Code of Conduct

Default Desperate To Try Creed Windsor

Does anybody have any idea how I can get a sample or decant of Windsor, other than from The Perfumed Court? I'll go there if I have to, but I'm sick of paying their exhorbitant prices (yes, I've heard the argument that they provide a unique and valuable service).

Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Desperate To Try Creed Windsor

their prices aren't that exorbitant.... especially if you just want a small amount.

doesn't sound like you are desperate enough.

Creed Boutique list for Chicago:

NEIMAN MARCUS - CHICAGO
    737 N. MICHIGAN AVE.
    CHICAGO, IL 60611

Don't know if they have testers for Windsor. Or if they would give you a sample.
    Creed Boutique offers samples if you purchase something anyway.
    Last edited by Lorag; 14th April 2010 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks for the info, Lorag. I already checked with Nieman Marcus and, unfortunately, they don't have Windsor.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

No store has Windsor. Not NM, not Saks, not even the NYC Creed Boutique, nor www.creedboutique.com

Maybe you can find someone on this website who will share, other than that, it's Perfumed Court for you.

FYI - Creed is releasing another 100 flacons this fall. It will be available through the NYC Creed Boutique only. If you want one, you need to call them and get on the list pronto. They are almost all accounted for.

I was in the NYC Creed boutique last week and they have Windsor available to sample in the store. They would not, unfortunately, give out a sample vial.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    I was in the NYC Creed boutique last week and they have Windsor available to sample in the store. They would not, unfortunately, give out a sample vial.
    I wonder, again, WHY does this happen? Samples are a way of MARKETING, for Heaven's sake. You are given a taste of a spiced ham or cinnamon roll in a store with the hopes that you will buy the product by the dozen.

Being stingy does not add up to good marketing sense.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    But it does make the product seem that much more rare, thus desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I wonder, again, WHY does this happen? Samples are a way of MARKETING, for Heaven's sake. You are given a taste of a spiced ham or cinnamon roll in a store with the hopes that you will buy the product by the dozen.

Why would they give out samples of it? They don't have any problem selling all stock of it. Also, with items like this, lots of people just take their samples and sell them on ebay or set it aside and forget about it. I agree that giving out samples can be a good way of marketing, but many people want free samples just for the sake of having a try, even if they have no plans of buying it at all. It's too costly to hand out free samples to every person if only a small fraction will complete the transaction. There's a whole thread here about free samples from companies - I would wager that less than 3% of those samples sent out will result in a full priced sale.

In this case, at least they let you sample Windsor in the store. What does make me balk is when you go somewhere that won't even let you try what's wrapped up on the shelf. That's stupid marketing.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 14th April 2010 at 05:48 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Why would they give out samples of it? They don't have any problem selling all stock of it. Also, with items like this, lots of people just take their samples and sell them on ebay or set it aside and forget about it. I agree that giving out samples can be a good way of marketing, but many people want free samples just for the sake of having a try, even if they have no plans of buying it at all. It's too costly to hand out free samples to every person if only a small fraction will complete the transaction. There's a whole thread here about free samples from companies - I would wager that less than 3% of those samples sent out will result in a full priced sale.
    I can certainly see that it's frustrating not to get a free sample, but I concur with much of the above. I do think WindyCity1014 is sincere in wanting to sample it and would serioulsy consider purchase. But I also think if you give out free samples, there are many who gather as many as they can and use for sale or swap.

I also think a novel fragrance like Windsor attracts a lot more sample requests than the average Creed or other frag. I belong to another forum in which I can envision at least 500 guys hitting up Creed for samples were they free. Wouldn't even want to guess at how many here would hit them up.

I can attest that the NYC Creed Boutique does sometimes give samples of Windsor out... to their best clients.

If you walk in, and they know you a bit, sure. The Creed rep at my Nieman who knows me a bit buries me.

Sending out mail order samples on request....

I assure you that I am not just looking for a freebie as I frequently pay for samples from Luckyscent and elsewhere. In any event, a fellow BN'er who I do a lot of swaps with offered to hook me up with a sample. Plus, a couple of other BN'ers sent me links to offsite sales of decants so I will probably go that route if I want more.

