Code of Conduct

Default Seriously, why do Turn & Sanchez hate Creed so much?

I have their book "Perfumes: The A-Z Guide" and just about the only fragrance they give any props to at all is Green Irish Tweed. They have nothing but bad things to say about Creed in general, and even the positive GIT review seems forced.

In addition to that, they repeatedly trash Creed's packaging and bottle design. I think the Creed packaging & bottle designs are great! I've only smelled Royal Water, Silver Mountain Water, and Green Irish Tweed, but all of them are fantastic fragrances. My only complaint is that they are a bit over priced. The book is a great resource, especially for new fragheads like myself, but even aside from the Creed-bashing, a lot of the reviews come off as pompous, self-righteous, and biased towards certain houses. The bias in favor of Estée Lauder is equally apparent to the negative bias toward Creed. That being said, I do love it when they trash the frags that deserve trashing such as <insert fragrance created by pop icon X here>.

Also, I get a distinct and boastful association with the Makeup Alley community as having superior olfactory senses to others.

What do you guys think about this? Am I alone in thinking that they are way off base with their opinions about Creed frags and the packaging/bottle design?

Default Re: Seriously, why do Turn & Sanchez hate Creed so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Virabhadra View Post
    The book is a great resource, especially for new fragheads like myself, but even aside from the Creed-bashing, a lot of the reviews come off as pompous, self-righteous, and biased towards certain houses. The bias in favor of Estée Lauder is equally apparent to the negative bias toward Creed.
    But the venomous reviews are the best parts of the book!

I'm sure many people will agree with you about their Creed reviews being too harsh. I do think that there seems to be a little bias in favor of some houses of others but Turin/Sanchez are equal opportunity eviscerators, ripping apart fragrances from Estee Lauder, PdN etc and that keeps their credibility in tact. As far as critics go I find them to be pretty solid (but not faultless) and I think most of their Creed reviews are about right.

Yes, Turin seems to have some kind of grudge against Olivier Creed, and he doesn't seem willing to judge the fragrances strictly on their own merits. Many Basenotes members suffer from the same affliction.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Yes, Turin seems to have some kind of grudge against Olivier Creed, and he doesn't seem willing to judge the fragrances strictly on their own merits. Many Basenotes members suffer from the same affliction.
    Hmm, a fragrance house that flogs vastly overpriced and uninspired perfumes while lying about their history and who the perfume was supposedly created for? What about that can you not like? :P

Creed fans rave over it and Creed haters loathe it, Turin just happens to be in our camp. If you like it, like it.

They are writing from their personal tastes, as is everyone. I've smelled a number of okay Creeds, even nice ones, but nothing yet has made me think "Oh, I must own that."

I'm Creed apathetic, but many on the forum are Creed passionate, one way or another, so prepare for a stormy thread.

Turin and Sanchez are critics and they share their subjective opinions. If they are right or wrong is up to the reader to decide.

I happen to agree with them about Creed's bottles and packaging; I find them trashy as hell.
    Last edited by tott; 15th April 2010 at 05:47 AM.

You have to wonder what's going on when Mugler Cologne gets four stars for its "steam clean" accord, while Original Vetiver gets one star and a kick in the shins for "managing to make whatever vetiver it contains almost imperceptible."

Nevertheless, I find the Guide quite delightful. I treasure every (perceived) inconsistency. In my recurring fantasy, LT slaps himself upside the head and announces in wonderment, "Yes, Rose 31 does smell like carrot juice, AND THAT'S OK! In fact, now that I smell it again, this stuff is freaking great!! Five stars!"

I have their book "Perfumes: The A-Z Guide" and just about the only fragrance they give any props to at all is Green Irish Tweed. They have nothing but bad things to say about Creed in general, and even the positive GIT review seems forced.

In addition to that, they repeatedly trash Creed's packaging and bottle design. I think the Creed packaging & bottle designs are great! I've only smelled Royal Water, Silver Mountain Water, and Green Irish Tweed, but all of them are fantastic fragrances. My only complaint is that they are a bit over priced. The book is a great resource, especially for new fragheads like myself, but even aside from the Creed-bashing, a lot of the reviews come off as pompous, self-righteous, and biased towards certain houses. The bias in favor of Estée Lauder is equally apparent to the negative bias toward Creed. That being said, I do love it when they trash the frags that deserve trashing such as <insert fragrance created by pop icon X here>.

