Code of Conduct

Default A few interesting finds....any info?

Hi all,

I've read lots of valuable info here over the years, and have seem to acquired more frags than I ever figured would be the case. Funny how that works. I've developed an appreciation for many fine scents and it's been a welcome addition to daily life.

I found a few items recently while browsing an estate sale......some things I'd wanted to try for a while. I picked up a full bottle of the old version Havana(Nieman Marcus $37.00 price tag) and a Yatagan set....both of which I was happy to finally be able to sample. The other bottle is an unopened 12 ounce frosted glass decanter of Aramis. Heh, that's one I'll never be able to use because the seal hasn't been cracked, but I am curious about when it was offered in the stores. Same thing with the Yatagan. I did some research, but couldn't find any bottle with the label mine has. Oh, these are two ounce bottles. One's labled 'After Shave' and the other is 'Pour Monsieur', which seems a bit stronger. The case is what the set came in.

I'm hoping some members might know about these two items. One benefit of joining a forum is being able to ask smart people questions, and I'd appreciate any input or history about these pleasant finds.

Thanks,

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dodger; 15th April 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Default Re: A few interesting finds....any info?

Im afraid I can offer no insights Martin, but I would like to say congratulations! Thats some haul!

Hi again,

So, did I play a successful game of 'Stump the Scent Savants'? I figured at least a couple members might be able to fill in some history about these items. Hmmm, maybe I was too optimistic and expecting too much. I admit to knowing almost nothing about older fragrances(new ones too for that matter), but I thought there'd be someone with the arcane knowledge to provide some info. Oh well. Heh, how's that for a gentle prodding with a dull stick.

Maybe I should stop at the local Macys or J C Penny store and ask the salesperson. Yeah, that should do the trick nicely......

Martin

Oh, thanks for the nice words Demetri.
    Last edited by dodger; 14th April 2010 at 09:52 PM.

Google and ebay will ultimately be your biggest allies in finding out more about these Martin.
    As for the Yatagan, the presentation is probably mid 70's when it was launched. This is the first incarnation of the bottle and packaging.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 14th April 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations on your vintage finds! You are my kind of Basenoter with serious bargain hunting skills. The thrill of the chase is part of the fun for me....

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Congratulations on your vintage finds! You are my kind of Basenoter with serious bargain hunting skills. The thrill of the chase is part of the fun for me....
    Yeah, it's always nice to find an unexpected treasure or two, and estate sales are the place for those. Many times these will be run by a professional company, but certainly not all. With what I mostly look for(shaving items), nothing's priced very high anyplace, so doesn't much matter who's setting prices. I have found a couple real shaving related gems for amazingly low prices, since most people think that stuff is junk.

This fragrance thing started over three years ago, being directly related to the various shaving soaps/creams I enjoy. Yes, I know the ladies at TPC well.....heh. Many many samples and decants. It's been a strange journey so far, but I've been on stranger. I do like wearing lots of different things now.

I've also learned a little about what works for me...lots of trial and error. I know a bit about some of the more well known fragrances, and so I knew enough to grab these items in a hurry. Oh, I've worn the Havana three times now and it's a kick! I guess I should mention the other little treasure I found at the sale. This was a mostly full bottle of Old Spice, dating from the 80s. I confess to using that occasionally as a cologne instead of after shave. I have a small supply of vintage OS and was hoping to find more at the sale. These other bottles were quite a bonus, and luckily I knew they were well worth the price. Yes, everything was really on sale that (lucky)day.

Ok, that will do it.

Martin

Oh, thanks again Dimitri for the info.
    Last edited by dodger; 14th April 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Congratulations !