Brad
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

^^^^ I didn't think you were a "freebie" type...just saying I can see where it's an issue for companies

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    ^^^^ I didn't think you were a "freebie" type...just saying I can see where it's an issue for companies
    I understood that and didn't think you were saying anything negative. I was just clarifying in the context of the overall discussion.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I can understand not throwing out samples to just anybody. Creed is already an extremely well established niche perfume company that doesn't need to attract any new buyers really. Because the new buyers -- the younger and inexperienced probably aren't gonna throw down 200+ on a bottle of Creed. However I do think if people walked into the boutique, they should in fact give samples. It's not like every noob buyer is gonna come in there for free samples, it's probably gonna be mostly loyal customers who have made purchases there before. A flacon could easily make for hundreds of samples.. they wouldn't need more than one. Set aside 1 flacon for marketing to your already loyal customers, these are the people who you know aren't b/sing and are there because they are Creed enthusiasts looking to make a purchase. Pretty stingy on Creed's part.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 14th April 2010 at 08:14 PM.

I think Creed is usually quite accomodating to people "in store." Problem with Windsor right now is I don't think any of the stores (i.e. Saks) that got some to sell in the first round have any at all. I believe the next offering is through Creed Online Boutique and Creed store in Manhattan only.

One standard Creed flacon could make 250 1ml samples. But having gotten many Creed samples in the past, their standard sample vials seem to be at least 3ml.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th April 2010 at 08:51 PM.

Creed is just trying to make themselves nichier than niche, which works with most people, except us BNers who have dealt with them on various levels and don't buy their unaccommodating attitude. I believe its costs them close to nothing to pump out an additional 1-2L of juice to set aside for samples.

Or, the other debate could be, by not allowing samples of certain frags to run rampant, they can increase the chances of people willing to buy blindly and hence desperately, based on exclusivity of the juice alone. However, this could backfire big time in the long run.

Works either way doesn't it
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Let's remember for a moment that Creed does offer samples - and big, elegant, generous ones - for most of their products.

To give out samples of a product which is:

1. sold out now

2. *possibly* produced in another small batch which is already or almost sold out and they will have no problem selling

makes no commercial sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    No store has Windsor. Not NM, not Saks, not even the NYC Creed Boutique, nor www.creedboutique.com

Maybe you can find someone on this website who will share, other than that, it's Perfumed Court for you.

FYI - Creed is releasing another 100 flacons this fall. It will be available through the NYC Creed Boutique only. If you want one, you need to call them and get on the list pronto. They are almost all accounted for.
    The Chicago Nieman Marcus, although it never got any Flacons or atomizers of Windsor to sell, did recieve a tester for Windsor. It's a clear 2.5oz with italicised writing on the front Windsor

It should still have some left TS, unless one of the NM employes snagged it.
    So you can test it, but can't buy any at NM, should you like it LOL
    Last edited by DULLAH; 12th May 2010 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    The Chicago Nieman Marcus, although it never got any Flacons or atomizers of Windsor to sell, did recieve a tester for Windsor. It's a clear 2.5oz with italicised writing on the front Windsor

It should still have some left TS, unless one of the NM employes snagged it.
    So you can test it, but can't buy any at NM, should you like it LOL
    Well, I finally made it over to the Neiman Marcus store here in Chicago. Although a tester could not be located, the SA was able to find a 1.7 oz bottle of Windsor for sale and was kind enough to let me try a dab. must say that it is pretty damn spectacular. But $405 for 1.7 oz?!! That price is pretty insane.

Brad
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

$405 ouch for 50ml, must have been the leather flacon they wanted to sell. What does the 8.4oz/250ml splash bottle sell for in the USA at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    $405 ouch for 50ml, must have been the leather flacon they wanted to sell. What does the 8.4oz/250ml splash bottle sell for in the USA at the moment?
    It does come in the cool leather atomizer. If you can find it anywhere, I believe the 8.4 oz flacon was going for over $600.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

It stinks, but they force you to buy the 50ml in their leather atomizer which retails for $160. I like it. But I don't like it 8.4oz level.