Also, I get a distinct and boastful association with the Makeup Alley community as having superior olfactory senses to others.

What do you guys think about this? Am I alone in thinking that they are way off base with their opinions about Creed frags and the packaging/bottle design?
    Ms Sanchez was a long standing member of MUA and wrote her reviews there.

What about Caron? Another brand kicked black and blue and beaten to a pulp in the Guide.

Took me a long time to find a Creed I liked. Now I find them too expensive for what they are.
    DONNA

Well, LT and TS are biased and I have no problem with that since their bias is quite explicit and their reviews are entertaining. I have no personal opinion on Creeds, I never smelled one. Their packaging are boring, but Parfums de Nicolaï packagings are worse (and LT and TS love PdN). And there are many boring packagings out there, let alone famous niche houses that don't take risks at all with their trite square bottles.

LT and TS don't like English perfumery in general (take their reviews of the Penhaligon's). They adore Calice Becker's creations. They have a strong positive bias for the French classics from Chanel and Guerlain. They are watchful about reformulations and when they don't like a reformulation they say it, even for Chanel and Guerlain sacred cows. But would their book be so successful without strong bias?

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Hmm, a fragrance house that flogs vastly overpriced and uninspired perfumes while lying about their history and who the perfume was supposedly created for? What about that can you not like? :P

Creed fans rave over it and Creed haters loathe it, Turin just happens to be in our camp. If you like it, like it.
    Thanks for proving my point. You're letting your low opinion of the company's history (real or manufactured) influence your opinion of the scents. I've never seen a Creed fan rave over their marketing; these are just people capable of appreciating the fragrances on their own merits.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Okay... so far strifeknot is the only one who has expressed an understanding of the point I was trying to make, so perhaps the fault lies with me.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and people's opinions differ. I think I grasped that before I started growing hair down there. What I am trying to ask is whether or not anyone else senses that there is something else (besides the way the perfume smells) motivating their expressions of dislike.

Let me speculate here... one of the authors (let's say Luca Turin since strifeknot pointed him out) had someone he was desperately attracted to in college years back named Betty-Joe. Luca is working up the guts to approach Betty-Joe and it has taken him a week to decide just how to do this. Finally, he decides that he is going to ask her out on Friday, just before school lets out for the weekend. Come Friday morning, he opens his bathroom cabinet and to his absolute horror, he realizes his bottle of Erolfa is empty and he forgot to order a replacement! He is now faced with his Grandmother's Estée Lauder collection, or nothing at all. He grabs one of her Estée Lauders, spritzes 6 times on his arms and 3 extra chest-sprays for good luck, and heads to school... ... ...it all happened in slow motion. He began walking toward Betty-Joe. Just as he was about to reach her, she smiles... but not at him. A man paces past him toward Betty-Joe. He distinctly smells a waft of Erolfa on the man. The man and Betty-Joe kiss deeply as Luca wipes a tear from his eye. Suddenly, a woman approaches Luca. She introduces herself as Tania and complements him on his fragrance. Ever since then, Tania demands that he wear Estée Lauder at all times. Also, Luca never forgot the day that Creed had betrayed him. He never forgot that Betty-Joe was forever in the arms of Erolfa, and that he---who would have had Betty-Joe all to himself had he never run out of his precious juice---was forever within the fetid and harrowing death-grasp of Tania and Estée; destined to withstand Tania's donkey laughs of joy while watching a badly-worn VHS recording of "Estée Lauder - A History" every night for all of eternity.

Either that or he simply doesn't like Creed and that is that. Both scenarios are equally possible, although I think that given the lack of evidence, the Betty-Joe one is a bit more likely.
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 15th April 2010 at 08:24 AM.

If I counted them correctly, Tania Sanchez wrote two of the Creed reviews and Luca Turin 26. There are four stars for GIT<**** = recommended >. That does not sound as glamorous as it is. But let's not forget that good, in terms of these authors alredy means a lot, and the bulk of those reviewed (13) has indeed been classified as good! Not recommended <**> have been six, and another eight have even been called 'avoid'.

I think even within a group of think-alikes it is always possible to disagree by 1* within a five-star range. With this in mind, I am probably not the only one who usually has few to no problems with the authors' ratings (which, b.t.w.are agreed upon ratings, except where shown otherwise).

