Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives the new Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain three stars (incl Burr's comments too)

'...Eau de Shalimar is, at least for the first 20 minutes or so, a case study in how to modernize a scent. While the 1925 version is a darkly lush mystery — the slightly musty hallways of exotic hotels — 2008 comes out of the bottle with the by-the-book bright citrus top note that young perfumers are being instructed to put on their commercial scents. (You can actually smell the creative directors taking aim at the 15-29 market demographic.)...'

For more of the NYT blog review, click here: http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...r-by-guerlain/

Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th March 2008 at 03:28 PM.

Wink Re: Burr gives the new Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain three stars

It's so odd that everyone keeps on insisting that Shalimar Light is discontinued. 2 weeks ago I saw it, with my own eyes, on the counter next to the regular Shalimar at Guerlain's Champs Elysee flagship store and at the Bon Marche. The light yellow juice in the clear blue bottle that came out in 2006, which I give *****.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th March 2008 at 01:53 PM.

Default Re: Burr gives the new Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain three stars

Is Shalimar Light the same thing as Eau de Shalimar?
    I have S Light and love it to bits. Bought in TKMAXX, which
    usually implies forthcoming extinction!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Is Shalimar Light the same thing as Eau de Shalimar?
    I have S Light and love it to bits. Bought in TKMAXX, which
    usually implies forthcoming extinction!!
    No Shalimar Light is not the same as Eau de Shalimar. A pic of SL is below. Similar bottle, but different

There initially was Shalimar Eau Leger, which was done by Laurent, and then it was reformulated by JP Guerlain and reintroduced as Shalimar Light. The original was superior (imo).

I'm not sure why Guerlain had it on display...it has in fact been discontinued (it was only intended to be a limited edition).

I am a bit puzzled by these many recent variations on Shalimar from Guerlain. I thought the original Shalimar was still selling in huge numbers so as to be a cash cow ala Chanel No. 5. Or is it Mitsouko that consistently brings in the big bucks for Guerlain?
    -

I can' see that how Eau de Shalimar is going to be much different to the Shalimar Eau Legere?

I bought Shalimar Eau Legere and although I thought it was nice, it just wasn't a patch on the original! It lacked the superiority and quality of the original. I ended up selling it on Ebay in the end. I felt like I was cheating on my Shalimar wearing it! lol

I'll try the new one out at the Guerlain counter when it's released but I doubt that I would buy it as I would rather wear the real deal.

I don't understand why Guerlain needs to re-make Shalimar time and again. Perhaps the two flankers are great frags, but I feel like the strategy of naming them after a once-successful now-aging original draws clientele further away from the classics.

And don't get me started on the reformulation debacle and the de-oakmossing of so many of my favorites...can't they just move ahead and make new classics, and let the past be the glorious past?
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Looking at the Guerlain website, Shalimar is the only classic that they push forward as one of their star perfumes, along with the Instants and the Insolences.

It seems to be standard fragrance industry practice to produce these flankers of successful scents - I assume the marketing concept is that with a twist on an existing fragrance, customers know what they're buying into. I don't get that. I agree that it's both confusing for customers ("which one is it that Mum likes?") and it dilutes the image of the fragrance they're based on.

And yet... there are quite a lot of us on the board who say 'I'd love to love Shalimar/Mitsouko etc. but it just doesn't work for me'. I have to be honest and say that I'm seriously considering putting my modern Shalimar edt up for swap - I just can't cope with that bergamot blast. I'll certainly try the Eau de Shalimar and hope it will work better for me.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I see your point Wordbird, and it's true that many classics don't have as much "wiggle room" about them - they either work or they don't.

The trend seems to be to make frags more compromising...from a strictly business perspective, it makes perfect sense. That doesn't mean they're all bad, but for me a good chunk of a frag's character goes missing when everything is made to work for everyone, or when it is reformulated to be this way.

Can you imagine if this were Guerlain's strategy from the start? They would have never become the house they were. No matter what your politics may be, I think we can all agree that business in general never cared much for legacies or leaving well enough alone despite any PR statements to the contrary.

Just one man's opinion...*steps off soapbox*
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Burr gives the new Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain three stars (incl Burr's comments

UPDATE - this morning they posted an update to the Eau de Shalimar review I posted above - with actual replies in the comments from Burr. Interesting tidbits of info on Guerlain, etc.

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...alimar-review/

According to Guerlain's PR-worker Isabelle Rousseau it's exactly the same juice in a new packaging: "je vous informe que la fragrance Eau de Shalimar est la même que Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée, réalisée par Jean-Paul Guerlain."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No Shalimar Light is not the same as Eau de Shalimar. A pic of SL is below. Similar bottle, but different.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Burr gives the new Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain three stars (incl Burr's comments

See recent review and discussion at Now Smell This.
    Someone really must have a word with Guerlain's Marketing Department.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Burr gives the new Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain three stars (incl Burr's comments too)

I bought Eau Legere at a Marshall's discount store when they were phasing it out. I enjoy it a great deal, and more so than the EDP. I enjoy the larger amount of citrus and it is less smoky and sweeter.

The Eau de Shalimar is now available at these discounters. A phasing out of Eau de Shalimar so soon?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.