Code of Conduct

Default Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui: Original vs. Reformulated (PICS).

First of all, the original bottle. I obtained one from the early 1980s (3 ounce). It says "Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui" towards the top of the front of the bottle (no ovals anywhere). The type face is bolder, and looks more "70s like." Towards the bottom it says "Eau De Toilette 87°." Underneath that it says "Spray Naturel." All of the letter are in capitals. The cap is different from the new one. It is a heavy duty, rubbery plastic rather than the flimsy/thin new one. It also has a star symbol on top, which the new one does not have. The sticker on the bottom is brown, not transparent, and it has no serial number, as the new one does. The newer one just says Pour Lui on the top of the front, so it must be the new formulation. There is "Oscar de la Renta" on the bottom, and on top of that, "Eau de Toilette" (see http://www.skinstep.com/product_imag...2956640705.jpg, for example).

About the scent itself. The thing that struck me the most was that the new one comes across as a bunch of notes forced together, almost like an EdP formulation that was, however, somehow not made any stronger than the EdT. In the original one, the notes seem to have more separation from each other, and there is a sense of "transparency." I can see why some say it is very similar (the smell itself is), whereas others say the new one is not good at all. The new one certainly seems to be less "artfully" made. I just sampled the original today (on my ankle) because I had already applied a different frag to the chest, so I'll have to give it a full wearing within the next week and then I'll post back here.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th April 2010 at 07:29 PM.

Default Re: Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui: Original vs. Reformulated.

Okay, second wearing of the original formulation. I'm surprised that it's definitely not any stronger than the latest formulation, and that while it seems to be the same scent, the notes are articulated better in the original one (as I said in the first post). I'll just add that I also noticed a similar construction in Cuba Green Jeans, though I don't know if this is a copy of any particular frag. In both of these, the notes seem to be squeezed together, but the smell the "natural" and pleasant. In this kind of construction, which I'm guessing is cheaper to do, there is a bluntness to it. It's the opposite of "transparency." The sillage is not very strong in the original Pour Lui that I have, but that may be due to how it was stored over the years. I would say that they are different enough (at least to the aficionado) that it may be a good idea to have both, if you like the smell of course.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Good review, Bigsly. You have objectively analysed what is better about the original without trashing the (still good) new edition. Nice one.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I finally received a rare 15 ml of the original formulation in the mail today. While it doesn't seem like much, the original is becoming increasing difficult to procure (unless someone knows of a gigantic stash laid up somewhere that I've somehow missed). I am a big fan of the reformulation (it has been in my top 3 favorites for quite some time). Although it does smell thinner than the original, the scents are actually very similar. Actually, AromiErotici made the "thinner" observation in a thread a while back. That most adequately describes the difference to my nose. I do not notice any more of a separation of the notes in the original as opposed to the reformulation. The vintage is denser (the densest fragrance I have EVER smelled), although I really don't think I necessarily prefer it over the reformulation. Yes, I agree that the original is a slightly better crafted fragrance, but the differences to me are not significant enough to keep me from enjoying the reformulation for [hopefully] many, many years to come.

Bigsly & SM this is good topic discussion. Now i understand how the strength of reformulation version compare to original version. But i'm glad still can enjoying the reformulation that give me bound of the attitude.

Kudos.............
    Last edited by ruffin; 17th April 2010 at 11:11 AM.

I re-sampled the reformulated version about a month ago, and I thought the reformulated version was more transparent! The old stuff to me smells anything but transparent. The funny thing is that when I first smelled the new version about a year ago I hated it, mainly because I thought it was sloppily constructed and not transparent. Just goes to show how opinions can change over time.

Just because the new stuff isn't quite as loud as the original, that's not to say it's no longer a real Powerhouse. It's still a mean SOB.

Last year I got a sample of the original and, well, really love it... I've been afraid of trying the reformulation. I'm glad to get good opinions on the new stuff. I'll seek out a bottle!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

However it is best described, sampling these two is a really good fragrance lesson. Like I said, the new one reminds me of an EdP formulation. I wear some "women's" EdPs, such as Magical Moon and Escada Collection, and they have a "rounded" quality, even though they are very strong. Yet in those, the notes seem to be more articulated. Could it simply be that the new one is blended more? In the old one, there seems to be "space" between the major notes, and it is this space that gave me the idea of "transparency," though not being a fan of transparent frags, I would certainly defer to someone who said that the old one should not be classified in this way. One thing that did cross my mind is that when notes are compressed like this, it might create the "hairspray" comments that you sometimes read about in reviews.

Here is a pic of the really old one:

Last edited by Bigsly; 18th April 2010 at 07:18 PM.

I have 50 ml bottles of vintage and reformulated Pour Lui. I bought the vintage after and was quite surprised to find it less strong.
    Like Bigsly, I found the vintage juice to be transparent. It is not a light scent by any means but I do not smell it constantly.
    I wear both versions but spray much less when wearing the new juice.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 16th October 2010 at 04:08 AM.

PawelL

Default Re: Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui: Original vs. Reformulated (PICS).

Now I got really confused, could you please tell me which of the four pictured below is VINTAGE?

PawelL

PawelL

PawelL

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The first 2 (posts 10 and 11) are new versions while the last pair (posts 12 and 13) are the vintage versions.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 31st July 2010 at 05:47 PM.