In spite of this, I do find the total of eight fragrances classified as <*= void> quite remarkable. But then, none of those I heard much about from others either.
    In short: I am not convinced that 'hate' could be evidenced.
    Last edited by narcus; 15th April 2010 at 12:33 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Turin and Sanchez - witty but shitty!

Reine

Basenotes Plus

LOL, Betty-Joe... that's helluva 'backstory' ..with probably as much credibility as some of the claims made by Creed's spin doctors. I enjoy reading the Guide, and Turin & Sanchez can thrash my favorite scents as much as they want to. I think it's nice to know that 'experts' don't always 'get it'... makes them a little more 'human'.

Because Creed is boring. Expencive boring. And Creed is NOT english perfumery.

However, i dont get why he loves BP, it smells like cheap shampoo.
    Last edited by Nausicaä; 15th April 2010 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Thanks for proving my point. You're letting your low opinion of the company's history (real or manufactured) influence your opinion of the scents. I've never seen a Creed fan rave over their marketing; these are just people capable of appreciating the fragrances on their own merits.
    I'm not. I had no idea who Creed is or what they claim to be before smelling a few of their fragrances and I just wasn't impressed. You are implying that my dislike for their "to the manner born" marketing makes me despise their products. You are attempting to poison the well with unrelated circumstantial information to attack your oppositions' neutrality and bolster your own position.

Let's make a deal; I'll be in NYC sometime in the next few months and I'll make a special trip to their New York boutique and retry their fragrances. If become a convert to the House of CREED I will gladly recant my previous blasphemies and sing their praises.

Also, Luca never forgot the day that Creed had betrayed him. He never forgot that Betty-Joe was forever in the arms of Erolfa, and that he---who would have had Betty-Joe all to himself had he never run out of his precious juice---was forever within the fetid and harrowing death-grasp of Tania and Estée; destined to withstand Tania's donkey laughs of joy while watching a badly-worn VHS recording of "Estée Lauder - A History" every night for all of eternity.

Either that or he simply doesn't like Creed and that is that. Both scenarios are equally possible, although I think that given the lack of evidence, the Betty-Joe one is a bit more likely.
    Hahaha, "donkey laughs of joy", good post.

Creed and Estee Lauder do seem to oppose each other on the marketing/pricing spectrum; one is ubiquitous and cheap and the other is very expensive and exclusive. I prefer Lauder's egalitarian approach of selling good products at low prices with no vast volumes of purple prose attached. Creed represents everything I thought perfume was before I became interested in it, a Veblen good pimped on extensive promises of tradition and exclusivity.

Blog Entries

I cannot speak for Turin and Sanchez but, as for me, I have never found the Creed fragrances that I have tried to be comesurate with the pricing or the infered notoriety of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'm Creed apathetic
    As am I. I absolutely love most Creed frags, but NONE of them, in my mind, are justifiable in terms of price point, particularly when you consider I'm one of the many who cannot detect a single difference between GIT and Cool Water at any point of the dry down. I couldn't give two figs about the made up history - that doesn't change the smell or quality of the juice - but I understand why many people have a downer on Creed for those reasons.

Isn't it a bit like hating the Beatles?

The biggest issues I have with creed are #1 their prices, #2 inconsistancy in producing the same scent, and #3 dismal longevity
    other than that, I would say I liked 50% of the fragrances I have tried from that house, and they are very wearable and unoffending to the average individual
    Last edited by Hasupk@gmail.com; 19th April 2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I am fairly new here and have not read the book in question. I love at least three Creed perfumes and also the packaging. I am puzzled by any hatred .I find them very good quality and if they sell by association with royals etc that is not what impresses me , the quality does.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post

Isn't it a bit like hating the Beatles?
    No - I think it's a bit like hating Creed.