If anyone wants some Windsor send me a private message.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

It stinks, but they force you to buy the 50ml in their leather atomizer which retails for $160. I like it. But I don't like it 8.4oz level.
    As I said, I was only able to try a small dab. How is the sillage and longevity?

Brad
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Did I hear it correctly from the SA who said that when it re-released, it will be in the regular Creed (smaller sized) bottles? That is what she had on the counter @ Saks.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    As I said, I was only able to try a small dab. How is the sillage and longevity?

Brad
    Sillage seems pretty low, but I have a pretty dense nose. Haven't gotten much feedback when wearing it. It's just my opinion, but this isn't the sort of scent that begs compliments. A bit cool and aloof. It does smell pricey. So hard for me to say exactly. There is a period after application for about an hour or so (like many frags) where I'm sure it's getting out there for sure when the rose notes kick in.

The longevity I would rate as quite good. Lasts through the workday on me. Weaker at 10 hours of course, but still present.

A fairly discreet scent I'd say.

As to Hyde65's comment, it would be nice if it were available in regular bottles at around $250.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th June 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post

Brad
    Terrible on both counts. one of the worst I have encountered. Sucks because the fragrance itself is the BEST i have encountered.

better in the summer than in the winter, due to humidity and skin dryness. but it takes repeated layers if you want it to last more than 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Did I hear it correctly from the SA who said that when it re-released, it will be in the regular Creed (smaller sized) bottles? That is what she had on the counter @ Saks.
    From what I've heard from the NYC Creed Boutique, no, that is not true. which wouldn't surprise me, the SA's at Sak's an NM will make up sh*t just for the hell of it. that small bottle you saw was for sampling only.

Right now they are in the process of making another 100 flacon's that will be sold exclusively through the Creed Boutique. They are all already accounted for (including yours truly!). It should be available to those customers sometime this fall.

Haven't gotten much feedback when wearing it. It's just my opinion, but this isn't the sort of scent that begs compliments. A bit cool and aloof..

A fairly discreet scent I'd say..
    I think there's a difference worth noting here. The reason you (and I) don't get many compliments is because nobody can smell it! The sillage is so small that only people who get REAL close can experience it.

That being said, as I described in another thread recently, I went on a date recently that included a long hug at the beginning and she absolutely couldn't get over how good I smelled with Windsor. She must have said it 3 times over the course of the night. Night ended with much more than a hug so I'd give it a thumbs up! ;-)

I know a lot people consider it a dressy and upscale scent... but I find the rose and pine combine to make it a very romantic and relaxed scent. Can be dressed down in jeans and a polo and be very sexy, or can be paired with a suit to exude class. Extremely versatile. I wouldn't box it in to the same category as, say, Vintage Tabarome.
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 16th June 2010 at 10:38 PM.

Both longevity and sillage are in the low range. Not as bad as a mostly natural citrus cologne, but (in my experience) it is hardly noticeable without relayering, after somewhere between 2.5 to 4 hours, sometimes it's hard to tell. Its best bloom, both in terms of presence but also of quality is within the 30 to 90 minutes period after application. Remember that the slogan it's been launched with was "Royalty needs not shout". People won't necessarily notice Windsor or, when they do, might even think it's kind of "simple," which it most definitely isn't.

On advice from some BN-ers, I tried "over"spraying (which for me meant trying once five sprays of Windsor, which I never do with perfumes, except for Citrus Bigarrade or Bois de Cedrat or Eau de Guerlain). It became a lot more noticeable of course (and being of such quality it never descends into being insulting, like other oversprayed perfumes) but, you know what?, I did in fact not enjoy it better. I think that a certain discretion and subtlety is an intended part of the nature of this masterpiece, which I wear with great pleasure for myself rather than for the world.

i also have windsor, pm me and we can possibly work a trade.

I really liked it when I tried it, but obviously it is one I will never own.....too bad.