Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Malle's JCE offering Cologne Bigarade, deceptive in it's approach?

Finally, got my hands on this rather beautiful scent from Malle stable. it's nothing out of this world - pure, light, citrus with hints of green and muscs. It's approach is soft. I helped my self with 5 sprays around neck and 7 on fabric, it still came across soft and pleasing. Bombay summers are here and these are the times when one appreciates such scents even more. in the sense, it doesnt interfere too much, it's just there whenever you need it kinds.

So, i mentioned it's, light, soft et al on application...so, that should mean it should fade away by now (10 hrs), isnt it? wrong. It's still lingering giving glimpses of each phase. something i truly appreciate JCE for. he can hold a note forever. Which makes me think, he never wanted it loud, at the same time, he wanted to create the longest lasting cologne. Which is what it is. Another winner from Malle.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is Malle's JCE offering Cologne Bigarade, deceptive in it's approach?

Well this is one JCE scent that I never given enough skin time to, to let it reveal it's intricacies. I always went for the full on Bigarade Concentree, which has been on my To Buy list for too, too long...I need to get a bottle one of these days, or at the very least a large decant.

Do you enjoy the BC also jenson?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is Malle's JCE offering Cologne Bigarade, deceptive in it's approach?

Mike, i love Bigarade Concentree! BC is much stronger and stark than CB. Everything about it is pronounced. it has a very creamy, almost vanillic drydown, which i love. i always thought of it as a niche version of Chanel Allure Edition Blanche.

I don't think any scent fades away after 10 hours if you apply 12 sprays.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Jenson. I really love cologne bigarade too!

However, I like Bigarade Concentree even more, as it amps up that dirty orange peel note for a super juicy and bitter opening and then dries down a little drier than the original. Both are great though, and highly underrated.

My favorite aspect of BC is how the musk is very minimal (if existent at all) while the scent still has a lot of character and animalic fascets due to heavy doses of hay (or coumarin) and cumin. It smells quite natural too - I've been complimented on it before, and simultaneously asked if I just ate an orange lol

Edit: Oh, and btw both versions last quite long on me too, however olfactory habituation tends to happen quite fast (not to mention that the top notes die down considerably within a half hour), thus the often-commented frustration at their longevity. I get about 12 hours with BC with 1 spray to each wrist. I totally agree that Cologne Bigarade is a success in terms of lasting quite long for a cologne, as well as being subtle, natural and unique for an EdC.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 14th April 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had a chance to buy blind between Bigarade Cologne and Bigarade Concentree, it was no brain drainer that I chose Concentree. I had read enough longevity horror stories about the cologne. So I have never sniffed the Cologne so far. I love the rotten orange note in Concentree. Though it is not a summer powerhouse but longevity is not bad for this one. Now that you are talking of Cologne, I'd open my mind to testing it. Man, if this is lasting 10 hours in Mumbai heat, that's quite a feat.

I am sure it must be more natural smelling than Concentree. For someone who's tested both, can you tell if the difference is akin to the difference between Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte & EDOV Concentree? I think EDOV smells sooo soo much better than EDOV Concentree even though longevity has been improved in EDOV C, it doesn't have the natural smelling character of the original.

Post Thanks / Like

Gupts: Both smell natural.. the change is in concentration. but you are right, CB smells much more closer to how we would imagine a citrus would smell like. wonderful interpretation. i think the trick with this is to wear it liberally on Skin + fabric for it to linger whole day

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked Cologne biggarade, but could not stand biggarade concentree.
    Biggarade cocetree and Neroli portofino for me both suffer from the same underlying synthetic note.
    But thanks for the post, as I'm gonna retest Cologne biggarade in the dead of summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I don't think any scent fades away after 10 hours if you apply 12 sprays.
    Guerlain Imperiale?
    Creed's Citrus Biggarade ?
    Even with 20 sprays, on skin, these both go away much sooner than 10 hours imo
    And eau d'orange verte is almost as slight.