1.They don't hate Creed. That term should be reserved for their feelings towards Villoresi and Mona di Orio .
    2. They (at least Luca) are biased, certainly in part from the facts of
    a. detesting the entire faux-history marketing
    b. prefering the classic French style of complex fragrance construction which most Creeds do not subscribe to. This leads to comparatively weaker ratings of GIT vs. Cool Water, or OV vs. Mugler Cologne.
    3. Turin does state that Creed is good at making simple fragrances from top tier materials and judges a wide range of them accordingly (Neroli Sauvage, Jasmal etc. pp.)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    1.They don't hate Creed. That term should be reserved for their feelings towards Villoresi and Mona di Orio .
    2. They (at least Luca) are biased, certainly in part from the facts of
    a. detesting the entire faux-history marketing
    b. prefering the classic French style of complex fragrance construction which most Creeds do not subscribe to. This leads to comparatively weaker ratings of GIT vs. Cool Water, or OV vs. Mugler Cologne.
    3. Turin does state that Creed is good at making simple fragrances from top tier materials and judges a wide range of them accordingly (Neroli Sauvage, Jasmal etc. pp.)
    I also greatly dislike faux advertising--making up a story about a perfume house. You can see this in Parfums D'Orsay (founded in 1908, BTW, despite the box saying "depuis 1830") and Rance 1795. D'Orsay and Rance have some good fragrances, but why the faux history-making and hype? (I adore Le Dandy and Le Vainqueur, BTW.)

I also like some Creeds. Keep in mind all critics--of food, wine or movies--are making their own subjective conclusions. The Guide is great but not to be taken as truth for all.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Hello, I lost link pdf The guide 1994, flexitral site is off
    Can somebody help me, please?
    Last edited by nyneve; 17th May 2010 at 03:10 AM.
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

they probably are paid by or associated with estee lauder, who knows. I love Creed and it is a fine perfume house, it is not a cheap, shitty and synthetic based fragrance company like many we have these days that are way below the bar. The presentation of Creed is simple but elegant same as the bottle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    Hello, I lost link pdf The guide 1994, flexitral site is off
    Can somebody help me, please?
    You aren't by any chance referring to the free 2008 Guide PDF here:
    http://www.perfumestheguide.com/pdfs...wsletter-4.pdf

or the free 2009 update here? :
    http://www.perfumestheguide.com/Perf...%20reviews.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    You aren't by any chance referring to the free 2008 Guide PDF here:
    http://www.perfumestheguide.com/pdfs...wsletter-4.pdf

or the free 2009 update here? :
    http://www.perfumestheguide.com/Perf...%20reviews.pdf
    I think he's referring to the pdf of Turin's original guide, released in French back in 1994. There was a copy of it embedded in the old Flexitral site although I wasn't quite sure if it was for public use as, when I found it, it wasn't actually linked to anything.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

yes, I'm looking for french GUIDE, the first
    thanks, anyway :-)
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

I haven't smelled or heard about creed until I visited basenotes.
    For many reasons I must say it comes off as if it's tailored for bling rather than taste.
    If there were any rap songs that included frag brands, I'm sure creed would be top runner.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    If there were any rap songs that included frag brands, I'm sure creed would be top runner.
    Or maybe Bond No 9...

"they probably are paid by or associated with estee lauder, who knows. I love Creed and it is a fine perfume house, it is not a cheap, shitty and synthetic based fragrance company like many we have these days that are way below the bar. The presentation of Creed is simple but elegant same as the bottle."

I'd be careful with slanderous and completely unfounded accusations like that.

The type of Creed fragrance that the house now seems bent on discontinuing was indeed characterized by the quality of the natural oils it contained. On the other hand, their more popular "younger" scents like MI, SMW, Himalaya, OV, OS are chock full of synths and certainly not more natural than other niches. Even Windsor hnad a pretty synthetic vibe, which I personally cannot countenance, much less at that price. I find the men's bottles to be rather cheap looking myself, but that's a matter of taste. Metal caps would be an aesthetic minimum, though. And they should lose the fake Prince-of-Wales plumes and the references to tailoring-related royal warrant on the packaging. I have to say, I like the Creed perfumes I do like for what the juice is and despite what the brand stands for, everything else about them is a turn-off.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 17th May 2010 at 03:21 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Creeds, both new and old ones, usually don't induce an extatic reaction of a gas chromatograph in a form of some rich spectrum graph. It might be contributed to lack of impurities in the used raw materials whether natural or synthetic, choose at will. Or it might indicate relative straightforwardness in the construction of their fragrances.

It may be regarded as a weakness by those who like fragrances to be lush. Those who prefer decency might, on the other hand, feel relieved that there's still a company not trying to knock down all your 347 receptor kinds with a single spritz.

