Code of Conduct

Default Just another office fragrance thread

So I just washed out my Dior Homme because few of my coworkers (and even me) started sneezing more than usually and 1 of them has allergy. I think it has something to do with Dior Homme ( I used just 2 spritz on chest but its going strong today) so I am looking for something different that is suitable for office enviroment (and hot temperatures).

I'd like to try Versacce pour Homme or Allure Home Edition Blanche but am open to your suggestion for unoffensive, LONG LASTING, masculine (because all my daily wears except of Aqva are more on feminine side - ADG, Gucci 2, CK one..) but sophisticated scent without huge sillage.

I think I am missing masculine woody/green fragrance but am open to any suggestions. Office is in IT segment so we wear just casual clothes. I am 28 yo btw .

CK
    Chanel
    Jil Sander
    Dior
    Hugo Boss
    Givenchy
    Kenzo
    Armani
    Gucci
    Versace
    Davidoff
    DKNY
    Herrera
    Lancome
    Dolce and Gabbana
    Lacoste
    Ralph Lauren
    Paco Rabanne

This are designers I can sample easy so it would be nice if it is from this houses.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 14th April 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Default Re: Just another office fragrance thread

I am testing Allure Homme Edition Blanche & Versace Eau Fraiche right now.

AHEB started nice, lemon + bit of vanilla, now I am 2,5 hours since opening and I am getting tired of it. This is IMO 1 dimensional fragrance, too much lemon for my taste, I would like it better with more vanilla and oranges instead of lemon. Now I cant choose if its fragrance or lemon drink. It smells more expensive and sophisticated than Versace but its still overpriced. I would get it if it costs 20 Euros instead of 60 for 50ml.

Eau Fraiche had more interesting opening. It was very fresh and kinda mysterious (in the way of Light Blue for women), but later it starts to loose its appeal, well mixed mix became chaotic and sour on my skin like Bulgari Aqva, Platinum Egoiste or Herrera for Men. I may get this just because it can be found cheap.

I also tried Lacoste Essential Sport on test strip, and it had awesome opening but 1 hour later I smelled just cheap alcohol.

Tomorrow I would like to try Versace PH, or anything that BN crowd recommend me to try.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 14th April 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Gucci Pour Homme 1- brown bottle- very Sophisticated. 1 spray should do the trick, and I get 8+ hours longevity.

I will try Gucci PH1, thank you for suggestion. But isnt it too spicy/strong for hot weather?

BTW Allure Blanche, 3,5 hours since application became close to skin, and more woody sweet (thats good) rather than lemony.

Gucci PH1 is spicy and strong, but I just go with 1 spray on my chest..... good for the day!

Have u tried CD Eau Sauvage extreme version; get a 6+ hours longevity.

Since you can sample Armani, try Armani Eau Pour Homme. Very sophisticated, very inoffensive. It does open with a lemon-citrus note, but it is not overbearing and there are herbs to offset it. Very nice, masculine drydown. It may be a bit dressy for casual clothes, but it's well worth sampling.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Since you mentioned woody/green frags, I immediately thought of 212 Men by Herrera. Also, 212 on ice is a bit different and may also be worth considering.

They dont carry older Armani/Dior fragrances here so I cant test Eau Savage or Armani Pour Homme.

I tested 212 Men already and it smelled better on test strip than on me. On my skin 212 Men turns sour in hour or two.

A classic which can be obtained easily and quite cheaply is Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme:

It's pretty popular over in UK, not sure about Slovakia, but it's a well made Mediterranean-style fragrance - lemon and sage on top and a great woody base with a tobacco note in the drydown - sort of unburnt cigarettes - dry and aromatic.

paco rabanne ph ,has maturity and class ideal for a work environment it's classy but not snobby or too classy that you cannot wear it for work.

I wore Quorum (just one spray) to work once and a woman said, "Someone smells good." So I don't wear it to work any more because I don't want to be noticeable enough for someone to comment. That said, about one spray of any of the following seems suitable for work:

YSL: Jazz, Live Jazz, Pour Homme, Rive Gauche
    Taylor of old Bond St: Sandalwood
    Armani: Eau Pour Homme
    Azzaro: Pour Homme
    RL: Safari for Men

When I think of basic everyday simple office scents.. I think of Eternity and Herrera. Neither project very much, but are not completely "skin scents". Both last for a decent amount of time. Then there's Drakkar Noir which many consider a powerhouse. In a sense it is.. if you go with the normal application that you usually do to make it such a powerhouse. DN is the type of fragrance that's gonna make or break depending on how much you put on. It will also affect the sillage tremendously. However, if you apply less, for example: 1/2 spray to each side of the neck, 1/2 a spray to each wrist and avoid the chest on this if you don't want such sillage because DN does project, then you should be able to wear this successfully to the office and enjoy it, without carrying all that sillage around. I know this isn't the woodsy office scent that you're looking for, DN is anything but woodsy. But, if you find something you like that's basic and calm or even linear to accommodate you in that office environment then you should be able to take your pick at which woodsy fragrance you'd like.

