Code of Conduct

Default Buying and Selling Ambergris

Hi All ... Do any of you have experience buying and selling ambergris for your perfume? Is it legal? Or is it regulated? Does it arrive disguised? I'm trying to get a sense of how easy it is to get hold of. Who provides good stuff? And then what ... you make our own tincture? How do you do that?

I'm writing a book on ambergris. I've emailed and chatted with some of you before. Hope you can help me with some of these questions ... they'll be important for my book. Feel free to private message me. You could even make it into the pages of my book. All best -- ck

Default Re: Buying and Selling Ambergris

Anyone? There must be someone out there who has some ambergris, or knows a good place to get some.

profumo sells it and has a very good reputation.

Thanks for the reply ... I think he's out of ambergris at the moment. I'd really love some, but his website says none is available. Anywhere else spring to mind, anyone?

where did you read that? i do not see it. on this page of the site, he offers ambergris tincture for sale.

Ah yes, I DID see that. But I wanted to have a go at making my own tincture. If you search the site for "ambergris" you'll see, clearly stated, that ambergris itself is not for sale, although its tincture is. That's for the response though ... and for helping me!!

This is where I bought 4 grams:

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/

You can see pics of what I received:

http://joxer96.spaces.live.com/

there's more useful info on ambergris in this great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by joxer96 View Post
    This is where I bought 4 grams:

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/

You can see pics of what I received:

http://joxer96.spaces.live.com/
    I second you on the new zealand source. You must tincture and age the ambergris for six months for the beauty to evolve.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Bump: (huge) chunk on the 'Bay right now (not my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ambergris-44-8g-...#ht_500wt_1156
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Linda at perfumers apprentice sells beach-ambergris tincture in 1 and 3%
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Just came back from Dubai, and I know that Ajmal currently has actual food-grade pure Ambergris stones. I want to their flagship store (in Deria) to inspect it, and it did look legit - I'm certianly not an expert but have seen it before, and moreover their reputation would not let them sell fake Ambergris. They were selling 11.35 grams (1 tola) for approx $275 with the current exchange rate.

You might have to google their telephone number to see if they would ship it to you or not though.

Hi...
    Im from Maldivesn I have a 13Kg Ambergris, pls let me know your interest to buy

My email: rifath2@hotmail.com
    Mobile: 00960 7782428

Rgds
    Mohamed Rifath

Hi Mohamed, would thirteen Rufiyaa for your 13 kilos of ambergris come out about right?

I might even be able to go for thirteen dollars!

Hi Mohamed from Maldivesn, First, sales have their own rules on Basenotes.
    I doubt that you meet those requirements.

Second, for a sale of this product, in this amount, a high degree of trust and reputation is necessary.

I'm happy for you if you actually have this much Ambergris, and happy that you have the ability to know what you have, and that with the sale of this, if you get a good price, you will have money.

But I think that probably your sales path needs adjustments.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Hi CK,

If you're writing a book on ambergris, you may be interested in this document on its origins...
    http://lajamjournal.org/index.php/la...wnload/231/183

Quote Originally Posted by cjkemp View Post
    Anyone? There must be someone out there who has some ambergris, or knows a good place to get some.
    Hi There,

Good Afternoon!

Warm Greetings From Sunny Maldives!

With reference to the above subject, please find attached a picture of the said ambergris currently in my possession.

I've got a total of 3 pieces in the following weights

13.70kg
    34.84kg
    19.90kg

TOTAL: 68.44 KG, available for immediate sale.

Should you wish to obtain additional information please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.

Regards,

Rizan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seem to be a lot of people finding Ambergris in Maldives these days.

I think that the people in New Zealand (see post #9) - buy it too.
    Last edited by lpp; 26th April 2013 at 05:34 PM.

Hi There,

Good Afternoon!

Warm Greetings From Sunny Maldives!

With reference to the above subject, please find attached a picture of the said ambergris currently in my possession.

I've got a total of 3 pieces in the following weights

13.70kg
    34.84kg
    19.90kg

TOTAL: 68.44 KG, available for immediate sale.

Should you wish to obtain additional information please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.

Regards,

RizanAmbergris.jpg

Yes, understood your first post, but think you'll find that:-

1) People here only tend to buy from people they already know.
    2) You don't qualify to post items for sale.
    3) There's a special selling area for those who do qualify.
    4) You need to find somewhere else to sell it - good luck.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st April 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks for the info IPP.. Would sincerely appreciate your advise on the criteria required for being qualified as a seller? Also, if you could guide me to the selling area? Im a newbie and would appreciate your kind advise.

Regards,

Rizan

It's under 'Marketplace' but they won't let you list it there.

You really need to find another place to sell it - maybe Ebay?
    The people in New Zealand mentioned below do buy genuine ambergris as far as I know.
    It's too expensive for people to gamble on!

Noted.. Yup I shall try ebay / amazon.. Thanks again IPP.. In the event if you do come across any interested clients, you may forward my email add "rizan_a@hotmail.com"

Thanks again and Have a Smashing Day ahead!