The rest is a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    yes, I'm looking for french GUIDE, the first
    thanks, anyway :-)
    I have the file of the 1994 edition, where Luca Turin reviews Bois du Portugal, to which he pays tribute as a superb, delightful and elegant success without any dandified note at all (his pet peeve).

He also pays tribute to GIT as a brilliant and richer predecessor of Cool Water. There is a review of Erolfa, that he judges to be more a fresh fragrance than a cold fragrance, with an instable balance between citrus and oyster notes.

There is not one single review in the 1994 guide that may give the impression that he dislikes Creed, let alone that he hates Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chassagne Montrachet View Post
    There is not one single review in the 1994 guide that may give the impression that he dislikes Creed, let alone that he hates Creed.
    His 1994 Creed reviews were very favorable - he even complements Erolfa's design as a unique solution to present aquatic notes by filtering them through a heavy citrus screen. Something definitely changed his attitude towards Creed since then. Anyways I don't give a feck ..
    Last edited by zztopp; 17th May 2010 at 06:34 PM.
    -

Don't pay too much attention to Turin's reviews. They have some entertainment value, but you can't take them too seriously.

Basenotes Institution

I 'like' some Creeds to be fair but not enough to buy a full bottle unless it's discounted and even then I tend to think of other fragrances first. So I do not own a single Creed scent.
    Creed fanboys/gals also put me off the brand . Not so sure about their history and their 'english /french' roots either.
    Everyone is entitled to their own points of view and frankly there are enough Creed lovers to keep them in business for a good few years yet...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

First of all I really like his book. But the "creed hate" is obvious. I mean Erolfa got one star and is one of my favourites. Maybe our taste is *that* different. I am by no means as experienced as he is.

But one thing striked me. He gave Green Irish Tweed four stars and Cool Water got five. That's unfair if one considers that CW is a knock off. Maybe the price is taken into account for his assessments.

I wanted to be part of the Creed community. Forget about Turin let the juice talk was my attitude.

Unfortunately I have not found a Creed I would splash out money on just yet. I am envious of those that have found their Creed bottle.

I will keep visiting their flagship store and continue ignoring the marketing lies the SA throws at me.

Wanna let the juice talk for itself.

Why do I keep visiting Creed? Only out of respect for the community of Base Noter's that I respect (Hear that Martin?)....

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I cannot speak for Turin and Sanchez but, as for me, I have never found the Creed fragrances that I have tried to be comesurate with the pricing or the infered notoriety of quality.
    Ditto!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    I wanted to be part of the Creed community. Forget about Turin let the juice talk was my attitude.

Unfortunately I have not found a Creed I would splash out money on just yet. I am envious of those that have found their Creed bottle.

I will keep visiting their flagship store and continue ignoring the marketing lies the SA throws at me.

Wanna let the juice talk for itself.

Why do I keep visiting Creed? Only out of respect for the community of Base Noter's that I respect (Hear that Martin?)....
    I think it's admirable that you're giving them a try - but no problem if they never ring your bell. There are some well-respected niche houses here that simply never clicked for me. Some worked for me after repeated testing, but others are still not making progress.

I recommend trying some of the offbeat citrus Creeds like Bois de Cedrat. That's the first Creed that really made sense to me.

There is something very interesting and noteworthy about how Creed comes up in radio interviews with either Luca or Tania. Even the most perfume-savvy interviewers tend to come across like a new BNer. They have "heard" - somehow - that Creed is the best, the oldest, the gold standard against which all of perfumery is measured. I sense a certain patient exasperation in the inevitable reeducation which follows, even though it is done with great respect and courtesy. Frankly, Creed's success at distorting the reality of the fragrance world at the entry level of this hobby - though done with all the good-intentioned capitalist gusto of any fragrance maker - must drive Turin and Sanchez bonkers, and is perhaps the source of their eye-rolling approach to Creed. I sense it even in myself. I've been wearing Tabarome Millesime all week, and I'm almost afraid to admit it for fear of coming off as a fanboy.

SO........

Thank goodness for all the folks here who don't get Creed. Say it loud and proud. This place could not stay real without you.

Quote Originally Posted by Louslice View Post
    Don't pay too much attention to Turin's reviews. They have some entertainment value, but you can't take them too seriously.
    Agree.