#BBOG!

PawelL

Thank you!
    Reliable as ever.
    Respect,
    P :-)
    Last edited by PawelL; 31st July 2010 at 05:51 PM.

Wow, if that's correct, I somehow got a vintage bottle (#10) last December. I had no idea! I just assumed it was the reformulated version. Cool! :-)

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Edit alert: i wrote my post 14 in reverse order. Now corrected.

Apologies.

#BBOG!

PawelL

Thank you.

Which to expect in this packaging then?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PawelL View Post
    Thank you.

Which to expect in this packaging then?

From the prominent "Pour Lui" on the box, its looking like the new one.

#BBOG!

PawelL

Thanks very much!

i was almost convinced that vintage versions are always better and my experience was always as expected until i tried pour lui vintage....you can see similarities between vintage and new but surprisingly i like the new one more..i actually bought 8oz size of vintage version..i would be keeping it for its rarity but the new one is more crisp, more refreshing..

I have the first one that appeared on the market and that one is just fine for me. Never felt the need to purchase the newer one.

AromiErotici

I have the original and have also had the reformulated. I prefer the original one, but the newer release is just fine.

The newer release has a more generic base, so if you like that base then the new one is for you. The old one's base, however, is considerably richer, though perhaps not as strong.

Ahhhh sweeet memories !!!

My 2 fav frags in 1987 and the 2 first I used -

Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui
    Davidoff Original

The new formulation of ODLR PL is just fine by the way
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I re-sampled the reformulated version about a month ago, and I thought the reformulated version was more transparent! The old stuff to me smells anything but transparent. The funny thing is that when I first smelled the new version about a year ago I hated it, mainly because I thought it was sloppily constructed and not transparent. Just goes to show how opinions can change over time.

Just because the new stuff isn't quite as loud as the original, that's not to say it's no longer a real Powerhouse. It's still a mean SOB.
    Agreed. I bought this (new version) some month ago. I didn`t like it much then, so I gave it to a friend of my as a gift. I guess I was too quick to judge this fragrance, because everytime I smell it on my friend, it smells great! I think it was the top notes that was too sharp and unpleasant for me. Now I have ordered a new 1.7 oz bottle from fragrancenet. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Agreed. I bought this (new version) some month ago. I didn`t like it much then, so I gave it to a friend of my as a gift. I guess I was too quick to judge this fragrance, because everytime I smell it on my friend, it smells great! I think it was the top notes that was too sharp and unpleasant for me. Now I have ordered a new 1.7 oz bottle from fragrancenet. :-)
    This stuff is still great - trust me.
    I literally bathed in ODLR Pour Lui in 1987-1988 - used 3-4 bottles a year of the stuff.
    This news tuff is very close to the original, in fact as mentioned kore like a Perfume version, very potent and strong and I get easily 8-10 hours longevity from it.

I rate it 9.5/10 - I love this strong potent green stuff from the 80's.
    To smooth it out a bit, I sometimes mix it with Lomani Pour Homme - a compliment getter among the older ladies for sure
    Got complimented from my dads GF last time I wore it !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

There is something about this fragrance that makes the loud oriental ruckus it creates bearable. It reminds me very much of "Paul Sebastian " by Paul Sebastian except LUI has way more class and contains better ingredients. This is a loud scent and not for those uncomfortable with being noticed. This can be a complete disaster on the wrong person. You won't be able to squeak by until you wash it off.

Lui carries itself in a proper manner while still being loud and attracting attention. PS is just as loud but a cheaper variation.

If you can't find one you might want to try the other. Maybe that will work for you.

I am tempted to try this again but this time using a lot less than what I did in the store.

The reformulated version is thin and watered-down while the vintage is rich and dark. Wrote about this in depth about 4 or 5 years ago.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    The reformulated version is thin and watered-down while the vintage is rich and dark. Wrote about this in depth about 4 or 5 years ago.
    Wow. I tried this in mexico a few months ago and it was a monster. Maybe they get a different version down there ? I was getting the french version of almost everything.

Where is Lui produced ?

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    There is something about this fragrance that makes the loud oriental ruckus it creates bearable. It reminds me very much of "Paul Sebastian " by Paul Sebastian except LUI has way more class and contains better ingredients. This is a loud scent and not for those uncomfortable with being noticed. This can be a complete disaster on the wrong person. You won't be able to squeak by until you wash it off.

Lui carries itself in a proper manner while still being loud and attracting attention. PS is just as loud but a cheaper variation.

If you can't find one you might want to try the other. Maybe that will work for you.

I am tempted to try this again but this time using a lot less than what I did in the store.
    Agreed. I think the trick with this one is to go very easy on the trigger, and have the patience to wait for the dry-down. Attire: Iron white shirt is minimum requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Agreed. I think the trick with this one is to go very easy on the trigger, and have the patience to wait for the dry-down. Attire: Iron white shirt is minimum requirement.

Huhhhhh.....I wore this frag everyday in high school wearing jeans and a polo shirt ?!?

You can wear this frag everywhere and it goes great with any attire IMHO
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post

Huhhhhh.....I wore this frag everyday in high school wearing jeans and a polo shirt ?!?

You can wear this frag everywhere and it goes great with any attire IMHO
    Well, we have all different wiew on how a scent will "fit in" the best way. IMO Pour Lui require a certain style and class from the user.