I just got a bottle of Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo for Spring/Summer office wear. Very light and seasonally perfect for the office as it lays close to the skin.

Dependent

Something woody/green and quite discreet and modern is Lalique's Encre Noire, IMO. Dry, inky, vetiver-y, a bit of soil, but still has a "fresh" feel to it. Definitely suitable for warmer conditions.

I think EN is quite easily affordable and accessible nowadays. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th April 2010 at 03:05 AM.

fresh frags are ok most do not project much, i would say avoid sweet, fruity, gourmands. woodsy and mature frags i think are good for office as well.

Chrome, Gucci Pour Homme II and Versace Pour Homme are some scents that I have that work excellent in my office.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Chanel Platinum Egoiste would be my pick.
    Can you find Bvlgari? Bvlgari pour Homme lasts forever but you can't smell it more than a foot away, might be appropriate for your co-workers.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste would be my pick.
    Can you find Bvlgari? Bvlgari pour Homme lasts forever but you can't smell it more than a foot away, might be appropriate for your co-workers.
    great picks i personally really like blvgari pour homme, that would be ideal for work.
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 15th April 2010 at 05:35 AM.

I already own Gucci 2 that seems to be most appropriate to office from my wardrobe but sometimes its too sweet and feminine (when I overaply to get better longetivity).
    I tried Chrome year ago and didnt like that metal note in it.
    I really loved Platinum Egoiste for first hour because of awesome fresh/green and masculine opening but later it became just sour as many other fragrances on my skin (or they may share some note that I dislike, huh?).
    I can sample most Bvlgaris so I will check PH later,
    Versace PH seems interesting, but I didnt try it on skin yet.
    Encre Noir will probably be too dark but I can give it chance if I find it somewhere.
    They carry just Opium, BK and M7 here from YSL, but Live Jazz sounds interesting to me thanks to its mint note and sweet base. This may be worth blind buy for its price. Can aswell order sample of Rive Gauche with it.
    There are many interesting ideas that I wont mention. Thanks everyone, I will try sample as much as I can but I think that they may hate me in store right now because I always just sample and buy online.. but f*** them, I wont pay them 60 Euros for 50ml of Body Kouros when I can buy it for 20 online.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I already own Gucci 2 that seems to be most appropriate to office from my wardrobe but sometimes its too sweet and feminine (when I overaply to get better longetivity).
    I tried Chrome year ago and didnt like that metal note in it.
    I really loved Platinum Egoiste for first hour because of awesome fresh/green and masculine opening but later it became just sour as many other fragrances on my skin (or they may share some note that I dislike, huh?).
    I can sample most Bvlgaris so I will check PH later,
    Versace PH seems interesting, but I didnt try it on skin yet.
    Encre Noir will probably be too dark but I can give it chance if I find it somewhere.
    They carry just Opium, BK and M7 here from YSL, but Live Jazz sounds interesting to me thanks to its mint note and sweet base. This may be worth blind buy for its price. Can aswell order sample of Rive Gauche with it.
    There are many interesting ideas that I wont mention. Thanks everyone, I will try sample as much as I can but I think that they may hate me in store right now because I always just sample and buy online.. but f*** them, I wont pay them 60 Euros for 50ml of Body Kouros when I can buy it for 20 online.
    Its exactly the same in Australia, I walk into our retail stores only with the intention of sampling, I've probably only bought 4 or 5 fragrances from retail over here because they were at a big discount, and the rest from either Basenotes or via the internet. Full priced, most frags are ~90-110 AUD (about 60-70 Euro) in our department stores, and thats just for 50 mls. Unfortunately the average consumer is still happy to pay it, and so the prices just keep rising and rising...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Its exactly the same in Australia, I walk into our retail stores only with the intention of sampling, I've probably only bought 4 or 5 fragrances from retail over here because they were at a big discount, and the rest from either Basenotes or via the internet. Full priced, most frags are ~90-110 AUD (about 60-70 Euro) in our department stores, and thats just for 50 mls. Unfortunately the average consumer is still happy to pay it, and so the prices just keep rising and rising...

Yep its only worth to buy fragrances from retail here only if they are discounted too. Even then, they are more expensive than online... Only exception is Chanel (and some Diors), that holds its big price everywhere so in retail bottle costs just like 5-10 Euros more than online. Actually I dont know how this shops can survive because they are almost always empty and most people buy here fragrances just before X-Mas.

You mentioned you like vanilla and that you can sample Lacoste, so I'd suggest the Pour Homme. It's a dark, woodsy vanilla that kind of smells like semi-sweet caramel. Despite that description, this is not a gourmand. It's just very smooth and classy.

You could try D&G The One. It's a pit vanilla-y, but barely. Almost like a very lightly tropical woody scent with a hint of tobacco on the dry down.