For many reasons I must say it comes off as if it's tailored for bling rather than taste.
    Pimp style! LOL

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I haven't smelled or heard about creed until I visited basenotes.
    Yeah, the first thing that came to mind when I sampled Millesime Imperiale was "ghetto fabulous." I could picture a blinged-out thug with gold teeth and a Lexus wearing that frag. I do like a couple Creeds but even the ones that I like are not worth it for the price, IMO.

The Creed hate with those two is undeniable. I see a lot of it on Basenotes, too, and I don't get it. While we're on the subject, I will throw in my 2 cents and skip the conjecture.

Royal Scottish Lavender is much better than the review Turin gave it. The Seville lavender used has a wonderful resinous quality that is not muted by the clove at all. There is even a nice fruitiness to it with the Creed ambergris and sandalwood base. At times it smells almost like watermelon and reminds me of Olivia Giacobetti's Tilleuil for Dorsay, a favorite of my husband's. The ambergris is definitely real, nice and salty, and my cat always licks my wrist when I wear it.

My husband wears Green Irish Tweed for formal occasions, Geranium Pour Monsieur to go out and Tilleuil in the summer. There is no comparison between Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water.

I bought his mother Spring Flower for Christmas one year, and she loves it. She never knew I was into perfume or knew what to get me as a gift, but she thought of me while she was on vacation in Capri and told me she loves that perfume so much, came across Carthusia and wanted to return the favor. So, I told her I would love Caprissimo, being a green floral gal, and that she'd probably like Aria di Capri for herself

Then my mother would love to wear orientals, but she suffers from migraines and gets rashes from some perfumes. Her sense of smell is very keen, and she usually avoids perfumes. But she has worn L'Air du Temps her whole life. I bought her Coco one year for mother's day. The two are very similar, in that they are structured on an accord between benzyl salicylate and eugenol. When I spoke with her recently, I was surprised at another perfume I had completely forgotten buying for her. But she loves it, and it is Royal Water. "The pretty but masculine one for Di." My mother loves romance novels and genealogy, so the marketing wins her over. But she likes the citrus, basil and musk with a touch of peach aldehyde in it. It makes sense in perspective.

There is a perfume for everyone, but I love Creed. I think they're as good as any other house, worth the price tag, but a matter of taste. My relatives are so white, too, directed at the ghetto comments! We love fried chicken and are good dancers, though
    Last edited by pearlfingering; 6th June 2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think it's admirable that you're giving them a try - but no problem if they never ring your bell. There are some well-respected niche houses here that simply never clicked for me. Some worked for me after repeated testing, but others are still not making progress.

I recommend trying some of the offbeat citrus Creeds like Bois de Cedrat. That's the first Creed that really made sense to me.

There is something very interesting and noteworthy about how Creed comes up in radio interviews with either Luca or Tania. Even the most perfume-savvy interviewers tend to come across like a new BNer. They have "heard" - somehow - that Creed is the best, the oldest, the gold standard against which all of perfumery is measured. I sense a certain patient exasperation in the inevitable reeducation which follows, even though it is done with great respect and courtesy. Frankly, Creed's success at distorting the reality of the fragrance world at the entry level of this hobby - though done with all the good-intentioned capitalist gusto of any fragrance maker - must drive Turin and Sanchez bonkers, and is perhaps the source of their eye-rolling approach to Creed. I sense it even in myself. I've been wearing Tabarome Millesime all week, and I'm almost afraid to admit it for fear of coming off as a fanboy.

SO........

Thank goodness for all the folks here who don't get Creed. Say it loud and proud. This place could not stay real without you.
    Thanks Redneck for a very interesting and thought-provoking comment.

What bothers me most about Creed is the dishonesty. False history and royal connections, okay fine, they aren't unique in bending the truth about their origins. But I've never heard such ridiculous marketing as I've heard from Creed sales associates. My jaw almost dropped in Bergdorf's when the sales associate told me with a straight face that Creed's natural materials or whatever had the magical property of "neutralizing free radicals." I mean, come ON! This is perfume, not antioxidant-rich health food!

Undoubtedly, this absurd sales-speak contributes to the irritation that Redneck points out. It certainly doesn't encourage me to want to try the line out. I mean, Chanel and Guerlain don't have to tell me how unique and special their ingredients are. One sniff can tell me that.