Regards,

Rizan

Good luck - don't know anyone who needs any thank u.

Given the obviously expected high price for this Ambergris, I don't have thousands of dollars to gamble with...

And there seems to be a rash of finding Ambergris, as someone mentioned...
    But a reputable seller is my only recommendation.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

68 kilo of ambergris. They found a sperm whale with 80 smth kilo in Holland and government took control of it and this happened first time in over 80 years. So yes ebay is the place for you ))

http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.co...perfume-makers

Ambergris is found in 1 out of 100 whales no surprise it's priced as high as gold.
    Last edited by outline; 24th April 2013 at 12:54 AM.

Has anyone looked at the OP date. Three years ago.... Chris posted it in 2010 and has long written the book and was given some Ambergris for it of all types.

Here is the book if you would like a copy. I'm sure he would be thrilled.

http://www.amazon.com/Floating-Gold-.../dp/0226430367

Yes, noticed that too, mumsy, thought maybe the title was the reason?

Thanks for the link, outline - found this interesting from there too:-
    http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.co...t-for-perfumes

Although of less interest to some recent posters perhaps ....
    Last edited by lpp; 24th April 2013 at 07:05 PM.

All these articles are peddling basic aromachemicals and isolates and are dressed up to look interesting. I have been messing with alternative natural based ambergris fixative replacements for years to try and harness the chemical in clary sage and also the element in pine. Neither have the same transformative powers on other ingredients as ambergris in my experience. They would also need to add chemicals for longevity but it can be made to smell similar.

I have been obsessed with it for years... can you tell? lol

If anyone wants decent real Ambergris, then send me a PM rather than get ripped off. If there is one thing I do have a fair bit of experience with, it is Ambergris. I tincture it all the time because I love it.
    Last edited by mumsy; 25th April 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Sorry, mumsy - being new to this sort of stuff, it was the bio-engineering aspect using bacteria in this case that I found interesting, although had heard of similar.

Tincturing it must be a lovely pastime - I've only ever bought it ready-made.
    Last edited by lpp; 25th April 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Sorry, mumsy - being new to this sort of stuff, it was the bio-engineering aspect using bacteria in this case that I found interesting, although had heard of similar.

Tincturing it must be a lovely pastime - I've only ever bought it ready-made.
    Sorry to you too. I wasn't actually being critical of you there. The written word sometimes looks harsh when it isn't meant that way. I was very interested and I think that the purpose of it is to develop a new aroma chemical. What the bacteria are doing is making the plant based molecule sclareol which is the main ingredient of Clary sage not ambergris.

The key phrase is at the end.
    ....Also, because of supply shortage and price inflation, a number of ambergris substitutes have been developed by the fragrance industry that are more cost effective.
    That says all we need to know. There is plenty of ambergris out there, enough for decent perfumes but the end consumers do not wish to pay the suppliers a decent price. The very passionate people who take a considerable amount of time and trouble to get the real stuff. Top end squeeze... and I know I am a cynic, but a position well earned in experience.

It is an age old pursuit to emulate ambergris and one that I share with them. The perfumers of many years have always used the real thing because the real ambergris has such an incredible effect on a perfumes performance. It is the longevity and the enhancement that count. I would love to work on it with them actually.

I make many of my own ingredients and it is a huge part of the perfumers passion. To emulate and borrow the lessons from nature.
    Last edited by mumsy; 25th April 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Totally agree with you mumsy in practice and so glad that a few perfumers still choose quality - just hoping that one day more effective, quality substitutes may be developed for the mass market - although suspect that this will probably not be in my lifetime.

Ambergris is found in 1 out of 100 whales. All that kilo's stuff is fake 100%. Buy NZ ambergris only or flush your money down the toilet.

You cannot argue with quality......

About a year ago i bought 10 ml of 3% ambergris at The Perfumers Apprentice (about $70, i think and not sure Linda still sells it), and used it to my full satisfaction in different formulations. However, i can't compare it with other sources. Anyone who can second the quality of PA's ambergris tincture? Am i using "the good stuff" or could there be another world of ambergris in NZ just to be discovered by me ?

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

My current tincture is 2%, bought from Hermitage, but maybe see this recent thread? :-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/351...istincture-com

My post #22 below was made in response to the specific question in posts #17 & 19, rather than for any other purpose - hopefully someone else will be able to tell you - N.Z. website indicates 1%, 3% & 6%.

Edited post #22
    Last edited by lpp; 26th April 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Well this is crazy. I will let you guys know if I find any of the stuff washed up on the beach here.

I have purchased from both Douglas at http://www.scentsualantiquities.com/ (3%) and Linda at Perfumer's Apprentice (1% and 3%). Both products were excellent. Douglas also sells an Ambergris Absolute created from a "new extraction method; a true, two part, phytonic hydrocarbon process". Haven't tried his absolute.