Code of Conduct

Question Is Carolina Herrera Chic any good??

Hi

I've read a lot of good reviews about Carolina Herrera Chic but have never managed to try it. Im not really a big fan of spicy scents to be honest - so Im not sure if I'd like this.

I'm really intrigued by the notes however and am thinking of buying this blind. But before I do, I just wanted some comments from fellow Basenotes members regarding how spicy this actually is. Also, is it comparable to any other scents?? I've read a couple of reviews comparing it to Paco XS which I like, so maybe I'll like this....

Thanks

Default Re: Is Carolina Herrera Chic any good??

There have been other threads about this particular fragrance lately, so you may want to do a quick thread search (I presume that's why people have yet to respond to your post).

I have had the pleasure of sampling this fragrance twice and I've enjoyed it both times, but not enough to make a purchase. On my skin, I got mostly pepper and musk. Of course you do get the watermelon and lemon combination in the top notes, but that fades quickly and you're left with the spices from the heart notes. Finally, what I get is pepper and musk. If I had to compare this to something else, I guess I would say it's similar to Lanvin L'Homme or 212 for Men (I can kinda understand the XS reference), but it's distinct in its own right. Also, the projection on me was an issue. I found it was hard to detect the fragrance after only an hour. It could have been due to olfactory fatigue but I only sprayed it on my wrist and I wasn't sniffing too often. Go to Scentmonkey.com and order a $3 sample. Blind buys are for experienced experts!

iqi8h8j74qfeelocowmanqqro

O, it's my SOTD
    Yes, it's good. For me it's similiar to D&G Pour Homme, but softer. I am not sure i would use it in hot weather. It's a longlasting fragrance.

One day in 2006, I caught a whiff of its drydown from my friend and mistook it as DKNY Men (tall bottle). I asked him and it was Chic for men. The drydown is really nice, spicy, woody and has that vibe of tobacco. I also like its top note--fruity in a good way and different from others in the market. The longevity and sillage are above average.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I've been trying to get a good impression of this fragrance this week. When I wore it on my neck today, it was difficult for me to get a good impression of it. I guess it doesn't really jump off the skin like 212 does. However, I did put some on my arm yesterday and was able to get a good whiff that way. I think it is basically an aquatic take on the traditional cardamom/tonka bean frag. I kinda got the salty melon vibe on occasion as well, like with Creed Millisieme. As it dries down, it smells like a lighter version of something like YSL L'Homme to me. I think it could be renamed YSL L'Homme Summer version.

Blog Entries

Chic really isn't like XS, in my opinion. XS is very fresh and fruity/green. Chic is A LOT like YSL La Nuit de L'Homme, albeit fresher. It has the same "McDonald's apple pie" accord going on, but with a bit of freshness on top.

It's not exactly a fresh fragrance, it's kind of like a modern Old Spice in a way. I find it better for fall.

And yes, it is nice, but wearing it too much can make you sick of it, as it did for me.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I have one, the fragrance are very very elegant.
    But the lasting are horrific on me, less than 1 hour.

I tried with 15 sprays and nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I have one, the fragrance are very very elegant.
    But the lasting are horrific on me, less than 1 hour.

I tried with 15 sprays and nothing.
    I think if Chic would have the projection and longevity of 212 Men, it could be considered a classic. However, you really need at least 4 hours to be taken really seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I think if Chic would have the projection and longevity of 212 Men, it could be considered a classic. However, you really need at least 4 hours to be taken really seriously.
    To me the smell are very versatile.
    You can go to work, to a meeting, to a date. Evening, morning, day. Hot, cold.

If the last was more than 1 hour.......