Also, you didn't mention having access to Kenneth Cole, but if you get a chance they have a lot of good office options. Black and RSVP are more on the formal side. Anything off the Reaction line is more on the summer/energetic side.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Dependent

I missed the part where you mentioned your fondness for citrus + vanilla. One of my favorite contemporary and well-balanced vanilla + lemon concoctions = Shalimar Eau Legere/Light. Not to worry as this one isn't explicitly feminine or "oldie" smelling by most standards (me thinks), and the lemon isn't as sharp as the one in Edition Blanche.
    I highly recommend this light and casual twist on Shalimar.
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th April 2010 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    You mentioned you like vanilla and that you can sample Lacoste, so I'd suggest the Pour Homme. It's a dark, woodsy vanilla that kind of smells like semi-sweet caramel. Despite that description, this is not a gourmand. It's just very smooth and classy.

You could try D&G The One. It's a pit vanilla-y, but barely. Almost like a very lightly tropical woody scent with a hint of tobacco on the dry down.

Also, you didn't mention having access to Kenneth Cole, but if you get a chance they have a lot of good office options. Black and RSVP are more on the formal side. Anything off the Reaction line is more on the summer/energetic side.
    Nice suggestions. I sampled Lacoste Pour Homme half year ago and wasnt impressed. Something in it made me immediately throw away test stripr. D&G The One thats one I would like to try sometime. No Kenneth Cole here to sample.

Matthewfoo

You are right. There wasnt any part with citrus fondness in my posts Actually I am not looking for citrus fragrance (I started with Edition Blanche and Eau Fraiche just because I wanted to test them for long time) but rather something woody/green because I have no such fragrance in wardrobe, but I yet have to find something without sweet base that doesnt go too sour on my skin. Its funny that cheap colognes that my coworkers use made more impression on me than more expensive designers that I tried. (one is using all Playboys, and they smell great on him with huge sillage but none of them is annoying and other is using "something from Tesco stores" - I think that will be Crossman because its woody green)
    Last edited by dreamer81; 15th April 2010 at 08:54 AM.

Dependent

Thank you for clarifying Dreamer81, I hope you eventually find the scent you seek, all the best.

I know it's moderately hated here on BN, but I find that the original Hugo Boss is actually a pretty pleasing green. It could be construed to have a sweet based, but I perceive is as a mellow sweetness. It's kind of a pine smell, which would never interested me if I hadn't smelled it before hearing what it smelled like, but it's pulled off nicely in this one IMO.

Since you like woody smells and the Playboy scents, you might be interested in Victoria Secret: Very Sexy For Him and Very Sexy For Him 2.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    I know it's moderately hated here on BN, but I find that the original Hugo Boss is actually a pretty pleasing green. It could be construed to have a sweet based, but I perceive is as a mellow sweetness. It's kind of a pine smell, which would never interested me if I hadn't smelled it before hearing what it smelled like, but it's pulled off nicely in this one IMO.

Since you like woody smells and the Playboy scents, you might be interested in Victoria Secret: Very Sexy For Him and Very Sexy For Him 2.
    I smelled Hugo Boss once, actually it was when I was picking my first designer fragrance . I liked it lot and It was very close between Hugo and Aqva but I smelled just top notes on both and Hugo Boss has usually nice top notes on its fragrances but then become synthetic. I also checked reviews of both Very Sexy For Him and it looks interesting. I hope I can find them somewhere to test because they are quite expensive to buy blind. (found them for 45euros VS1 and 60euros VS2)
    Last edited by dreamer81; 15th April 2010 at 11:39 AM.

I'd hate to recommend Dirty English, but I will anyways.. It's a very dry woodsy scent -- some claim to smell citrus in there but I don't smell it. It also stays close to the skin, very close, and lasts quite long. But, it's often a love or hate one, so if you haven't tried it.. do not blind buy it. I personally can't stand it. Though the bottle makes me wanna down a bottle of whiskey.

Polo
    Last edited by Asmo; 15th April 2010 at 06:39 PM.

D&G Pour Homme and Versace PH are great suggestions. YSL L'Homme is perfect for the office too, although longevity is an issue. You may also consider Chanel's Allure Homme.

Since u 28 i would like to suggest. Get try to sample it and see how your impression

Polo Explorer
    Boss #6 by Hugo Boss
    The One by D&G
    Burberry London
    Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger
    Last edited by ruffin; 16th April 2010 at 06:51 AM.

Chanel Pour Monsieur is subtle and quite office-safe... though you might want a decant to refresh as the longevity is questionable.

Add Bvlgari Black, Guerlain Vetiver & Habit Rouge EDTs... they are all compliment-worthy and office-safe.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 16th April 2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: additions
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

rive gauche and m7 are good too

John Varvatos - Artisan Black
    Last edited by stoavio; 16th April 2010 at 05:04 AM.