Code of Conduct

Default Costume National Homme - Very Nice!

Popped into Selfridges today to see my friend David who works in the niche fragrance hall. He recommended I try Costume National Homme as he knows I like spicy orientals.

He wasn't wrong, this is really lovely fragrance, distinctive and one that I am going to have to go full bottle on.

Top Notes: grapefruit, cardamom, bergamot.
    Heart Notes: cinnamon, thyme and cloves.
    Base Notes: patchouli, sandalwood and labdanum.

The way it's blended, the patchouli, cardomom and cloves mix beautifully with the cinammon to provide a really nice distinctive oriental.

Absolutely a real find. I like it a great deal.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Costume National Homme - Very Nice!

I have been trying this for the past month, on and off, from a decant from a generous Basenoter.

First of all, this stuff is incredibly radiant and strong. One spray scents me for hours upon hours. I sprayed it in my bedroom and the entire part of my home smelled like the fragrance for about an hour. Amazing. It's tenacity reminds me of Black Orchid by Tom Ford, but of course the CN is more 'masculine' (whatever that means...).

The spices and the way they interplay with the citrus is quite dazzling, but I can't help feel that they are all overwhelmed ultimately by the woody amber base. A very diffusive, very tenacious, extremely strong woody amber base. Sort of something you'd smell from a candle or even (I don't mean this as an insult) a laundry detergent.

Wearing it, it seems like I can't get away from the scent far enough to actually enjoy it. I keep thinking that next time I sample it, I'm going to spray some on my lower back or my knee caps, just to see if that makes the scents wear-ability more tolerable. Seriously. I think I would enjoy smelling this on someone else (lightly applied of course) but wearing it myself it borders on cloying and makes me feel like I'm in a hermetically sealed bubble of fragrance. That, I don't like.

Maybe I would enjoy a Light or Summer version of this (or a body lotion)?

Of course I keep going back again and again, to revisit it because I (for the most part) adore Dominique Ropion's creations - and I am such a fan of cinnamon prominent scents. Still...it hasn't clicked yet.

I tried this in Selfridges when I was visiting London recently and had to buy it straight away. I absolutely love it. It's strong and a little goes a long way. I sprayed some on the collar of a jacket I wore while in London and I can still smell it over 3 weeks later.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this.

I will be buying a bottle of this, without any shadow of a doubt.

Mike I know what you mean about the base. It's funny because when you go nose to skin on it all you can smell is the base, but around you you have a cloud of the lighter spice notes.

It's one of the most enjoyable fragrances I've discovered in a long time. Highly recommended.

And yes, Riverwide, if I'd had the money, I would have bought a bottle there and then.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

This is on my short list....I got a sample from luckyscent not expecting much..It blew me away...FULL BOTTLE NEEDED YESTERDAY..

So what would your verdicts be on the appropriate wear of this fragrance? Everyday? Romantic Date? Office wear?

Quote Originally Posted by mike1990 View Post
    So what would your verdicts be on the appropriate wear of this fragrance? Everyday? Romantic Date? Office wear?
    I think you could wear it anywhere to be honest. I would wear it for work, casual wear and it would do well as an elegant evening fragrance.

I agree it is very casual w/o being toooo common. People that know this fragrance will know exactly what it is..Very elegant!!!

It's a parfum by the way, not an EDT. It certainly lasts for ages!

CN Scent Intense is one of my favorites, hopefully I'll find time to spring for a decant / sample of this soon!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Oh I did not know that. That explains the unbelievable strength of it, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    This picture shows it comes in EDP strength unless they have a parfum too...

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I have a sample of this stuff ... it is great indeed!

I got my sample today in the mail and to me, it smells very similiar to Black Orchid, albeit the opening is much less sweet but slightly more spice.

The dry-down between the both of them is very comparable, though BO still has massive sillage after 9 hours while Costume National Homme stays rather close to skin.

Would I say its a good scent? Yes, it certainly isn't bad. However, since I already own Black Orchid, I don't see a need to buy this one and will have to give it a past.

CN 21 is very nice however.