.

GalambBorong, we had temperatures of 100-105F here in Seattle last summer! That must have been when you Canadians had temps in the 90s.

I live about an hour north of Seattle at the base of the Cascade foothills, those temps are so rare around here. Personally, I welcome the *global warming*

Post Thanks / Like

Well, of couse! I don't think anyone is suggesting that there are any rules about when you should wear certain fragrances, but - at least for me - certain fragrances absolutely "feel" snuggly and warm - just right on a chilly day. Others seem cooler and fresher which is great when it's hot out - that's all. But naturally, everyone is different and should wear what appeals to them, global seasonal variances aside. He's from the U.S. so I understood the spirit of what bluefoxicy was asking when he said "Summer" and "Winter" and tried to address it with that in mind.

I absolutely agree that fragrances have no age or gender, but I don't find it too personally constricting to have a warm-weather wardrobe and a cool-weather wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a personal taste thing. I also definitely have some colognes that just scream SUMMER! To someone else it could be completely wrong for the warmer months. It's what you feel is appropriate. Like, I would feel odd if I warm something like apple pie during July. It just feels like a winter smell, but that's just me.

There is an exception to even that, as well. Sometimes I like to be reminded of a time or season and I use my cologne to get me there. I remember during the winter I would wear Tommy Bahama just to remember the smell of the beach and to think of all the fun I would be having in a few months.

I like things like Habit Rouge in warm weather, despite its seemingly "wintery" smell. In fact, I think I like the smell of Guerlinade better than just about anything, anytime. But there are some scents that do better on my skin when it's warm, like Ma Griffe... in colder weather it seems too harsh, in warmer, I guess my skin oils and (gasp) sweat mingle with the scent and make it much nicer.

Of course my skin is quite dry during the winter, which makes a big difference in how a scent lasts and how it smells.

So there are winter and summer scents for me, but they're not always the "trads" ... and yes, it is as silly as "rules" about white shoes, in my opinion.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post

My first summer in Seattle was kind of warm and dry... by Bumbershoot it got to 100. That's hard to take when many folks don't have AC.

In Oklahoma, where I am living now, it regularly goes over 100 in the summer... and not always dry heat either, sometimes it's muggy as anything. (when it gets over 100 for a regular period of time it does dry out, the wind is blast-furnace-like.) I'm guessing I'll have some interesting experiences with sillage/longevity when that time of year arrives. Hoping it won't be too hot this year for my veggie garden's sake <and for my own>)

We had an oddly Seattle-like fall and winter '09, and more snow than I've seen in quite some time... and the plants are coming out in appreciation right now. So the least I can do is comply and break out in gorgeous scent to celebrate!

(oh... sorry for the double-post... I'm apparently incorrigible that way.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 15th April 2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    (oh... sorry for the double-post... I'm apparently incorrigible that way.)